back to article London's Metropolitan Police arrest Julian Assange

Julian Assange has been arrested by London cops at the Ecuadorian Embassy after the nation revoked the asylum it had given him for nearly seven years. BREAKING: #Assange removed from embassy - video pic.twitter.com/qsHy7ZVPg5 — Ruptly (@Ruptly) April 11, 2019 The Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) issued a statement this …

Page:

1. the Jim bloke

or has committed a serious crime

so how long ago did they start asking him to empty the cat litter ?

2. SundogUK Silver badge

He wasn't/isn't a refugee. He was/is a fugitive from justice.

1. lglethal Silver badge
    Facepalm

Lesson learned

I guess we've all learned a valuable lesson.

If you're going to be a fugitive on the run from justice, and you somehow manage to wangle yourself asylum in a foreign land. Don't go out of your way to piss off the leaders of said land.

Muppet....

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Lesson learned

And keep the place clean and tidy.

1. cat_mara

And empty your cat's litter box!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

This is pretty much the only thing I even remotely care about - who's looking after the cat now?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"At least I no longer have to live with that filthy animal" - the cat

2. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

In 2012, a crackpot was sent to prison by a court for a crime they did commit. They promptly escaped to the Ecuadorean embassy. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as egotists of ill fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you should try anyone other than the Assange team.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Jove Bronze badge

... and take the occasional shower.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

International Law

"URGENT: Ecuador has illigally terminated Assange political asylum in violation of international law."

What is this "international law" they are talking about? More specifics would be helpful; otherwise it sounds like a generic, unsupportable claim.

1. Steven Raith

Re: International Law

I'd take 'em more seriously if they could spell 'illegally', frankly.

1. JetSetJim
        Joke

> I'd take 'em more seriously if they could spell 'illegally', frankly.

I bet you spent ages proofing that sentence for spelling errors....

1. BebopWeBop
          Joke

Unlike Wikileaks

2. CRConrad

"bet you spent ages proofing that sentence"

Pretty much every media outlet picked up on it and added a sarcastic "[sic]" to their quotes of it.

If they don't want the world to think of them as chumps, perhaps they shouldn't present themselves to the world as chumps.

2. Nick Kew

He's in an embassy. That's London's political-speak-land.

The language of politics comes from Humpty Dumpty. The phrase "International Law" is routinely used to mean whatever the speaker wants it to mean.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

The phrase "International Law" is routinely used to mean whatever the speaker wants it to mean.

Until it gets to an actual court of law in which case the speaker needs to specify exactly what law they mean.

1. Teiwaz

The phrase "International Law" is routinely used to mean whatever the speaker wants it to mean.

Until it gets to an actual court of law in which case the speaker needs to specify exactly what law they mean.

When it comes to Countries, and the 'the International Court' there's much more leeway for bargaining, ignoring the judgement or brazenly giving the metaphorical finger.

It comes down to childish gangs squabbling over territory and failing to getting along amicably on a very small (and seemingly getting smaller) planet.

3. Peter2 Silver badge

What is this "international law" they are talking about? More specifics would be helpful; otherwise it sounds like a generic, unsupportable claim.

There's a good reason for that...

The 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees contains this:-

Article 32 expulsion 1. The Contracting States shall not expel a refugee lawfully in their territory save on grounds of national security or public order.

2. The expulsion of such a refugee shall be only in pursuance of a decision reached in accordance with due process of law. Except where compelling reasons of national security otherwise require, the refugee shall be allowed to submit evidence to clear himself, and to appeal to and be represented for the purpose before competent authority or a person or persons specially designated by the competent authority.

3. The Contracting States shall allow such a refugee a reasonable period within which to seek legal admission into another country. The Contracting States reserve the right to apply during that period such internal measures as they may deem necessary.

Article 33 prohibition of expulsion or return (“refoulement”)

1. No Contracting State shall expel or return (“refouler”) a refugee in any manner whatsoever to the frontiers of territories where his life or freedom would be threatened on account of his race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion.

2. The benefit of the present provision may not, however, be claimed by a refugee whom there are reasonable grounds for regarding as a danger to the security of the country in which he is, or who, having been convicted by a final judgment of a particularly serious crime, constitutes a danger to the community of that country.

With refugee defined as "a refugee is a person who is outside that person's own country's territory owing to fear of persecution on protected grounds, including race, caste, nationality, religion, political opinions and participation in any particular social group or social activities. "

Eucador can probably reasonably legitimately claim that Assange is causing them national security problems by upsetting the highest levels of the Spanish government in contravention of agreements he has made:-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/16/julian-assange-ecuador-spain-catalan-independence-meeting-separatists

Hence, no case to answer. Probably. I suppose you could argue any of those points endlessly, although it would achieve precisely nothing at this point.

1. TrevorH

Assange was never a refugee. A fugitive from justice, maybe. Refugee, no.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Assange was never a refugee. A fugitive from justice, maybe. Refugee, no.

I agree.

But that's the interesting point because legally Asylum is the act of granting a refugee protection.

2. SundogUK Silver badge

'With refugee defined as "a refugee is a person who is outside that person's own country's territory owing to fear of persecution on protected grounds, including race, caste, nationality, religion, political opinions and participation in any particular social group or social activities. "'

Assange was none of these things. He was a fugitive from justice.

4. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Mushroom

yeah about that - there are a LOT of asylum claims that _I_ would like to see terminated... AT THE BORDER!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>_I_ would like to see terminated... AT THE BORDER!

If only the native Americans had started doing that 300 years ago..

1. holmegm

Yeah, that would be great, wouldn't it? The bows and arrows would have come in very handy at D day.

2. SundogUK Silver badge

They did. They lost.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let that be a lesson kids

Let that be a lesson kids, that's what you get for not keeping your room tidy.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

Good. Twat.

5. Andrew Moore

In other news...

...I heard the Ecuadorians are keeping the cat.

1. Danny 2

Re: In other news...

The cat was freed last year.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As it has been established (T May in conservative conference speech a few years ago) that UK courts refuse to repatriate illegal immigrants who have a pet cat then not keeping his cat may have been a schoolboy error on the part of Mr Assange

2. Wellyboot Silver badge

Technically it's an Ecuadorian cat, easier to keep it than get the pet passport & all the other paperwork needed to import it into the UK from the embassy.

The cat itself won't care who provides the food, warmth & attention it's due.

1. BebopWeBop

It is claiming asylum in the UK having been kept against its will by Assange

2. James O'Shea

"Technically it's an Ecuadorian cat"

Does it ignore English-speaking humans more than it ignores Spanish-speaking humans, or vice versa? Or are all humans ignored equally?

1. Kubla Cant

Does it ignore English-speaking humans more than it ignores Spanish-speaking humans, or vice versa? Or are all humans ignored equally?

He walked by himself, and all places were alike to him.

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

Most cats understand English better than many foreigners.

3. Tigra 07
        Childcatcher

Apparently cats forget the face of their owners in as little as 3 days anyway. Julian who?

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Cats have owners?

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

No, dogs have owners...cats have staff

1. Kiwi

No, dogs have owners...cats have staff

Staff? Staff?

The man's crazy! Next thing ya know he'll be claiming he's royalty!

Cat's have slaves!

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Not around here!

The little bastards dug up my seed bed, crapped in a second place and then seemed to try to cover it up in a third place. They are out of control of their owners and I should be allowed to protect my property from them and kill the bastards.

<<steam from ears!>>

1. Trilkhai

Killing cats over a stupid seed bed? Man, get therapy and a vasectomy so no innocent children are exposed to your budding-sociopath attitude.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

They are out of control of their owners and I should be allowed to protect my property from them and kill the bastards

Two problems:

1. Under English Law, cats are not counted as domesticated creatures (unlike dogs who are counted as domesticated animals under the control of their owners) and thus the owners cannot be held liable for their actions (again, unlike dogs). You can, however, be prosecuted for harming a cat since they can be counted as property - so you are suggesting destroying someone else's property..

2. You need some lessons in balance and empathy. Do you really think that harming a living creature of any kind is an acceptable response to losing some seeds? There are ways of keeping cats out of your precious seedbeds but they actually involve you doing something and actually having a think about it.

1. CRConrad

OTOH...

...seeds, if fertilized (as they would probably be, if planted into a seed bed) are living creatures too. Ask any American fundie.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

'Apparently cats forget the face of their owners in as little as 3 days anyway.'

Owners?

As for the forgetting the face of their owners in three days...I used to spend months away from home at at time, I'd then show up early on a Saturday morning and would be swamped by the attentions of my then tribe of furry little overlords as soon as I entered the house...sure, they had other simian slaves looking after them when I wasn't there, but they used to go all apeshittykitty when I showed up and swarm all over me demanding serious amounts of fussings and attention, so, I don't buy that one as a general rule.

'Julian who?'

Quite....once the news wonks move on from the story and he's then surreptitiously spirited away and sequestered in a nice Federal Oubliette somewhere (?) that's a question we'll probably hear from lots of people in the years to come...

Never enter an arsekicking contest with a porcupine, if you are idiot enough to consider doing something so foolish, then best make bloody sure beforehand that you're suitably armoured up, and that it's fit for task...and that the porcupine doesn't have both deep pockets and a bloody large belligerent military at their beck and call (how to win friends and influence people, eh?) and has been playing this arsekicking game for more years than you have, and is a lot better at it than you are..

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Never enter an arsekicking contest with a porcupine

Or a mud-wrestling competition with a pig. You'll both get dirty and only[1] the pig will enjoy[2] it.

[1] OK - maybe not. But that's a whole other bag of fetishes[3]

[2] And also, most pigs come with big tetth and, despite not being carnivores, will eat just about anything and are not worried about biting whatever is annoying them.

[3] And not of the shamanistic kind.

1. SundogUK Silver badge

Pigs are omnivores so, yes, they will eat anything.

3. TRT Silver badge

Re: cats forget the face of their owners

But they recognise the smell forever...

1. Tigra 07
            Devil

"But they recognise the smell forever..."

I once lived near someone with about 10 cats. You could always smell her a mile off for sure!

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

You could always smell her a mile off for sure!

I live with seven (and a dog). You don't smell cats on me because we actually look after ours (they all have easy access to the outside world and the cat trays we maintain for the two that don't like going outside get cleaned every day).

So your cat-person either doesn't care (ie - has no sense of smell) or doesn't look after the cats well.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like