back to article Vegans furious as Bank of England admits ‘trace’ of animal fat in £5 notes

Slacktivist vegetarians and vegans have been writing strongly worded tweets after the Bank of England confirmed that there are animal fats in the new polymer £5 notes. The plastic fivers were introduced earlier this year to replace the UK’s battered and disintegrating stocks of paper £5 notes. While at the time the bank was …

Coffee/keyboard

Re: Vegan

Have ten upvotes and a pint, sir.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Actually....

...I thought ALL UK notes contained PORK fat.

Anonymous Coward

Now I will wrap all my money in a chunk of bacon...

...So the vegans will find trace of pork and cow in bills of every value.

And perhaps they will learn to COPE with stuff that doesn't go your way, like the rest of grown-up mankind.

Unhappy

History tells us

that a British government attempting to enforce occupation/democracy on India about 100 odd years ago, mixed animal fat with munitions which were going to be handled by Hindu soldiers, with devastating results.

Certanly we can expect to see a decline in the use of fivers in popular culture, as an aid for shovelling snow on the weekends.

Silver badge
Stop

Re: Al fazed Re: History tells us

"History tells us that a British government attempting to enforce occupation/democracy on India about 100 odd years ago, mixed animal fat with munitions which were going to be handled by Hindu soldiers, with devastating results...." Er, no, that was simply anti-British propaganda. The paper cartridge packets were sealed against moisture (and also to help lubricate the bullet in the rifled barrel of the Pattern 1853 Enfield) with beeswax and mutton grease, but agitators told the troops that the seal used other animal fats, selectively telling them it was beef fat for the Hindus and pork for the Muslims. In an attempt to stop the rumour, the East India Company and the Army offered Indian troops the option to make up their own cartridge packets with vegetable oil tallow, but the agitators simply changed their story to say "That must mean we were right about the animal fats!" As with most such unsuccessful rebellions, the lying agitators (allegedly Imperial Russian spies and/or Hindu nationalists) largely escaped persecution, but the rebels that fought (the Indian sepoys) were eventually killed, imprisoned or executed. Some were executed by being chained to the muzzle of a cannon and blown apart, but before you fall for another myth about that method being a British invention, it was actually copied from the Moghuls.

Silver badge

Vitamin B12

Is provided by animal products, and very necessary for human health.

Need to get it somewhere, so why not a fiver??

Bronze badge

Re: Vitamin B12

Looking at most vegans, they aren't getting their B12.

F*** you all. I came here to get away from Daily Mail types. Yes, this is a planet of necessary violence - we get that, but one thing we have the ability to do is make choices. When that choice is taken away from you (a lot of you have been complaining about the snoopers charter) then we have a right to complain. Nuff said.

Anonymous Coward

Is it just me ?

I think vegetables taste really good, especially when eaten with some meat.

My basic understanding of human biology is that we're omnivores, and restricting certain food groups is probably a bad idea. Who am I to argue against millions of years of evolution ?

Anonymous Coward

OCD

I was in a staff canteen once (sometime ago). I used a serving implement to pick up some piece of cooked meat and put it on my plate.

My colleague who was vegetarian (not vegan) then wouldn't use that implement to put vegetables on their plate. The cross contamination must have been negligible.

To me some of vegetarians behaviour seems over the top and bordering on psychiatric OCD.

It must be really hard living life worrying that much.

Anonymous Coward

Re: OCD

It must be really easy living life being such an asshole.

Silver badge

Re: OCD

"My colleague who was vegetarian (not vegan) then wouldn't use that implement to put vegetables on their plate. The cross contamination must have been negligible."

I wouldn't agree with that. If you touch raw chicken with some implement, you wouldn't then use that implement for cooked food, or any other raw food (I certainly hope).

But we are not eating 5 pound notes, so that's a bit different.

Bronze badge

Social behaviour rule for vegans.

"Dont Ask - Dont Tell"

With corporal punishment such as caning if they still insist on telling.

Silver badge

Plants are alive too

Why should we discriminate on the life forms we kill to use them, just because it's easier for us to put our anthropomorphic feelings on animals rather than on plants?

Also, I wonder if Vegans do remove the canine teeth Nature gave us to eat Meat?

Silver badge

Fruitarians

Will fruitarians start b'tching about the other notes using dead trees?

Shurely their views and beliefs should be taken into account also?

Ban paper money now!

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

I'm not fussy. MORE FIVERS FOR ME!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018