New Forum Wishlist - but read roadmap first

I have closed the original New forum Wishlist - and boiled it down (and added some stuff) to the things we will do, the things we might do, the things we are unlikely to do and the things we won't do. Here is our roadmap. There are no timescales as we have a lot of other stuff on our plate. El Reg forums roadmap - no time …

This topic was created by Drewc .

Silver badge

In the desktop version of the site the link in a post that shows the time has passed since the post, and also leads to that post by clicking on it is right aligned over the 'withdraw' link. In the mobile site it's left aligned above the user name. Why the difference?

There's also no way that I can see to go directly back to the topic containing the selected thread without going back to the main forum list first. It would be nice to be able to go directly from one to the other.

Silver badge

If you continue to keep the 10 minute editing window, would it be possible to add a spell checker? I just noticed a typo in one of my posts (and there are probably others too elsewhere that I have simply missed), but because the 10 minute period had already expired I'd lost the chance to correct it.

Good Lord man!

Next thing you'll be wanting is a drop down menu for fonts and text formatting.

This post has been deleted by its author

Bronze badge

Feature request: Mod rejection reason

Cuz I'm grasping at straws here after those last three. If I've run over someone's cat, it was using some pretty advanced cloaking technology.

Silver badge
Pint

Re: Feature request: Mod rejection reason

"If I've run over someone's cat, it was using some pretty advanced cloaking technology."

Gawd/ess only knows. The only thing that I can figure out about my posts that have been nuked is that they have ALL been nuked when Australia was in 9-5 mode. None of them were off-topic, nor were they against forum rules.

::shrugs:: ElReg's forum, ElReg's rules. Beer, just because.

Silver badge

"What on earth are you guys posting that gets you moderated?"

Actually, probably 20% of my posts that have been rejected in the last couple months were in response to yourself. Most in answer to direct questions from yourself. Are you related to someone with moderation capability at ElReg?

Immoderate moderation is an ugly thing.

Bronze badge

"What on earth are you guys posting that gets you moderated?"
The first rule of premoderation club is that you won't be able to talk about premoderation club... ;-)

Silver badge

If ElReg is actually reading & paying attention, my reply to this post:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/2555194

was nixed. Why? What, exactly, was off topic and/or against the forum rules in that post?

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Feature request: Mod rejection reason

Try not to imply other forum users are stupid. That's exactly the sort of thing which gets comments rejected.

Silver badge

@ gazthejourno (was: Re: Feature request: Mod rejection reason)

No implication of stupidity implied or intended. Rather, ignorance.

Ignorance can be rectified through education.

Bronze badge

Random electric shock time again. Okay, I give up, what was that one for?

I joked last time, but I just lost a straightforward genuine question I even titled 'Genuine question' just in case. Yeah, that *might* have been part of a subtle multipart passive aggressive plot to start a religious flamewar or something..

But it actually wasn't. Nor was the last. Or the one before that. Is everything.. okay?

Bronze badge

Well.. here we are again. Methinks mods can't see what post you've replied to, and need to guess what you're talking about.

Happy to discuss the practical realities of Cloud dependence with the mod if they disagree with me.

Bronze badge

Oookay.. so, I can't talk about Cloud security weak points, in the context of Cloud security (while working with Cloud security), and now I can't talk about the canonical Exchange mailing list explosion, in the context of Exchange mailing list explosions (they even made T-shirts for it).

Dudes. What is going on?

Silver badge

"Dudes. What is going on?"

My gut feeling is that CommentardsWithAClue[tm] are stepping on the toes of a "senior" editor who is under a quarter century old.

Hint to "senior editor": Some of us were doing this before you were born.

Bronze badge

Last couple of rejections are a conundrum. Forbidden from highlighting a source negatively, yet to all available data, the source genuinely *is* negative (to put it very mildly). I thought I could call the spade a spade.

I again don't know what aspect caused the rejections. Is there any way to phrase a 'be aware - manipulative source' (not journo, not article) to get it past moderation?

(Not comfortable with Reg glossing over their long reputation, then muffling comments highlighting it. That piper isn't playing that tune for our benefit, and you really shouldn't pull us into their dance without warning us.)

Bronze badge
Happy

Arf! Feature request stands. Moderators can't tell I'm not laughing at Reg Moderation when joking about potential future moderation in an article about moderation. Yes, lawyers would take a long time to moderate posts! That was the joke!!

Moderators need at least an idea about what the conversation context is. This isn't the first time context-loss has gotten me binned.

And what's with the spooky Moderated-but-not-released-or-rejected limbo mode? You took *ages* to finally reject that obviously dangerously insidious joke :)

I declare thee silly sausages!

Silver badge

A voting indicator and change vote...

For an odd change I am reading a topic as the comments are fresh, and that means a fair bit of going back through the thread.

Lots of posts to vote on for me tonight..

I'd love to have a marker on the posts I have voted on so I don't try to tick them again. This could eg green text for up and red for down.. I realise there could be some interesting backend work to achieve this of course :)

Also, I accidentally ticked the opposite of what I wanted on a vote. Can we get an option to change a vote? Perhaps like the post edit - only if within X minutes

Thanks El Reg

Anonymous Coward

Re: A voting indicator and change vote...

Upvoted for the indicatormejig but no idea how it could be done without adding reams of crap to the pages.

As for changing your vote: just click on the other one.

Silver badge

Is there any chance of extending the editing window for those of us that are regular posters and have had the chance to prove ourselves to be responsible individuals?

Personally I've never really understood this 10 minute rule, since deceiving changes can be made just as easily after five minutes as fifty.

Silver badge
Childcatcher

Keeping Score

It would be interesting to have an annual update of site participation. I propose calling it the Badges & Ban Hammer Report. When the badge system originally came out, we were given cold, hard numbers (e.g. "about 650 commentards qualify"). It would be interesting to have occasional updates on that. It would also be nice to have a list of which HTML tags are available without having to fiddle around with a post to find out, so include that too. As far as the ban hammer portion of the report... there have been one or two people who have been non-voluntarily retired from El Reg participation. It is a good and common practice to remember those no longer with us at year's end.

Re: Keeping Score

The story you point to explains the additional HTML tags that are allowed, but doesn't mention all of them. Ah well.

Basic allowed HTML tags are: b strong i em s strike

Additional ones (as per the article, and our code) are: sub sup ul li code pre q blockquote

People who can submit "links" have also the "a" tag available, with the only customisable attribute of it being, "href".

New member - Unable to create new "topic"

Hi, I'm a new signup. Wanted to start a topic, but The only place I can create new content is in response to someone else's post. No tools at the topic level. [Firefox on Ubuntu, all scripts permitted, current on all updates.]

JIC - I wish to post on a problem with Windows 10 and the system restore tool. Attempted to perform a restore on a Windows tablet. After 'special startup' the restore proceeds to require user input using a physical keyboard and mouse. Which, of course does not exist on a tablet. No BT kbd or touchscreen input was recognized.

My tablet only has one micro-usb port on it - which I used for the specially-purchased micro-usb thumbdrive containing the previously created restore image.

How can Windows 10 succeed as a tablet OS if the restore tool cannot accommodate a tablet environment? Either I need to get a usb hub and micro-usb adapter so I can attach a kbd/mouse/storage simultaneously, or MS needs a new restore procedure: Perhaps by asking all configuration questions b4 the reboot and creating a batch file that is used to direct the restore process.

Silver badge

When replying to a post, would there be any chance of the reply displaying a hyperlink back to the post that has been replied to, with the text reading something like 'In reply to [USER]' (and possibly add the subject in brackets if the original post had one). It would add a little more structure to the conversation IMO. Also reverting back to timestamps and including them in the link would also help.

Gold badge

There already is. Admittedly it's not the most user-friendly,and it's a shame that they took timestamps away.

At the top left of this post, replying to you, will be a little grey curly arrow. hover over that and a tooltip says "in reply to". Click on it, and it takes you to the actual post this is a reply to. Puts it at the very top of the page.

Not the most elegant solution. I'd like them to introduce proper threading, or find some way to improve the comment-usability-jungle. But there is something.

Silver badge

It's what one of my former colleagues would probably refer to as 'mystery meat navigation', only in this case it's even worse. There is no indication there is a hyperlink there, much less where it leads to (do the staff here really expect people to randomly hover over elements in the hope of finding what they're looking for?).

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing the forums occupying it's own site so it can have a completely different layout. It's as if they're trying to shoe horn in elements of design from the main site here and it just doesn't work particularly well with regards to the forums. A site for a forum that been designed to be just a forum though would probably work much better - and might end up being more frequently used too.

Silver badge

I can appreciate that in some cases moderation is necessary or simply wanted for whatever reason (any article by Andrew Orlowski comes to mind, where moderation always seems to be switched on) but some people, myself included, have been around for some time now and it would be nice to think that we have in most cases proven ourselves to be reasonably responsible individuals.

Is it really necessary to moderate everybody proactively? Can't you allow some of us to be moderated on a reactive rather than proactive basis even when moderation is switched on for everybody?

This might minimise the moderation queue and give you less work to do too, so there would be a benefit for you as well (not to mention everybody else whose posts get approved more quickly because they're seen more rapidly).

Re: Will "delete account" delete all my posts?

Hi Larry. Jude here from The Register. The usual procedure is that your public posts will appear under the anonymous icon and username after you leave us. If you're sure you wish to delete your posts, you can delete them yourself, but you'll have to do this prior to deleting your account. There is nowhere like Reg forums though, Larry. Think about that.

Silver badge

Invalid HTML warning

I sometimes screw up the spelling of a [blockquote] (using [ instead of < for the example only) or forget a "/" when I want to close a set of italics or bold etc etc. This causes El Reg to flag the post as containing invalid HTML, which is good.

However, some of my posts are long, and/or sometimes quite late at night/early in the morning for me, and in my bleary-eyedness I find it hard to spot the actual error.

Could we have something where the offending code is flagged up in red? Even an approximation of the area if the system is unsure?

Or, if that takes more work to code than I think , how about flagging our html tags in red/underlined/blink/whatever? Being able to spot the valid HTML tags would often make it quick and easy to spot where something was missed. Even better, flag them in different colours - eg [blockquote][/blockquote] in blue, [i][/i] in red and [b][/b] in pink with purple polka dots. Perhaps flagging the respective block, so [i]this is in italics[/i] would also be in red.

Thanks.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017