back to article NEC boffins develop 3D paint, spray it on laptops

NEC designers must have been working overtime if its latest creation is anything to go by: a coloured casing for its LaVie compact notebook with a unique 3D optical effect. LaVie 3D glasses not included... or necessary The LaVie G Type L Basic laptop, an expansion to NEC's existing LaVie notebook range, comes with a "snow …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brilliant... I must have one...

... but... errrmmm... do they do a version with XP instead of Vista???

2. Richard

When there's a magnetic field?

Okay, so it does something when there's a magnetic field, which I assume to mean when it's on? What does it look like when there's no magnetic field, i.e. when it's off? That would be useful to know. Can I hold a car speaker near it to see the cool 3D effect (and wipe my hard drive)?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

80Gb hard drive

Just enough for Vista then!

4. Cameron Colley

RE:When there's a magnetic field?

That was my first thought too -- then I realised that the magnetic field is most likely only applied while the paint is drying and, once the paint has dried, the pattern is fixed in place and the filed is no longer required.

5. Michael

Re: Brilliant... I must have one...

1) Format

2) Insert XP install disc

3) ...

4) Profit!

6. Marvin the Martian

Laptop Gnomes

Michael, you can combine phase (1) and (2).

Then phase (1) is format HD with XP disc. Phase (2) is ... eh. Phase (3), PROFIT!

Painting laptops eeees BIG BUSINESS.

But hey, if they are anyway playing with metal particles during the drying: why this borin' diamond pattern? You can get all kinds of weird figures, no sweat.

7. Jonathan

Regvertisement

How about some more technical info. about the paint to go with the headline?

8. Tony Haines

comment title required indeed.

I'm with Marvin. Just paint your rusty old laptop with hammerite.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shamelady

"a hologram-style criss-cross diamond pattern"

This is nonsense. It is clearly an ice cream wafer pattern. The orange laptop resembles a large, folding ice cream wafer, with USB ports etc. The people who buy these laptops will be teased because of this; they will be teased for carrying around a large, inedible ice cream wafer. I predict poor sales.

10. foxyshadis

Goofy and Cute

In Japan, something as kitschy as ice cream wafer paint might be a hot seller! It's been the 80's over there for two decades running, especially where electronics are concerned. I think it's cute. =D

Richard, you can't wipe a hard drive with a magnet, no matter how amazingly strong: http://www.treachery.net/~jdyson/infosec/secure_del.html [Scroll down to section 4 for magnetic methods.]

Well, a point-blank EMP might do it, but I think you'll have bigger problems then...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You don't need to wipe it to kill it...

From the link you posted foxyshadis:

"although even small external magnetic fields are sufficient to upset the normal operation of a hard disk"

From a user's perspective, scrambling is just as bad as wiping. Either way, your system is toast.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like