back to article Why is the iPhone so successful? 'Cause people love 'em

Apple's iPhone may have its detractors, but they don't appear to include many folks who actually own one – yet another survey has shown that Apple's überpopular handset is beloved by a strong percentage of its users. "For the eighth consecutive study, Apple ranks highest among manufacturers of smartphones in customer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. paulc
    Stop

The only advantage that the iPhone really has...

is the simple fact that you can go into almost any accessories shop and find something it fits in or docks to... Android phones are stuffed in this manner as they have so many different form factors.

2. Tom 7

40 years ago before telly really got going

every kid at school supported a football team that they had never seen play. They supported it enough to kick the shit out of someone else who had never seen a different team play.

I've just had a friends teenage child spend their hard earned money on an iPad. The technical reasons for this were 'It just has to be an iPad' They were fully aware that they could not justify their proposed expense but their peer group at school would only allow an iPad.

People do not buy an Apple product for ease of use or technical reasons. But once they buy one if your not on their team...

I wish I could generate 'iFaith' in a better product.

1. Dana W
      Happy

Re: 40 years ago before telly really got going

Well actually no, their ease of use and technical reasons "build quality, support and security" are why people buy them.

After I got converted I converted everyone else I knew. I don't have to do free service calls for friends anymore, and nobody I converted has switched back.

Nice use of anecdotal evidence though.

3. MrXavia
    WTF?

Of course Apple are at the top, 2 reasons

1) Apple users are often fanatical about apple products, they are the kind of people to buy into the fancy advertising and be very happy with an iPhone..

2) Apple has just one well refined phone, yet the others sell phones ranging from around £50-£600 in cost, so you have people buying CHEAP phones expecting the experience of an expensive phone, i.e. they will be less satisfied...

Personally I have a £500 samsung phone, and I'd rate it higher than an iphone, but I'd rate an iphone above a one of the lower models of samsung phones...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

JD Power survey

100% i-Phone users raved about their phones

100% samsung owners raved about their model of phone

80 blackberry users were too busy so only 20 raved about their phones

Next they'll tell us 100 lbour MP's voted labour in the last election.

Take what you will from surveys

they sell 300,000 fords and only 10,000 bentleys, takes less bentley owners being satisfied to make 90% happy.

the moral is, use surveys as a guideline and go try the ones you like before buying

5. Adam T

Satisfaction? Confidence.

I'm at that point where I've been using nothing but an iPhone since the very first version and, to be frank, I'm rather bored of it.

I'd love to have a phone by another manufacturer, with a different OS to explore - I don't mind who builds it or what the OS is called, but so far there's nothing to inspire *confidence* in a switch-over. Sure the Galaxy SIII might be a great phone, but II look at Samsung and I think "inconsistent"... I look at other manufacturers and I think "struggling". I want consistency and I want the assurance of security. And I hate to say it, but iPhone is the only device that fulfils what I'm after - hell I couldn't even give two shits about the apps or the ecosystem, it's just a question of caring about what I spend my money on and what it means for the next 24 months.

1. the-it-slayer
      Facepalm

Re: Satisfaction? Confidence.

Why would you get bored at making phone calls and sending messages? You wouldn't have a phone at all if that's the case. I really don't get that sort of comment. You might be bored trying to tinker with it but why tinker when it does what you want as you already said?

Some people.

1. Adam T

Good job at completely missing my point, and pretending I said something completely different, that is inferring I do nothing but "make phone calls, send messages and tinker". As it happens, I make very few calls, send almost as few messages, and don't do much 'tinkering'.

Next.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So you don't make calls, you don't text, and you don't tinker. An iPhone is obviously too small to REALLY surf the web, and if you want to watch movies that would be an iPad instead of a phone.

So by my calculations, that only leaves one reason to purchase an iPhone, despite the downvotes on earlier posters who said as much: you bought it for the status symbol.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Boredom

Many people buy iPhones and other electronic toys because they are bored. They don't use these devices primarily as tools, mostly they used them as entertainment because they are bored. The phone companies and phone/toy makers are more than happy to tell you how much better your life will be by talking and texting 24/7, like the sheep that you are.

1. Adam T

Re: Boredom

Riight, because you know me so well you know what I do with my phone, right? And saying it as an Anonymous Coward, just LoL.

6. Sporkinum

I really don't care. It's an appliance, and I don't pay for it. If my employer quit doling out phones, I'd probably get myself a cheap prepaid flip phone.

7. Torquemada28

Meaningless survey is meaningless.

I have extensive experience with iPhones and Android and prefer Android by far. That is my opinion but it's based on my satisfaction when using both devices. How many of those involved in this survey has experience with a different phone? Most people I know who own an iPhone have never looked at a high end Android handset in any detail so their "satisfaction" is generated in a vacuum. If you ignore everything else on the market, of course the iPhone is the best phone in the Universe. In contrast, most Android owners I know have either owned, used or have been exposed to an iPhone and have made a conscious decision to buy an Android. I suspect that if all the respondents with iPhones had used a Galaxy S2 or similar phone for any length of time, their perceived "satisfaction" with their iPhone would be diminished and would be at a similar level to the Android users.

Also, comparing the user satisfaction of people using the iPhone with the user satisfaction of someone using a low-end budget Android handset is disingenuous to say the least. How many of the Android users owned a handset with similar or better specs than an iPhone?

8. Tom 13

This survey is comparing apples and orange juice.

Not even apples and oranges mind you, apples and orange JUICE. Apple don't make phones other than iPhones. And no other vendors make iPhones. Google make Android, but don't make the phones. Samsung, HTC etc don't make Android, but sell phones using the Android OS made by Google.

JDPower surveys use to mean something. But apparently they've been bought off by Apple.

9. Dana W
    Meh

Cognitive dissonance strikes again.

I love how every time I suggest people LIKE their Apple kit, and enjoy using it I get thumbed down.

Is it really that hard to understand? Their products are reliable, easy to use, and well made. This is what people actually want.

Its not about adverting, its not some weird propaganda magic. They make a well supported, fun to use, reliable product that INCREASES THEIR ENJOYMENT. Why is that so difficult to comprehend?

Now watch me collect thumbs down from half a dozen bitter MCSE types.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like