back to article $10,000 Ethernet cable promises BONKERS MP3 audio experience

Got £6,899 (US$10,500) to spare and worried that a Cat-6 Ethernet cable is keeping you from hearing the very best of your NAS-stored collection of MP3s? Fear not, your moment has come, with this work of wonder from Audio Quest. El Reg notes that the advertisement indicates the age of Audio Quest's engineers. Since the super- …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not just Audio made better, either!

My Gentoo installs are coming down pre-compiled now I have this plugged into the intertubes.

.. and calling themselves Arch ...

1. vang0gh
    WTF?

How absurd! Best Buy only charges half that for a patch cord.

2. Clive Harris

They seem to have withdrawn the ad

I just checked a few minutes ago and got a 404 error for that page. Either they've withdrawn it, or their server has crashed from the deluge of customers trying to order one.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Electrons do not even exist

What we call electrons are just space time banging against matter. This cable is essential to ensure that the space time continuum is not distorted while streaming beats.

4. Hans 1

On sale now for 599.00

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/7924/audioquest-diamond-rj-e-ethernet-cable-0-75m/

>"I'd sum up these differences as more. You get an increasingly large sound picture as you move up the line, greater differentiation between sonic elements, and a greater sense of clarity. Again, these changes are not subtle or slight. I did not have to do any sort of special listening to special tracks, put on a lab coat, or comb my thinning hair in a particular manner. All I had to do was sit and listen and the changes I've described were readily apparent."

Hilarious!

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: On sale now for 599.00

This one is just 75cm long, the 10k one was 12 meters.

Now that all possible jokes have been exchanged on the subject I can actually try to explain what is going on here...

In the good old days, HiFi magazines and retailers advised buyers to spend about 10% of the total system cost on cables and interconnects. I am pretty certain that the advice remains more or less unchanged for the "digital" era.

Now, if you are selling a $100k multi-room system to a nouveau riche customer (to plug his iPod in), you MUST offer him cables that are expensive enough for him to feel satisfied. If you don't, he will think you are withholding something from him or, worse, dissing him and taking him for a fool.

He is not a fool - he has read the advice, he knows the cables must cost 10% or they are no good. So, you have to have a product that will placate the guy or risk a drive-by shooting incident.

5. Andy The Hat Silver badge

I haven't seen such a frenzied discussion about Hi-Fi since "The Great Gold Sticker on the Mains Plug" debacle of 1988!

At least these leads are aimed at absolute idiots with more money than sense, my elderly neighbour bought a replacement tv and was hassled by a salesman into buying a scart lead (that they didn't need) for £110 ... the git

6. s. pam Silver badge
    Holmes

I'm sure all the UK.Gov / NHS Consulting firms...

Are already ordering them by the container ship load.

Or at least billing for same whilst using a £0.50 one!

7. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Just out of curiosity

what IS the Reg record for most commented story? Shirley this one ought to be a contender, eh?

8. Hi Wreck

At that price...

The connectors should be gold, not silver. Gold doesn't rust like silver does.

9. Andy 30

Compression is the answer

Take all the air out of the 0's and turn the 1's through 90 degrees. You would then transmit ...---... instead of 000111000. It will go round the bends quicker too as it will be more streamlined therefore you will be able to hear more music, quicker. Simples really

10. Asylum Sam

Looks like...

it's either been pulled or has sold out. Still, I was happy to see that they have a 'vodka standard' of cables, once I'm appointed global overseer, they'll be the ones for me!

{wonders if he could slip 50 meters or so through the company IT budget,,, for the good of the company, obviously}

1. Soruk

Re: Looks like...

75cm for £599 here http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/7924/audioquest-diamond-rj-e-ethernet-cable-0-75m/

and 8m here for £4739 - http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/8040/audioquest-diamond-rj-e-ethernet-cable-8m/

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Science

This page fully explains the hard science: http://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioquest-diamond-rje-ethernet-cable-3m-p-5849.html#.VNszgWNomIS

I think I'll just quote the source, as I can't really add any more:

What is DBS?

AudioQuest’s founder and chief designer, William Low, explains the Dielectric-Bias System: “DBS puts all of a cable’s dielectric into a comparatively high voltage DC field ... continuously from the time the cable is terminated. The exceptionally simple design uses a wire down the middle of the cable, which is simply an extension of a battery’s cathode. This wire is attached to negative (-) of a DBS battery pack, and nothing else. It is not in the signal path and has no interaction with the signal. Depending on the model of interconnect (analog or digital) or speaker cable, an existing foil “shield” is used as the DBS anode by connecting it to positive (+) of the DBS battery pack. A battery terminal, anode or cathode, has no current waiting to pour out, as does the earth relative to a negatively charged cloud. A battery is a chemical reaction waiting to happen. Both poles of the battery have to be connected to each other in order to initiate this reaction. The point is that since the anode and cathode of a DBS battery pack are never connected, there is no current flow, only a potential across the dielectric (insulation) in-between the DBS field elements.”

This is so good, I've purchased two instead of paying the mortgage for 6 months: one for my kettle and one to wear as a belt. I'll let you all know how I get on.

1. DiViDeD

Re: Science

I had all my dielectric stuck in a field once. Took weeks for the swelling to go down.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: Science

Isn't it a description of a capacitor? And what will happen if a rat takes a bite of the cable?

11. DiViDeD

mp3???

Surely any TRUE audiophoole is listening only to uncompressed FLAC files encoded at 1430khz and then lovingly transferred to gold plated vinyl disc using cables handcrafted from only the finest unicorn horn?

And on a valve amp, natch.

12. Adrian Tawse

More than stupid

There are stupid people, grossly stupid people, and then there are HI buffs. These people are way beyond ordinary levels of stupidity, they are hyper stupid. Some years ago I read an article in What HiFi. This was a review of speaker cables. The introduction stated quite clearly that the sole function of a speaker cable was to transport current from the amp to the speaker with as little interference as possible. To this end the sole requirement was low resistance.

Second in the roundup was a cable that had two cores in parallel, one thicker than the other. It was claimed that the thinner of the two would transfer the high frequencies while the thicker would handle lower frequencies. The top scorer had just one thin core, obviously of higher resistance tan a thicker core. The review raved about the "Crisp Tonality" of the cable. All it was doing was introducing a bass cut with its higher resistance. The price for this piece of tat? An unbelievable £1000. There are the stupid, the grossly stupid and, alone in the category of hyper stupid are HiFi buffs.

13. Shovel

Since sound travels faster over water, then electricity must travel faster through water. Let's sell $2000000 'Water-Net Wire" for the ultimate, zero delay, crystal-clear mp3 experience. Call them H2 Oh! Wires.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Except copper is solid, and sound travels fastest through a solid.

14. SFCable

Hum on an audio power supply says nothing about the input cable and everything about the power supply designer:

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon