back to article Lester Haines: RIP

It is with incredible sadness that El Reg must report that Lester Haines, one of our finest story-tellers and an all-round good bloke, passed away on Monday. We have published his obituary, The Life and Times of Lester Haines. Lester, who was 55, died of a heart attack at his home in Spain. He will be cremated on Friday 17 …

Pint

A Sad Loss

Here's a chlorine trifluoride to you, Lester, for bringing SPB / BACON / PARIS / LOHAN / rocketry to us commentards.

Will be sadly missed.

RIP

:(

So Long

and thanks for all the wit

Not going to be quite the same round here.

Condolences to his family.

:'(

Condolences to his family.

A token

Is there a single token, of any nature, through which Lester may be remembered and identified by?

I have tried to think of one for many hours, but my eyes keep filling up.

In my mind, he is a legend. That will do.

Pint

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi.

Nuff said, good bloke.

Sad loss

Lester will be greatly missed.

I am very sorry to hear this. It was always a pleasure to read anything by him, whether about the Special Projects or the whimsy about home and family.

My deepest condolences to those who knew and loved him.

Silver badge

Requiescat in pace

Darn Lester! You cannot just grab your coat and leave. And who is now going to do the proper PlayMobil re-enactment of your funeral? You will be missed.

My sincere condolences to his family and colleagues at El Reg.

Oh

:((

DVG

Pint

I had hoped this was some sort of sad joke...

...but it doesn't look like it is. Not much to add that hasn't been said already and more eloquently by others. Never met him in person but always really enjoyed his work here over the many, many years.

Wow, this has got me tearing up.

A thought

As we all know, Lester did some sterling work raising funds for anti-malaria charity through his own quid-a-day nosh challenge and in starting up an El Reg Posse for same.

Could we set up some sort of fundraiser in his memory? At least we'd have some small bit of good come from this utterly shit news.

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

:(

His articles would brighten up a dull day and sometimes made me laugh so hard I'd be gasping for air.

Sincere condolences to his family and colleagues.

RIP Lester.

Pint

Sad news

It was always immediately clear when an article had Lester as its author (usually in a good way :) . The culinary journeys, the journeys over land and water chasing after projects, and even tilting at windmills enriched my life on a far continent, as they did many others, especially those who knew him personally. My deep condolences to Lester's family and to the Reg family.

Pint

Aww, on an awful day just more sad news.

Rest easy, man.

So long, Lester

Only fitting thing to say is

- 30 -

Pint

Didn't have the privilege to be here then.

Already knowing He is a hugely missed Man. Cheers, Lester! You'll be called to Service soon again! Enjoy the evening!

Unhappy

A good man

Used to enjoy not only his stories and overall writing, but his participation in the forums afterwards. A sign of someone who cared about his audience.

Look down sometime, Lester, and you'll (eventually) see your LOHAN perform.

Pint

Sympathy

A sad loss - I always enjoyed his writing.

Please extend my sympathies to his family, and the mules.

Chris Cosgrove

ni!

I finally signed up just to upvote others comments

you'll be missed

Anonymous Coward

The Man Was A Legend

What a huge loss for everyone who knew him through his antics or his writing of his antics.

RIP Lester Haines.

A very sad day - my deepest sympathies to family, friends and colleagues.

Pint

Terrible

Terrible news, my thoughts are with his family and friends.

I'll certainly raise a glass to him

Gods' speed Lester

Always interesting and informative - we loved him.

Humblest to Lester's Family and Friends - we will miss him - a wonderful guy.

RIP Lester

What everybody has already said...

...plus my personal thanks for all the hugely entertaining articles which often went on to produce some superb comment threads.

Silver badge
Unhappy

RIP

Terrible.

Deepest, deepest condolences to his family, friends and colleagues at El Reg.

Unhappy

It's going a bit blurry here.

Goodbye, Lester. May your glass be never empty.

Lester, you were always good for a laugh old son. Any time I saw your name on a byline, I always clicked to read the article as you rarely disappointed. Thanks for the smiles.

Sorry mate, you will be missed.

Big stones and Better Sarnies.

Lester has left many of us in the world heartbroken, not only for his classy wit, snappy chat and incredible humor but also for his world class bacon eating abilities . I Drank and cried with the guy, i was even featured as an ugly bearded bloke in some of his posts, but what i remember most most of all was his overall enthusiasm for both his life and his readers and the continued effort he put into each of them (powered of course again by bacon sarnies).

I think the words here tonight have spoken more of him than any of us can say and i want you all to know that your kind words have all been passed on.

For all of those that had the heart to believe in a small space project and kick start the idea, i want you to raise those mugs tonight, i want you to once again believe in the spirit that has so much transcended that of the common dude, have a beer or a shot of bacon to my good old uncle.

Godspeed Les, Ad Astra Tabernamque

Ill meet you there

Mattx

As a pinko-commie-subversive vegetarian, I think I disagreed with just about everything he ever wrote for El Reg.

I'll miss you mate.

Silver badge

R.I.P Lester. One of the few Reg writers who responded and listened to commentards. You will be sadly missed.

Pint

We will miss you, Lester

More than anyone at El Reg, you built a community around the many interests you pursued.

Our condolences to your family.

Silver badge
Pint

Best wishes

Never met the man, but liked his work. Sadly, in the IT (and perhaps most engineering and technical) professions in general, life expectancy seems to be well down from many others. Ours is not a healthy world in general, with many of us being more sedentary than is good for us, not to mention chronic overwork and stress, and with a love of good food followed by a bit of the grape or malt to relax and forget when a hard day (most days) is done.

Anonymous Coward

Sad, sad, loss. Lester's articles were some of the best writing around. Unpretentious, funny and engaging. It feels in many ways that he is the Reg. I know you've got a server closet full of talent there, but Lester was one in a million. I hope his family gets something out of knowing how many people Lester has entertained and elightened from all over the globe.

Silver badge
Pint

Genuinely sad for a man and his family I never met

I have to admit that, when I read the comment from Lester's vetinary mate, my first thought was 'Oh yes, what's the old bugger up to this time?'

Sad to lose such a genuinely clever and witty man and a true garden shed boffin. May LOHAN soar in his memory.

I'm sure I won't be the only one raising several of these to his memory tonight.

Silver badge
Unhappy

:-(

I've enjoyed many of your articles over the years. You'll be missed

Pint

I always enjoyed reading his articles and his wit.

He will be missed. *raises glass in remembrance*

My condolences to his friends and family

The passing of a legend

Lester kept us entertained for a decade and a half, and will be sorely missed.

Very sad day for El Reg.

Unhappy

OMG.. This is terrible.. Ive so enjoyed his work over such a long time.

To Lester's family and friends, my condolences.

The man touched so many people across the globe by his humor, wisdom and passion.

Many never met Lester in person, yet felt like close friends thanks to his articles.

Godspeed Lester, and thank you. You will be missed.

Dan

Oh damn!

I liked his work. R.I.P.

You introduced me to some of the most ridiculously amazing post-beer food recipes - I definitely nearly burnt my house down several times flitting between the frying pan and the computer whilst inebriated! Ill raise a glass to you this weekend - RIP!

Silver badge

A light went out at El Reg towers.

And no amount of IT knowledge can replace it :(

Sad news indeed

I enjoyed his writing and am sad hear about his passing.

Rest up fella, sounds like you've earned it.

One of the contributors I would regularly read for his wit and wisdom. He'll be missed by us all.

Sad to see you go

Your articles often pulled me up when I needed it. Condolences to your family.

Pint

Raising my LOHAN mug...

RIP Lester..

Real bad news. Condolences to his family and colleagues.

Descansa en paz Lester.

Pint

One of the reasons I signed up for El Reg

au revoir Lester

RIP

Very sad

All my condolences to his family and friends - extra sad to lose him so (relatively) young - and (I presume) suddenly.

On a professional level, his articles (whether on the relatively-low-budget science and engineering SPB stuff), or foodstuffs, or downright daft stuff, were often informative, and *always* entertaining - in a heartwarming way.

(The IT content was often non-existent, but who cares ...)

A person who notably enriched life.

Again - all my sympathies to family and friends.

Silver badge

Rest in peace.

::raises a homebrew in your honor::

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018