back to article Calling all readers: Want some new icons?

We at the El Reg Central Overseeing Commenter Soviet are considering whether to expand the available spread of comments icons to include some news images - the better for you, our beloved readers, to express yourselves with wit and elegance. Our existing comments icons If you reckon we need some fresh images to add to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Thumb Up

@Keith T

Pinocchio is good.

Widely understood

Timeless.

1. Keith T

A flying pig -- "it will happen when pigs can fly"

A flying pig -- "it will happen when pigs can fly".

For things that are unlikely to ever come to fruition.

2. Shannon Jacobs

Spam-related icon

The icon I most often want? How about a little can of spam? I recommend one of those ovalish ones, seen from above and tilted at an angle, with "Spam" visible on the top. You may think I'm fixated on the problem, but the Internet is really going to hell in a handcart these days, and I think the spammers are leading the parade of scammers and associated criminals. They're certainly operating on the largest scale.

Perhaps a little white hat icon for comments related to good and ethical hackers, and a black hat for the obvious usage?

Perhaps a six-shooter icon for comments about the currently increasingly lawless state of things?

How about a money icon for comments related to economics? Are you up to an animated icon that rotates or switches from the euro to the pound to the dollar to the yen (to a couple of others)? Maybe a morphing animated icon?

I'm trying to think of an icon for lawyers and legalese... Perhaps a mess of spaghetti? Or would that just be taken as the 'bad code' icon?

3. AdamWill

Never mind icons...

...I still want those sound effects we were promised on April Fool's Day one year.

4. Arctic fox
    Happy

276 postings and rising? On a "suggest an icon" thread?

We posterbois certainly know how to get our priorities right, don't we? Could we please have an irony-alert icon - for those who tend to miss that kind of thing? The joke-alert icon (although often useful) doesn't always fit the bill, if one is trying to be a *little* bit subtle.

5. Martin Huizing

Hard liquor icon!

How about a picture of Chinese rise-wine (Bai-Jiu). Caption: 'after reading this I need something stronger than beer'.

6. json

Palin or George Bush Jr and Charlie Sheen or Gaddhafi

Palin/Dubya = FUD or simply being dumb

Charlie Sheen/Gaddhafi = weird ideas and actions caused by medication (or lack thereof)

7. Martin Huizing
    Megaphone

'Calling on all Sara Bee's to reply!' icon

(yes, her name misspelled intentionally to get her attention...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Since you ask...

Fred Fredburger says, YES!

9. zen1

definitely...

a 'stfu' icon...

10. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Flying Spaghetti Monster

We need a FSM icon for all those Science versus Theology discussions.

I've picked the FSM as he loves everyone*

* May his noodely appendage caress you!

11. Raoul Ohio

WTF? icon?

A face of Sarah Palin for WTF?

12. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Quill pen in bottle of green ink

I DEMAND that this USEFUL and VITAL icon is institued IMMEDIATELY. I AM UNABLE to comment IN THE way I WaNT withoUT IT.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

more....

Guy Goma face = for admirable attempt at IT bullshit.

Napoleon dynamite or Tron Guy = socially awkward extreme geekiness.

14. Stuart Moore

"I'm with Stupid"

How about an "I'm with Stupid" icon with an arrow pointing upwards, for when you're replying to an especially special post

15. GBH
    Thumb Up

Tommy

Some more icons would make it more informative and entertaining = fun. So go ahead and add some, I like the idea!http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/thumb_up_32.png

Also, if possible, I would like to add a Scott ish icon from here: (example)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXIXIfYTBOE

16. Adam Inistrator

4chan trollface or equivalent please

I predict it will be MUCH used here!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Must have...

John Bull

18. Oneil Stuart

an icon with 4 lights

.. or maybe 5 lights.

19. Glenn Charles

Icon

Bald guy with "hairy innit?" on it?

G

20. bugalugs

here's a few collected a while back ( attributed if not from an AC )

Oh, and we seriously need a 'police state' icon

And another thing -- couldn't we have the option of a Spitfire icon for comments?

Can we have a "facepalm" icon, please?

Can we have a radiation icon ?

We need an "atomic mushroom" icon...

Where's the 'fish with legs' icon? james oshea 201009271414

Where's the 2 cents icon? h6 201009290523

Can we have a Guy Fawkes Mask icon now, please?

Where's the Evil Eric icon, ffs? Bilgepipe 201009300856

we don't have a towel icon.. @ Stumpy20101004

Can we please have a turd icon?

And can we have a Monkey icon please ?

When are you adding a spade and hole icon??! @Steve Martins 201010081110

Where's the 'not sure' icon?@JB201010122148

Can we have a fire extinguisher icon please?@Michael.H.F.Wilkinson201010121539

Can I have an icon of a hand from the Deep South of America where there's a thumb

at the top and the bottom to indicate that it goes both ways?@Ihre Papiere Bitte!!201010141551

" there is no Gram icon ".@Disco-Legend-Zeke201010150926

(Hey! El Reg! Why isn't there a tinfoil hat icon, eh?)@James O'Shea201010192151

Where is that shoot-yourself-in-the-foot icon?@Destroy All Monsters201010220140

Posted whilst a bit pissed icon @bugalugs ( a fallen bottle or can )

how about a FYI icon ? many good ones in others' posts above too.

21. Scarborough Dave

FanBoy Icon!

Can we have a sycophantic icon, for fan boy posts?

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

@Scarborough Dave

I'm thinking something a bit more general purpose.

1) Total fanbois *completely* under the control of Apple/Google/Linux/Microsoft/etc

2)User/site/company totally pwnd by virus/worm attack.

I give you the Gimp face mask from Pulp Fiction.

Distinctive.

Stood the test of time.

Leaves people in no doubt what you think of them.

22. Mark York 3 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Bit late I know & I am not trolling through 300+ posts......

TARDIS\Sonic Screwdriver Icon

42\HHG.

Darwin Award

23. thecakeis(not)alie

Facepalm

That is all.

24. Z80

Something for those RTFA situations

We need an icon for use when responding to commentards who demonstrate a failure to take in information contained in the article or available via a link within in the article.

Maybe Penelope Cruz 'cos of her role in "Abre los ojos" - English title "Open Your Eyes"?

Also, with various cloudy networky type things breaking down recently maybe we need a titsup icon of some sort. I'll let you decide how literally to interpret it.

25. Haku

Get Off My Lawn!!!

is a needed icon for everyone who remembers when all this was just fields and the yoof of today are just a bunch of ungreatful little bastards who never had it so good

*mutter* *mumble* *grumble*

26. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

Good icons are *tough* but I have a few ideas.

Most of them should be *timeless*. XX is good/XX is bad. Well there are *plenty* of people who divide opinions like that. The saints/sinners list changes over time (Larry Ellison and Peter Norton would probably be on it and might still deserve to be) .but the fact they divide peoples *opinions* on them *never* changes.

I'm not sure how to handle this one but perhaps a general "Halo" and "Horns with trident" pair (with who should be wearing them depending on what the stories about) might do it.

Question mark for "I don't get what the poster/author is trying to say or why"

Gimp mask from Pulp Fiction for both "you're a total fanbois" and their account/website/company has been pwnd and is completely under outside control. Either you're a gimp or you've been gimped.

I'd like something a bit more timeless than the Paris Hilton one but I'm not sure who. They'd have to be well know for being vacuous on both sides of the Atlantic. Marilyn Monroe perhaps?

Marie Antoniete with "Let them eat cake" has the right tone but might be a bit high brow.

Remember *Nothing* dates faster than ideas about the future.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.