back to article Austria OKs terror snooping Trojan plan

Austria has become one of the first countries to officially sanction the use of Trojan Horse malware as a tactic for monitoring the PCs of suspected terrorists and criminals. The measures were reportedly discussed in an Austrian cabinet meeting last week and turned over to a group of legal and technical experts to thrash out …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hate2Register
    Black Helicopters

Reverse logic... sucks!

While it's mildly funny watching governments racing to catch up with advances in communication, it proves they're a bunch of useless b@r$t@rds. I though the Echelon surveillance program might already be happily watching packets all over the net, watching what people download. If that doesn't already happen, our poor beleagured spooks are not as in control as the rumours they spread about themselves would have us believe.

And this state sanctioned malware. Should we accept Chinese malware because it's state sanctioned? Russian? American? Austrian? British? No, I don't think so.

And the public interest argument should apply to government computers. Governments have proved so incompetent, self -serving and crap, that they can't be trusted to hold secrets at all. So while they infest our computers with malware to try to "protect us", our clear duty is to infest theirs, to protect them from their own incompetence. So, malware may yet save the world.

And governments who overstep the mark in privacy intrusion should be chucked out, or at least have eggs thrown at them. Bye bye labour, it was quite nice at times, but I am finally sick of your bollocks, right to the back teeth.

2. Joseph
    Alien

Bah...they are 23 years behind schedule...

...but it's coming.

And it will not be imposed, but rather welcomed by the scores of mindless brainwashed people that make up society today....

/sigh

3. Mike Street
    Stop

They Should Talk to Sony

who have an 'off-the-shelf' rootkit solution.

What could possibly go wrong?

4. The Sceptic
    Thumb Up

@ Hate2Register

Its a valid and highly topical point you raise .

"And this state sanctioned malware. Should we accept Chinese malware because it's state sanctioned? Russian? American? Austrian? British?"

I think these are internal matters for the countries leaders. I noticed you kept the UK off and US of your list - is it OK for these guys to do it?

As far as I am concerned of course they can do this, if cross border parties such as ISP's are dumb enough to allow such intrusions to pass unchallenged then hell mend them. Get over it.

5. Kieron McCann
    Boffin

A simpler solution

Why not just put a state appointed security officer in every home and workplace to monitor everyone 24x7. Those of us who have nothing to hide have nothing to fear - they would only permanently detain/kill 'bad' people - you know those who have 'wrong' thoughts.

6. Tawakalna
    Happy

point of order..

The Sceptic said:-

"And this state sanctioned malware. Should we accept Chinese malware because it's state sanctioned? Russian? American? Austrian? British?"

I think these are internal matters for the countries leaders. I noticed you kept the UK off and US of your list - is it OK for these guys to do it?

UK is British, but let's assume that you did know that and it was just a typo :) If not, I'll send you mini-Taw's Bumper Book of Countries (an atlas) to help you :P

7. The Sceptic
    Coat

Peer pressure has gotten the better of me

Yes, I did comment before reading thank you for rubbing this in Tawakalna.

My point still stands - Who are we to decide on the rights and wrongs of those in authority for any country?

This topic is closed for new posts.