back to article Wannabe Prime Minister Andrea Leadsom thinks all websites should be rated – just like movies

The UK's possible future prime minister thinks all websites should be classified with minimum age ratings, just like films. Andrea Leadsom is one of two candidates left in the race for the leadership of the Conservative Party; the winner of which will become the country's Prime Minister. Although many are concerned with the …

JLV
Silver badge
Happy

why stop there?

Movies have ratings.

Videogames too.

Internet should have ratings.

Age-rate all books, newspapers and mags as well. God-fearing ones get an automatic G (all ages). Unrateds? Burn them.

Children are thought of and civilization is saved!

I'd have thought AO should be penning articles putting forward the excellent views of such a prominent Leaver.

Anonymous Coward

Massive leap

More like "Great leap forward".

Let a thousand (age restricted) websites bloom.

Silver badge

Re: Massive leap

And in order to have enough people to work the fields: how about a "Cultural Revolution"? That'll the smirks off those layabout intellectuals in Cambridge.

Mine's the one with the Little Red Book in the pocket, ta.

Silver badge

Bah!

Where do I apply for a "ban this filth" rating for my incoherent and grammatically questionable blog? I could use the traffic.

Silver badge

But doesn't she also want zero regulation for startup businesses?

... so if I'm an Internet startup, can I publish my site or not?

Facepalm

Sounds like an extension of Brexit

Britain exits the rest of the world.

Three options

"There are two sound ways to ensure that children are not exposed to dangerous or disturbing content,"

Three! The third option is for parents to take responsibility for their children.

Pint

@Paul Smith: Re: Three options

Paul,

WHAT ARE YOU ON MAN???

If that were to happen, bible bashing hypocritical nut jobs would lose one of their 'levers' to get their views across 'for the sake of the children'...

Have one on me pls!!

Cheers,

Jay.

Silver badge

The WHOLE website? So does the BBC get a 'U' category, or an 'A' category 'cos there's pages with boobies on.

I look forward to the humungous piles of job vacancies to do all this classification.

Argh!! Boobies!

Silver badge

Uhhhhhhh... No.

Apparently she's only connected to reality at a few widely scattered points.

Also I don't think it's any damn business of hers who I have sex with.

Lucky for me I'm on the other side of the pond, so this is nothing to do with me. Best luck with this, England.

Stupid thinking similar to Donald Drump

This idea from MP Adrea Leadsom can be rightly categorized s completely daft.

First of all, how are tens of millions of Websites on thousands of topics/genres, new, changed and/or updated daily going to be monitored and rated.

Furthermore the British Film Board, nor any other entity in the UK (or elsewhere) has the know-how or expertise to rate Websites for example - on climate change, Astronomy (NASA), technology in it's myriad categories, Sports related Websites, healthcare websites, and so on.

It looks like the Uk is getting politicians just as balmy as US Donald Trump.

Re: Stupid thinking similar to Donald Drump

"barmy", not "balmy"

Unless you're referencing the Mighty Steve

Re: Stupid thinking similar to Donald Drump

There are now well over a billion websites and another couple of thousand have been added in the time it took you to read this sentence.

Spending just ten minutes checking each one would take one man over 19,000 years to work his way through them all.

And that's just the practicalities. Who gave her the right to decide what I can and can not view on the internet? Maybe she would be better employed working for the North Koreans.

Silver badge
Big Brother

Listen, you guys on the right side of the pond...

After the choices you have "nominated" for PM, I don't evah want to hear one phoneme of bitching/whining/tut-tutting/etc about our choices for President. You have explicitly disqualified yourselves from any high ground (moral or otherwise) in that respect.

Why are they so stupid?

Silver badge

"Why are they so stupid?"

Part of the job description?

Silver badge

Disqualified

Having had a chance to read her Wicki page and a few other articles, this woman is disqualified from leading the country by virtue of her lying about her positions and experience in finance, particularly with Braclay's Bonk who are agents of the devil.

Then she admits to not only being a committed (should be) christian but also to taking part in Parliamentary bible studies groups, having a link to religion of any type as a beneficial character trait should automatically disqualify any would be leader. Hitler had his astrologer, Bush had his fundamentalist preacher, who knows who she will have as an 'Advisor'.

So no idea about how the real world works other than missing the good ol' days of being able to get out into the world on horseback with a couple of dozen of her chums to chase a small mammal that largely (in the countyside) keeps down rodent numbers and looks cute.

Usually while out on a hunt the morons will chase the fox wherever it goes including across a farmers crops, well, if he ain't a member of the hunt y'know!

And then there's May.....

Where I live we are looking at the possibiltyof a third GE this year, the voting public in Spain don't like any of the choices they are presented with, seems to be a thing this year.

Silver badge

Re: Disqualified

So no idea about how the real world works

...to chase a small mammal that largely (in the countyside) keeps down rodent numbers and looks cute.

I'm sorry, but you also have no idea how the real world works if you come out with shit like that.

Foxes are a pest that kill enormous numbers of chickens and geese every year, they aren't just a cute little animal.

Silver badge

Yeah, the foxes shouldn't have any right to eat. Why not exterminate all wild animals from this island while we are at it? In other countries they have bears, lions, tigers etc, but in this one we can't accept some foxes. Pathetic.

Besides, if they are too many, just shoot some humanely and professionaly. Don't effing torture them for toff-"sport".

WTF?

@Alister: Re: Disqualified

Alister,

if I may chip-in, if Fox hunting is a sport, how many of the dogs/horses/riders have to get ripped to bits for the fox to have 'won'?

Sport it isn't, imho it is a moderately good reason to get dressed up and ride around the countryside, [potentially] killing a fox in the process.

Also I do live in the countryside, have neighbours who have lost chickens due to foxes, and have relatives who did hunt...

Regards,

Jay

Silver badge

Re: @Alister: Disqualified

@Jay,

I don't think I said anywhere that I support hunting, did I?

I was simply correcting ChrisG who said "a small mammal that largely (in the countyside) keeps down rodent numbers and looks cute"

This may be the townies view, but anyone who farms knows what a struggle it is to deal with foxes.

Silver badge

@anonymous boring coward

Yeah, the foxes shouldn't have any right to eat. Why not exterminate all wild animals from this island while we are at it? In other countries they have bears, lions, tigers etc, but in this one we can't accept some foxes. Pathetic.

Wow, Strawman much?

No, the foxes shouldn't have the right to eat farmed poultry, there's plenty of other things they could eat. I did not, and do not suggest exterminating them all, I've no idea where you got that from. And I don't support hunting, either.

WTF?

What is she going to do if somebody writes "fuck" in the comments?

I think I prefer Leadsome to May simply because she will invoke article 50 quicker, but this is a really goddam silly idea.

Anonymous Coward

Hanging for downloading mp3's can't be far off at this rate.

Silver badge

"We checked with Leadsom's office"

Good. It's much better than reaching out.

Hmm. Am I going to have to add Leadsom to my spill chucker word list?

Silver badge

Thinking about it, if it were feasible, it would be useful. There are plenty of infantile sites to be avoided.

Slx
Silver badge

Bye bye UK tech industry

Do the Tories actually want an economy???

So far they've basically put the City of London at risk and now they seem to be planning to become about as friendly to the tech sector as Iran and China.

This is really looking bleak!

... and I think all politicians should be rated by the citizens and thrown in prison if they are determined to be crooks, thugs, liars, cheats, deceivers, enter into really bad deals and contracts, waste our money, etc.

Awe, screw the rating. They all deserve life-long prison sentences. Maybe a little Minority Report style look-ahead so we can catch these scumbags before they manage to reach office.

xyz

Oh God, Oh God, Oh God...

....how have politicians managed to "miss" the internet to such an extent that they still think it's some trendy new TV channel. Non nerds have been using it en mass since about 2000 and the average road sweeper appears to know more about how it works than people who are supposed to be running the country. Surely in the past 16 years this person must have used the bloody thing or manybe she has a "man who does" that sorts out all that tiresome data entry stuff.

Silver badge

Re: Oh God, Oh God, Oh God...

'politicians managed to "miss" the internet'

Of course they haven't missed it. They just want control of it.

Silver badge

Re: Oh God, Oh God, Oh God...

"Of course they haven't missed it. They just want control of it."

In Sweden, som 20+ years ago, they politicians really looked at how to control what content was available to the web surfers. Not to protect children, but to protect the Swedish population from incorrect views.

The Social Democrats had traditionally had the press in their hands by having some really strange publication laws, as well as massive state contributions to newspapers that were deemed worthy. You can imagine how that put the lid on the papers being too critical of politicians.

Unlike China, Sweden didn't have the resources to build a Great Firewall.

This post has been deleted by its author

Bronze badge

Double Standards??

Would you run an article strap line that said "Maybe Allah Told him to do it" about Sadiq Khan?

If not, why run one that says "Maybe God Told her to do it".

I'm athiest, but find the double standards in left wing authors fucking disgraceful.

The person who wrote this would be off screaming "Islamaphobia" if anyone said the same thing about Islam with regards to a Muslim politician.

Anonymous Coward

Re: "...need of a monitor for obscene and adult websites."

When she loses her bid for prime minister shortly, may be she should put her money where her mouth is and apply for that particular job vacancy, rather than just letting some peon destroy their own view of humanity, and probably their marriage and family relationships.

Silver badge

She really is dangerously stupid, even for a politician.

Apparently she also claims to know what God wants. Although it does seem unlikely that God would have a strong view on EU.

What could possibly go wrong?

MJI
Silver badge

If I was God I would not want to talk to her.

EU red-tape: the Quantum Leap from Burdensome to Leadsom?

Need we say more?

FAIL

Liedsome's website

http://www.andrealeadsom.com/working-for-you/andrea's-blog/a-tory-mums-recipe-for-a-perfect-british-society/27

Perhaps she should start with her own blog page, pass the sickbag......

p.s Upvote for anyone who can get a comment published, good luck with that!

Anonymous Coward

Re: Liedsome's website

"p.s Upvote for anyone who can get a comment published, good luck with that!"

Not unlike theGuardian.com of late, then...

Big Brother

Re: Liedsome's website

"Not unlike theGuardian.com of late, then..."

Downvoted for anon. posting. Hardly contentious when blogs screen comments, is it?

What are you afraid of? (vernacular)

or

Of what are you afraid? (correct grammar version?)

Silver badge

Right wing views...?

...no subsidies for renewable energy...

That sounds just like common sense...

Anonymous Coward

Demoncracy

Andrea Leadsom / Theresa May = Demoncracy, not Democracy.

Silver badge

Open Auditions

She auditioning for the position of Idiot aka Congress Critter? I doubt she has a clue how the vast the Internet is and dynamic it is.

Anonymous Coward

Feasible?

How would you even enforce that?

And how may people would be needed to rate sites?

And how would you find them (the sites)?

RDW

Leave Campaign website - age rating 40+

Yes, we can

LOL. Just Youtube adds simultaneously an estimated 18000 videos to be censored rated.

Angel

Install Net Nanny Dear!

Or how about the government hands out Net Nanny with every ISP account?

It's always amusing when 'conservatives', who want less regulation and less government, come up with excuses to impose exactly the opposite upon the citizenry. Cognitive dissonance.

Urgh

So we have Nigel Farage in a Thatcher costume or Thatcher in a Thatcher costume. Brilliant and well done 52%

Silver badge

Book* tip: Alan Bennett - The Uncommon Reader. (If only, if only, if only... well, a man can dream.)

* Yes, I know, it's a bloody "novella".

EU regulations

Well aren't you really glad you left the EU and all their regulations now? Cookie law? Ha, screw the EU now the UK doesn't have to deal with that bullshit no more!

Congratulations on winning your freedom!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018