back to article MY GOD, IT'S FULL OF CARS: SpaceX parks a Tesla in orbit (just don't mention the barge)

After years of setbacks, SpaceX today successfully launched its Falcon Heavy three-in-one rocket and delivered into orbit its cherry-red payload – Elon Musk's very own Tesla Roadster. After a morning of delays due to high winds, the mighty rocket lifted off from the Kennedy Space Center Launch Complex 39, in Florida, USA, at …

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
Joke

Julian Assange

missed a chance to stowaway on board and put himself beyond the reach of the long arm of the law

Silver badge

Re: Julian Assange

Dunno about you, but I couldn't see who was behind the visor.

TRT
Silver badge

Park the car at the exact point of gravitational balance between the Earth and the Moon?

Bronze badge

Noo! The Earth-Moon L1 & L2 points are more useful. So L1 as the location of a proper space station acting as a waystation between Earth and Moon. The kinda thing a 'cheap' heavy lift rocket could help build. Then have lunar robo-dozers feeding dust into a lunarcrete fab plant (or solar forge?) to make segments for a Mars ship. Kinda like the segments used to line the Crossrail and other tunnels. Lift a few loads of epoxy & bolts and assemble at the L1 waystation. Make a few of those and use'em as tube trains to Mars. Simple!.. Well, in my head anyway.. :)

Silver badge

"The exact point of gravitational balance between the Earth and the Moon" is not very useful actually, depending on how you define "gravitational balance". The spot where the Earth and the Moon pull on you equally in opposite directions is nowhere near stable actually - the spot where the difference between those two exactly balances out the effects of your orbital speed around Earth is the one you're looking for (and known as "L1", with others all the way to "L5" )

TRT
Silver badge

What does the 'L' in 'L1' & 'L2' stand for?

Gold badge

Lagrange (point)

TRT
Silver badge

So Assange at Lagrange.

It's not a joke if one has to explain it.

Silver badge
Windows

w/r/t Assange at Lagrange;

Please GOD no. If we're gonna bring Assange into this, lets put him on OCISLY. In the centre of the deck. For the next landing. Preferably wearing a silver painted jellied kerosene suit.

Silver badge

Park the car at the exact point of gravitational balance between the Earth and the Moon?

L1 and L2 are both meta-stable. Like balancing a marble on top of a needle. You can do it, but the slightest nudge...

L4 or L5 is a better bet. Both stable. Well, for small(ish) nudges.

OTOH, another (less precise) way of describing L1 and L1 is "unstable." So perhaps a perfect place for Assange.

Gold badge

SpaceX can't do it

If you send Assange to a Lagrange,

You gotita do it on a Soyuz,

So's he can take along his lawyers.

Silver badge
Coat

There's Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, starboard bow;

there's Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, Jim.

There's Assange on the starboard bow, starboard bow, starboard bow;

it's Assange at the Lagrange Point, Jim.

Silver badge

Re: SpaceX can't do it

If you send Assange to a Lagrange,

You gotita do it on a Soyuz,

So's he can take along his lawyers.

LOL, that reads like song lyrics.

TRT
Silver badge

Space Embassy.

Bronze badge

I dunno, "Assange at Lagrange" sounds more like a gig at the wrong end of the Vegas Strip.

TRT
Silver badge

Re: Park the car at a Lagrange point...

IF... he took along enough change for the parking meteor, of course.

Pint

No doubt Elon Musk decided it was time to trade in his no-longer-shiny red roadster....

Silver badge
Coat

Jeff Bezos

Some have speculated this is a foolproof way to dump a dead body. No further comment.

Anyone seen him recently?

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/960550111632875525

Silver badge
Alien

Car update

Apparently someone has already stolen the wheels....

Silver badge

Saw it from 3 miles away

I plopped for the "feel the heat" package for $230 which meant you got bussed to the Saturn V center, about 3 miles from the pad and 9 miles from the landing zones. We stopped on the way at the Shuttle Landing Facility to see the plaque where Atlantis rolled to a stop in 2011 at the end of the last Shuttle mission. That was unexpected. The 4.5km long 100m wide strip is a huge piece of tarmac.

Anyway, there were no winds locally, they were all high-altitude and you could see wisps of clouds skidding over. It was a beautiful perfect Florida day. Sunny, 78F and barely any clouds.

Bill Nye was there to stump for people to join The Planetary Society. He's actually got a nice sense of humor.

Most of us figured there was about a 30% chance it would launch, and we were wasting our time. People didn't think it would go "boom" but they also realized most "first" launches get scrubbed 2 or 3 times.

If you think the SpaceX people were cheering and yelling, they didn't have nuthin' on this crowd. When they announced fueling start, people went nuts. When they announced "go" for the launch at 3pm, people went nuts.

We got to hear the SpaceX webcast without the usual 10 second delay.

It was REALLY LOUD. AND BRIGHT. It was welding-torch bright. And yes, we were warned to stay away from the Saturn V center glass windows, which was a good idea as you could hear the entire building shaking at launch from 100 feet away. Of course you were shaking too. Megadeth & AC/DC only wish they could get a bass rumble that deep and loud.

You could see the boosters fall away, then they were two bright dots overhead for the re-entry burn, then they fell some more, and finally they did that synchronized science-fiction landing just to the left of the VAB, from where we were sitting. Just amazing. You couldn't script something that looked so much like a '50s sci-fi movie.

Just after they landed, there was the 4 sonic booms BAM-BAM, BAM-BAM, and then the rumble of the landing rockets, as the sound finally got to us.

Afterwards, we got a complementary champagne toast in a nice glass keepsake that says "Falcon Heavy Test Mission 2018", and a SpaceX Falcon Heavy hat, and a red "Falcon Heavy: I was there" t-shirt. So it was literally "been there, got the t-shirt"

Worth every nickle.

Silver badge
Pint

Re: Saw it from 3 miles away

Thanks for the eyewitness report, Gene.

This round's on me.

Bronze badge

A great day out, you were guaranteed an impressive launch or some fireworks. Would've been spectacular either way, in the end truly inspirational.

Anonymous Coward

What, no flamethrower?

thumbthing else

apparently, Musk confirmed that there's a towel in the glove box.

Silver badge

And, for the Brits...

I wonder what's happeining with our Skylon?

Silver badge

Re: And, for the Brits...

The Skylon, being a potentially very useful and cheap piece of space hardware, is starved of development funds whilst the tech is slow appropriated by Airbus.

Silver badge

Re: And, for the Brits...

Skylon? Isn't that a cemetery?

This is the result of some seriously impressive hardware and software engineering. You've got to take your hat off to them.

TRT
Silver badge

I can just imagine the scene now at control centre...

Well, that was a success.

Time to go home. I'll just get my key... oh.

Hey, guys! Anyone give me a lift home? Guys? Fellas?* Hey! Come on.... it's a long walk to the bus stop.

*In the entirely genderless sense of course.

I'm no petrol-head. But you gotta admire the man's style.

Besides, a toast: Confusion to the aliens!

TRT
Silver badge

The Mighty Zog...

Will be most pleased with the delivery of his new vehicle.

Silver badge
Trollface

I find it thoroughly amusing that in the case any aliens ever actually find and retrieve the puzzling object they found in orbit around the Sun (assuming no other knowledge of us down here), the real explanation of what it is and how and why it got up there will eternally stay relegated to "crackpot conspiracy theory" territory - no sane alien archaeologist will ever subscribe to "purely because we can and because it's cool, no practical purpose whatsoever"...

Silver badge

no sane alien archaeologist will ever subscribe to "purely because we can and because it's cool, no practical purpose whatsoever"...

Future archaeologist: "It's probably for religious purposes"

Silver badge

Humans are still Team "Hold my beer, I got this".

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: The Mighty Zog...

I sure am.

Silver badge

In addition to towel, HTHGTG etc etched on some of the PCBs is "created on earth by humans" (paraphrase, words to that effect at any rate) - Musk posted a pic of it that was picked up by some news outlets

TRT
Silver badge

Created by humans indeed...

Created by ROBOTS more like.

Silver badge

Waddayamean "Future archaeologist"?

To all intents and purposes the purpose is religious.

Pint

Wonder if the Tesla will outlast the Voyager probes? Like the thought of mans real message to the cosmos being 'Don't Panic'.

Silver badge

Wonder if the Tesla will outlast the Voyager probes?

The Voyagers are less likely to be hit by a stray lump of space rock. Also, any non-metal parts on the Tesla will degrade and crumble over time because they weren't designed with exposure to space-level radiation in mind.

It's quite likely though that a few hundred years on a metal hunk roughly the shape of a Tesla Roadster, with a desiccated human corpse with a few scraps of what used to be a space suit about it behind the wheel, will still be orbiting the Sun. At the same time the Voyagers will be hurtling towards AC+79 3888 and Ross 248 respectively, and probably more intact than that Roadster will be.

Silver badge

Re: Wonder if the Tesla will outlast the Voyager probes?

It'll probably disintegrate into a tenuous ring, maybe the Earth will pass through it someday and we can watch the Teslids!

TRT
Silver badge

Re: Wonder if the Tesla will outlast the Voyager probes?

With that elliptical heliocentric orbit, it's likely to unwind into a sort of a coil in space. A Tesla coil.

Anonymous Coward

Hey, Elon, did webuyanycar give you a bad quote or something?

Over emotional

Digesting my breakfast this morning in McDonalds, I read that Isaac Asimov's Foundation novels were on board the car and burst into tears.

Silver badge

Re: Over emotional

@madmalc,

Don't worry, eating McDonald's does that to me, too.

Silver badge
Coat

Re: Over emotional

Did you have the burger with guacamule?

TRT
Silver badge

Re: guacamule

Donkey?

Bronze badge
Happy

Universal Parking, Inc.

Great Sci-Fi story from Nature:

http://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-017-08969-w

Anonymous Coward

Re: Universal Parking, Inc.

harmjschoonhoven,

Thanks, loved the story .... nice punchline actually LOL'ed !!!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018