back to article systemd-free Devuan Linux hits version 1.0.0

Devuan, the effort to build a systemd-free version of Debian, has released Devuan Jessie 1.0.0, a release candidate felt to be just about the finished article. In a mail sent to the project's followers the self-proclaimed “Veteran Unix Admins” behind Devuan say “This Devuan Jessie release candidate is as close as we can get to …

Page:

1. Kiwi

Re: Sleeping with dogs will not give you fleas

Tip: If you like having the dogs sleep on the bed with you, get a large square bed, so whatever angle you get pushed into, your head and feet are still on the bed.

I'm not a dog person but a cat person. Tip : If you like having cats sleep on the bed don't worry about the bed size. A cat will always occupy all but a 2" strip of the bed, that strip being whichever spot is the most uncomfortable right at this time. The smallness of the cat or the largeness of the bed have no effect on this whatsoever.

1. Kiwi

Re: Someone should do a Devuan Linux Mint Cinnamon clone.

(Because unfortunately with the 18.xx versions they went the way of the systemd darkside).

Thanks for that. For some reason I thought that 17.x were using it as well and I was planning to migrate away from mint/mate, but now I see I don't yet need to do so. Just need to get rid of puke audio now, which is tied into mate-control-center through a couple of steps.

Or maybe when I get a spare few days I'll gran Devuan and move over. There's a program or two I use often that it doesn't yet have in the repos, but I might be able to grab the .debs anyway and be done with it. So long as they don't list systemd or brokeaudio as dependencies.

1. Stevie

Bah!

Did they do so while riding hoverboards?

2. kneedragon

test drive

Goodness me! All these fractious and argumentative people, abusing the main-stream for no other reason than it is the main-stream. Heaven forbid that one should have to consider the possibility that Mark Shuttleworth was right....

... NAHH!!!

My Devuan-1.0 net-install is running (just like a bought one) as I type wit and wisdom here... or demonstrate my ignorance, both work.... let's see how well Devuan works.

3. eddiejames

Devuan is a fine operating system.. for me.. It runs great on an old Dell 1521 inspiron laptop. b43 broadcom wireless works fine right out of the box. I wish the developers the best.

1. Charles 9

I own a 1521. That particular model is pretty Linux-friendly (I easily ran Mint on it).

OTOH, a 3521 might be trickier, given it was built for Windows 8+ and has Secure Boot, meaning it won't boot external media right away.

1. eddiejames

We don't use this box often. It's old, beatup, has no keys, (we use a usb keyboard), and has only 1 gig ram. I still like it. I usually use my old asus board 8 gig ram and Phenom II processor. The 1521 is sort of weird. I guess it was built for windows vista but win 7 runs on it. I think all I needed was the vista video driver and maybe the dell wireless package to run 7 comfortably. winxp was a nightmare. don't remember if I ever got all the drivers for xp.

This box has run a lot of nix's. several *BSD's. I think slackware-current x86 and x86_64 kernel wants too much of it though. The older slacks run fine. devuan 3.16.0-4-686-pae runs smoothly. Could do without the pae as it has so little ram.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like