back to article UK phone records to be kept for a year

UK telecoms companies will have to keep phone call logs for a year under a new law, which comes into force in October. The law does not apply to records of internet activity, such as web surfing, email, and Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) phone calls. The Data Retention (EC) Regulations (draft; the final Regulations were …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Robin Cook

Skype..

Time to install skype on my mobile and change price plans to something with a bit of data.

3. Nick

VoIP Me!

Well, VoIP me if there's not a serious loophole in this regulation. I'm not entirely certain what extra abilities it gives elfuzz, especially when Ozzy Bin Liner and his mates find out that Skype don't have to save this content. Seems like it will just help the 'casual investigation' rather than Terror Op Investigations by 5+6.

But hey, as well the tin hat brigade know, its not like Big Brother isn't aware of what we're all doing already.

4. Blubster

Yeah.... Right....

Sounds like a scam to get everyone to use the internet in the belief they're safe from prying eyes. ISP logging here we come.

5. Dillon Pyron

Tor?

I recently heard a speaker at a "white hat" conference (TRISC) advocate the use of tor. I'm waiting for someone to introduce an encrypted version of Skype.

6. Richard Neill

Encrypted skype?

> I'm waiting for someone to introduce an encrypted version of Skype.

Don't hold your breath. You'll never get one until it becomes open source (i.e. never). Skype claim they are already encrypted, but there's no way to know how good it is. Skype is one of those things that would be better if it weren't there: it's a deliberately proprietary protocol which has uses encryption to prevent interoperability, and which has displaced the superior and already-available standards.

Answer: use SIP and something like PGPfone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019