back to article UK.gov finally adds Galileo and Copernicus to the Brexit divorce bill

Nestled among the mass publication of no-deal guidance yesterday was the UK government's vision for the future of the Brit satellite and space programmes if the country falls out of the EU with no pact in March. The guidance is, unsurprisingly, grim. Galileo Billed as the EU's answer to the USA's GPS system, and aimed at …

Page:

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: To anyone pro-Brexit

"We agreed a set of rules for the referendum. We agreed that the result would be implemented, on the basis that +1 vote was enough."

I, and many others, never agreed to that, it was forced on us. A vote with such a possible monumental significant change should have a been based on a distinct and significant majority and I said so at the time. Basing a referendum of this magnitude on a simple "+1" majority was monumentally stupid without compulsory voting. No one knows what those who didn't vote thought and neither side can claim all thier votes or discount non-voters as "don't care". The 25%(ish) who didn't vote failed to do so for many reasons and can't be simply tarred with the same brush. I'm sure quite a few didn't vote because they either thought it was a waste of time, ie leave would lose, and a few might even have been so confident in a leave win that they didn't bother.

The Brexit vote had even larger ramifications to the UK as a whole than the Scottish Independence vote, yet was treated with such disdain that no one bothered to place similar conditions on it, eg minimum turnout + significant majority in favour.

2. Shades

"We agreed that the result would be implemented"

No, we most certainly did not. Unless you think any old shit is now legally binding. Let's put that to the test; Find me something, anything, in our statutes that said the referendum result would be implemented. If you can't, you owe me £5000. If you can, I owe you £5000.

So, purely on the basis I've written that, we agree to that, right? No, I didn't think so.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"We agreed that the result would be implemented"

Actually no. It was an advisory vote and I doubt even its proponents had any workable idea as to how to implement it or even expected to win it. AFAICS they were just expecting Cameron to stay on and implement it when they won. The panic when it fell to them was evident. Those who stepped up to the plate failed, those who stood on the sidelines shouting have yet again, last week, ducked out of giving is their view of how to do it, apparently out of fear it would be torn to pieces.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Don't even bother posting on The Reg.

Yeah, why bother when you've got the BBC's HYS and The Mail to vent your brainfarts.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Don't even bother posting on The Reg."

Good advice. You'll be dealing with people who, on the whole, have skills at working through the nuts and bolts of what decisions will lead to. It's their every-day job.

1. EnviableOne

The KISS

Wait for deal to be announced

hold referendum with three options:

1.Take deal and GO!

2.Stuff deal and stay!

3.Stuff deal and GO!

the current deal we have with the EU is the best anyone has, if we leave we will have to follow the whole process to come back.

No Disputes with members - That means Gibralter with spain and the Irleland problem need to be sorted before we get back in

Must Join the Euro - try getting that one passed

No Rebate - saves us a good chunk of what we put in

Fix the Surveilence regieme - They hate the 5 EYES and have some other issues too

1. Frenchie Lad

Re: The KISS

"the current deal we have with the EU is the best anyone has,"

I don't believe that is correct, the best deal is with Deutchland, they pay but they effectively run the show. It's cheaper than using military might whch they've already tried unsuccessfully. This is why the Yanks are against Merkel especially as she's cuddling up to Putin.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Brit only navigation system"

They can't be serious, can they? Duplicating that and the other stuff that came as part of the EU would wipe out the "savings" projected by even the most ardent Brexiteers.

Though I guess they won't care, Brexit was sold to the masses on the basis of saving money, but the motivation of its real supporters was always getting out from under the EU's thumb - damn the consequences to the UK economy!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I think you can be pretty sure that there won't be another ISS-like project .............. Well, it was probably worth a try..."

Very worth it, given that Russia had the only man-rated orbital vehicle when the US shuttle program died... the Russians were the ones who saved the ISS project.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"the Russians were the ones who saved the ISS project."

Yes, and no. The US wanted the Russian space program to continue and have put a lot of money their way to help ensure that. Maybe not so much in the last few years other than taxi fares, but it was partly to help retain the Russian space expertise in Russia and not have them selling out to the highest bidders all over the world. Rocket engineers wanting to Get Rich Quick can build all sorts of upwardly mobile explody things for other governments if their own government can longer no longer pay them.

4. Paul Stimpson

Faithful negotiating partners

It's my view that the EU "divorce bill" should be separated from the outcome of the current negotiations. These are things we already agreed to fund at the point we entered into them and I see our current attempts to use them as leverage in the negotiating process as very damaging to our credibility on the world stage.

How will any other country view us as a faithful and honest party to enter into any long term agreement with in future if we don't honor existing agreements and demonstrate that we have no issue walking away leaving unpaid bills if we don't get what we want at the end?

5. Wolfclaw

No word on the EU refunding all the cash we pumped in to the projects or do these unelected dictators ( I was going to call them Neo-Nazis, but that would be insulting a really nice bunch of blokes in cool uniforms ) expect to keep it and give us the finger ?

6. razorfishsl

I really am surprised that so many fucktards put "free holiday visas" and some shitty trade deals before their right to freedom.

Seems many would be quite happy under a dictaorship

7. MrMerrymaker

Easy solution

Those who wish to leave don't have to be part of the EU. They don't have to pay anything which goes to the EU, they are banned from public places built by EU money, they can't rely on EU laws which protect them in the workplace etc.

And the rest continue has we have been for years.

Win win!

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Easy solution

Throw in a couple of extras: they can't hold jobs funded by the EU or be employed in facilities established in the UK to provide their owners with an EU-based facility and they can't buy food partly paid for by EU subsidies.

8. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

If you are one of the 99% whose job is equally at risk in some other sector of the economy, then who cares?

Effect on the UK economy of your particular employer is: insignificantly small and unmeasurable.

9. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

As always the Conservative leadership put the party over the country.

The Referendum was about 2 things.

1) Killing UKIP

2) Stopping backbenchers defecting to UKIP.

Job done.

The UK economy is simply "Collateral damage" needed to save the leaderships collective backside.

The rest was just verbal bu***hit.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: As always the Conservative leadership put the party over the country.

Although to be fair Labour's position on Brexit was even worse.

We could lose the entire North to UKIP if we don't

We could lose everyone young, poor and/or black in London if we do

So we are definitely supporting ........ erm

10. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Is it just me or do Brexiteers seem to be less willing to put their names on a post?

The UK FPTP election system does not encourage coalition politics but the Leave votes seems to have been exactly that.

A coalition of the ignorant (on what the EU actually helps the British economy do) who seem unaware that while trade to the EU is 40-50% of UK trade, trade to the UK (from the other 27) is about 6.7% of their business. So who's going to be replacing who, exactly?

A coalition of the delusional. Who fantasized that ending free immigration from rest of the EU would open up a magic world of high paying jobs they could do (without any experience or qualifications) that "The furriners" were keeping them out of. The jobs they can do are hard and only pay minimum wage, but of course it's the furriners fault because......

A coalition of the racist. Who don't like Europeans but haven't worked out that those trade deals with India and China are likely to involve the UK seeing a whole lot more of those kind of furriners. BTW I note a lot of racists live in predominantly white areas and have rarely (if ever) actually seen, spoken to or worked with anyone from any place else (the North East being a strong Leave voting area). For most of them the closest they've got is reading about them in a newspaper.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like