back to article Memo man Damore is back – with lawyers: Now Google sued for 'punishing' white men

James Damore, the software engineer fired from Google after ironically firing off a neurotic memo about "neurotic" women, has launched a class-action lawsuit in the US against his former employer. The sueball was lobbed into the Superior Court of California in Santa Clara on Monday by Damore and fellow former Googler David …

Page:

1. ColonelClaw

All I know is that I wouldn't want this prick working in my office, and neither would anyone else here (I asked). Personally I don't have a problem in firing people if they stink up the atmosphere.

1. lucki bstard

With your attitude 'wouldn't want this prick working in my office' and 'I don't have a problem in firing people if they stink up the atmosphere' I can see that people would really be honest with you, and wouldn't be intimidated by you at all. Hell with that attitude and a little bit of documentation, an employee could have a lawsuit aimed at you anyday.

1. ColonelClaw

Well, it's clearly an unpopular opinion, judging by the downvotes, but I place the happiness of my existing employees above all else. We spend half our lives in the same room, I'm not prepared to share it with some bigoted misogynistic bro arsehole.

1. h4rm0ny

>>"I'm not prepared to share it with some bigoted misogynistic bro arsehole."

The problem being that you're talking about firing someone for not agreeing with you preferentially selecting by sex. Or for voting for a different political party than you (see his court filing listing many of the emails that were flying around insisting he be sacked before someone leaked the memo to make it happen).

You can't just point at someone, call them a "bro" and fire them. Well, not in Europe anyway.

2. tiggity Silver badge

Blind auditions

Lots of orchestras use blind auditions to try and reduce bias (even if it is unconscious and not deliberate)

Candidates play, behind a screen, they can be heard but not seen

Using this approach, % of women in orchestras increased a lot

Obviously quite hard for IT post, coding tests on a machine easy enough but interview more awkward (though could have voice technology, but interviews do allow hints of gender, race, "class" depending on language / idiom use so hard to make it fully bias free)

Obviously, this might not lead to greater female diversity, it would depend on gender ratio of applicants, and if selection process was actually identifying best candidates, the gender split of top candidates. In orchestra auditions plenty of women applying, in IT might have to do some "positive action" to increase number of female applicants in interview pool just because (from applications I have seen) most applicants for IT jobs tend to be men

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Blind auditions

When trying blind CVs in AU they found the number of Women and Minority successful candidates plummeted as they no longer benefited from positive recruitment bias.

1. Stevie

Citation or "shenanigans".

1. h4rm0ny

It didn't "plummet". It was around 8%. But that's sufficient to be significant and more than sufficient to show there wasn't bias against women in hiring. There was a similar but smaller effect for racial minorities.

Link

It's blackly amusing reading the foreword trying to downplay the conclusions and subtly argue for the body's continued funding.

1. Ray Foulkes

Just hilarious: It reads "In fact, in the trial we found that overall, APS officers generally discriminated in favour of female and minority candidates. " or to paraphrase "In fact, in the trial we found that overall, APS officers generally discriminated against white, male candidates."

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

El Reg really seems to have gone to the wolves since I dropped it for supporting political violence. But hey ho https://twitter.com/mjaeckel/status/950446329603461121 to see some of the great stuff going on at the goolag HQ

4. Stevie

Bah!

I think they have a point.

Unless, of course, it turns out that they are a pair of gossiping douchebags pushing their political and social agendas by denigrating others' choices and slandering their workmates.

Which would explain why no-one wanted them on their team.

5. a_yank_lurker

Forest vs Trees

The net claim is Chocolate Factory actively discriminates against certain groups in violation of state/feral laws. If true and proven, Chocolate Factory is footing the bill for some serious money plus further scrutiny such as age discrimination.

As far as why there is in imbalance in IT between men and women in the US my take is that many males who go into IT have dismal social skills even for STEM majors. Also, there is a tendency to not realize most of IT is problem solving that is a common STEM skill applied to a specific set of problems. Much of IT can be learned by anyone who wishes to spend the time.

A bit of history, in the old days there were no IT graduates so those who got into IT were often some what older, seasoned professionals who were more mature and socially adept. They had a better understanding of the fundamental role of IT in business which really has not changed to improve the bottom line by automating tasks that humans tend to do very slowly and often erratically. Often the PFYs are more interested in 'saving the world' than helping the business make money but they will not have any money if the business does not survive.

6. wolfmeister

"James Damore, the software engineer fired from Google after ironically firing off a neurotic memo about "neurotic" women"

Oh come on, that's just complete bs. Try reading the memo.

(I'm making no judgement about the merit of this "case" btw)

7. EnviableOne

Gender ratios, rooney rules and Positive discrimintaion

theres reasons why the highest suicide rate is in single white hetrosexual males over 25 and under 55.

Discrimination is wrong, and this group can't stand up for themselves without being accused of it.

Just because the legislation was created for one case doesnt mean its not valid for the opposite.

jsut have to say the race for life is only open to females, but Movember's morun is open to everyone..

8. WatAWorld

Why am I instead reading strawman arguments in The Register instead of fact-based articles?

http://thefederalist.com/2018/01/10/19-insane-tidbits-james-damores-lawsuit-googles-office-environment/

Why does The Register carry so many strawman arguments on this issue? Why does it ignore people's own statements and evidence is going on?

What is wrong with The Register's editorial staff and what happened to journalistic integrity?

1. h4rm0ny
      Unhappy

Re: Why am I instead reading strawman arguments in The Register instead of fact-based articles?

>>Why does The Register carry so many strawman arguments on this issue?

It didn't use to. But I notice that these days writer's bylines keep reading "San Francisco". Didn't use to.

9. Wilseus

The last straw

The Register has gone to shit over the last couple of years, and this article is possibly the last straw for me. Is The Inquirer any better?

10. Brian Allan 1

He's probably 100% correct in his comments if Google does indeed use a quota system for hiring. Quota systems do not attract the best employees; never have; never will. One simply has to look at the public service where the quota system is most obviously shown to be the wrong approach!

11. Jonathan Schwatrz
    Go

Great read!

I think the top people at Google need to read this post by Mike Rowe which neatly and eloquently deals with an "un-fan".

12. evilhippo

Why is El Reg posting politically partisan smear pieces written by Baizuo?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like