back to article Shocker: UK smart meter rollout is crap, late and £500m over budget

Parliamentarians are set to haul civil servants in for a grilling after the National Audit Office (NAO) confirmed the UK will miss its 2020 smart meter rollout target, piling an extra £500m onto the cost of the £11bn project. The NAO said in a report issued this morning: “The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial …

Page:

1. Spazturtle Silver badge

Re: I have one from scottish power.

No that is the in house display, you can throw that away if you want, all the radio equipment is in the actual meter.

1. Andy Non Silver badge

Reluctantly may have to get a smart meter.

The house we recently moved in to has old style gas and electric meters in the corner of the kitchen at the back of an L shaped cupboard. I need to get on my hands and knees and climb part way into the cupboard with a torch and twist my neck uncomfortably upwards to get the meter readings. Our supplier requires me to do this every month. I'm too old for such contortions. Only thing is, I can see a smart meter fitter taking one look at where the existing meters are and saying "no chance pal". Plus we will likely change supplier at some point, and if the meter no longer works after that it is just a complete waste of time and money anyway.

As for smart meters saving us any money, it is extremely unlikely as we are already very careful with energy consumption and take the view that in Winter we expect to wear suitably warm clothing indoors and not crank up the heating while wearing summer attire.

So can't make up my mind whether to have a smart meter fitted or not.

1. Gerry 3
      Boffin

Re: Reluctantly may have to get a smart meter.

Use a camera with a selfie stick instead.

2. John Robson Silver badge

Camera on a stick, or stick a RasPi down there...

Probably more power efficient (even with a camera) than a smart meter...

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        FAIL

What's wrong with a good old fashioned mirror on the wall and a torch?

1. Andy Non Silver badge

Nice ideas with the mirror and camera, but I need to repeatedly push the button on the electricity meter to cycle through the display to get both the daytime and night readings. Unfortunately that means being on my hands and knees in the cupboard.

1. Stoneshop

Nice ideas with the mirror and camera, but I need to repeatedly push the button on the electricity meter to cycle through the display to get both the daytime and night readings.

A Raspberry Pi can easily control a servo or solenoid positioned to push that button for you, as well as run the cam. And you only need to power it up the moment you actually need to read the meter.

1. David 132 Silver badge
              Thumb Up

Stoneshop A Raspberry Pi can easily control a servo or solenoid positioned to push that button for you, as well as run the cam. And you only need to power it up the moment you actually need to read the meter.

That's an excellent suggestion, but I can't help feeling that we're heading into Wallace & Gromit territory here. Something like this.

3. Adrian 4

For once, the americans did it right.

They have standardised meter sockets. Change supplier ? Take out old meter, plug in new one. No longer paying ? Supplier removes meter, power goes off.

Sure, it's not foolproof, but it makes our meter scheme look, if not an outright lie, pretty stupid.

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Plus we will likely change supplier at some point, and if the meter no longer works after that it is just a complete waste of time and money anyway."

The newer SMETS2 meters are supposed to be supplier agnostic so if you do decide to change I would suggest writing to them on old fashioned paper and communicating by old fashion Royal Mail and then specifying a SMETS2 meter or no deal. They are eager to meet their targets to avoid fines, so may well oblige. And if they turn up with the wrong meter, you can easily refuse it. (and if they phone you about it, point out you wrote to them and expect a reply in writing for legal reasons (unspecified, naturally :-))

5. Dwarf

This is not difficult to fix.

Option 1. Get a mirror, mount it so it can give you the picture you need from a more comfortable place

Option 2. Tell the provider that if they want a reading, they can come and read it any time they give you 48 hours notice so you can say if you are available or not.

Option 3. Move the meter to somewhere more convenient

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Move the meter to somewhere more convenient"

Several years ago I paid British Gas to move the gas meter from inside the garage to a box on the outside wall. That worked well for many years.

Then I had a phone call from said company taking me to task for not submitting manual readings. Apparently they had changed their meter reading to the legal minimum of once every two years. I pointed out that if they had sent a periodic automated phone call or email like the electricity supplier then I would have obliged. I think they now send such a phone call about once a year.

2. Rich 2 Silver badge
    WTF?

Germany

Am I correct in reading (probably on El Reg) some time ago that Germany had abandoned its smart meter roll-out because it was a waste of money?

And if that's so, how does that tally with it being an EU directive?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Germany

Rich 2, you have obviously had your head in the sand - Germany and France are very keen on every member of the EU following EVERY diktat issued from Brussels - except themselves.

Have you never wondered why everybody else's economies are going down quicker than the number of Tories who /haven't/ been Brexit Secretary while the French and the Germans seem to be able to weather any storm that comes along? Maybe ask the Greeks how much they like having an unelected bunch of Brussels-based Eurocrats controlling their economy, or the Italians how they feel about their recently-elected government - elected largely on the basis of their fiscal promises - being told to go away and come back with a budget that matches what Brussels wants.

And now Macron and Merkel want a "European" Army? Not that this is really new - if the remoaners hadn't lost the Brexit referendum, that nice Mr Junker was supposed to start a tour of the EU requisitioning... sorry, /requesting/ people and hardware to form the core of... a central European Army. It's a matter of public record - but they don't want the public aware of it. I wonder why?

1. OwenMc64

Re Germany's actions on smart meters, a quick search on t'web found this 2 year old summary:

https://www.navigantresearch.com/news-and-views/unraveling-germanys-smart-meter-strategy

Which follows on from a new law that got passed in 04/2016:

https://www.twobirds.com/en/news/articles/2016/germany/july/germany-launches-smart-metering-roll-out

Quote: " Contrary to other areas of energy policy, such as renewable energy, the German government has been wary of the costs associated with this task.", which I have to say sounds like a prudent view.

From the EU directive:

-------------------

2. Member States shall ensure the implementation of intelligent metering systems that shall assist the active participation of consumers in the electricity supply market. The implementation of those metering systems may be subject to an economic assessment of all the long-term costs and benefits to the market and the individual consumer or which form of intelligent metering is economically reasonable and cost-effective and which timeframe is feasible for their distribution.

Such assessment shall take place by 3 September 2012.

Subject to that assessment, Member States or any competent authority they designate shall prepare a timetable with a target of up to 10 years for the implementation of intelligent metering systems.

Where roll-out of smart meters is assessed positively, at least 80 % of consumers shall be equipped with intelligent metering systems by 2020.

The Member States, or any competent authority they designate, shall ensure the interoperability of those metering systems to be implemented within their territories and shall have due regard to the use of appropriate standards and best practice and the importance of the development of the internal market in electricity.

-------------------

Reading the first article, I'd say the German view just echoes that of many of the previous contributors here: "Not worth it, freund", so they targetted it at the higher users.

2. Adrian 4

What's wrong with a European army ?

We've spent the last few hundred years fighting pointless wars with the rest of europe, and are doubtless about to start again soon. What better way to avoid fighting than being part of the same army ?

1. Paul Shirley

Seems like a reasonable response to the orange baboons recent threats.

3. adam payne

Smart meters are meter readers nothing more.

We've already seen how unsecure they are and how they get turned into a glorified brick when you change energy supplier.

What is the point in spending such a huge amount of taxpayers money for something that clearly doesn't work!?!

The thing that really gets on my nerves is that the best tariffs are already smart meter only.

I do not want a smart meter and i'm not going to be forced into having one.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Forced to have a smart Meter !!!??? ...... Where is that ?

I don't know where you are forced to have a Smart Meter !!!

Where I live I cannot get one if I ask !!!

That is with 3 different Suppliers, not to mention I am in a mobile 'not spot' where the signal is variable and inside the house is pot luck getting a connection. (apparently this is not a problem which is somewhat a surprise as this is the way the Smart Meters are supposed to deliver their data back to the 'Mothership'.)

I was told 'Yes' then the bods who came to do the job said 'No' !!! [1st Supplier]

The other suppliers simply say 'Not in your area ..... yet !!!' (3 years later still the same !!!)

I cannot understand why the idea has been so badly implemented, different meters and standards that means swapping supplier requires a meter change, often from Smart back to 'Dumb' meter !!!

Is it too hard to define a standard Smart Meter that *ALL* the Suppliers can use ???

Yet another example of an idea half thought through then millions of pounds thrown at it to solve a problem badly and of course late as per usual for virtually every nationwide project.

4. Gordon861

Reduction in Customer Bills or Cost to Suppliers Collecting Data

If this is really supposed to reduce the money that the public are paying in their bills by encouraging people to turn things off, just buy every household something like the basic OWL meter and job done. You might need someone to install them in the houses of little old ladies but this could be done during a yearly visit.

But I suspect that the real reason this is being supported is that the suppliers will be able to get readings a lot cheaper and if they do need to disconnect you they can probably do it remotely.

Appx 27mil homes in UK, basic OWL meter £35 (probably cheaper if you need a few million of them)

So total cost £945,000,000 or less than 10% of the budget for the Smart Meters

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Reduction in Customer Bills or Cost to Suppliers Collecting Data

"buy every household something like the basic OWL meter and job done"

Had one for five years or more, it does what it does and it is what it is, simple, low-cost, effective.

But it is simple, low-cost, and effective precisely because it has no remotely addressable off switch.

Oh, and because there's no reason to involve Crapita.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Smartmeters installed a month ago...

Gas - working fine apparently, looking at my account it seems to be reporting daily.

Leccy - nothing. Not a single reading submitted since it was installed.

The little in house display gadget is working fine for both too - turn on the microwave and watch it go :)

Guess the meter readers are going to still be in a job for a while yet then.

6. Adelio

Saving me money

Well, having had a smart meter for a few years Now (eon) that no longer work since I switched away.

How EXACTLY am I supposed to "save" any money.

Never did look at the display even when it worked.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Smart meters are meter readers nothing more."

I wish you were right, but you're not.

The nationally important (and highest cost, to build and to install) part of what the industry laughably still tries to call a "smart meter" is the remotely addressable off switch, whose purpose is electricity demand management.

For real(ish) time electricity metering, you don't need an expensive off switch, you don't need an expensive/intrusive installation visit, you just need something like a domestic equivalent of a clamp-on ammeter and some electronics. These wouldn't need any real rewiring at all and can be bought retail for maybe £40 per unit.

But the clamp-on ammeter equivalents don't provide the capability to switch off the domestic supply, and are therefore no real help when there is a real need for large scale demand management at short notice, on a remotely controlled and *selective* basis.

Here's BigClive's 15minute look at what's inside a recent(ish) UK Smart 'Meter'. See if you can avoid spotting the remotely addressable off switch - most of the commentards here so far don't seem to have realised that's what Smart 'Meters' are actually about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G32NYQpvy8Q

(I'm told that if you're an Ovo customer you may recognise this meter as a Liberty 100, or maybe its bigger brother, the Liberty 110).

8. NinjasFTW

Capita gets a big piece too

Don't forget that to make the SMETS2 meters only work because all the data is centralised at Data Communications Company (DDC) which is owned by Capita.

Why would anyone trust their information to it if they didn't have to?!?!?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Capita gets a big piece too

Actually it's a very nice cash cow for all the major IT suppliers that didn't win the bid (or didn't bung the right Lord the right "campaign contribution").

Let see..... you have:

Capita - Squeezing every bit of the SDCC company to maximise profit and rebuff any attempt at delivering anything decent IT wise. Ask any member of current or former employ and you will find they suffer from poor IT. systems from Capita.

SDCC - essentially a contract management piece with a fair amount of testing capacity. Wants to be more than just a Capita rebrand and is hoping against hope that Capita and BEIS will let them act in accordance with the licence, at least in spirit.

CGI - Is there anything these guys deliver that is any better than Capita? essentially lost out to Capita as Capita decided to loss lead then subcontract the dev/test/sit/UAT etc subsystems out.

Telefonica - another also ran for other gov projects (such as a major police force). Given the contract to deliver an APN essentially to work the customer end data.

Arquiva - yet another also ran using legacy tech to reach the arse end of nowhere.

BEIS - a quango built from self interested parties from the big 6.

What could possibly go wrong?

9. IsJustabloke
    Facepalm

Just keep the meter and give me 18 quid....

There is literally no incentive for me to have one of these things attached to my house. I use the energy I use because I need to use it. I know how much it costs me, I pay the fucking bill!

10. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

give it

a couple more years and there'll be plenty of tales of

"The smart meter said I used 100 quids of electrickery, the supplier adjusted the direct debit to match, the bank rejected the debit as there was only £50 in the account, therefore the supplier automatically switched off the power..... all this took less than 3 seconds and we're left sitting in the dark"

Thats the real reason for smart meters, because at the moment you have to do expensive things such as going to court for a warrent and getting people in to cut off the power for non payment....

11. swampdog

Missing smart meter tech

The one bit they did miss was the ability for a smart meter to pull power from the cheapest provider at any given time. That would have sold it to the public..

Q: "Who do I sign up with?"

A: "Doesn't matter mate. The meter will go find the cheapest itself"

Q: How do I pay the bill?"

A: "Doesn't matter mate. You'll only owe the minimum rate possible. Let the providers sort it out. It's a bloody smart meter after all innit?"

..he thinks to himself as he exits cloud-cuckoo land with a thwack.

[note] Never feed a stray thwack. They make terrible pets.

12. Bloodbeastterror

"for you and I" FFS!

I'd like to read this article to reinforce my prejudice, but I can't get past the sub-headline.

For god's sake, is it too much to ask that a professional writer has at least a minimal understanding of grammar? "for you and I"...? Really?

This is the result of a failed desire to be seen as educated - emulating Queen-speak. Unfortunately the Queen does have a proper education and would never make this gross error.

"My husband and I went to the beach. The crowds saw my husband and I on the beach."

I think not. The simple test is to remove the other party, in which case the second sentence above would become "The crowds saw I on the beach." The Queen is not a Rastafarian, and I doubt that the writer is, so the sub-headline is garbage. As is the English of the author.

Rant mode off...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "for you and I" FFS!

Adapt to change or be trampled by it. You can't stop it.

13. WhatAboutBob

Twice I've been scheduled to get a smart meter fitted. Both times no-one showed up. Not surprised the rollout is so far behind schedule.

14. Lee D Silver badge

Sack Siemens.

New flat, new supplier, they offer to change Pre Pay meter to "smart" meter.

I went with it as I wanted a day off anyway, and they offered me credit against my electric for doing so (plus, I could top-up from my phone rather than having to mess about with keys).

They asked all kinds of details about the meter (it's YOUR meter... you check it regularly because I get the emails every few months... why do you not know?!). Including whether I had storage heaters (Yes) or dual-rate meter (Yes).

Woman from Siemens turned up on my day off. Saw the storage heaters. Said "I've not got the right meter". Disappeared never to be seen again. A year on, no follow-up. But I still keep getting the same spam email about "Would I like a smart meter?"

Sure, compensate me for a lost day off, plus the other day to actually do the job this time, and I'll think about it.

15. trev101

I've refused to install a smart meter numerous times and glad I did. The benefits looked good but when I realised I am giving power away and knowing how remote connected devices can be hacked I refused to believe in the official message. I have also stopped many others in installing them.

16. trev101

Smart meter benefits are for the provider gaining remote control of power to your house.

17. steelpillow Silver badge
    Mushroom

Cost to the consumer

With the cost of minor updates being passed on to the consumer, how much are these f*cking things going to cost us once their pwnage gets so obvious even the industry has to admit it, and security fixes start coming through - at cost plus? And how blindingly in-your-face-and-out-your-*rse is exploitation at scale going to have to get before that happens?

Amber Rudderless will get a peerage for this, no doubt.

18. BRYN

I have a newbuild shoebox. My smart meters where installed when the house was built. No electric or gas company will sign me up to a smart tariff without replacing the smart meters with there own smart meters. The irony is the smart meters they want to fit are the same makes/models of what is already installed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Free cash.

Budget for fitting meters = almost unlimited = "Sorry Sir, you must need a new meter". ;)

19. N2

Before I read the article...

The first thing that entered my head was only Crapita is capable of such biblical incompetence?

1. Nick Kew

Re: Before I read the article...

You give them too much credit.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Smart meters different uses different markets

Different markets (or grids, power system operators) have different reasons for installing Smart Meters (SM). Different markets use different advertising pitches.

If the customers in one market are going to believe a saving power pitch the SM will be sold as a power saving device.

If the customers want the system to be more stable then it will be marketed as helping with that.

If the customers will accept the costs to lower CO2 emissions, it will be marketed as doing so.

When we as end consumers from around the world talk about SM those different sales pitches can be seen in the comments.

So I'll ask to consider why are sales pitches needed?A; Because these devices were never wanted or needed by the end user of electricity. If they were not forced by legislation it would remain a niche market, might not even be allowed in some markets.

What lead to you having a SM I do not know but I saw a bit of how it happened in one market.

The Utility, the power company, noticed the over the decades power consumption of household was increasing, obvious as the size of the services for each home were increasing. In itself that is a very good thing, standard of living and energy use is directly related, and it meant more money for the power companies.

But in the 80's and 90's another change was the increased use of VARS and production of Harmonics from households that previously were almost 100% resistive loads.

That added costs, none of which the end user could be made to understand and if most users did understand would cause problems for the Power suppliers and the industry. The main reason for grids to exist is to power industry, they are the largest users, they have the most money and influence.

Those big users use their big consumption and big money to get the best deal for them. When it comes to individual consumers, they have to look to politicians and regulators for protection, and the 20th century shows how well that model has worked for us.

Combined, individual consumers are a huge part of the grid, the largest by miles of conductors and connections so when that load began to change power companies started looking at what can be done to pass on extra hard to explain costs.

And they were trying to do that when our economy was shrinking, real wages falling, no one wanted to spend money on infrastructure, and of course the less people know about how we finance electrical infrastructure the better.

At roughly the same time other parts of the industry had issues to address. Billing is always looking for angles to generate more profit and they came up with great ideas, like connection fees, transmission fees, particularly effective and needed in deregulated markets. When billing first heard about SM they knew right away it was for them.

Special interest groups (many more of those involved than people know) saw that SM meant more information, more control for them and that means more money and political power for them. Lots of early promoters of SM there.

Politicians love taxes! Taxes are the governments food and there can never be enough. When SM were offered as a "solution" to electrical grid issues governments the "potential" for tax revenue seem only limited by the "resistance" of the goose to being plucked (to mix mets). Making it even more attractive was the suggestion that soon people would have electric cars.

So there was no one reason for SM showing up in residences around the world, there were many.

Having an idea with wide spread support among everyone but end users helps explain why there are so many myths and variations surrounding their use. We are being fed whatever line works on us.

Rest assured SM were never introduced to help customers. They will not save you money, BTW it isn't about saving power or electricity, nothing ever is. It is only ever about saving money, making money, not spending money. As some in the industry like to remind co-workers, we are not in the electrical business, we are in the money business.

That is another thing the industry does not want people to consider. It isn't about electricity or carbon or whatever people think, it is only about money. The industry and it's actions gets easier to understand when it is looked at as a money generating machine.

Electricity is in many ways just a distraction. Like wanting people to look at the per kWh charge on the bill rather than calculate the per kWh delivered. Notice you have to calculate that yourself, yet that and the money due, is the only numbers you really care about.

It is the foundation of our society, it's growth has allowed our growth, energy is everything and the industries supplying it are some of the most sophisticated we have. And that sophistication isn't just at the engineering end of the business.

21. Spanners Silver badge
    WTF?

I still don't see...

It is not immediately obvious how they are supposed to save me money

Having moved recently, I already have nice new fridge, cooker, dishwasher, TV etc. The place was reinsulated and, being health and over 50, I am not an overenthusiastic user of central heating.

How does having a little wifi gizmo and the ability to put the app on any phone or tablet make me use less electricity? I have had the occasional letter telling me what % of my bill is made by different things. This is interesting but does not affect the fact that unless I turn them off, that is how much power they use.

22. P0l0nium

Business Analyst Needed

My experience with Mpower and Arrow Energy (Names have been changed to protect the "innocent"):

Supplied by Mpower - They insist on fitting smartmeter.

Nice bloke from Lowri-Beck comes and installs new gas and Electric meters.

Smartmeter works well - nice !!

Fixed price tarrif ends, Mpower hikes bill - Change to Arrow Energy.

5 days after changeover Smartmeter loses tarrif information but still displays energy in KWH.

5 days after that smartmeter loses connection with meters and the becomes expensive useless POS.

When God invented the word "F*ckwit" he surely had this lot in mind .

23. Danny 2

I moved into a flat with a Pay As You Go gas and electricity meter, which charge far higher rates for the poor people who choose them than normal payment meters. I asked Scottish Power to swap to a regular meter but couldn't as they wanted to charge me £80 a meter They also charged a monthly service charge whether or not I used any energy. I'd been homeless so I never used the gas at all and used next to no electricity, just for a kettle, microwave, charging batteries, and lights I replaced with LEDs. The 'nominal' service charges were now my biggest expense, so I swapped to a provider that charged slightly more per unit but without any service charges.

I was then phoned by the new provider urging me to let them install a smart meter. I knew I'd get no benefit from it but also no real risk to me so I agreed just out of gratitude. I regretted that when I got the appointment letter stating if I wasn't in on the appointed date then they'd fine me £10,000 - totally illegal I know, but an unfriendly and intimidatory measure. I was tempted to miss the appointment out of spite but I went ahead just so I don't have to let them in ever again. I use the small display over the toilet so I can pee accurately in the middle of the night without turning on a light. - they should mention that use in their advertising.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This system is great!

If you will be needing to instigate rolling black-outs easily, in the near future.

25. mark l 2 Silver badge

I had a Smart Meter installed by Scottish Power I assume it must be a SMETS1 meter, since after moved to another provider and they told me that the meter could not be used on their service. So had to go back to giving meter readings every month.

Installing SMETS1 smart meters that only work with one provider is just a massive waste of money, as they will end up getting binned when they finally get replaced with SMETS2 meters.

26. The obvious

The biggest security risk...

is risk to my supply when some fat-fingered Herbert at my supplier (or possibly another supplier) disconnects my supply for no good reason (or when they fuck up the billing, which wouldn't be the first time that's happened.)

27. All names Taken
    Facepalm

Money laundering?

Maybe it is merely money laundering on a national scale?

28. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Joke

Get SMART

Did they employ Maxwell Smart?

Looks like a typical caper for him. And where was Agent 99 while all this KAOS was being inflected upon us?

29. Andy Livingstone

What is this nonsense all about?

According to the Gov.uk website right now;

"Smart meters put consumers in control of their energy use, allowing them to adopt ... will be no need for your energy supplier to visit your home to read your meter in future. ... But there is no legal obligation on you to have one."

Seems very clear, surely? So who says that UK homes need them?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon