back to article May the excessive force be with you: Chap cuffed after Star Trek v Star Wars row turns bloody

A bloke was arrested after a shouting match with a pal over Star Wars versus Star Trek led to blood being spilled. Jerome Dewayne Whyte, 23, was collared by Oklahoma police at 6pm on July 1 after he and his roommate argued about the relative merits of the snooty space opera versus the sci-fi merchandizing vehicle turned …

Page:

1. Trollslayer
    Flame

At least we are safe

From ElRegers growing up

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If we are going to go Animé

Cowboy Bebop.

3. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Moonbase Alpha?

Buck Rogers?

Oh.

What about Robotech? The one with the Miss Macross Contest? Minmei?

Or Thunderbirds?

Ah well.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Buck Rogers?

How about Dan Dare?

2. Vic

Buck Rogers?

Mmmm. Erin Gray...

Vic.

4. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

And the drokkin poll is rigged, what about the drokkin last question? Eh?

5. Mystereed

Can I just say...

...that we have been blessed with so much brilliant stuff to watch over the years?

I haven't clicked on so many up-votes ever!

Don't fight - love the things you love :-)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Two more for the list ...

Terrahawks and Space Precinct ... Gerry Anderson classics!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Star Trek or Star Wars?

Ambassador Kosh says "Yes".

8. Pompous Git Silver badge

What I want to know is...

Which is worse: The Green Slime, or Attack of the Killer Tomatoes?

9. Tom Paine
    WTF?

Blake's 7

This wasn't my observation, and I'm badly mangling it thru age-related bitflips. But:

Star Trek: Galaxy is ruled by the Federation, a benevolent, democratic association between many species, all living in more-or-less harmony

Blake's 7: Galaxy si ruled by the Federation, a ruthlessly violent authoritarian dictatorship

Star Trek: our heroes are the diverse crew of a spaceship doing a combination of humanitarian and military work. They work together selflessly as a mostly-harmonious team under a brilliant leader.

Blake's 7: our heroes (?) are mostly escaped criminals, with a couple of idealistic freedom fighter types, supposedly to attack the Federation but with plenty of larcenous sidelines and personal agendas. Held together mostly by expediency, the group is shot through with envy, ambition, greed and distrust and suspicion ending in the gradual mental disintegration of a leading character who finally kills the leader in a fit of paranoia.

They both have FTL travel, personal teleportation and rayguns, but the computers in Blake's 7 are way, WAYYYYY cooler than anything I'm aware of in ST.

And at the end of the final scene of the final show of the final series they all die, executed in cold blood, one by one, in horrible slow-motion, leaving only the by now completely insane Avon surrounded by the space Gestapo, holding a sort of ray-gun assault rifle with a telescopic stock. He smiles the maddest smile, the most terrifying and heartstopping expression, slowly begins the raise the gun...

Fade to black...

Sound of blaster shots.

Silence.

Roll credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9feQ2sXhu0

Absolutely the greatest ending of a TV series of all time. Has anyone else ever done this? Ever?

Imagine if Star Trek ended with Spock shooting Kirk before the crew are gunned down by Klingons! Only the BBC could dare to do such a thing (and arguably only decades ago; lord knows how it would go down if suggested now.) The disbelief and shock was really pretty gobsmacking. (It was a broadcast at 8pm and had a big family audience!) The sets were wobbly, the spaceship floors were clearly chipboard, some of the acting left a little to be desired and there was *cough* a certain amount of potboiling writing, I concede, but for all that it was always a lot more true to real life and the human condition than Star Trek's airless, airbrushed set pieces and creative writing school committees of writers. Please don't take umbrage, ST fans - I'm not criticising you - it's not your *fault* you haven't seen enough B7 to realise the truth.... ;)

10. kbutler.toledo

soapy, soapy, soapy ...

They were both detestable in melodrama and impractical in any application of the so-called sciences they tried to apply to their themes.

Mankind goes forth for money, plain and simple. Ask the American Indians, the Aztecs, the peoples of the South Seas, the "Abo's" of Australia.

Get the theme right and the sciences applied right and then ask me again which 'show' was better. I've watched many and most, Firefly comes closest to true theme based on true life, although the science was questionable. The movie Serenity, based on Firefly was bad science as well but closer than almost every other show on motive.

Re-ask the question as: Which is closer to reality? Dystopia or Utopia ...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon