back to article London's Metropolitan Police arrest Julian Assange

Julian Assange has been arrested by London cops at the Ecuadorian Embassy after the nation revoked the asylum it had given him for nearly seven years. BREAKING: #Assange removed from embassy - video pic.twitter.com/qsHy7ZVPg5 — Ruptly (@Ruptly) April 11, 2019 The Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) issued a statement this …

Page:

1. Likkie

This also shows that the story about the USA wanting him extradited to Sweden so he could be spirited away was a load of codswallop which he invented to avoid questioning over sexual misconduct allegations. The USA could always have done what they are doing now, get him direct from blighty.

1. batfink

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

That is all.

2. J.G.Harston Silver badge

"Assange reportedly turned down a proposed deal with the UK"

So, it's a No Deal Exit!

1. Ben Tasker Silver badge

Managed no-deal exit in fact.

It's exactly the same as no-deal, I just put a nicer sounding name on it to make it less scary

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Totally unrelated news, in no way connected whatsoever, today IMF approves $4.2 billion loan for Ecuador.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190411123640/https://www.imf.org/en/News/Articles/2019/03/11/ecuador-pr1972-imf-executive-board-approves-eff-for-ecuador

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Are you really trying to persuade us that he's worth $4.2m? After all, it's nearly as much as his own valuation of himself (probably).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

BILLION not million!

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge
    2. Danny 2 Silver badge

That was March 11th. This is April.

3. Jove Bronze badge

Fallacious argument - was not today, or yesterday, but it suits your sh*t stirring narrative.

4. Stoneshop Silver badge
    Holmes

Just yesterday his leaky org claimed blackmailers had threatened to reveal "sexual" things alongside other details of Assange’s life inside the embassy; the group claimed that miscreants were trying to squeeze €3m out of it.

I get those mails too, suggesting that the non-existent webcam in my 'device' (apparently they don't bother to detect whether it's a laptop, tablet or desktop, and which of the dozen or so it was I allegedly used at the time) can record me fapping, so lack of internet access shouldn't be much of a problem either.

1. Danny 2 Silver badge

The difference being that CCTV footage of Assange has been published by media such as the BBC. Oh, and when I tried to blackmail you for the video of Pamela Anderson I only asked for €3. Price of postage.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a good outlook

Trump asks Russia to get Clinton's emails.

Russia gives emails to Wikileaks.

Assange thinks that this will help him to be not extradited to the USA.

Assange has proof of Trump's involvement.

If any of the above were true then the usual outcome is "shot while trying to escape" or "dies in custody".

6. chivo243 Silver badge
    Windows

He looks awful

Sort of like Howard Hughes just before his demise... Or the Unabomber when they dragged him out of his shack. It couldn't have been physically healthy living like he did.

Now the Tramp icon looks like Assange...

7. FlamingDeath Bronze badge

People have short memories, or are just dead eye'd sociopaths

July 12th 2007 Baghdad airstrike video

The van that was attacked, it carrying children, the driver, from their own perspective, was simply helping wounded people

The sad reality is, is that modern warfare is cowardly, with an awful level of detachment from the consequences. I have a fair idea of what all of this is about, I don't need your opinion.

1. Walter Bishop Silver badge
      Terminator

Re: People have short memories, or are just dead eye'd sociopaths

Collateral Murder, I think this is the one that got Assange firmly in the sights of the US Military Industrial Complex.

2. Jellied Eel Silver badge

The sad reality is, is that modern warfare is cowardly,

I'd say 'confused', or full of shades of grey. IMHO, the unedited video showed the Apache gunner tracking armed individuals as well as the Reuters guys. RPGs were clearly visible, along with AKs. Apache relocates, sees <something> circular/cylindrical poking around the corner that could reasonably have been an RPG... So the gunner engages.

In law, the military has it's RoE (Rules of Engagement) that specify when it's ok to fire. Like when there's a reasonable belief of an imminent, armed threat. Which is generally also the legal view, because there are laws in war. So that was a tragic mistake in the fog of war.

Then the Apache circled around and fired on other targets. IMHO, that was a lot more questionable given weapons weren't obvious. And then the crew fired on the wounded, and the vehicle that arrived. Generally that part is illegal, ie the wounded were no longer a real threat, and the gunner could have held fire & provided cover for the ground troops that were approaching.

But the editing in the 'Collateral Murder' vide was very one-sided, and could have been far better if they'd simply shown the unedited video, and had commentary from a lawyer with war crimes expertise. Despite what we see from Hollywood, finishing off a wounded enemy is generally ilegal. Ok, the threat of suicide bombers makes life riskier, but once an enemy is no longer a threat, you're meant to capture and render aid. Then vigourously interrogate, but that's a different movie..

3. SundogUK

"modern warfare is cowardly"

Yeah, using civilians as human shields is a pretty shitty way to fight a war.

8. Walter Bishop Silver badge
  9. TRT Silver badge

I don't give a flying fig about him...

but how's the cat?

1. Jove Bronze badge

Re: I don't give a flying fig about him...

... heading back to Langley to receive it's medal.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: I don't give a flying fig about him...

Langley to receive its medal.

.. and the promised lifetime supply of tuna. How much tuna can you eat in 5 minutes anyway?

10. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Mildly Unsettling Stuff for UN Settled Staff ... Heap Good AIMedicine though, Kemo Sabe

We couldn't possibly comment...

How very Mandy Rice-Davies of you, El Reg :-)

I do wonder if the Systems that are arranged and arraigned against Wikileaks have any idea at all about how to Command and Control Virtual CHAOS and Absolute Confusion .... with Secure Protection in Hellishingly Heavenly Environments that are now at release unleashed from considerable maddening confinement. What places are media going to take you tomorrow with decisions yesterday relayed today?

Any, if not newly discovered or uncovered, newly built places in former naturally totally naked spaces, or is it still to be the old doom and gloom, madness and mayhem in rapidly ageing cities and towns with crazy populations that they all appear to so love to perform in and share their own imagined view of a truth to believe for real.

You know ..... the sort of Immaculate Space with Imaginative Places for Supply of Pioneering Settlers via Advanced IntelAIgent Programs which is trailed and trialing from the likes of a experimental satellite node in what is ideally a Fab Fabless Network Lab based on foundational premises honoured and rewarded in programming from here and/or here and other such like Advanced IntelAIgent Ventures for it would be foolish to not welcome and break bread with others long ago there and think you be alone and almighty and free to do as one pleases. Such would be to show the greatest of arrogance and disrespect to an Almighty Willing Host.

Sound Advice? ..... Don't Ever Go There ... for too long can be a very short time in that place, and if captured and overwhelmed with the perceived delights there, that is where you will stay and fester/wither and die.

For to have got so far, and then to fail and fall into the simplest of honey traps at the very first step into something ExtraOrdinary is a hard lesson to learn and recognise as a fault for correction and crash testing, but absolutely vital to understand for success in all the other steps available for the taking, and if necessary remaking/refining.

To those who may be suffering such a crash, there are words for you to ponder and wonder on .........

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. .... Sir Winston Churchill

IT's getting real spookily busy out there nowadays, El Reg. Are you hearing any word its hitting Main Street and Hoods yet, with Leaks and Seed Feeds into Online MainStreams?

No? Man, that Stealth is Fabulously Good.

Systems in place and in Full Operation with hardly a soul knowing anything about the Changes and now nothing can realistically be done about it .

Outright Public Denial of it being true immediately highlights the possibilities of its veracity whilst Private and Pirate Exploitation and Development of Change Systems delivers to those so engaged, Virtual Sovereign AI Leading Plays.

1. Jove Bronze badge

Re: Mildly Unsettling Stuff for UN Settled Staff ... Heap Good AIMedicine though, Kemo Sabe

I recommend Imodium.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Mildly Unsettling Stuff for UN Settled Staff ... Heap Good AIMedicine though, Kemo Sabe

I recommend Imodium..... Jove

By Jove, of course you do. It is practically default for stoolies

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The moron achieved nothing beyond imprisoning himself for nearly seven fucking years.

Hope the US throw him in one of their finest establishments for thinking he could escape justice by being so stupid.

12. Sommer

All I want for Christmas...

...is for one of the Wikileaks utterances to actually cite the law they believe to have been violated. Just yelling "illegal" merely makes them sound like <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NSONU9uguM">Rik-with-a-silent-P</a> from the "Young Ones".

1. SundogUK

Re: All I want for Christmas...

This.

I have watched the videos several times and as far as I can tell, everything the Apache crews did was within their TOE and the relevant Geneva conventions.

They did nothing wrong.

13. s. pam
    Thumb Up

About bloody time

Whether he is guilty or not he has to stand and account for his actions. Hiding away from criminal charges never wins any favour from any court.

14. DougS Silver badge

Could be worse

When I saw a headline about this earlier this morning, the last word was "extradited" but I initially scanned it as "executed". That would have have been some Putin-worthy turn around time!

15. Marketing Hack Silver badge

For sale...

One couch, leather. Numerous stains, but still quite comfortable. If interested, enquire at Ecuadorian embassy.

1. Teiwaz Silver badge

Re: For sale...

No one* buys 2nd Hand anymore.

The Boom for cheap financing may be over, but for most, it'd be like someone elses used underpants.

* Although there are always a few, and Landlords wanting to fill houses cheaply.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder what's really going on (PS it's nothing to do with rape allegations)

It's certainly not what we're being told.

- Ecuador gets an IMF loan out of this and what else?

- Is there a dead man's handle on any data JA has access to?

- JA will get tried, almost certainly with no jury as it's national security related.

- JA will get a multiple lifetime sentence for breaking US espionage laws. If not a death penalty.

- UK will get favourable terms for a trade agreement.

- Australia will do whatever it's told by the US.

- Whistleblowers everywhere will feel the chilling effects of US "justice" and criminals in governments will be able to breathe easier.

Re: I wonder what's really going on (PS it's nothing to do with rape allegations)

- Whistleblowers everywhere will feel the chilling effects of US "justice" and criminals in governments will be able to breathe easier. .... AC

Oh? I wouldn't be be so sure, AC. I can easily imagine the exact opposite [Streisand] effect with the likes of a government of Jeremy Hunts and conserving lickspittles being understandably targeted for the most outrageous of crazy unreasonable reactions because of what they do and allow to be done by others on their watch.

How well do you think the Conservative Party [a politically incorrect gang of just 124k members*]

would fare in a snap emergency, no further confidence in government general election at this extremely awkward time, or at any time in the near future? Is the possibility of such a public vote realised their worst case scenario nightmare presented as they prove them to be unelectable with a mandate to govern? And what shenanigans would they contemplate to ensure the will of the people is avoided at all cost?

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_party_affiliation_in_the_United_Kingdom

If you want CHAOS and Confusion in the Fields of Madness and Mayhem, IT Systems with AI and SMARTR Media Deliver in Spades.

And as/when/if Julian Assange is a political prisoner facing trumped up charges, special rules apply ...

A political offence exception (or exemption) is a provision which limits the obligation of a sovereign state under an extradition or mutual legal assistance treaty or statute. Such provisos allow the state whose assistance has been requested ("the requested party") to refuse to hand over a suspect to — or to gather evidence on behalf of — another state ("the requesting party"), if the requested party's competent authority determines that the requesting party seeks assistance in order to prosecute an offence of a political character. ..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_offence_exception

Or are there prize idiots out there willing to argue against such an obvious evident truth and in so doing confirm, beyond any reasonable doubt, the roles of Madness and Mayhem in the action?

We inhabit strange days indeed ...... but they are all being provided to you. What does that make you whenever you accept them without realising the worst of them be badly designed to humiliate and captivate both competition and opposition? Does Cuckold offend and hit the target bullseye?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder what's really going on (PS it's nothing to do with rape allegations)

Something relevant to you in Plymouth: Johnny Mercer is being touted as a potential future prime minister.

Oh dear!

2. SundogUK

A couple of years ago you were vaguely amusing. Now you're just boring. Stop it.

2. SundogUK

Take that tinfoil hat off.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Justice"

It's telling that so many El Reg commentards are so happy for him to be prosecuted for upsetting the Yanks.

Conclusion: Brits are as vindictive as ever. Either that or sympathetic to the perpetrators of things Wikileaks has revealed.

Extraterritorial jurisdiction - that's really what we need more of. It makes the world a better place. /s

1. Killing Time

Re: "Justice"

Yeah but despite all the reams of personal opinion none of us is an arbiter of justice and that includes you.

Meanwhile, someone the nation actually employs to make that judgement says -

Assange's behaviour was "the behaviour of a narcissist who cannot get beyond his own selfish interest"

But never mind, I'm sure the public support of Pammy Anderson and Diane Abbott will make the judge question himself and reconsider his view.

Personally I'm a little peeved he wasn't thrown in the back of the Black Maria like most common criminals who resist arrest.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As I said, lots of white collar Britons on this forum appear to be nasty, spiteful people.

Not sure what selfish narcissist has to do with anything - that describes many, many adults. Not least, the role model who's currently king of the free world - put there by half the US voters who don't see that sort of behaviour as a problem.

Maybe you'd just like to lock up anyone you don't like. And have the police beat them up for good measure, like the good old days of the 1970s :/

1. SundogUK

I think you will find that it is SJW's like you who want to lock people up for disagreeing with them. We just think you are idiots.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"It's telling that so many El Reg commentards are so happy for him to be prosecuted for upsetting the Yanks."

No, he jumped bail because his final and highest appeal was about to be denied over the extradition to Sweden on the rape charges. Until today, there has been no request for extradition by the USA. And that indictment was only penned in March of 2018.

The judiciary, and most people, take a very dim view of bail jumpers.

1. wokkie27

Yes, they have he same psychological illness as Brexiteers. Dr Thomas Daffern refers to it as a "death cult", and he is right.

1. SundogUK

What do you call someone who has to bring Brexit into every discussion, even if it is completely unrelated?

Answers on a postcard.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@John Brown - do you really believe what you write?!? His arrest is nothing to do with jumping bail - that's just the cover story.

What other bail jumper in British history has warranted spending £30M on his capture. Is there really nothing they could have spent that on to reduce real crime? You know, in the public interest?

Or was it just tax payers money and he was low hanging fruit? Would the sky have fallen in if the "most wanted man in Britain" had just walked out of the embassy whenever he wanted, and arrested whenever he appeared next? Or were the security forces so concerned he might test their "competence"?

Re: Justice in Deaf, Dumb and Blind States ie Raw Hard Core Copy Evidence Missing

Or was it just tax payers money and he was low hanging fruit? Would the sky have fallen in if the "most wanted man in Britain" had just walked out of the embassy whenever he wanted, and arrested whenever he appeared next? Or were the security forces so concerned he might test their "competence"? ..... Anonymous Coward

Are they currently proving themselves incompetent and manifestly unfit in the provision of greater intelligent streams to government and media, AC? And do they command and control the present news narrative orchestrating forces competing and/or opposing the tales to be told tomorrow of mistakes made a long time ago and yesterday.

Is there no New News of the Future in your neck of the woods yet?

1. Cliff Thorburn

Re: Justice in Deaf, Dumb and Blind States ie Raw Hard Core Copy Evidence Missing

Makes a mockery of “Do the right things and the right things will happen” does it not amFM?

And when we are both educated, trained and programmed to do the right things that transpire to be the wrong things, then a right Cuckolded Mockery making monkeys out of media maps leading to righteous and rightful promised lands.

It perh aps therefore would be far sim pler to say “Do the wrong thing and the right things will happen”, therefore and thus joining the hooked and crooked bendy Banana republics as sec retly and in an all bets are on Honey G in the Honeypot money tree type fashion hope that the regular purveyor would be both tantalised by?

Of course just in a world where present circumstances of both coercion have led to said events, would it not be far easier to just come clean and say what the correct choice is?

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"His arrest is nothing to do with jumping bail - that's just the cover story."

Have you stocked up on tinfoil in advance of Brexit? Prices are already rising, get in now while it;s still cheap.

3. SundogUK

He's not being "prosecuted for upsetting the Yanks." He's being prosecuted because he broke the law.

The "rule of law" - I am in favour of it.

4. CRConrad

Yes, *Justice*

It's telling that so many of the Anonymous Cowards think (or are trying to make it look as if they actually think) that the reason for the general glee is "for him to be prosecuted for upsetting the Yanks".

I'm a Swede, and as a law-abiding citizen, I'm happy as Hell that the rapey asshat is finally (hopefully) going to be brought to justice for raping at least two women. (Fuck knows how many else he's done it to over the years, and too bad that the sexual assault charges are already past the statute of limitations.)

On a personal level, I'm also satisfied that he'll get his comeuppance for turning WikiLeaks, which could have been a genuine global whistleblowing resource, into first his own personal cult and then a part of the Russian troll-factory operation.

Sure, you might think that's "vindictive", but:

• Have you ever considered that you might be just plain wrong on that?
      • Being a rapist and sexual molester, he deserves any "vindictiveness" he gets.
      • Being a general narcissist cult arsehole and Putin-lackey-troll, he deserves it even more.
      So, no, when it comes to many -- probably most -- of us, your "for upsetting the Yanks" prattle is just so much Putin-troll propaganda. Do you genuinely believe that shit, or have you, when you think about it, perhaps just been duped and will make an effort to stop being used that way? That's the difference between having temporarily been a "useful idiot" and actually being a full-blown troll. Which are you?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019