El Reg Redesign - leave your comment here.

December 19 Update no.4 - changes Changed screen outside site background colour from white to grey. Top Art in stories - now editorially selectable - in response to feedback about relevance (see above). Reduced headline font size on Hero “story” at top of front page, articles and forum pages. Masthead - entirely …

This topic was created by Drewc .

nav bar flash: annoying

Hi there, is it just me wiggling my mouse around too much, or the top nav bar flash when you pass over it for some reason (... move mouse from some link in the page to a new browser tab, springs to mind ) , and it dutifully fires a very brief hover event, is quite annoying ?

Plus, I add myself to the Get Back Fluid Widths camp.

Oh, and on the frontpage, I find it a bit hard to understand where a news "box" (actually div class="headline") ends and the next (laterally and vertically) starts. Also, I see in the markup you've got a data-epoch attribute in the timestamp span. I might be mistaken, but that's not much of a date microformat ...

Also on the fronpage : 650x431 pixels for the large story box is a bit too much. Perfect for Page3 boobs, but not for the Register, I think.

my 2 x 10^-2 euros

In the words of Homer Simpson to Ned Flanders

"You suck-didly-uck new Reg!"

Still not looking good on mobile

On mobile I've always hated using ElReg. Now it is certainly better, But I still need to zoom in. On Mobile devices You need larger fonts,links and one collumn view.

Silver badge

http://youtu.be/cDGlN6mluGA

That is all.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Madness

main images MADLY too big. If I zoom out to make image correct size the text is greeked.

Browser unfortunately can Zoom out on everything or on text only. But can't reduce image size and leave text alone.

This is HORRIBLE. I don't want a kiddies Picture book. I want TEXT!!

Idiots.

I come here to READ! Not gaze at photos or Gifs.

Silver badge

My comments.

Headline too big.

Story picture waaaaay too big.

El Reg banner logo looks very 1990's, mostly just blank red space.

Overall look of the site is too bland.

Roll-over menu bar is a real pain in the backside. (I tend to middle click the stories I'm interested in to open a load of new tabs then read - moving up to the tabs "flashes" am irritatingly huge pop-up at me)

Too much "stuff" all the way from the top border down a screen and a half before I get to the article.

Getting back to the banner, why not move the actual logo to the left of the "red top" then put the "Hello user | sign out", the "Cash'n'Carrion Whitepapers The Channel" and maybe even the search box inside the "red top".

Next, make the story image 100% relevant and a suitable size, ie in the story "No more free Windows... and now it’s all about the services", crop out the huge blue area at the bottom of the image and get rid of the image for "FreeBSD developers VANQUISH Demon bug" altogether. It's a tech web site with tech aware readers. We don't need a picture of a fly on a keyboard to let us know what is meant by "bug".

If there's no press release or picture of the person/thing the story is about, then don't bother with an image at all. A huge Goggle logo pasted over a skull doesn't add to the headline. Surely you've sat through depressingly graphic powerpoint presentations and had a moan about over use of graphics, images etc? I know there's regular comments from your readers about that very subject. Please don't do it on the site.

I would suggest scaling the story image to be no more than half the article width and putting it inside the text, top left and flow the text around it if you really must have pictures. Oh, and if you want to get any awards for accessablie content, put something useful in the alt tags.

Someone wise once said a picture is worth a thousand words. A quick review of the latest 10 or stories tells me you've managed to fit a thousand words into one in most cases. And the Word is "meh!"

Silver badge

Those images are big aren't they?

I'd like to say more but I still haven't managed to scroll down to the text yet... It must be even better for those with a bog-standard 16:9 laptop.

Re: Those images are big aren't they?

I thought I hit the mobile site, I backspaced the 16:9 bit fo fer it wasn't actually 16:9 in my comment, but this! Seriously! Also the topic list has nothing but a little bit of white space (EVERY SPACE IS WHITE HERE) so it's like .... a wall of text.

"I have an idea, lets make his topic list have 1px more padding between different topics than lines"

copying others

It seems like the type of design you have gone for is the norm these days, digital spy is almost the same, our local paper site is about the same. i think web designers seems to come out of the same mould these days. I hate these stupid menus at the top that seems to be on almost every site now.

CHANGE IT BACK

Does anyone else here have a NORMAL LAPTOP SCREEN? Now the first article's picture TAKES ALL THE SPACE.

I thought I got the mobile site at first!

PLEASE DON'T STREAMLINE THE UX (which is User eXperience I am told)

Change it back, this is not me being resistant to change, it's really a step backwards.

GBE

Didn't notice the change.

I honestly didn't notice any difference until I read the article about it.

I do now see that the layout of the comments page is broken rather badly (at least in my copy of Firefox). There's a tall column of coments with several inches of whitespace on each side. Below that, there's the login/logout stuff shoved up agains the right hand edge of the window. Then below that there's a column of ads a few inches wide and a couple feet tall with 10-12 inches of whitespace on the left. Then the footer way, way down there below all that.

Fail.

I honestly don't understand why peple think web sites have to be redesigned every year or two simply for the sake of change. Is the web designer union that strong? Web sites don't ever seem to get any better -- just different.

I assume the real purpose is to intentionally move everything around so that people can't find anything. That way they have to waste time stumblling past more crap and more ads before they find what they actually came for.

I'm pretty sure large brick and morter retailers swear by that...

Gold badge

Comments layout broken?

We have not touched the comments layout - so am not sure what is going on here. If you have time, please send us screenshot, browser version, OS to webmaster@theregister.co.uk

Thanks.

I'm no design expert but...

To be honest, I'm not loving it. Maybe it's just because it's different and I'll get used to it, but I just seem to be scrolling forever to get through all the articles. I know you've tried to declutter things, but for me the FP looks even more cluttered than it did before, but like I said I'm no design expert. Pictures though is good, I like pictures.

Bloody hell! On a 24" screen at 1920x1080, the headline picture is insanely big! I thought those sheep were in my living room FFS!

Silver badge
Happy

"thought those sheep were in my living room FFS!"

Yes, as a Welshman, I have to conceed that that part of the site design was welcome

Images too big.

It's difficult to really assess the redesign when there's a fundamental flaw for me. I have to scroll down a whole page to see any text in any article. The images are massive. Thumbnails, please. Really. Please?

Facepalm

My tuppence worth

I read El Reg for entertainment and enlightenment, so I'm prepared to put up with advertising so that the staff can eat. Sometimes the ads have even worked! However, top banner and sidebar advertising selling the same thing? I don't need to see it twice, I'm not going to think "I wasn't sure about that product when I saw the banner ad, but now I've seen the portrait ad, I'll buy five!". Can you drop the Top banner ad, so we can see some more headlines? You can show me more ads once you've drawn me in!

The Top Stories are in the wrong place and take up far too much room with the large picture - you could fit a thousand words in that space! What I want to see when I open El Reg are the Latest Stories at the top of the page, without having to scroll down for them.

There's too much repetition on the page. Is there that much difference between Top Stories, Most Read and Spotlight? Just keep Most Read but with the format of Spotlight

Finally. For the love of all that is holy, can you switch off the Expanding Nav Bar? Or at least put a delay on it so the menu only pops up if I hover over it? I don't want it jumping up at me every time my mouse goes near it, especially if it covers over the very thing I want to click on, so I have to move the pointer down past the unwanted pop-up, then back up again once it disappears.

Happy

Re: My tuppence worth

It looks nice on my mobile though...

Everything is bigger - and they named and shamed the arses that did this

That whitepaper section is at least 3x the area it was before, and still shows 4 things - nice work. The picture on the article was the same height as the viewable area on my screen (I have a menubar, but otherwise a maximised browser window). I can't go to the homepage without hitting some sort of tripwire where some sort of homosexual rights guy pops up (mouse over bootnotes).

BUT we know who to blame:

Props to Kevin, Fenke, Murray and Marco for all their work on making this design live.

Does props mean "Demoted to work experience kid"?

Re: Everything is bigger - and they named and shamed the arses that did this

I'm hoping it means they're being given pit props for being reassigned to an arabian salt mine.

For the time being I've added theregister.co.uk##LI to my element filters to get rid of that mongolian fustercluck of a twattoided bonkmuzzle that SHOUTS AT THE TOP OF EVERY PAGE and theregister.co.uk##.article_head to get rid of those ridiculously huge stock photos that someone must have either been forced to add with a gun to their head, as a last wish for a dying relative or because they were in the middle of a particularly debilitating bout of laudanum withdrawal.

In a nutshell... yeah, love the new design! It's fab with a capital sarchasm.

Re: Everything is bigger - and they named and shamed the arses that did this

Looks like I pasted the wrong thing there, the actual block rule for the stupid hovering bollock is theregister.co.uk###top_nav

Roo

This will be lost in the tide... But here goes...

Reg, that reformatting effort was very, very brave.

Please turn it back

The new layout looks very white and dated

This is not modern or fresh

The text and pictures are very large, even on 1080p screens. The site does seem designed for tablets rather than anything else.

Please bring back the old layout

Silver badge

Re: Please turn it back

I use. Tablet most of the time, and to me, any site 'designed for mobile/tablet' is crap.

Remember that thing called HTML, that could flow and adjust itself to any device size?

Anonymous Coward

Tabloid to tabletoid?

It all looks very iPad and designed more for thumbs than mice.

Major dislike.. How (if possible) can I disable the expanding nav bar / mouseover behaviour using Firefox? I like simple menu bars I can click on, not ones that eat 1/3rd of the browser display every time the mouse gets close. I'm guessing this behaviour is to suit touch screens.

What's wrong with red to show stories I've read? The black/grey scheme is much less obvious.

Subscription idea

This should be the new version, but for a subscription fee we can buy "downgrade rights". (Win 8 reference) but seriously it burns. Please put some borders around the boxes so I can tell where stuff ends easily!

This is my 2nd comment now, PLEASE stop and change it back. I don't want to go to ZDnet (any other good sites? Please tell me)they're usually only good for comment lols.

Silver badge

I thought you'd been hacked

"improving comments"

Clearly I am on some moderation list, but if you want me to "improve my comment", then how do I do that now? There is no link, nor is there an edit box any more.

Severe but practical.

I'm not all that struck on the top nav menu and all that blurts over the page from it, but to be honest, I think I quite like the new layout. It feels quite natural to use for me. I only ever use it on desktop and iPad, which I haven't tried it on as yet, but I will do. I'm not sure how that menu will feel on a tablet. hmm

To be fair though, I have rarely forayed into the nav menu in all the years that I have been reading here. I usually just skim the main page for articles of interest, poke around the comments and I'm off again. Sadly that's a few times each day, on average. So really, for me, it's the main content area of the page that gets my attention, nothing much around the edges. Apart from being really "appealed to" by the always relevant advertising on this site. ;) In fact, it's the only site throughout the entire web that actively makes me just spunk money galore as a direct result of advertising. *

* Just doing my bit to help. Feel free to use it as a testimonial of sorts when talking with your advertising peeps. :-D

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Why?

Just... Why?

Here's a picture of how bad it looks

They're not zoomed, 100% as you can see in the picture, these are 32" screens, yes I cropped part of it (so no one judges me for my games) and also yes I cleaned my desk, again for fear of judgment.

http://alec-teal.co.uk/IMG_20141211_220104.JPG

LOOK at how bad that is. Do you guys see it?

Re: Here's a picture of how bad it looks

I know, that trunking is a bit off, isn't it?

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Here's a picture of how bad it looks

"also yes I cleaned my desk, again for fear of judgment."

I judge you for cleaning your desk.

I love it!

Had to put this in here, just to be different. Really, I'm colour-blind and I don't care. Just give me the articles.

urgh

When will people work out we don't all use a tablet or phone all the time?

Mobile theme yes, but can we have a real website for real use?

this is horrible on my desktop, and mouseover menus are a travesty best left in 1998.

Silver badge

Just spotted another "gotcha"

In us_navy_deploys_poncey_laser_cannon, we get a huge image to "highlight" the story, then two lines of text then the same huge image again.

PLEASE DON'T DO THAT. I'll assume for today that it's teething troubles, but did no one actually look at that page before clicking on "publish"?

Gold badge

Re: Just spotted another "gotcha"

Thanks for the catch - teething production issue here. Think this will fade away.

thought me browser wss hijacked and opened the wrong site....

first impression: far too busy. Looks like a bog standard lamestream media site. I might grow more comfortable with it, but really I liked the old layout.

WTF?

NO!

Just... no!

From the glaringly over bright page with text bordering on the ridiculously large, to articles that - unless I have my browser at near enough full-screen height - I have to scroll down just to START reading because of a massive, unnecessary image on each page? No no no no no !

Sorry, but I find this redesign supermegafugly

WTF?

Flagrant design error. Register over. Rubbish = very yes

There aren't enough swear words in all the human languages that have ever been spoken to express how much I dislike this. Not even if you count the try-hard phonies like Esperanto and Klingon. I'm Australian, so when I find myself struggling to muster sufficient profanity, the aggravation has exceeded all bounds of natural law and common decency. Change it back forthwith, or by all that's Chromey I'll remove you from my list of homepage tabs.

Anonymous Coward

What about being a responsive site?

Everything listed in what you have changed is not revolutionary, and certainly not made the site more modern, just more like it should have been 5 years ago already.

Anonymous Coward

THIS IS YOUR WINDOWS 8 EL REG!!!!!

GO BACK TO THE XP VERSION YOU TWATS!!!!!

The uncategorised retro style was perfect - I felt in control of the content

So El Reg goes all modern and now looks like every other news site. Hire an agency and it will get even worse.

Every time a designer gets between a reader and content, something gets lost. We start seeing things with a designers perspective . . . and what do they know. They know white space, dotted rules and superfluous information - that's what they know. Your old style just presented stories, not content pre-digested by those good with coloured pencils.

It's a shame really. El Reg was an eccentric site with an effective, easy to use retro interface. Now the designers union has homogenised it.

A new design! Just what I was thinking.

Indeed, just yesterday, I thought, "Hey, I've been reading El Reg for years... haven't they changed it 't all? Mm, they could use a little touch here and there. Ah well. Good stuff, I'll keep mindless devouring.

Still not sure what I think, but yeah. Not offended or nothing so far.

Stop

Oh boy

I'd just upgraded Firefox and thought it was that, then up came the article about the redesign. Using either firefox or ie I've got about 50% of my screen completely white, either side of the screen, not pretty. The top third of the screen is taken up by a humoungous picture with the caption running opaquely through the bottom of the picture. I've a mate that's a printer, if he sees this in print he ends up rolling on the floor in tears at the ineptitude/inexperience of the layout designer, because it makes the text hard to read. I have to concur and think this is equally applicable to web design.

The white at the edge of the screen is like having two bright lights on either side of the screen, not very pleasant.

I've also only got one and a half row of articles at the bottom of the screen.

Was your UA testing internal, because you need more people commenting on it before you send something like this live, banks, big business (I've consulted at both) have big UA Testing teams.

Right end of comments because even the comments screen is hard to use. I do hope you can switch back quickly because this is plain 'orrible.

Silver badge

Re: Oh boy

Holy crap, there's an article about the makeover? Hadn't even got that far down the front page before I headed for the forums to bitch about the new layout.

The homepage is unreadable for me, I spend a good proportion of my day looking at console's (black background, white text), such an extreme wash of white is really fecking uncomfortable.

If it hangs about, I'm going to have to get my news and my kicks elsewhere because I don't think I'll be able to read more than one article before I get a headache, certainly won't be able to keep my OCD happy by reading 'n' pages of comments afterwards.

Silver badge

Re: Oh boy

And now I realise I've commented on the article.... came in through the forums :)

One other observation - might just be me, but the image on this story - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/12/11/ripa_legislative_overhaul_experts/ looks like it's been overstretched to fit the space, which makes it even less useful than it was before.

my eyes you idiots my eyes

Too bright you fools too bright . Do you not realise we spend more hours than you in front of screens regardless of if we are working or merely pretending too . Too much white = bad . Tone it down . I am not saying beige lord help us but not so much of the I'm going to rip out your retinas white .

The problem: pictures are not big enough

Also there's not enough free space either side of the content.

Anonymous Coward

BUG REPORT.......

....ITS SHIT!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018