back to article Trump's plan: Tariffs on electronics, ban on skilled tech migrants, turn off the internet

The United States Presidential Election has been run and at the time of writing looks almost certainly to have been won by Donald Trump. Which means we now have a decent idea of what's in store for the global technology industry in the next four years. And it looks like a wild ride: Trump's policies include a clamp down on H- …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Dark Valley

Yes, that's my fear - Trump thinks he can hunker behind his Mexican wall, Putin thinks he is being given a green light and rolls the tanks into the Baltic state. Some countries (maybe even us?) have the balls to say 'Niet!', and the shooting starts. The USA will no doubt turn up for WW3 a few years (or 4 minutes) too late.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah the Daily Mail said there was definitely again going to be an imminent big scarey invasion across the "Balkan Sea". Of course I tried pointing my binoculars that direction, but what do you know - nothing, again. Bastards.

2. Custard Fridge

I'd not seen that cartoon for 20 years...

The next question is, if history is repeating itself, are we post 1929 or not?

Is there a crash approaching before the wars start, or do we head straight on to trade tarrifs, jackboots, decadent westerners etc?

I've been humming 'tomorrow belongs to me' all bloody day now

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The good news is that...

... the billionaires, 1%, tax-dodging corporations and wall street still hold all the power in the US.

The US government just exists to allow them to exert their power and to get access to the billions of tax dollars paid by worker drones.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Like BREXIT this will encourage the xenophobia and hatred of other groups to come into the open. The schism of the Civil War has probably never properly healed.

The Supreme Court of the US will now have its missing tie-breaking member installed by Trump and ratified by both Republican dominated houses. The KKK endorsed Trump as did the NRA.

Expect conservative states to re-table legislation to remove assistance for the poor and to follow a proscriptive religious line on sexual matters.

Those who are currently suffering deprivation may think they have voted for a return to a land of milk and honey. They are probably in for a shock.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The US seems on an unavoidable course to become a theocratic "republic" in the same manner Iran is.

To be fair, I suspect 51% of Americans actually love the way Iran is run, just dont like the fact they worship a different book. If you could change that one thing, they'd be best buddies for life.

1. Yesnomaybe

Neccessary

Perhaps this will turn out to be a very useful lesson for the US electorate. Long-term I mean. Letting Trump screw up might be a way of showing the hard-of-understanding that all these "easy solutions" are a fantasy. A useful lesson, as long as it doesn't lead us to a nuclear war that is...

1. James 51

Re: Neccessary

European countries had the same thing in the thirties and the lesson is wearing off here.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"European countries had the same thing in the thirties and the lesson is wearing off here."

It is not surprising. Very few people who were adults then are still alive. The post-war Baby-boomers grew up in an era when parents didn't say much about those times - it was still too raw. It was only recently that I realised we had lived only a few doors away from the house from where Oswald Mosley made major rally speeches. The neighbour was a staunch Mosley supporter for the rest of his life.

Documentaries concerned themselves more with the war itself - rather than the longer build-up. Our school history lessons covered only before 1914. Many people now regard history as only a subject for romanticised TV/film dramas.

I have often wondered how my parents perceived the events unfolding in the UK and Europe in their early adult years. As I approach my span of threescore and ten - this year has finally given me a visceral handle on that.

"The Dark Valley: A Panorama of the 1930s" by Piers Brendon gives a good hindsight view of what was happening round the world.

A complement is the "Inside ..." series of books published between 1936 and 1939 by the journalist John Gunther. Those editions published before WW2 are the better for having no foresight of what was the outcome in all the countries he analysed. "Inside Europe" (Munich revised edition) is very informative.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

" Letting Trump screw up might be a way of showing the hard-of-understanding that all these "easy solutions" are a fantasy."

I'm believe many said that about Herr Hitler.

Spectacular screw-up though!

3. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
          Thumb Up

A lesson for the US electorate?

Hah!

These people are "the common clay of the new west", as the late Gene Wilder so eloquently put it.

They will suffer, forget and the do it again.

Remember Nixon's landslide victory? They don't. Heck, they don't even remember Bush II, and that was only 8 years ago.

1. Yesnomaybe

I have been watching the lead-up and the election with a strong sense of disbelief. This is what it looks like to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcW_Ygs6hm0

4. ecofeco Silver badge

Perhaps this will turn out to be a very useful lesson for the US electorate. Long-term I mean. Letting Trump screw up might be a way of showing the hard-of-understanding that all these "easy solutions" are a fantasy. A useful lesson, as long as it doesn't lead us to a nuclear war that is...

That didn't work with Reagan, Bush 1 and 2, deregulation, tax breaks for offshoring jobs and destruction of workers rights and Big Recession. Why would it work now?

5. DanceMan

"Perhaps this will turn out to be a very useful lesson for the US electorate."

Or not. They elected GW Bush twice.

2. Denarius
        Trollface

one little difference

Iran seem to have some management types that takes their book seriously. In merkinland it is mostly a tribal marker. Few let it interfere with their lives.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: one little difference

"Few let it interfere with their lives."

Most religious organisations want control of their congregations' lives. Any society that allows undue influence on civil policies from religious groups is effectively using it for social control.

In order to make that control absolute it is necessary to make everyone police their neighbour. So everyone learns to pay lip service to their childhood indoctrination - otherwise the essentials for life and work can effectively be reduced.

The Churches in England and Wales have finally started to realise that they no longer have a divine right to have their dogma enshrined in civil law. Even the Lords Spiritual have found themselves having to question their voting positions on social issues. The mandatory "Thirty Nine Articles of Faith" controlling access to education and power was removed in the 19th century - as was the Churches' monopoly on marriages. The religions now rely on a few MPs to be their Trojan Horses - either by their faith or to gain political favours.

The USA has elected a black president, and a female contender - but a declared atheist never gets past the primaries.

To be an atheist in Europe is now unremarkable. In most of the USA it still appears to be unwise if you want a quiet life - that is similar to the situation for Iran's population.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

Don't worry

He's got the smartest people. The smartest... link

1. Roq D. Kasba

Re: Don't worry

Serafinowicz, thank fuck.

USA, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

See....

...the Trident replacement doesn't look such an expensive idea now.

Wonder if Lewis will still suggesting we buy all our mil-tech from the USofA?

5. smudge
    FAIL

I, for one ...

... am scared shitless by our new narcissistic, bigoted, xenophobic, misogynistic, lying, climate-change denying overlord.

1. Jemma

Re: I, for one ...

Which one? Trump or May?

2. Denarius
      Facepalm

different to the average pollie in what way ?

1. smudge
        Facepalm

different to the average pollie in what way ?

The average pollie doesn't get to be the most powerful man on Earth for at least 4 years.

1. Kiwi

The average pollie doesn't get to be the most powerful man on Earth for at least 4 years.

I'd bet, if he were to try to actually use that assumed power, all those who claim "POTUS is the most powerful" would be in for a very rude awakening.

Sadly, those who would be around afterwards to say "told you so" would probably have to spit out the ashes first.

6. Unep Eurobats
    Mushroom

A sound of thunder

Someone went back in time and stepped on a butterfly.

1. smudge
      Thumb Up

Re: A sound of thunder

Classic. Haven't read it for years, but will find a copy today.

7. Roger Kynaston
    Mushroom

Drumpf take on tech.

Didn't he want to get Bill Gates in to shut down the internet? Perhaps his innate stupidity will stop him from actually doing anything too destructive.

Wur all doomed!

8. Adam T

Disturbing

I moved here (to the U.S.) in Feb, and witnessing this election has been bizarre, disturbing and worrying on many levels. That it's resolved to Trump actually winning seems unreal. You know I think the Chinese are right: Democracy is broken. Conceptually it's right and it's proper, but in practice, all it takes is a good con man and a little manipulation of peoples' emotions to turn it into a farce.

I was struck by a panel on Fox News (which I didn't put on) where Varney (an english fella who you probably wouldn't like) was venting that only well-off people should go to college - the essence of the reasoning being not everyone needs an education. It was weird as hell, surely everyone deserves an education? Then it hit me. Uneducated voters are easier to manage. Keep them down and malleable. Makes sense after all.

This is the America I've seen so far. I really hope it gets better choices in 4 years time, because this is a dangerous time for progression. He even has a climate change skeptic as his science advisor... He may was we'll be a creationist for all that says. Not good.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Disturbing

"Uneducated voters are easier to manage."

Until they get out of control. Mussolini was strung up on a lamppost after people realised what he had led them into.

The British reluctance to stage coups against the rule of law acknowledges that once you establish that as a principle for regime change - then it is likely to keep recurring.

1. lglethal Silver badge
        Go

Democracy isn't broken. But what Americans have is not democracy. It looks nothing like a true democracy. Look to places like Germany, Australia and New Zealand if you want to see effective democracy.

The problem is people see America as a democracy (no doubt the people of the Deomcratic People's Republic of Korea (I.e. North Korea) do as well, since it's in the name after all), and if you looked at that, then yes you would probably agree democracy is broken. But it isn't, you're looking at something completely different - I prefer to think of it as a Corprotocracy - Government for the Corporations, and the Corporations to control the Government...

1. Kiwi
          WTF?

Look to places like Germany, Australia and New Zealand if you want to see effective democracy.

You're kidding right? Have you not seen the shon key fuckwit we have as PM right now? How the hell could you use us as an example of "effective democracy" or even "intelligent". Look at who our PM is!

2. Antron Argaiv Silver badge

People have forgotten two of the critical pillars of Democracy:

1. An informed, educated and skeptical electorate

2. A free, objective and inquisitive press

I've recently heard it said that the election is both an indictment and an indicator of the sad decline of the US public education system. Perhaps this is true. But even more true is the total collapse of the old newspaper and television press (think, "All the President's Men" and Walter Cronkite, Harry Reasoner and the rest of the old school journalists) in favor of Fox "News" and CNN. Round-the-clock video tragedy and rabble-rousing are no substitute for clear, objective journalism and journalistic integrity.

2. smudge
      Big Brother

the essence of the reasoning being not everyone needs an education.

You've got to be of a certain age to fully appreciate this, but one of the most unsettling experiences of my life was attending one of the original Pink Floyd "Wall" concerts. It was the sight and sound of the many thousands at Earls Court singing along with "Another Brick...", i.e. "We don't need no education, we don't need no thought control..." Coupled with all the neo-Nazi imagery, it was scary. I was sure that Roger Waters, who by then was clearly and publicly a control freak, was pissing himself laughing on stage.

3. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"I was struck by a panel on Fox News (which I didn't put on) where Varney (an english fella who you probably wouldn't like) was venting that only well-off people should go to college - the essence of the reasoning being not everyone needs an education. "

That's how it is in England right now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuition_fees_in_the_United_Kingdom

"In England, tuition fees are capped at £9,000 a year, with around 76% of all institutions charging the full amount in 2015-16. The average fee for a three year course is currently £26,000 in total."

Add cost of living on top of that, and clearly higher studies are not for poor people.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Add cost of living on top of that, and clearly higher studies are not for poor people."

And remember how we got here. Blair's idea that half the population should be educated to degree level. That's what happens when you have politicians who can't see beyond their next sound-bite so they never get as far as even back-of-an-envelope costing. (Or, in the case of Team Leave, as far as the first line of Article 50.)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Add cost of living on top of that, and clearly higher studies are not for poor people.

Which is ironic since the reason we have tuition fees is Tony Blair's insistence that everyone should have a university education, which he couldn't then pay for. The old system of giving everyone who wanted it the opportunity to get a university education, with grants for the less-well-off, was far better.

4. Mark 110

"You know I think the Chinese are right: Democracy is broken."

Democracy is based on the assumption that a million men are wiser than one man. How's that again? I missed something.

Autocracy is based on the assumption that one man is wiser than a million men. Let's play that over again, too. Who decides?

"Intermission: Excerpts from the Notebooks of Lazarus Long", p. 246

1. lglethal Silver badge

“Ankh-Morpork had dallied with many forms of government and had ended up with that form of democracy known as One Man, One Vote. The Patrician was the Man; he had the Vote.”

With respect to the great Sir terry...

5. Mike Moyle

"This is the America I've seen so far. I really hope it gets better choices in 4 years time..."

With any luck, things might have a chance of changing in two. The members of the House of Representatives serve two-year terms, so they are all up for reelection in 2018. and the Senators serve six, so 1/3 will be at risk. Congress often changes hands during the midterm elections. You may recall that, as the minority party, hard-line Republican Senators filibustered virtually EVERYTHING that the Democrats tried to do from 2008 - 2010. After Congress changed hands in 2010 they didn't need the filibuster to be obstructionist; they could do it by sheer numbers.

Over the past eight years, they have demonstrated how they think a responsible party should act, both as the minority party and as the majority.

"They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind"

6. ecofeco Silver badge

This is the America I've seen so far. I really hope it gets better choices in 4 years time, because this is a dangerous time for progression. He even has a climate change skeptic as his science advisor... He may was we'll be a creationist for all that says. Not good.

The trend has been getting worse for the last 35 years. Forget about it getting better anytime soon.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Look on the good side....

..at least all the goods and services that have had the prices raised due to the crap exchange rate of the Pound, will suddenly become cheaper with the collapse of the Dollar...Oh wait....who am i kidding.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

First legal goal for Trump

Will be repealing the constitution.

Second will be forming a new political alliance with Putin and Erdogan.

I for one, look forwards to the next free and fair elections in the USA (due 2100AD - after Trumps worshippers are finally overthrown in the battle of New Jerusalem)

RH joins the Founding Fathers in spinning, possibly enough to flip the planet out of orbit.

NOT a joke.

1. Denarius

Re: First legal goal for Trump

nice RH touch. Missing the media support though

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: First legal goal for Trump

"I for one, look forwards to the next free and fair elections in the USA (due 2100AD - after Trumps worshippers are finally overthrown in the battle of New Jerusalem)"

Yes, I too am closely watching for his "religious advisers" to appear from behind the curtain. Especially one Nehemier Scudder.

11. martinusher Silver badge

H1B and the bait and switch scam

The US is chronically short of engineering talent but not that short of IT talent. Instead of H1B visas bringing in much needed engineering staff they've been monopolized by a relative handful of Indian IT contracting companies who use them to import cheap IT labor into the US, putting a lot of IT professionals out of a job. This is an abuse of this program -- imported labor is not supposed to displace or undercut local talent (BTW -- I first came to the US on an H1 over thirty years ago, I know the rules and I know when they're being openly flouted).

Reversing globalization is going to be interesting. We've steadily outsourced manufacturing jobs to save money which has left us with a bit of a skill and experience hole in factory work. We've still got plenty of manufacturing, though, but I just don't see how we're going to switch to local made displays (for example) overnight. Maybe we're going to go the North Korea route?

12. Mystic Megabyte
    Unhappy

Arsehole magnet

Yesterday I see that Farage wants a job in the Arsehole's administration.

https://www.rt.com/uk/365827-farage-job-trump-president/

To celebrate Arsehole's win I have ordered a 112lb gold plated anvil from Acme, that well know Usian manufacturer. I have specified that it must be delivered to Mr. Arsehole by drone. They are doing a special deal if any one else wants to buy one :)

1. Chloe Cresswell Silver badge

Re: Arsehole magnet

Drone?

OADS!

http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/OADS/anvil_chorus.html

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Arsehole magnet

I can see Farage working in the Oral Office.

13. Conundrum1885

Now would be a great time

To learn Chinese.

1. Teiwaz

Re: Now would be a great time

To learn Chinese.

- Pick the right dialect - I had a friend who tried to impress someone he knew from that part of the planet by learning some mandarin, the someone was from Hong Kong and was a little put out.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like