back to article Windows 10 to force you to use Edge, even if it isn't default browser

Microsoft’s about to test a new feature of Windows 10 that will force users to employ its Edge browser under some circumstances. Revealed in the announcement of Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17623 for Skip Ahead, the change means “we will begin testing a change where links clicked on within the Windows Mail app will open in …

Page:

1. Danny 2

I just had to install Windows 10 from scratch on a Lidl tablet for my mum, Took me two days on a fast internet connection, Effing insulting. Forced me to create a disposable outlook account, and then whined when I didn't want Edge as the default browser? It used to be bimbo~ware, now it is Putin~ware. I feel dirty.

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Standards

From a balanced viewpoint the real problem with Edge being defaulted to for some purposes is that the Standards that were originally set up within the Windows framework (which were presumably specified by Microsoft), are being violated... by Microsoft. Is this Edge default hardwired-in to an application? If so, it shouldn't be, it's inefficient and: looking ahead - when Microsoft decide to ditch Edge, where will those hardwired links then point to? Because presumably they are not Registry-based, they will point nowhere.

3. Danny 5
    Thumb Down

silly

I've been using edge and there's no denying it is by far the fastest browser out there. With its stripped down nature I can also imagine why it would currently be the most secure, as it lacks some functionality compared to it's competitors. I really don't get this move though and I'm sure they'll get a ton of backlash from it.

I'm annoyed by all the anti-IE and Edge memes I've been seeing, as most of them are complete bullshit, but I'm certainly not in favor of MS shoving their desired product down my throat either.

4. Screwed

Silverlight!

Have read through fairly quickly, so might have missed it, but I haven't seen any mention of Silverlight!

Yes - that really is a reason we keep getting people calling and saying "Please install Silverlight because I need it for <crappy website>". They get nowhere trying to open the site in Edge.

The second most common issue is that people find PDFs opening in Edge. Mostly they prefer Acrobat Reader DC or whatever other tools they have installed.

The third is that they do not have necessary print options when printing from Edge.

The fourth is using Remote Desktop (or has that recently changed?) which has always needed IE to work easily and reliably.

And my hate, unable to use it in a domain admin account. It isn't that I want to use it, but I have to positively change defaults in order to avoid things trying to open in Edge.

Finally, the fact that time after time, portal.office.com (yes, the 365 portal) fails to open pages time after time. The tab just stays blank and requires one or more F5/refreshes before it will appear. Works far better in FireFox.

1. Solarflare

Re: Silverlight!

"And my hate, unable to use it in a domain admin account. It isn't that I want to use it, but I have to positively change defaults in order to avoid things trying to open in Edge."

Why are you opening a browser when you're running with domain admin privileges?

5. Kaise7

Windows 10 & Edge worse than shit

Bought a Dell lap top with this on total rubbish waste of money Windows 10 and edge u lick the sweat of a dead baboons balls. Heronin only MAC for me.

6. Primus Secundus Tertius

Thin end of wedge

Microsoft's intention could be described as the win end of the thedge.

7. David Gosnell

Probably a storm in a teacup

Really not entirely sure this is quite as big a deal as portrayed, odious as it may be.

Does anyone actually use Mail outside the kind of tablet-based environment that is locked down to Microsoft Store apps anyway? In that context, Edge (and wrappers thereof) is the mandated browser in any case. I suspect that the number of people who this adversely affects on a proper desktop environment with a choice of superior alternatives in the first place, is practically irrelevant.

8. N2

Anything else would be malware

Noting like a malicious aplication forcing choices on you?

Fuck wits of the very highest order.

9. js6898

Truely don't understand all this anti-MS feeling. I have been with MS since XP days, upgraded to W7 (missed Vista) and then W10 (missed W8). Everything just continues to work. I have Office 2007 for my spreadsheets and word files (keeps working year in, year out). Thumbsplus for my photos, VLC for my videos, IE for internet (started with IE6, now on IE11). Never had a problem. HOSTS file block adverts etc - always has done, still continues to do so. Use Allway Sync to backup my files, Audacity, Freemake (old free version), Adobe Audition (old version). Never had to upgrade anything. Just goes on and on. Now on W10 1709 not had to pay anything for years (last time was when I bought my W7 PC and I assume I paid an OS licence then). I love MS - just can''t work out how they make any money. They've certainly not had much from me over the last 15 years. Oh and yes, had years and years of free Hotmail. Feel as though I should make a donation to MS as a 'thank you' but don't know how.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coffee/keyboard

This is a joke?

I love MS - just can''t work out how they make any money

Seriously?

10. dbastianello

When you have exhausted all legitimate ways to show growth...

Let's face it this is just a metrics game to show investors that Microsoft has an "Edge" on competitors. By forcing things this way it will definitely increase the MS Edge usage statistics. And anyone who has ever had to deal with the less technically competent knows that these users don't even know when they are in Firefox, Chrome or IE/Edge. These people, lets face it are the masses and they will skew the metrics.

MS has to indefinitely show growth otherwise why would someone buy MS stocks in the first place, investors need a return. Like pretty much the majority of the tech industry they have run out of legitimate ways of improving efficiency and profit margins. Now that they have run out tangible ways to show growth they are now resorting to playing these sneaky stats tricks to fool investors into believing that after almost 3 years of no uptake that users all of the sudden are throwing away their fav browser for this super over the top better than the rest browser call Edge.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: When you have exhausted all legitimate ways to show growth...

I think you've nailed the point. So many users thinks it's just " the internet" and are barely, if at all, aware that they use a browser. To users the browser is no more than a frame round the outside of the Amazon page (or the office intranet). These are the same people that we've quoted here, so many times, who call us because "The email isn't working" ( BSOD) and call the thing with pictures "the computer" and the box that does the computing "the hard drive".

Hobbyhorse moment coming......

All those people who complained that ICT in schools was rubbish, because it just showed kids how to use WORD and they needed to be taught to code were far off the mark IMO. ICT needed to teach kids how computers worked, what they could do, how they did it (including how to use OFFICE/Windows/LINUX etc.) and what the implications are for how we live our lives. Actually writing code should be a small, but interesting, part. Knowing what happens to your data is far more essential.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear Microsoft

Finally, a useful addition to your operating system

Unless I misread, that is :-)

Cant think why folk are so pissed about having no choice of software

Keep up the good work

Obviously you cant please all the people all the time

Furious rants about things you do will always appear

Find time to LISTEN to folk and life will be easier for all

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Re: Dear Microsoft

An acrostic, if I am not mistaken

12. TheDillinquent
    Facepalm

Wouldn't it be a good idea to get Edge working first?

So, Windows sets Edge as the default browser? Problem is that Edge stopped working a few weeks back (may have been earlier, hard to tell if you don't use it), it opens, does that spinny thing then closes - blink and you miss it.

And its not just me, I have tried to run Edge on 3 different completely different Win10 boxes with the same result and everyone I have spoken to about it has had the same experience.

So now we have an OS that won't let you use t'internet. Great! Is it 1980 again?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

20 years ago they lost an antitrust lawsuit because they did this exact same thing to try and kill off competitors to internet explorer, i personally do not want to use either Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome as i am a Firefox user.

Microsoft just doesn't seem to learn from mistakes, if you don't want Microsoft Edge on your system you should be allowed to remove it i can remove Google Chrome so why not Microsoft Edge (if it's not something you use it's like Microsoft is saying if you install Windows on your PC we will install bloatware along with it).

Okay, it CAN be removed but only by going through some things that your average user wouldn't know how to do and even then you would need to be very confident about it.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like