back to article Sony Ericsson Walkman W660i music phone

Sony Ericsson has made the most of its Walkman resurrection and is cashing in on the brand's cachet with a fast-growing range. But by filing the gaps with samey phones like the 3G-capable W660i, is Sony Ericsson in danger of losing its edge? Why change a winning formula? With the W660i, Sony Ericsson doesn’t. The W660i slips …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So why 3G??

What possible use is 3G comms on a tiny little screen like that?

I cannot believe that any sane person would watch by squinting at video on that thing. Downloading Word files, a Powerpoint presentation from the office perhaps, but you can't realistically read or edit them. You can't browse the internet properly, impossibly slow to enter a URL, really hard to click a link, pages don't render correctly and nobody pages designs them for small screen. Too hard, too slow.

So why, oh why, does this illusion of 3G being useful on a device like that stick around? I can't be the only person wondering this. Please someone, help, I really, really would like to know !

2. Colin Guthrie
    Thumb Down

Think I'll wait for Wi-Fi

Think I'll wait for the Wi-Fi enabled W960 version reviewed here: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/06/15/sonye_updates_walkman_line/

3. Alasdair Ewen

It's pretty good actually...

Decent phone, decent MP3 player, OK camera. Had one for two months, nothing to complain about! Web browser is good for such a small screen.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

why the awful camera?

The k750i, years old now, also had a 2mp camera but with macro and (especially) autofocus. With this phone they've managed to add the ten things you could possibly have missed on a k750i - but taken away autofocus, to blur your pictures.

I do hope this isn't camera-crippled just for marketing reasons - "ah, a half-workable camera? you want the *K* range, this is the *W* range mate, more walkman-oriented"...

5. Ed Collins

Cheap 3G phone

This looks like the chepaest 3G phone yet.

When you're stuck with a Three SIM that only works in 3G phones, which have a habit of breaking, it's good to know there's a sub 200 pound replacement available. It'll be better when they get to sub 50 pound, then I'll consider buying a spare. Three's repair service isn't bad, but a 3 day turn around soon grows with Royal Mail's strikes.

6. Gildas

Why 3G?

So you can use the phone as a laptop modem?

7. A J Stiles
    Black Helicopters

Conspiracy Theory

I'm not certain that it isn't a deliberate ploy by manufacturers to cripple phones so that they only do certain things properly, in order to get you to (a) buy a more expensive phone than you really wanted, or (b) buy two phones (and forever be topping them up). So the K-series have the best cameras, while the W-series have the best media players, and the P-series ..... well, we all know what the P is short for, don't we?

I've also noticed that Nokia phones seem to be getting a bit less ugly -- not that they could possibly get any *more* ugly. In fact the latest offerings from Nokia could almost be mistaken at first glance for Sony Ericssons, were it not for the "send" and "end" keys.

But when all is said and done, the primary purposes of a mobile phone are sending text messages, making and receiving voice calls and remembering the necessary names and phone numbers to make this possible. Photography, music-playing and personal organiser features are secondary. But then, we live in a culture where some people attach greater importance to ticks in boxes than the text alongside those boxes .....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like