back to article Google buys DoubleClick for $3.1bn cash

Internet text-ad broker Google has purchased leading computer-tracking cookie provider DoubleClick for $3.1bn cash, the two companies announced today. The acquisition is Google's largest to date, just six months after purchasing YouTube for $1.65bn in stock. The move wraps Google's e-tendrils around DoubleClick's extensive …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Ferguson

I'm all for the amalgamation of online advertising companies.

It makes it easier to block adverts!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I do hope this means...

that DoubleClick will start sucking less from a user perspective. They've been prone to some very annoying adverts in days of yore...

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Now is the time to start distrusting

I cannot stand DoubleClick, and for its goals and its methods I care little. Now that Google has bought the demon spawn, I will be more suspicious about what Google is actually storing on my hard disk.

Pascal.

4. Christoforos Korakas

It was always about ads

It might have started as a search engine, but google was always an advertising company. It just mastered the online advertising using its dominant position as a gatekeeper of the Internet through the most efficient search engine yet. Its dominance starts to resemble very much the one Microsoft imposed on us the past 2 decades.

The buyout of the dreaded DoubleClick (which I personally hunt down like pest on my PCs) proves that Business and Ethics are very hard to pair.

If the “google is good" myth crumbles, (and such moves certainly help in that direction), there could be a massive reaction. Nobody wants to have all their mail, chats, calls, documents, calendars, contacts, notes, files, videos etc, stored in the hands of an ambiguous and eventually unscrupulous advertiser. NOBODY

Even if the service is good and free!!

I am already planning my retreat...

Finally ... even in the internet age, you really get what you pay for!

Christoforos Korakas

Athens, Greece

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like