back to article Vote now for your fave sci-fi movie quote

It's Friday, so what better way to waste a bit of the firm's time before beer o'clock than by participating in our fun-for-all-the-family top sci-fi movie quote poll? Our 42* prime cuts were lovingly selected by various members of Register staff, and are presented in no particular order for your reading pleasure. Please note …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Dan

I'll be back

I dunno, there is just something about a tall austrian robot killing machine being litteral that just makes me laugh.

and as for event horizon, there shoulda been one, i mean, c'mon:

"Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see."

and

"Do you see?"

"yes, i see"

(Anyone else bother to freeze frame here and step it to see the images? Man some of those are messed up.)

Guy
Alien

Is this a record?

I'm curious, have we now set a new record for the number of comments on a single story?

Coat

No. We have jobs to do. JOBS.

Well, we had before we spent half the day reading these comments

All outta bubblegum...

"I came here... to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum..."

- Roddy Piper, They Live (John Carpenter, 1988)

Nev
Silver badge
Coat

Surprise surprise

Well, you could have chosen ANY random line from "BladeRunner" and thousands would flocked to it all shouting "It's the bestest sci-fi film ever made, ever!" even though it isn't and they didn't understand what it was all about.

Meh!

Mines the brown trenchcoat.

Alien

what of sleeper?

Does anyone remember this classic Woody Allen film?

*AHEM*

Luna: What's it feel like to be dead for 200 years?

Miles: Like spending a weekend in Beverly Hills.

Luna: It's hard to believe that you haven't had sex for 200 years.

Miles: 204 if you count my marriage.

Miles regarding his robotic dog "scraps": Is he housebroken, or is he going to leave batteries all over the floor?

One could go on....

another one from "Duck Dodgers in the 21st century"

Porky: "Eager young Space Cadet reporting for duty, Sir!"

Coat

Spoken like a true IT Project manager

Scotty, I need warp speed in three minutes or we're all dead....

Thumb Up

I use this one ALL the time...

Sam Jackson in Jurassic Park:

"Hold onto your butts!"

Thumb Up

I am not just a *diehard*

No, the very best was ...

"I'll bet any quantum mechanic

would give his life...

for a chance to fool around

with this gadget."

- Forbidden Planet

Paris Hilton

Where is...

I want your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle (The Terminator)?

Paris, she looks as confused as I feel.

Alien

That reminds me

"I love the marine core. Every meal is a banquet, every paycheck a fortune!" (Aliens)

Thumb Up

Something else...

Voted for Blade Runner, but my real fav is:

"Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately 3,720 to 1." C-3PO (to Han Solo)

Incl. non-movie quotes, my favourite sci-fi quote is this one:

"One of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them. to summarize: it is a well known fact, that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. to summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. to summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem."

Who else but Douglas Adams (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe) RIP.

Nothing sci-fi about it other than coming from a sci-fi book, but brilliant nevertheless.

Silver badge
Go

Left out these ones

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"--Darth Vader "Star Wars"

"He's a scoundrel--you'd like him"--Han Solo "Empire Strikes Back"

"For your sake I hope so--the Emperor is not as forgiving as I am" Darth Vader "Return of the Jedi"

"The reward would be, well, more than you can imagine!" "I don't know, I can imagine a lot" Luke Skywalker and Han Solo "Star Wars"

"Computer...oh computer!" Scotty talking into a mouse in the Star Trek movie with the whales

Paris Hilton

Couple more more from Wrath of Khan

Perhaps the most momentous and emotionally charged scene in Star Trek movies, Spock's death scene in Engineering after he's saved the ship.

Spock: Don't grieve, Admiral. It is logical. The needs of the many outweigh...

Kirk: ...the needs of the few.

Spock: ...Or the one. I never took the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

Kirk: Spock...

Spock: I have been and always shall be your friend.

[Holds up his hand in the Vulcan salute]

Spock: Live long and prosper.

Paris - because we all want to see her in one of those 60's ultra-micro-mini-dress Trek uniforms.

This post has been deleted by its author

Douglas Adams (again!) plus a little question about Dark Star

Ford Prefect: "We'll use the teleporter. It feels a bit like being drunk."

Arthur Dent: "But I quite like being drunk."

Ford Prefect: "Try telling that to a glass of water!"

Question: Are you sure the Dark Star quote is right? That isn't how I remember the argument between the lieutenant and the bomb.

Silver badge
Linux

So many other movies ...

Granted I'd love to see things from the TV series like Red Dwarf or even classic Dr. Who or Start Trek.

I mean c'mon, you could make up an entire trivia game based on quotes from Sci Fi movies. ...

And the penguin? Why cause this is a nerd/geek survey! :-P

Coat

Almost there, almost there....

almost there....

Alert

Back to the Future

I also voted for Doc Brown, yet it still shows only 2 votes. I think I'm the 4th person to comment that they've voted for that one.

how could you miss these

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

Yoda: No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

War Games:

Joshua: Shall we play a game?

and

Joshua: A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?

me
Thumb Up

Arnie rules

"Dylan, you Sonofabitch! Whats da matter, da CIA got you pusshin tooo meny penzils?"

Jon
IT Angle

The most used in IT capacity

Has to be 'nuke the site from orbit'.... Now if only you could do that to users.....

Gold badge

Supernova.

Terrible film, one great quote (apologies - this is from a patchy memory):

"You've been in *worse* situations than this?"

"Twenty minutes ago? When we were tumbling out of control with no drive, venting fuel and about to crash onto the surface? That was worse."

Paris Hilton

Aliens full of quotes

Could use the whole middle section of the movie with the marines

All time favorite :- Marine Drill Sargent Apone

Marines just woken up from hyper sleep or just a bad night on the beer: Apone chews on a big Cigar

Apone: All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the corps! A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the corps!

-----------------------------------------

Apone: Allright, sweethearts, you heard the man and you know the drill! Assholes and elbows!

-----------------------------------------

Hudson: Let's just bug out and call it even, OK? What are we talking about this for?

Ripley: I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Hudson: Fuckin' A...

Burke: Ho-ho-hold on, hold on one second. This installation has a substantial dollar value attached to it.

Ripley: They can *bill* me.

"I Must Not Fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the small death that brings total oblivion"

Dune. (Earthworm Jim).

Jeez, you guys suck!

I can't believe you don't have *any* of R2-D2's lines quoted.

Aliens

Hicks: This little girl survived for weeks without proper training...

Hudson: Why don't you put her in charge?

Ace film.

Dead Vulture

You have 42 options...

...and none of them is from HHGTTG? You're criminals, that's what you are. Bad though the film might have been, it still contained some of the classics. Clearly there's no excuse for not including:

"Life? Don't talk to me about life."

"Resistance is useless."

or even:

"'Oh dear,' says God, 'I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanished in a puff of logic."

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

Agreed on Serenity

"Attention please, this is the captain speaking. We are having some problems with our landing codes and so we may experience some turbulence and then explode."

Dead Vulture

@B<<<2TF

I also voted for Back to the Future, and yes, there were 2 votes before me....Whats going on here? Clearly the overwhelming number of votes has crashed the system...

Wow, so few comments on 2001...

but it got a lot of votes anyway!

I tied between Bladerunner (cause I re-watched it two days ago) and 2001, just because they are both so classic. 2001 just seemed to have more menace, more atmosphere, because of what it portended. But Batty's monologue was a better acted part, so it depends upon if you want to applaud the director or the actor. Given their careers, Kubrick has to beat Hauer as the tie-breaker.

But Rockhound's quote is far funnier, and a few Ripley and Hudson quotes get used far more often!

But - what, no Clockwork Orange quotes to even choose from???

"I've been out, helping people like..." - Alex

Anonymous Coward

Litany against Fear

I don't know if they actually had it in the Lynch thing...

I must not fear

Fear is the Mind Killer

Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration

I will face my fear.

I will permit it to pass through me and over me

And when the fear has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path

Where the fear has gone ther will be nothing

And only I will remain

Ooooh. Shivers.

Unhappy

Escape from New York

I thought you were dead?

Anonymous Coward

Somebody mention Red Dwarf?

...and not go for:

"Why don't we raise the shields?"

"Two reasons sir. First, we haven't got any shields and second, we haven't got any shields! I realise that may sound like one reason, but it seemed like such an important one that I thought it was worth mentioning twice."

Ok, TV I know, but I didn't start this....

Alien

Spaced Invaders

Not a favourite, or even that good - but *nobody else* has claimed it so far...

"there goes my insurance!" by the Jack Nicholson alien in Spaced Invaders as he gets caught flying past a cop radar trap in his little spaceship. Just about every video I rented for about 5 years had that movie trailer in it, and it kinda stuck (ie when I break something and the tickets start flooding in...)

Thumb Up

Dusk Till Dawn

"Psycho`s! ...Psycho`s do not explode when sunlight hits them, i don`t give a f*ck how crazy they are!" - Seth Gecko (George Clooney)

Genius!

Paris Hilton

Army of Darkness woes...

This is my BOOM STICK!

Shop smart. Shop S Mart.

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.

Terminator additions...

"Anything else?"

"Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range."

"Hey, just what you see here, buddy."

voted for "The Thing" quote...

Heart

@Anton Ivanov

So true...no B5.

"Trust Ivanova, Trust Yourself. Anyone Else? Shoot 'em!"

So much love there for Susan.

forgot what this one is from

In the beginning there was nothing , and even that exploded...

I'm from a different planet. Wanna see my spaceship ?

Here i am , brain the size of a planet , and they ask me to go fetch prisoners.

It'll all end in tears.

Number one, i order you to go make a number two. ( Beavis and butthead in the star trek dream episode... )

Fire futon torpedos , blast the retrorockets and make us like .. uh .. go that way ( als B&B )

Elvis isn't dead , he just went home. ( MIB )

My sixt grade teacher must have been from venus or something. Actually she was from jupiter kid. ( MIB )

Cheating?

"Chirp - tweedle -chirrup - twit"

Mad magazine's version of Star Wars

(translated: "with all my troubles now I'm saddled with a gay robot")

As I'm not conversant in 'droid I don't know if its accurate version of the original or not.

Alien

Don't forget a newer classic...

" I bought a car....

Turned out to be an alien robot.

Who knew?"

Stop

Must... stop... entering... quotes...

From Aliens:

"They mostly come at nights... mostly"

"Leave her alone - you bitch!"

From Terminator:

"You're terminated, Fucker!"

"Neeed Inpuuuut" - Number 5 (Is alive!)

"To Infinity - And Beyond!" - Toy Story (Okay, not strictly a SciFi film, but Buzz Lightyear was a spaceman

Stop sign as a reminder to self to stop putting quotes in...

And I cannot believe no-one mentioned "EXTERMINATE. EXTERMINATE!" (The Daleks from Dr Who for anything who has never existed)

"Daisy, daisy give meee yooour answwwer dooooooooo" - 2001

"The pointy birds go pointy pointy, anoint my head, anointy nointy" - The Man With Two Brains (yes, it is SciFi - it's just got comedy too!)

Coat

5 more comments?

Just because this article deserves 300 comments (currently at 295 at writing.)

And, because of my fond childhood memories and decades of moves; Godzilla deserves an honorable mention in these comments.

Of course I can't think of a single memorable quote -- DRAT.

Of course if I could think of a memorable quote who knows if it was an actual quote or a cheese English translation. -- Double DRAT.

All right. Lets just say Godzilla's roar should be the memorable quote.

(The guy in the icon is getting into his Godzilla suit.)

fantstic

thanks for the pants ,err memories

next friday we can do tv

PLEASE

Paris Hilton

Worst Sci Fi quotes...

Next week can we have a poll of the Worst Sci-Fi Quotes? For example:

''The core of the Earth has stopped spinning" from the Core....

Actually, you could just put a transcript of The Core and that could be all of the entries, I felt like I need counselling after that stupid bloody film, two hours of my like wasted that I will never get back.

I should have left at the point that they land the bloody space shuttle in the drainage system in LA, but I was thinking, it cannot get any worse, oh but it did, it excelled itself, it set new heights of stupidity, Unobtainium, oh how I laughed around the aisles of the cinema at that one.....

Rant over, maybe I do need couselling......

Paris, because she was a bright, celebate young woman until she saw that film and it destroyed her life...

Mad Max 2 Classic

" I've never seen a man beat a snake before "

Gyrocopter pilot to Max after Max had foiled his ambush.

Flame

The Core, continued....

And the other thing, Hillary Swank has two oscars, admittedly she only had one before she made the Core, what agent in their right mind suggested that film would be a good move? She should have been disqualified for the Million Dollar Baby Oscar for crimes against cinematography...

End of Rant - for now...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018