back to article Parliament's sci-tech committee faces permanent recess

The Science and Technology Committee is fighting a rearguard action to save itself after Gordon Brown’s overhaul of government departments terminated the Whitehall tentacle it was covering. Gordon Brown had barely got his key in the lock at number 10 before he carved up the DTI, with the result that the Office for Science and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oops it's my first day...

Yet again, we are shown how responsibilities to parliament and our *cough* representatives are over looked by a government that seem to have trouble with the concept of a our type of governance.

I suppose you could say the PM had a brown out when working this out.

2. Brian

dilute

I hope they don't dilute the committee that is overseeing science, seeing as it'll be overseeing quite a few groups. It should be overseen by a group of peers, but seeing as its a number of different groups/branches, it could fall foul to not being scrutinised properly.

3. Tim

No sooner are they disbanded than...

<<Dr Brian Iddon MP, a member of the committee, speaking to El Reg at an ID conference today>>

That'll be an Intelligent Design conference then?

4. Dillon Pyron

You silly Brits

The US government has gotten along quite well without any science oversight for quite a while. Who needs science when you have politics?

5. Adrian Esdaile

Title

"The US government has gotten along quite well without any science oversight for quite a while. Who needs science when you have politics?"

Who needs politics when you have fundamental religion? Any fool can see the Earth is flat!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

>>"The US government has gotten along quite well without any science oversight for quite a while. Who needs science when you have politics?"

>Who needs politics when you have fundamental religion? Any fool can see the Earth is flat!

As a physicist I can categorically prove that the Earth is NOT flat. It is very slightly concave to prevent the water running of the edges.

This topic is closed for new posts.