back to article Giraffe hacks printers worldwide to promote God-awful YouTuber. Did we read that one right?

Did your work printer produce a strange call to action this week, urging you to follow a tasteless twerp on YouTube, and then offer you a "bro fist" made up of punctuation marks? Hopefully not because if it did someone in your IT department has really screwed up and failed to patch a two-year-old security hole. But thousands …

1. Twanky
    Alert

Raid?

I read this article earlier today when there were fewer comments - I can't be bothered to read the rest of the comments on this article so if someone else has already made these points then please feel free to express your outrage in the usual manner.

Thing 1: I don't follow anyone on 'social media' - or for that matter on mainstream media. At least not that I can think of immediately. So, I know next to nothing about PewDiePie and his output and I'm reluctant to change that. IMO some people seem to be 'celebrities' for the oddest reasons.

Thing 2: Once upon a time I registered with El Reg because I wanted to comment on an article or someone else's comment. I don't intend to research what it was. The point is: something touched a nerve and I signed up to be able to comment. PewDiePie's supporters (and for all I know some detractors) have done the same. I really don't mind, everyone has to start somewhere.

Thing 3: I only watch cat (and dog) videos on YouTube that manage to get past a very effective filter. If SWMBO tells me I 'have to see this' then it's usually quite funny.

Thing 4: I understand that people who are fans of the most popular talent on YouTube don't want to be relegated to be fans of the second most popular talent on YouTube. That said, all they have to do is change the definition of 'most popular' or 'talent' and they can claim pretty much anything they like. I do get it that there's serious advertising money involved.

Thing 5: Don't tell me I'm old or call be Grandad. I know I'm older then some and not as old as others. I'm not so old that I don't remember being young - sometimes with embarrassment. I'm so old that whenever I read something about PewDiePie I imagine a small canary with an annoying voice (memo to self: must not laugh at people with speech impediments - especially if they hate cats). Only my grandchildren may call me Grandad. They think I'm very old.

Thing 6: IMO the main point of the article is about insecure systems which allow total strangers to print on your printers (and probably worse). In terms of security lessons learned it might have been better if the miscreant had printed a few thousand pages with something like 'This page intentionally left blank' - but then he might not have got any new subscribers for his hero.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is, in this vulture's opinion, absolute garbage

I know it's not the worst thing one has to do in one's job, to watch idiots, yet...I have some sympathy to anyone having to be exposed to things like phew-whever-his-vid-pal's name. Well, watching pres. Trump would be another one of those things, but then, I guess, it generally pays well (enough)...

3. Anonymous South African Coward Silver badge

9100 is closwd. Yay.

4. JohnFen Silver badge

The thing I appreciate about PewDiePie

The thing I appreciate about PewDiePie is that he perfectly encapsulates most of the worst aspects of the internet.

5. Subscribe to PewDiePie

He’s not so bad

You gotta give him a chance, it’s just the younger generations sense of humor. He’s not anti-Semitic nor as vulgar as the majority of media out there. I doubt that the writer of this article even watched more than 2 videos. I mean he hardly even plays games anymore, which is much to the detriment of society. So all this to say... subscribe to PewDiePie and unsubscribe from T-Series. Join the ranks of Ben Shapiro and Mr. Beast to help win the war. *clap* *clap*

6. JohnFen Silver badge

Re: He’s not so bad

"You gotta give him a chance"

You're wrongly assuming that nobody here already has.

"it’s just the younger generations sense of humor."

No, it's the sense of humor of a certain subset of people (mostly young). I know plenty of young people who find him highly objectionable.

"He’s not anti-Semitic"

You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding.

7. HiImBlank

What??????

8. 10forcash

Join the ranks of Ben Shapiro and Mr. Beast to help win the war.

Who & who?

I wasn't aware there was a formal declaration of war - who are we fighting this time?

The only reason I can see for so many people 'following' the recorded meanderings of others on youtube is either morbid curiosity or hoping they capture the moment they auto-Darwinate themselves....

i have to admit to using some youtube content - the Canary singing master recordings are great for teaching our young ones to sing and (unless PETA get involved) are unlikely to be copyrighted this side of the next ELE

9. disgustedoftunbridgewells Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Oh my god, there's retards ( well, one retard with many names ) everywhere.

Paris because, well, why not.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just another day on the internet

I don't see why we're all getting wound up....

.....In this day and age, if he wants to identify as a pie then who are we to judge?

Mine's the coat with popcorn in the pockets

11. HiImBlank

Re: Just another day on the internet

Yes Indeed.

12. Chris King Silver badge
    Coat

But I don't want to be a pie...

I don't like gravy !

(Lawyers for Aardman Animation on line one)

13. HiImBlank

StOoP HaTiNg!!! (Mad Emoji, Mad Emoji, Mad Emoji)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018