back to article PM resigns as Britain votes to leave EU

The UK has voted to leave the European Union, confounding the polls, the "experts" and the British establishment in the biggest turnout for a vote here in 24 years. Prime Minister David Cameron announced his resignation at 8:30am this morning. The count stands at 51.9 per cent Leave, and 48.1 per cent remain – and more than a …

Page:

1. amolbk

A telling sign of the times

As Britain exits a weakening EU, India -- its erstwhile biggest and most lucrative colony -- enters SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organization).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unexpected consequences

Scottish Independence now almost a certainty. Does 'UK less Scotland' have a name? Name "U.K." will be obsolete. New name?

The Union Jack will need to change to delete the Scottish cross bit. England + Wales + N.I. will need a new flag.

Scotland abolish the Monarchy shortly thereafter? Destabilize the monarchy, just as it transitions to Chas. Probably survive of course.

Boris likely the next P.M.

"May you live during interesting times."

1. The Mole

Re: Unexpected consequences

"The Union Jack will need to change to delete the Scottish cross bit. England + Wales + N.I. will need a new flag."

I think you missed the memo, NI is likely to be leaving the Union as well and rejoining Ireland. That leaves a dragon on the cross of St George.

1. H in The Hague

"That leaves a dragon on the cross of St George."

Excellent.

And then we can set up trade block with other countries who have St George as their patron saint. According to Wikipedia (sorry, best I have at hand now), those include Ethiopia, Malta, Moldova, Russia, Palestine and Turkey. We'll be so happy together!

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"That leaves a dragon on the cross of St George."

Once Wales realises it just gave away about £500million/year in EU subsidies I can see them hitting the eject button and attempting to rejoin the EU too.

Ditto Cornwall (formerly West Wales)

3. Cranky_Yank

Say it with song

Coincidence or conspiracy? When I changed the TV channel from the Brexit vote news to the music channel, the Sex Pistols were singing God Save the Queen. "No future, no future, no future for you."

1. jason 7

Re: Say it with song

The one Sex Pistols quote that comes to mind a lot these past few days is -

"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You couldn't make this up... [Yes Minister (TV Series)]

..............Hacker:

Don't the Foreign Office realise what damage this will do to the European idea?

..............Sir-Humphrey:

Well, I'm sure they do: that's why they support it.

..............Hacker:

What? Surely the Foreign Office is pro-Europe, isn't it?

Yes and no, if you'll forgive the expression. The Foreign Office is pro-Europe because it is really anti-Europe. The Civil Service was united in its desire to make sure that the Common Market didn't work. That's why we went into it.

..............Hacker:

What are you talking about?

Minister, Britain has had the same foreign policy objective for at least the last 500 years: to create a disunited Europe. In that cause we have fought with the Dutch against the Spanish, with the Germans against the French, with the French and Italians against the Germans, and with the French against the Germans and Italians. Divide and rule, you see. Why should we change now, when it's worked so well?

..............Hacker:

That's all ancient history, surely.

Yes, and current policy. We had to break the whole thing up, so we had to get inside. We tried to break it up from the outside, but that wouldn't work. Now that we're inside we can make a complete pig's breakfast of the whole thing: set the Germans against the French, the French against the Italians, the Italians against the Dutch. The Foreign Office is terribly pleased; it's just like old times.

..............Hacker:

Surely we're all committed to the European ideal.

Really, Minister. [laughs]

..............Hacker:

If not, why are we pushing for an increase in the membership?

Well, for the same reason. It's just like the United Nations, in fact. The more members it has, the more arguments it can stir up. The more futile and impotent it becomes.

5. Alistair
    Pint

Far side of the Pond, watching.

Not having been day to day in the media over there, perhaps what I've seen offhand was not completely representative of what was in full flight.

Leave media presentation mirrored Trump's campaign, picking the lowest of denominators, inflating fear and hate, niggling "that nasty bugger over there is taking your cookie away" messages. Mostly insinuations that the money going to EU was effectively being stolen and handed to lazy, no good, invading, other (coloured/religion/political orientation/sexuality/hair style) people. Essentially the campaign appeared designed to appeal to the basest component of the lizard brains.

Remain media presentations sounded mostly like Clinton's campaign. Obfuscation, indirection, look at the cute bunnies from Europe, We'll get lots of cookies! etc etc.

At least in the US there is a third option.

What bothers me *most* (not just US election, BREXIT stuff etc) is just how much of what is being spewed by *all* the media sources out there is specifically designed from the top down to split the populace into groups. This is the *REAL* racism that is out there. More aligned with the idea that the target audience of the media needs to be alienated against the target audience of another media.

It appears to me that those running these media have every intention of enjoying sitting back and chomping on their popcorn while those of us in the trenches of life run around stabbing one another in the back/face/leg/arm/chest as frequently as we can.

Then again, perhaps I'm just awake, and not living the dream.

Beer, at least an attempt was made at a democratic process -- celebrate *THAT* at least.

1. John PM Chappell

Re: Far side of the Pond, watching.

Scot who recently became a US citizen, over here in Texas. Your analysis largely mirrors mine, and I *have* been following. It's been touchy speaking to my parents recently because they both have been spouting anti-immigrant UKIP bullshit, since last year, and we're determined that Scotland shouldn't leave the Union. *sigh*

At least I'll probably win that argument, now - pretty sure Scotland is leaving, after this debacle.

6. Japesmacfarland

Well, when you do something that the worst president the US has ever had is against, and Soros is against, and the globalist banks are against, and failure Merkel is against, you can rest easy that you've done the right thing. :)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's this mess you've got us into?

Ok Exiters just pipped Remainers. So it's up to you to fix the mess you've got us into!

We're all about £10-20K poorer than we were yesterday, your pension pots have all been squandered, most of our car, IT and Aerospace will loose out big time.

Gove and Co as Prime Minister and Chancellor? No thanks

8. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

A simple question. How many of you actually *voted* ?

Because if you didn't you signed away any right to b**ch about the result.

About 15 million people didn't give a f**k about their countries future. They could not be bothered. It was all so difficult to decide.

They should all SFU and get on with doing what they've done so far.

Nothing relevant.

If you stand for nothing you roll over for everything. Start rolling.

9. steward
    FAIL

An example of the type of incomplete reporting that may have led to Brexit

"Prime Minister David Cameron announced his resignation at 8:30am this morning."

No, he didn't. He said quite clearly that he will be resigning in approximately three months. The UK government is still in place, and (absent a vote of no confidence) will stay that way at least into September.

Just think of what the vote might have been if major media outlets reported things correctly...

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: An example of the type of incomplete reporting that may have led to Brexit

"He said quite clearly that he will be resigning in approximately three months."

He'll exit with a knife between his ribs before the end of the Month. He's already been quoted by staffers that he's not putting up with this shit to have someone else waltz in when the hard work's done.

10. Yes Me Silver badge
    Unhappy

Calling all responsible politicians

About 12 to 15 months from now, the poor suckers sent to negotiate post-exit conditions, and whichever of the nitwits ends up at 10 Downing St, will have to face the fact that they have got nothing but bitter lemons from the negotiations. There won't be enough sugar to make lemonade. At that time Parliament, being sovereign, can vote to stay in. But please, politicians, start doing the backroom work now for that to happen. Otherwise, ruination is upon us all.

11. DrTeeth

Over the Moon!

I am over the moon that we will be comming out. Already we can see the sor4e loosers trying tricks to overturnt he result. The PM said the result was overwhelming so they should get over it.

12. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Is 2% an "overwhelming" majority ? In most opinion polls that in the margin of error.

Now 10%+ indicates a definite preference.

13. ben_myers

Brexit Winners and Losers

The biggest Brexit winners are ISIS and Putin. People voting for Brexit had no idea who the winners really are, but a much-weakened EU is exactly what ISIS wants and Putin is now all smiles. Let's believe that Putin will crow that democracy does not work. Biggest losers are the entirety of Great Britain and Angela Merkel, who has shoved austerity down the throats of the smaller weaker and less discipined EU members like Greece, Portugal and Italy, all of whom may bail out next. The EU as a whole loses out and the Euro as a single currency may well be at risk. The EU bureaucrats are shown up as arrogant.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So democracy has seemingly given the British Government a mandate to negotiate an exit strategy from the Europe Union. It turns out the current incumbents didn't actually believe this position would be reached (and it was never certain anyway) and the main opposition think the best way to help is to resign en masse?

I am thinking that Politicians don't like hard work and thinking about the possibilities. I guess getting Europe to decide on the rules was far easier for them and all they had to do was complain a little if they didn't like the regulations coming down from Europe and then sign off on the implementation of said rules anyway.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Disappointed with Lib Dem response

It would have been interesting for them to step up with new plans for proportional representation and legalising cannabis for recreational use instead of the weak willed wanting to redo the referendum.

The legalisation would transfer dodgy financial transactions into the taxable realm and redirect them to UK farmers instead of foreign terrorists (if that's really where they previously went). Those new funds could help replace the EU investment into scientific research which would help develop cannabis based medical treatments. It's time to get on this before the USA do it properly.

With proportional representation it'd help a little in avoiding a repeat of the government being so far out of step with the people, though party politics isn't the most democratic option. Can we have a referendum on banning political parties so individual politicians have to get their mandates from the people they represent rather than trying to convince people of the party line?

16. deconstructionist

Bad losers and no winners

shocking to read some of the moronic posts in this thread, democracy has had it's say.

so we have these

1. remian lost because the vote leavers are stupid

2. I voted remian but dont actually know how the EU works but it is a great thing

3. hey I've done really well from the EU, so what if others haven't

4. I'm going call people racist biggoted and stupid just because I didn't get my way.

Some people need to re-asses their thought process.

1. leave voters are entitled to their opinion.

2. having a different opinion than yours does not mean people have lower IQ's (what next people with different skin colour )

3. the UK more affluent section of the populace and the business world has prospered in the EU, where as others have most definitely not.

4. Immigration from outside the EU was not the issue, it was freedom of movement within the EU which has set back race relations to pre WWII levels, the influx of cheap labour has decimated the construction/factory/service industry with no options for lower skilled Britain's to go elsewhere.

5. Multi Nationals, large organizations have played the EU card and layed off thousands of UK staff because it is 30 euros cheaper to hire staff in Bulgaria or hungry.

6. We bailed the Financial world out , only to be dictated to by a banker from the European bank who has no mandate from the people of the EU to govern them or set policy but he did and then being put through austerity because of the failure from the exacty same people that are forcing countires fiscal policy beyond common sense.

there should be no legislation without representation and the current EU setup is only concerned with business and market interests and the people of the Europe are second class, I mean what a sterling job the EU did with.

1.Syria

2.Libya

3.Middle East

4.Terrorism

5.Migrant crisis

4.Financial meltdown

5. Greek issues

Yeah the E.U is great place ............you can keep it.

There are no winners here, but at least the road I travel will be one of my own choosing through a democratic process, and that is a word the EU has forgot "democracy" .

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Solution

I heard a saying from a charming lot of people on an island once,

a saying that might be just what's needed in times like these :

"Keep Calm and Carry On"

18. sbolae
    Black Helicopters

Wasn't the EU a NAZI project?

I tell you why old timers voted out, unconsciously they knew all along that a united Europe always reminded them of NAZI Germany. The aren't wrong since all major decisions come from Germany anyway.

Ahahaha and you thought because you have free movement and get to vote that you have democracy? and because you get to vote nationally and then see your national parliaments harmonise EU legislation it is representing you? You fools, Germany didn't win the war by bombing European capitals, they won the war by buying European governments.

I'm surprised that being a techie site most of you have the ability to do tidy bit of research and pull out documents from the t'internet proving that the EEC EU did indeed originate from NAZI Germany. Ironically you call Brexiters racists for not wanting to be part of a NAZI project.

19. deconstructionist

something else that is rather absurd is David Cameron's , "why should I do the hard shit"

eh because you are the fool who decided to go all in on a horse without a jockey, "you should do the hard shit because you covered the rest of us in " , acting as If he is doing the noble thing falling on his sword come on.

He is just a little boy that doesn't want to play anymore because the other kids don't want to play his game....uh the poor wee soul.

20. Shovel

the queen is back

Do you think that the new 10 pound note will still have the Queen sucking a subliminal penis ( tab A into slot A ) ?

21. bill.hooks@fsmail.net

Current Pm has resigned?

Well has he or not. It would seem he is the proverbial child that can't get his own way and walks off with the ball so no one else can play. Well mr whatsyourname Pm. Its not your ball to take away.

To leave the allegory and return to fact, you are employed to do a job, you take the money and position and you agree to do as the emploer directs. You have been told to remove us from the EU. Get on and do it. if you don't like it tough. Leave immediately and let someone who can do what his boss tells him, get on with it.

Hell 99% of the population have to do what they are told, even if they don't agree, but they do it because they have respect for their position and at the end of the day its the boss' money.

You tried to paint yourself as an honourable man doing the best for us but you show yourself to be just another grasping politician holding on to money and position while trying to block the will of the people.

22. bill.hooks@fsmail.net

Current Pm has resigned?

Well has he or not. It would seem he is the proverbial child that can't get his own way and walks off with the ball so no one else can play. Well mr whatsyourname Pm. Its not your ball to take away.

To leave the allegory and return to fact, you are employed to do a job, you take the money and position and you agree to do as the emploer directs. You have been told to remove us from the EU. Get on and do it. if you don't like it tough. Leave immediately and let someone who can do what his boss tells him, get on with it.

Hell 99% of the population have to do what they are told, even if they don't agree, but they do it because they have respect for their position and at the end of the day its the boss' money.

You tried to paint yourself as an honourable man doing the best for us but you show yourself to be just another grasping politician holding on to money and position while trying to block the will of the people.

23. enTeeEm009
    Coat

Confused Yank

Been lurking on El Reg for a few years, this Brexit kerfluffle finally got me to create an account.

First, congrats that you took the time to get off your ass and vote, too many places in the world don't have that choice. To those just couldn't get to the polls, just do the rest of us a favor and STFU.

From what I understand, 3 main points to this vote. Immigration throughout the EU which has no real set of controls on it. Second, laws being made and passed in Brussels which negatively affect the UK. Lastly, folks in the UK tired of Government thinking they know better how you should run your life. Is that about it?

And yes, I've been reading the various papers with all their different screaming about this or that will happen. (FWIW the drudgereport.com @the bottom has links to papers across the world). The way the 2 sides tore into each other was actually nice. No namby-pamby back and forth. Get your base fired up. Rough and tumble politics.

Does Scotland have to wait until Britain is out of the EU before they can vote to leave? When/If they are successful, will they meet the EU criteria?

Any help would be appreciated.

In the meantime, back behind the trenchcoat lurking..

24. BrianT

Any help would be appreciated

On your questions regarding Scotland's options for leaving the UK.

"Wee Crankie", as we like to call her south of the border, has already gone over to Brussels to trudge the corridors of power asking if she can start talks for an independent Scotland to join / remain in the EU once it has voted out of the UK. Unfortunately all the doors are locked as she approaches and when she knocks they shout "Gan with ye, woman!"

She could have saved herself a lot of time and effort by first visiting the EU Parliament Visitor's Center. Right in the entrance there is a large plaque which would have told her all she needs to know.

It says:

“National sovereignty is the root cause of the most crying evils of our times and of the steady march of humanity back to tragic disaster and barbarism….The only final remedy for this supreme and catastrophic evil is a federal union of the peoples.”

Lord Lothian (Philip Kerr), The Ending of Armageddon, 1939

In short, the very last thing the anti-democratic and anti-nationalist EU is going to sanction is the birth of another nation state.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like