back to article No Windows 10, no Office 2019, says Microsoft

Microsoft has revealed that Office 2019’s desktop applications will only run on Windows 10 – and shortened support for the forthcoming release of the suite. In an update published on February 1st, the company revealed that the beta apps for the perpetual version of Office 2019 – as opposed to the subscription Office 365 - will …

Silver badge

If Orifice is that big a deal

Then why not just use Wine, install you Office of choice. And M$ Bob's your uncle.

And, look ma, no more formatting issues!

Silver badge

This is clearly a way of MS trying to sell more Window 10 upgrades as I doubt there is any technical reason why Office 2019 couldn't run on Windows 7. And i bet someone will work how out to do it when it eventually arrives.

As others have pointed out, other than the fact there are no support for the older Office versions there is usually little worth upgrading to a new version of Office for most users.

Anonymous Coward

I doubt there is any technical reason why Office 2019 couldn't run

The only thing I can't think about is high-DPI support. But it could still support previous version without it fully enabled. Looks more a decision to force upgrades. It may fire back.

Anonymous Coward

Office 2007 Pro (32-bit) runs flawlessly on my machine.

It's a corporate edition so no need for activation.

I have 'gone to the dark side' and have Windows 10 (64-bit) on my new machine. My copy of Office 2007, one decade old, still runs flawlessly.

You don't really need newer copies of Office, including Office 365 (which is the gold standard for the WaaS fantasies at Redmond). If you want to install an open source alternative and everything still works for you, go ahead and more power to you.

Not too long ago, Office was the final ransom Microsoft held over all PC users. Those days are largely over. Unless you need Microsoft's enterprise or software development solutions, you can have a fabulous IT life that is almost 100% Microsoft-free. Wean yourself off Skype and Linkedin (both became crappy after Microsoft's acquisition), and liberate yourself.

Silver badge

Re: Office 2007 Pro (32-bit) runs flawlessly on my machine.

Office 2007 does not comply fully even with the transitional specification of OOXML. Consequently there are problems with compatibility. I know because I've removed Excel 2007 specific shit from my library. Office 2010 is fully compatible and Office 2016 is very much a rewrite with bigger spreadsheets being much faster. So my advice would be to dump Office 2007. Whether you go with one of Microsoft's later offerings or the competition is another matter.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Office 2007 Pro (32-bit) runs flawlessly on my machine.

OOXML, is that the specification that MS pushed through by buying the votes of a huge number of members and as a spec. has never been fully documented, or is there another I'm thinking about?

Mushroom

Great...

...more forced Windows 10 installs.

Every action from Microsoft makes my hate for Microsoft, it's board, everyone running that organization, stronger and more pure.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Great...

It gets worse, my friend.

Some things will be made exclusive on the Microsoft app store. Some users will be baited into the trap.

For example, Diagnostic Data Viewer, 'available free on the Windows Store'. That means you need a Microsoft account.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/25/microsoft_windows_10_privacy/

Oh, and the venerable Age of Empires game, a Windows Store exclusive.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/350417-fans-outraged-age-empires-definitive-editions-windows-store-exclusivity

So desperate to grow the third (turd) ecosystem, SatNad's Microsoft resorts to underhanded ransomware tactics by using its in-house games.

Silver badge

Who fucking cares.

A word processor does just that.

A spread sheet program does spread sheets.

A Publisher program does just that.

And they will STILL do it in a hundred years time.

Just what "future innovations" are MS referring to??

Furthermore: " the message is that those on old versions of Windows are cutting themselves off from the future. ®"

Which MS shill paid you to stick that in? The future isn't as MScentric as they would like us to believe.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Who fucking cares.

They call me the king of the spreadsheets

Got 'em printed out on my bedsheets

My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks

But it was obsolete before I opened the box

You say you've had your desktop for over a week?

Throw that junk away, man, it's an antique

Your laptop is a month old? Well that's great

If you could use a nice, heavy paperweight

Silver badge

"Which MS shill paid you to stick that in? The future isn't as MScentric as they would like us to believe."

Tell that to the gamers.

Anonymous Coward

"Tell that to the gamers."

And the vast majority of enterprises and SMEs.

Windows + Office + Exchange + Skype is by far the best solution on the market in so many ways. Google Apps could have nailed them but Microsoft went and did it better. Now hardly anyone goes with Google even with vast discounts on offer. Ditto Google cloud. They are basically giving it away and still don't have many takers. AWS owns it for most in ecommerce and webscale, but in more traditional companies Azure now has more traction.

Will existing installs still work

We're pretty much stuck on Windows 7 at the moment for legacy kit but moved to office 365 when 2007 support for exchange 365 ended so the big question for me is whether existing installs of office 365 are going to stop working at this point or will they continue to limp along with no security updates until MS to decide to cut them off from their other services completely whenever that will be.

Open source would be great but we are dependant on a lot of Excel macros as well as other bits and pieces that we just can't move over.

Matt

Anonymous Coward

Re: Will existing installs still work

"Open source would be great but we are dependant on a lot of Excel macros as well as other bits and pieces that we just can't move over"

And add-ins. And integration. And performance. And scalability. And proper support. And an enterprise calendar solution. And a long list of other things. Freeware might work for certain users in some businesses but in general it's simply not enterprise grade.

Silver badge

No Windows 10, no Office 2019

I know Microsoft meant this to be a bad thing, but actually it is a blessing. Office peaked in 2003. Since then each version hasn't been as good. But it is like a roller coaster: it goes down a lot, then up a little but not as high where it started, then down a lot, then up a little but not as high as when it started, then down a lot, and repeat.

Office 2003 was great. Then 2007 introduced that accursed ribbon that Microsoft puts everywhere when it should be nowhere. 2010 was better than 2007 because you could customize that accursed ribbon. 2013 was much because the MENUS WHERE ALL CAPITAL LETTERS MAKING THEM HARD ON THE EYES, and Microsoft was full-on stupid (still is) with the dog-butt ugly UI. 2016 was better because it returned proper capitalization to menus, but now it requires your email address to even use it. I expect 2019 version to be absolute garbage. I still have a valid license for 2003 version, and I ain't giving it up.

Anonymous Coward

Re: No Windows 10, no Office 2019

"2016 was better because it returned proper capitalization to menus, but now it requires your email address to even use it."

No it doesn't. You can choose to use a license key and no email is required.

Silver badge

The last time I installed Office 2016 for someone (1 month ago), I used the license key and it made me create an Office account before it would activate.

Anonymous Coward

Yeah, that's why we have throw away accounts that can be disposed of afterwards.

Anonymous Coward

"The last time I installed Office 2016 for someone (1 month ago), I used the license key and it made me create an Office account before it would activate."

No such issues here. I have used both MSDN and MAK keys with Office 2016 and you can definitely activate it with no account.

Microsoft say thats still the case with Office 2019 too:

Office 2019 uses device-based licenses similar to previous major versions. Users will be able to sign in if they want to. However, they are not required to do this. Key Management Service (KMS) and Multiple Activation Keys (MAK) activation are available to volume license users for offline licensing. No internet connection is required to use the product.

Anonymous Coward

Dilberts use Linux and Mac, Pointy-haired Bosses like Windows.

Terminator

"Dilberts use Linux and Mac, Pointy-haired Bosses like Windows."

The solution is simple. Kill all the Pointy-haired Bosses.

Silver badge

What about office 365?

So what is actually going to happen with office 365 running on, say, windows 8.1? Will it just stop updating?

Assuming you have windows 10, will your office 2016 upgrade to office 2019? It's really unclear what Microsoft are doing, with so many different versions and ways of buying this product.

Anonymous Coward

I wonder if Ballmer still has his computer?

Anonymous Coward

>I wonder if Ballmer still has his computer?

When he was asked that question, his reply was "What's a computer ?"

Office 365 ONLY

The article doesn't seem to mention the other bit, Office 2019 is going to be Click-To-Run only, there will be no MSI install.

Microsoft pushing everyone towards the cloud. They have a very long way to go to convince this sysadmin that their cloud is anything like secure enough for me to recommend to my bosses.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Office 365 ONLY

The Cloud, why are people still using that phony term?

We started this ride decades ago on Network Terminals and guess where they wants back to?

No thank you, we have solutions to your threats of exclusion and malwares and we will use them.

Mind you the sheeple phone generation will follow through with this because not doing so would be hard.

Silver badge

>... this sysadmin that their cloud is anything like secure enough for me to recommend to my bosses<

Your bosses have already put your name on the list for the next round of right-sizing

Gold badge

"Microsoft pushing everyone towards the cloud."

Well if it comes free with an internet connection that can match my SSD for bandwidth and will run 24/7 for the lifetime of the product, sign me up!

The Future

"the message is that those on old versions of Windows are cutting themselves off from the future."

Much like those that didn't buy a ticket on the shiny modern state of the art Titanic.

Lesson: the future is not always better than the present, just more expensive and possibly more risky.

Must go, just off to install my new IoT home security system. I can control my door locks from this great app on my phone. So can my fridge. Don't know how I survived without it.

MJI
Silver badge

Office 2003 still runs well on

My 10 year old XP home PC.

Built it to last, before 7 was released.

Re: Office 2003 still runs well on

Office 97 runs very well on the only Windows machine I still have around, an XP.

I have long observed, and said, that Microsoft does not care about end users, or what they do with the software. They care about sales, and sales only. So their only focus point are their customers, which are not end users – for the most part, it's mid- to high-level corporate executives whose work does seldom revolve around MS Office.

Just read the press statement, and find one word in there that is relevant to you if actually need to use Office to do your work. You won't find one – it's all business/marketing/executive/pointy-haired-boss yada yada.

The problem is that Microsoft's attitude and lack of understanding of end user needs is terribly disruptive. It leads to 3rd-rate quality software (as an example, compare Word to Nisus Writer [alas, Mac only], which you could call 'Word-as-it-should-be'). I've heard a statistic lately that 15%-20% of office work time is wasted on the struggle of end users with software and related problems, and from my own experience I can attest that this time wasting was greatly reduced when I switched to a Mac (being in the fortunate profession where I could easily do it with no significant obstacles).

On top of that, it is not a stable business model for Microsoft themselves. I would call it suicidal or self-destructive, except that MS was successful in getting too big and dominant to simply die.

The announced business strategy does nothing to make things better for end users, and is likely to make things worse. I think MS knows that, too, but there's no way for them to get off the ship without taking a sizable economic hit.

I'm not sure how to react to that. Given MS dominance, I wish they would accept their responsibility and start making better software instead fo continuing of pushing their stuff no matter what. I don't hate them or wish them to die, but in the sake of my sanity, for myself I have decided a long time ago to get the fuck out (I still need to deal with those god-awful Office file formats, mostly .doc/.docx, but fortunately non-MS software is actually dealing rather well with it lately that I do not have to deal with the big bad wolf itself). Maybe if everyone who can should do it, too, to make MS and everyone who requires it wake up. But I don't actually see this happening. For the foreseeable future, we have to continue towards dystopia.

Though it doesn't come as a surprise. You could see those problems decades ago in Microsoft's attitude.

Anonymous Coward

If end users struggle in Word, Excel (in my experience) it's when they try to do things out of the ordinary.

eg ask a user to type a letter to someone and include an image on the page, or a spreadsheet to add a load of numbers they'll get something that works.

ask them to put the image in the header of the first page of the document but not subsequent pages and put page numbers and document date on the bottom of each page - they'll flounder for a while, or ask a colleague if they know how it's done.

By comparison I hardly ever hear users complaining that Word just ate their document which used to happen more in the old days.

Silver badge

Oh? Adobe seems to be doing just fine using the same strategy. And it makes business sense to stop the one-and-dones and go to the repeat business of Software as a Service. And they still control enough market share to dictate terms (because for every one user able to jump to an alternative there are probably nine who can't due to legacy stuff they can't change over or DIE orders from on high).

Anonymous Coward

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!

"Microsoft’s productivity innovations"

ergo

"Turn my semi private work PC into a "Hacked Phablet"".

Screw you updates, frig your online login to work locally.

Generally speaking F*ck off.

what pace of changing???

Same thing said by Adobe, etc...

Just recognize that office evolution is done and move on. The only thing missing is self writing powerpoint/word document I guess - it wouldn't be part of an office package I believe though, more like an OS feature. But I think that these electronic crutches have done their thing and now we're ready to do stuff without them. Back to analogue I say! At least for humans.

Anonymous Coward

MS 10 = Apple Profits

Would be surprised if there isn't a high correlation between the time when Apple became really "cool" and the time Windows 8 and Window 10 came out. Devastatingly bad UX design. I gave an iMac a try because of it. Don't care for Apple OS but MS makes it an easy choice.

Fine by me

Took me ages to learn Office 2010 as it is, and using Office 2016 for work is a right pain, especially if you haven't disabled the god awful hardware graphics 'acceleration' on a laptop that isnt exactly a powerhouse.

Silver badge
Windows

MSFT Baaaad!

It's been too long since El Reg gave us a 2-minute hate on MSFT.

How Convenient!

How convenient, then, that LibreOffice Version 7 has just been released.

Silver badge

Re: How Convenient!

Don't you mean 6?

Silver badge

Re: How Convenient!

But don't bother downloading 6.0 if you are still using XP or Vista; 5.4 was the last release for these platforms.

Avoid Windows 10 and also Office 2019? Fine by me.

Windows 10 already pushed me to the alternative OS choices, so not having to consider any further expenditure on the non-Win 10 machines I still have, forcing me to abandon MS entirely is really no great problem anymore.

Megaphone

Microsoft’s productivity innovations

"Microsoft’s productivity innovations".

Now there is a classic El Reg oxymoron if I ever saw one!!

Still running Office 2003 on all our Windows platforms and quite happy with it!

bwa

Dear Microsoft... it's not us, it's you

Well, that makes that choice easy.... Libreoffice it will be, for our whole organization. thank you for helping me make that decision microsloft.... oh and by the way, I'm giving you your Windows 10 Keys back... take care of our dog.

Anonymous Coward

Google Docs

With the exception of hardcore Excel monkeys, everyone I know is either on Google Docs or Keynote. Word and Powerpointless are extremely shit.

Office 2019 will be on every device when they realise the limitations of a market based soley on Windows business fleets.

I wish chimps would stop buying Microsoft crap.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Google Docs

"everyone I know is either on Google Docs or Keynote."

Last stats I saw a few months ago had Google on a few percent versus Microsoft on 90% for Office software. And O365 is wiping the floor with Google Apps - more users and growing much faster.

Google's product also has major shortcomings like no DRM without viewing documents in a internet connected browser.

Bronze badge

Re: Google Docs

"I wish chimps would stop buying Microsoft crap."

Id rather chimps than chumps who go off whining every time Microsoft is mentioned in an article

Linux

Is any of this relly going to matter?

Until Intel fixes their CPU cockup so we don't have to patch the current ones back to 2010 levels of computing power all of this is just laughable.

Most of the work I've seen people doing really shouldn't need a GUI. A dumb terminal to enter data is the most they really need.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018