back to article So what's in a URL? The Reg URL?

The Register started out as a UK operation with a UK addressed web site, but accidentally and against our expectations became a pretty successful international operation. In deference to marketing we should point out that in recent years the international success has been both planned and deliberate, but that certainly isn't …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

It's not broken

Both the co.uk and .com routes work, so leave it alone. It isn't broken, so leave it alone!

There are no user grounds for changing it. I can only suspect that someone in marketing feels that .com will attract more business. Rubbish! Success will attract business and you are already successful.

Anonymous Coward

.co.uk

.co.uk

I mean, why go with everyone else?

Don't rebrand

Being a UK brand is part of your image, it also signals (or possibly warns) readers that there may be the odd moment of British humour on the site.

Anonymous Coward

.co.uk is how I know theregister

Well, if I have to switch to .com, what can I do but .co.uk is how I got to know and how I still prefer to access theregister.

When .com was launched, I tried for a while to use that but then again as I said .co.uk is how I know theregister.

Anonymous Coward

flawed surveys

yeah, so you've established that people who want .co.uk are more likely to leave a comment here. Now what? Interpret as you see fit... pretend you consulted people :)

Anonymous Coward

Please keep it British!

This is what makes it attractive to me... the .co.uk is certainly part of that!

Anonymous Coward

start afresh

personally, I don't think you're either a .com or a .co.uk

set yourself up as theregister.net (with us.theregister.net and uk.theregister.net), you're an online magazine in effect, nothing to do with earthly locations (or thats how I see it)

.co.uk!

Please keep the .co.uk extension. Its nice for everyone who comes along to know that all the funny / informative articles they are reading are coming from a British source, instead of some androgynous, nationality-free entity.

.co.uk all the way!

Keep .co.uk

leave it as is.

Anonymous Coward

.co.uk

It's part of what The Register is... it's something in the tech world that has a was started in the UK so keep it please!

Anonymous Coward

www.theregister.co.uk

But us.theregister.co.uk is too nearly a pun gone wrong - usa.theregister.co.uk scans better

And for us Brits, blighty.theregister.co.uk if you'd be so kind.

Keep .co.uk

As most have mentioned, keep it as it. Be proud of your heritage, and sod the yanks! :o)

So are you saying that .co.uk makes you look bad?

Does it really matter what the extention is? Do you think people think less of your publication because its on a .co.uk extention? Do you think you will be taken more seriously with a .com?

Anonymous Coward

.co.uk

.co.uk for teh Win!!!11111oneeleven

readers in america should get usa.theregister.co.uk :P

Anonymous Coward

Title

.com = Corporate blandness, at least .co.uk still has a little quaintness attached to it, every business on earth seems to want an American .com address. Buck the trend and stay British!! (hmm.... it's .uk so maybe that should be "stay Kingdomish!"

Anonymous Coward

The branding is good

I'd say the .co.uk should be kept. It takes a lot to get a brand together and respected, something you have done very well, so any 'rebranding' normally comes over as either 'too much money/not enough sense' or 'we are in sooo much trouble'. (plus it means I don't have to remember the new url (-: )

Got to stay British!

I've been a loyal Reg fan for donkey's years - and value its Britishness. It tells the world to expect the correct spelling (it was our language first after all), British humour, and those world-famous Grauniad-style typographical errors.

To go all dotcom on us doesn't really matter, I suppose, but even if not percieved as American, it will stop you being seen as definitively British. That would be a shame.

Anonymous Coward

.co.uk

Because .com doesn't mean anything anymore.

.co.uk for t3h win !!

I'm a french reader and I'd like you to keep the .co.uk ext

Too much .com on the web and we don't know who they are...

.co.uk

.co.uk

Anonymous Coward

Title

Keep the .uk URL

Drop the .com

Seriously, why do you want to drop the British identity, I can't help thinking that there is the possibility of losing the sarcasm if you switch to .com. Plus there is the risk of the language changing to novo Americana.

Dexter

Keep .co.uk, but allow personalisation

I think you should keep .co.uk, but there are an increasing number of stories covering an expanding field of interests. There are also a number of people that complain that story X or story Y has no place in elReg.

Maybe the solution is to allow visitors to set preferences about which stories are included. US specific stories, UK specific stories, non-IT politics, funnies, etc.

When a user with no cookie arrives, maybe a default set of stories could be presented depending on their geo IP, with a clear option to change the selection.

Whatever the solution chosen... keep up the good work!

Anonymous Coward

.co.uk

Keep the .co.uk and show you're proud to be British!

Proud to be British

Everyone already knows the address, even the international user base, so why change it ?

We should be proud the the Reg is British and the .co.uk reflects that !!

Anonymous Coward

Stick With .co.uk!

I agree with the majority here that this started as a UK site, and you should be proud to still show off your Britishness!

Anonymous Coward

.co.uk

Do I detect the faintest sound of whalesong?

Stick with .co.uk

nuffsed

Anonymous Coward

.co.uk

Please stay true to your roots! The Register would lose a good part of what makes it stand out from the rest, if it were to drop part of its British identity.

Anonymous Coward

More American leads to being more American

In addition to the various other reasons (warning yanks of Britishness, branding, history, national pride) that others have covered I should point out that the more you act as an American (or World) site the more the tendency to fit those norms will be felt even if there is otherwise an intention to remain British.

Anonymous Coward

.co.uk

I think it's part of El Reg heritage, and since you are indeed so large, helps flag to the new reader that you're not a US-based operation.

or maybe theregister.eu? naaaaaaah

.co.uk - why hide the fact that it's a British success?

Keep the site British. Why should we Brits be the only people on the planet to hide their national identity?

Hmmm

www.theregister.xxx anyone ??

Seriously guys, don't get caught up in your own boutique re-branding. Que whale song, dim lights, start making shapes to the M$ surface.

.co.uk please!

Please dont go .com. I share the sentiments of the pro-co.uk movement here!

Thanks!

UK URL for UK Content

For me I love that the Reg is partisan (in a geographic sense) so I think it would be just cracking if you could flag stories by our US brethren under a .com URL and UK stories under the .co.uk URL. If that's not too much bother :)

Re: Keep both and point them at one place?

"where the users IP is parsed and you then send them to the relevent edition"

Google.com does this - and assumes I read Arabic 'cos I live in the UAE.

Keep .co.uk!

Anonymous Coward

The domain name

Leave it as .co.uk

.co.uk

How on earth could you persuade all those American correspondents that they are the mis-spellers if you adopt a domain that everyone sees as an American one? It might not be intended to be, but let's face facts, if it has .com at the end, the site can't spell and thinks "foreign" means another US state.

.co.uk it should stay, until they come up with .blighty anyway.

Anonymous Coward

Keep .co.uk

Really, do so. Although .com is supposed to be international, there is a widespread feeling that it is american. Stay .co.uk please - you are a uk site, and should be proud of that (plus it might inform those sadly shortsighted readers that there is a world beyond us borders).

Anonymous Coward

Title

.com

.co.uk is seen as being UK sites and UK sites alone

.com is seen as being somewhat US but also being international.

Point being, that if you use .co.uk the site will be seen as being a UK site with UK content and users from other countries may skip over the site without looking any further than the URL. If you go with .com, users will not brand the site immediately and may even give the site a fair go

.co.uk and .com redirects there

Americans are fond of britishness, but some may not want to type the .co.uk, so just point .com as a redirect to .co.uk.

Keep the britishness

British Site

British Brand

Keep it British all the way

.co.uk is the only option

Carry on Carrion

If you haven't got the message yet, then you might as well change to .com!

keeper

It's part of it's mysterious charm ..

Exotic URL's should be kept for their poetic license too.

Become a .com and become one of " them "

I say the .co.uk is a definite keeper.

Anonymous Coward

just keep .co.uk

The Register is a strong brand name and the .co.uk is a part of that in my opinion.

Anonymous Coward

UK journalism is different - keep the flag

1) If the Guardian can also accidentally build a non-UK readership with a red ensign flying, the Register should keep its .co.uk URL. Be what you are. Let's aim to make Mr Orlowski the first of a watery stampede of staff and readers across the Atlantic.

2) A different aspect, but a worthwhile one: culturally, US journalism is full of pompous statements about ethics and stolid fact-checking allied with a deeply partisan world-view. El Reg has a less self-important mix of gossip, lese-majeste, facts, scepticism, insight and independence of judgment. The UK aspect is a part of the brand.

Anonymous Coward

.co.uk

keep .co.uk

Hmm..

stick with the register.co.uk - it might just be blind patriotism, but i jsut type www.theregister.com and it doesn't *feel* right. Plus, we're always marginalised apple.com/uk (as an example) - Be proud of your heritage.

Anonymous Coward

co uk in my opinion

I think the .co.uk URL does give an important hint as to the origin/content which will be missing with a .com URL. In my mind (probably because i've been around for a while and remember when most of Arpanet was US oriented and kremvax was joke) .com is associated with the USA, not international.

So, keep .co.uk, .com brands you as transtlantic.

Anonymous Coward

.co.uk

This German would prefer it to stay .co.uk.

I Prefer .co.uk

I reminds me you are British, which I like.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017