back to article Jodie Who-ttaker? The Doctor is in

The timelord of Doctor Who, a man since 1963, will be portrayed by a woman – actress Jodie Whittaker – for the first time. Peter Capaldi, Doctor number 12, will regenerate after four years in the BBC's Christmas 2017 special to take on his new, female form. We last saw Capaldi's Doctor fighting his regeneration in Series 10, …

Silver badge

Oh gosh

You are absolutely flipping bonkers, aren't you? Bless your heart.

Bigger change is Moffat leaving and Chris "Broadchurch" Chibnall taking over the reins. I thought Broadchurch had a cracking first season but season 2 and definitely 3 were a bit so and so. Be interesting to see what he does with DW. Rumors are that it will be more mass appeal rather than sci-fi geek.

Coat

"Sorry, the Doctor can't fight the Daleks today, she's on the blob and she's crying into a large box of chocolates"

At over 2,000 years old I think the Doctor went through the male menopause several centuries ago, so no worries there. On the bright side, we won't have some barmy, love sick teenage girl wanting to bang a man old enough to be the origin of her species.

Anonymous Coward

So theoretically a time lord could sleep with themselves. Does that make it incest or gay?

I also quite like the idea of black lesbian bond, it certainly would be fun to watch.

Joking aside I'll judge it on the content with no preconceptions due to the gender of the Doctor.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

re:"So theoretically a time lord could sleep with themselves. Does that make it incest or gay?"

Neither, it would be masturbation.

So theoretically a time lord could sleep with themselves

Indeed, hence John Simms' marvellous line "Is this inappropriate?" in the last episode.

Silver badge
Trollface

Mary Poppins you say...

Shouldn't that be Michael Poppins?

Silver badge
Childcatcher

It's going to be interesting when the Doctor next meets River Song...

Silver badge

River is dead after spending twenty years/one night with the Dr.

Silver badge

River is dead after spending twenty years/one night with the Dr.

If only the Dr had some way of travelling through time...

Silver badge

Indeed, but that doesn't mean she won't meet this Doctor, although I guess Moffat wanted to give the Rover Song story an ending.

Silver badge

Re: River is dead after spending twenty years/one night with the Dr.

It has been established that crossing your own time line is a bad idea (they've still done it though) and from what River has said, she had caught up with all their meetings by the time they got to the planet with the singing rocks.

Silver badge
Headmaster

Re: River is dead after spending twenty years/one night with the Dr.

Ah but we still don't know if they've done Jim the Fish yet...?

Anonymous Coward

Rover Song? I suppose there's nothing in the 54 years of Doctor Who to say River can't regenerate as a dog when she escapes the Library. Roll over K9!

As we're told, fans must not be "fearful", and actors do not want to be “boxed in by what you’re told you can and can’t be”

Bronze badge
Unhappy

sorry :(

Sadly the Alex Kingston version (3rd River) gave all of her regeneration energy to the doctor following...

You know what, I'm not even going to bother trying to explain that continuity knot.

Basically, she used up her remaining regenerations at one point, which is a pity due to Rover Song being a decent play on her name.

Silver badge

Re: sorry :(

'Sadly the Alex Kingston version (3rd River) gave all of her regeneration energy to the doctor following...

You know what, I'm not even going to bother trying to explain that continuity knot.

Basically, she used up her remaining regenerations at one point, which is a pity due to Rover Song being a decent play on her name.'

So they wanted to write her out of the series and came up with some made up b******s to do it?

Silver badge
Trollface

Personally...

I would have liked to see the Doctor regenerate as an avocado, but those fruitists at the BBC... etc.

Silver badge
Coat

Re: Personally...

@Zog the nth

David Wolfe as Dr Who?

*that* would offend me.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
Headmaster

Err...

I'll think you find Joanna Lumely was the first femal Doctor Who, in the Doctor Who Red Nose Day special a few years ago.

Still not ginger then...

Let the feminazis have this one

If they will just promise to finally start a campaign for their lovely "Equality" in the numbers of male and female doctors:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2532461/Why-having-women-doctors-hurting-NHS-A-provovcative-powerful-argument-leading-surgeon.html

Silver badge

Re: Let the feminazis have this one

Us pesky feminazis, running every international corporation, taking over every board room, in charge of every large charity, dominating the UK Supreme Court and ditto the House of Commons. Yes, ha ha ha we have come to bring all men into slavery! You have named and shamed with your Daily Mail article on why too many women doctors means the end of our species. Oh noes!

Silver badge
FAIL

"feminazis"

And . . . I stopped reading right there.

Silver badge

You know if you keep reading that nonsense you'll go blind and your computer will get scabies.

Some nasty sexist pigs say feminazis are totally lacking in any humour whatsoever, but LOOK ! Sarcasm !

Stick to Erotic Romance, deary.

Anonymous Coward

I'll just leave this here

Female Doctor

Sonic Screwdriver

Rule 34

Silver badge

Re: I'll just leave this here

I'll just leave this here:

Male Doctor

Sonic Screwdriver

Rule 34

Anonymous Coward

Re: I'll just leave this here

Upvotes for both of you, though of course they should probably be downvotes.

Pass the mind bleach please...

Coat

Re: I'll get me coat...

Thirteen Incarnations

Sonic ScrewdriverS

Rule 34

Thumb Up

Birthplace

"Unless you've watched ITV's Broadchurch, or are a dedicated Whittaker career-watcher, you'll probably not be familiar with the New Zealand-born actor."

Erm, no, She's a reet proper Yorkshire lass.

Silver badge

Re: Birthplace

"New Zealand born..."

Well, her middle name is Auckland.

Anonymous Coward

not to be "scared" of her agenda

I've never heard it called that before

Silver badge

Re: not to be "scared" of her agenda

Whose agenda, I wonder? The actor's? Presumably she wants to be successful in the role. The new Doctor Who's? To fight evil and succeed at Time Lord stuff. The writers? To build up a bigger fan base. The producers? To have a hugely successful show. The BBC? To get more viewers and to be able to sell a stronger series overseas.

And...that's it.

Two comments

I've no problem with her being a "she". I do think she is too young. There should be something a little time-worn and crusty about the doctor (it's why Matt Smith didn't fit). That said I hope she doesn't quit after five minutes like the recent Doctors all have.

Silver badge
Headmaster

Re: Two comments

They're mostly not too different from the original ones (Ecclestone notwithstanding, or indeed not staying):

Hartnell - 3 seasons + a couple of episodes

Troughton - Just under 3 seasons (2 + all except the 2 episodes above)

Pertwee - 5 seasons

T Baker - 7 seasons

Davidson - 3 seasons

C Baker - 2 seasons + 1 episode

McCoy - 3 seasons + start of the TV movie

McGann - TV movie

Hurt - 1 episode

Ecclestone - 1 season

Tennant - 3 seasons + the "gap year" specials

Smith - 3 seasons + 2 specials

Capaldi - 4 seasons

It's only Pertwee and Tom Baker who did long stints, everyone else is mainly 2-3 seasons.

Happy

I think Matt Smith grew into the role rather well.

This could prove interesting.

Silver badge

Though the numbers can be made to tell a different story.

Hartnell season 1 - 42 episodes, 2 -39 episodes, 3 - 45 episodes. Plus 8 from Season 4. Total 94 episodes

Colin Baker - Season 22 - 24 episodes (counting 45min as 2 x old length), Season 23 - 14 episodes. Total about 1/3 of Hartnell rather than at first glance 2/3rds

Bronze badge

Bear in mind that the early seasons were over 40 episodes apiece. Each of the first two actors put in over 120 episodes, then the season was cut to 25 or 26 episodes for the third, fourth, and fifth doctors. It was downhill from there with 13 or 14 episodes per season.

None of the actors after Davison put in as many episodes as Hartnell or Troughton did in a single season. Baker (T) still holds the record for most episodes. Pertwee in 5 years did about as many episodes as his predecessors did in 3 years.

Anonymous Coward

I think Matt Smith grew into the role rather well.

Yes, he'd just hit puberty by the time he left.

Troughton threatened to walk if the season count wasn't reduced, the effort to remember lines for episodes that were guest star light (in other words, just TARDIS crew) was incredible. It was Pertwee that got the benefit though...

Bronze badge

"Troughton threatened to walk"

An empty threat from most actors, and particularly Patrick T., who was known to be nervous as hell about being unemployed. He would tout himself around the Beeb every chance he got, even when playing the Doctor.

Silver badge

"Time worn and crusty"

It's a pity Liz Smith is no longer with us - that would have been brilliant.

Anonymous Coward

The sheer number of episodes took its toll of everyone - writers, production staff, actors - at a time when gap between recording episode and broadcasting episode was around a week. There was no slack in system.

Only respite for regular members of cast was to have a week off when their character was knocked senseless, got lost or captured in the storyline.

Bronze badge

by my count its Capaldi - 3 seasons (8,9,10)

Bronze badge

And it's likely that Hartnell would have kept going if he didn't become ill and have to give up the role.

Shape shifting Thatcher

There was a woman on breakfast TV this morning who said it was a good idea because " haven't we had female doctors in hospitals for years" -- I thought he was not that sort of doctor -- and then went on to say "and we had a female prime minister in 1979" thus supporting my belief that the Maggie was a shapeshifting lizard alien ;-)

Silver badge

Re: Shape shifting Thatcher

Maggie was more of a Blake's 7 fan.

Her role model was Servalan.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017