Mr. Walter Brown...
"I call any and everyone to the mat, show me proof of concept why Vista is such trash, and dont point me to articles written by people who just like to hear themselves bitch, list out, in bullet points, issues that you have personally had / discovered with Vista. hardware issues, anything...
or are you too full of hot and taking swipes at someone just to make yourself look and feel cool?
....bring it? Are we in a nerd cheerleading movie now? Where should I begin... how about what I do. I'm a LAN admin/help desk/answer your retarded windows vista questions 9 hours a day, who works for the US Government. I'm a 14 year mac user, but I do own a wintel box, and my wife owns a laptop with vista. So you want proof of concept... maybe some... personal experiences. Well, I step to the mat to your challenge. Oh, and before you start with the mac fanboy shit. Yeah I'm a mac fan, big fan honestly, but I still respect Windows XP. It has its goods and bads, no different from OS X. Vista on the other hand, has its bads.
Here's your much begged for list:
My wife bought a laptop about 3-4 months ago, maybe a little longer. Since then, she has begged me to buy a macbook so that she can get rid of it and use the macbook. For the last 2 weeks I've heard the laptop hit the living room couch with a thud that rivals a gunshot. Why you ask? Well let me begin...
1. She didn't take the advice of the "salesman" and buy the 1GB of RAM. Yes, true, her fault as much as Micro$ofts. But, can you tell me why, EVEN, after going back and ordering a 1GB stick of RAM that our Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz does the following:
Boots up faster.
Loads photoshop faster.
Loads itunes faster.
Can run more then 3 programs at once. (And I'm being serious! It is
nothing short of hell when you try to run IE7 with Windows mail and
The list could go on and if you wish it you'll receive. I'll let her type
it all if that tickles your fancy.
Why does it seem like the mac mini is out running the vista laptop? Oh, and by the way, before you even consider typing it. I didn't know about the above, until my wife pointed out after testing it out one day when I was at work.
2. Now here's a really annoying problem. For some reason... maybe my iBook spoiled her... upon opening the laptop it takes anywhere from 15-20 seconds for the screen to go from black to having either the login screen or the desktop. If this weren't bad enough, when it does finally turn on it does 3 black screen flashes that last about 3 seconds a piece. After you login, BOOM, 3 more black screen flashes. Updated Drivers? Hardware? What could it be? Let's see, 2 commanders where I work came in last week and asked if we could make it not do that anymore. One had a laptop, one had a desktop. My mother (who just switched back to a mac, because of Vista) had the exact same problem with her new laptop. And one of my closest friends has the exact same problem (keep in mind that he's also in the IT field). So may I ask? Hardware???? All are different computers. Drivers? All updated drivers (one even installed a new graphics card). Vista? You're call, not mine. I'm sure you'll mark me as a fanboy with exaggerated opinions anyways.
3. If I have to see one more pop up windows I'm going to hang myself. Are you sure? Are you really sure? IE7 is about to go to the following web page, for some reason or another you need to click here so that you can go? Really wanna go? You can't access this application because your not an admin and don't have access privileges. Hold shift + right click, login as admin. You do not have access because you are not an admin. Well... I kinda own the computer and I have admin rights. Should make me an admin right? Apparently not. File can not be run: application missing XXXXXASDFA12412XXXX. What did you do to make it stop working? I locked the computer and went out for a smoke. Came back and it wouldn't work. Well log me in so that we can run it again and I can get the exact error. Huh?? It's working now??? How??? I dunno. 30 minutes later, rinse and repeat. I'll be the first to say that I enjoy security, whether or not it's on a mac or a pc. But, can you classify it as security when you can't do anything at all? Or should we put that one under the non-productivity category?
4. Wireless internet, what an amazing thing!!! Absolutely perfect for laptops!!! Upon opening the laptop lid, after the usual 6 blinks (3 to start with, and 3 after login), clicking on internet explorer, firefox, or safari is something that I wouldn't recommend. Why? Because your internet connection hasn't been established yet. 1 minute rolls by, (Insert computer name) is connected to the following network: local access. 2 minutes roll by, (insert computer name) is connected to the following network: internet & local access. 3 minutes roll by, HURRAYYYY we're on the internet!!!! Who would've thought it could be so easy!!! Oh wait... open lid to iBook (insert your mac laptop) click on (insert browser of choice) and TA DAH the internet!!! Timing = 10-15 seconds max. Now I suppose this is just the wireless card, or the hardware? Honestly, that's what I thought. Apparently not. I've touched multiple vista laptops that do the same thing. Only difference, is the name that is on the computer. Which means that, they are different, yet have something in common. Vista.
5. Why does the recycle bin keep disappearing? Is it afraid of Vista also? Now I understand that it's just a right click away, but should I really have to deal with this every time I or my wife log in? Had an officer at work the other day with the same problem. I'm sure there's an answer, but I just flat out refuse to look that one up.
6. Now here is what has pissed me off the most. Due to the fact that my wife calls me into the living room every time something doesn't go right or work, I decided on Remote Desktop. Yeah, I know I'm lazy! But, for what it's worth, she unfortunately has to call me in there a lot! So simple fix let's use remote desktop. What? I don't have the right version of windows vista? Not true. At first this is what I was seeing everywhere, but it's not right. You still can, at least I think, I've still yet to do it. Why? Won't let me connect from the macmini, the ibook, or the XP box. Put all the computers outside of the firewall, tried vnc, apple remote desktop, chicken of the vnc, blah blah blah. Still no luck. I gave up and called tech support, which is like getting kicked in the nuts for me. Tech support guy walks me through it..... still no remote desktop. Walks me through it again... still no remote desktop. Tells me "Oh!!! You're version of Vista doesn't support remote desktop", I laugh, and hang up the phone. So I said "F" it, and chalked it up as a waste of many hours of my life.
7. Now, I guess this could have went in at #6 also, but it seemed to be getting long. File sharing! Considering that my wife and I just started a web design business file sharing was a no brainer. So i thought. Mac can't connect to the PC, PC can't connect to the Mac. Fix? Go into WIndows Vista's registry and change a 1 to a 0, or a 0 to a 1. Can't remember. After that it let the mac connect to the windows machine. But not Vice Versa, or so I thought. Apparently, I was wrong, and just needed to understand that I would connect to the Mac machine.... when it felt like it. Some days it connects w/out a hitch. Other days we just laugh, and she burns me a cd, which is then followed by her saying.... Should've got a mac, will you please install XP for me.
P.S. - This may have gotten better with Leopard, in fact I may check that tonight. Maybe apple fixed microsofts problem. <--- Sure that's gonna piss some people off.
With all of that said, I'm gonna stop there... for now. I may fell froggy and come back with some more. Also, before you say well number blah blah is trivial please bite your tongue. I use computers to, you ready?, make my life easier. I don't care that you can build a computer with this much ram and this big a hard drive and it'll be cheaper then a mac, or cheaper then a store bought computer. I have a life, I'm sorry. I enjoy my wife, friends, family, and my guitar. I also enjoy Crown Royal every once in awhile! From experience alcohol and computers just don't seem to mix that well. Last but not least if I wanna play games I'll play them while I'm laying in bed with my PS3 on the 60 inch. No, I don't care if you can hook it up to a projector, or that the "graphics are better", or that you have WoW. Congratulations! I hope that is treating you spectacular, but oddly enough if you would do a sample of who uses computers, I'm willing to bet that most of them are non-gamers. So please, for the sake of sanity, leave games out of this. And finally, just to trump your "....bring it on"..........
You just got served!
Have a nice day, and remember, when your reading this all you have to do is click ok 5 times and Vista will allow it!