back to article Only global poverty can save the planet, insists WWF - and the ESA!

Extremist green campaigning group WWF - endorsed by no less a body than the European Space Agency - has stated that economic growth should be abandoned, that citizens of the world's wealthy nations should prepare for poverty and that all the human race's energy should be produced as renewable electricity within 38 years from now …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. wibble001
    Thumb Down

Interestingly.....

......their new HQ looks to use an awful lot of steel/glass/concrete.

http://www.wwf.org.uk/what_we_do/about_us/the_living_planet_centre.cfm

1. NomNomNom

Re: Interestingly.....

And where in the report do they say steel/glass/concrete cannot be used?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Foxnewsworthy!

This reminds me of the New Black Panther Party story Fox News carried and carried and carried...despite the fact that membership in the Party numbered in the single digits.

Fear mongering under the guise of news. Pretty much sums up El Reg's editorial stance on Climate Change, eh? You'd think an educated readership would be able to distinguish between the science of climate change and the politics of the solutions...but no.

3. Brian Hall
    Facepalm

Feudal Dreams

Martin Durkin has some penetrating articles on the subject; try http://www.martindurkin.com/blogs/greens-warning-history-volume-one -- The Greens: A Warning From History to start. The good ol' days weren't.

4. Steve Ives
    Paris Hilton

I remember when...

The WWF were just concerned (acording to their logo) about pandas...

Steve

5. GSmeeton

I work for WWF and to suggest, as Lewis Page does, that we are arguing that "Only global poverty can save the planet" is utter nonsense. Lewis Page says that we have "stated that economic growth should be abandoned" - this is absolutely untrue. He says that we "present demands" - we do no such thing.

We do not argue that "human beings shouldn't want to get richer" , or that "economic growth... is a Bad Thing". Lewis also questions the figures used in the figures used in the Living Planet report yet, instead of picking up the phone to ask us about them, he prefers to dismiss them as "indices invented either by themselves or by other international non- or quasi-governmental organisations".

I respect Lewis Page for his service in the Royal Navy and for his book (Lions, Donkeys and Dinosaurs) and his candid criticisms of the UK military establishment. This article is however a piece is ill-informed polemic, nothing more. Lewis Page is a better journalist than this.

6. PWSurrey

Your Legacy

What a sad, delusional article. You must be about the only person on the planet who does not see that we are depleting our natural resources, that loss of habitat is leading to massive losses in biodiversity, that water scarcity will impact every person on the planet within 30 years, and that irrefutable warming will totally transform life as we know it over the next 50-60 years. I hope you have understanding grandchildren.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like