Ye Bug List

Shaun's tried to post this on the Boot's thread: Philosophy is not dead, it just smells funny. I see an "Approve" and "Reject" buttons - not sure why - but Approve doesn't work. Did it trip a spam checker?

This topic was created by Andrew Orlowski .

Website unusable at the moment

There is something on the site that is grinding my IE11 to a halt and the only common theme is the adverts on the pages. Specifically the NetApp animation, that takes about 3 minutes to load.

Firefox works perfectly fine since it strips the ads.

Re: Website unusable at the moment

Specifically the NetApp animation, that takes about 3 minutes to load.

I've alerted our ad/ops team to this, thanks for your report!

Silver badge

Edit Forum posts

Am I just thick, or is the claim of a ten minute window to edit posts just a myth.

I've looked, and fail to find anything that would allow editing.

Or is that not for users of the mobile site?

This post has been deleted by its author

Re: Edit Forum posts

While we're on the subject is there any chance of increasing the length of the editing window for people that have proven themselves in your eyes to be reasonably responsible? There have been a few occasions where I wanted to make some innocuous changes after the 10 minutes - typos mostly - but have been unable to do so because of this rather arbitrary limit.

Gold badge

Currently it is not enabled on m.thereg - it is a trivial client-side change though. We'll put it on our to do list.

Gold badge

In a sense all limits are arbitrary. What do you think is a reasonable time?

I think the 10 minutes tidying up window is reasonable compromis between no edit (c.f. Twitter) and perpetual edit (c.f. Facebook).

I am wary of perpetual edits as readers can misuse to rewrite posts to undermine arguments made by others.

Vic
Silver badge

I am wary of perpetual edits as readers can misuse to rewrite posts to undermine arguments made by others.

The bigger problem, IME, is spammers coming in and making innocuous posts, then editing them a week later when they think no-one's looking...

Vic.

Silver badge

Odd HTML error.

See the thread starting with this post:

https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/3241916

It's self explanatory, so I won't re-invent the wheel beyond saying that I didn't insert the extra HTML at the end of that link, and it wasn't there when I first posted it.

Silver badge

Missed the edit window by a minute ...

No need to reply to the above, just documenting weirdness.

(Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Odd HTML error.

Weird

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017