back to article Shocker: UK smart meter rollout is crap, late and £500m over budget

Parliamentarians are set to haul civil servants in for a grilling after the National Audit Office (NAO) confirmed the UK will miss its 2020 smart meter rollout target, piling an extra £500m onto the cost of the £11bn project. The NAO said in a report issued this morning: “The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial …

Page:

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Not so smart!

Smart meters are for "demand-side management".

In order to reduce the cost of standby generation for intermittent renewables, the idea is to modulate down demand in times of low supply.

Some of this will be by paying industry to shut down. Yes really.

But the other side of it is to cut domestic usage. In other countries, "load shedding" is used, i.e., power cuts.

That's not politically tenable here yet, so instead there will just be variable pricing. We will implement our own power cut when the smart-meter-display-thingy tells us we are paying £5/kWh.

This has been quietly admitted in certain quarters.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"In other countries, "load shedding" is used, i.e., power cuts."

Interruptible tariffs (cheaper energy for large users who are prepared to reduce demand at relatively short notice) have been used in the UK for quite a while too, for gas as well as electricity, just not on a domestic basis.

When demand menagement via interruptible tariffs and voltage reductions was insufficient, there wasn't much option except wide area load shedding via wide area disconnections.

See e.g. the day a few years ago when Longannet and Sizewell both had unplanned outages within a few minutes of each other, and there were wide-area non-selective blackouts affecting hundreds of thousands of electricity customers in various parts of the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7423169.stm

Now work out what smart meters with a remotely addressable off switch might bring to the table.

Rather more recently, in 2016 for example, Eggborough was asking for £2500 per MWh because there was a likelihood that demand would come close to exceeding supply. (Normally, £50 per MWh would be more typical ).

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/eggborough-power-station-wins-12-month-reprieve-1-7723522

2. Neil 44

A number of years ago I had a tangential involvement with the communication to smart meters....

One scenario the were looking at was the control of a second output from the meter that could be turned off remotely. The idea being that a house could have non-critical circuits connected to that output so that they could be turned off for a short period to cover for spikes in demand (the "make a cuppa in the ad-break in Corrie" scenario). The sort of things that might be connected to that output would be the immersion or other forms of heating where you wouldn't miss it for the duration of an ad-break...

The idea was a discounted tariff if you used the 2nd output as you would be "load shedding" when required.

Not having a smart meter, I don't know if these second terminals have been implemented!

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Not having a smart meter, I don't know if these second terminals have been implemented!

Yes. It's called 'Economy 7' and was implemented many years ago. For kind of the reverse problem. We built a bunch of nuclear power stations that just love running at peak power 24x7 and aren't all that turn-on-and-offable. So then what to do to sink power during off-peak periods. Solution, a simple radio teleswitch, Radio 4 and a 'clunk' at 2330 when the relay turns on stuff connected to the Economy 7 spur.

Which is part of the stupidity. There's a need for load shedding and load sinking, so if there's too much power, then turning on a bunch of water or brick storage heaters is a way to use it. Instead, wind farmers get given millions in constraint payments to not dispatch power to the grid.

1. Adrian 4

A writer to the IET's magazine recently suggested using the mains frequency to indicate load. Excellent idea. You could even use it to indicate cost as well, thereby allowing every appliance to choose the appropriate cost/benefit threshold.

Done as a percentage of total cycles per 24 hours, it could even retain the ancient standard of maintaining the day-to-day accuracy of wall clocks, all with a $1 microcontroller counting the 20ms period instead of mobile network capacity.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"A writer to the IET's magazine recently suggested using the mains frequency to indicate load. Excellent idea."

Sort of.

The principle is well known, the instantaneous grid frequency's deviation from 50Hz (in the UK) indicates whether there is a short term imbalance between demand and supply. Under 50Hz => need more supply (or less demand). Over 50Hz => need less supply (or more demand). The bigger the deviation in frequency, the bigger the mismatch in supply and demand. See also: balancing services and Short Term Operating Reserve.

This is only an indirect indicator of price, but it's an indicator which is already readily available across the UK, to every grid-connected customer and appliance.

Have a look at e.g.http://www.dynamicdemand.co.uk - last updated 2009 :( Other similar concepts have been described and provided no profitable corporate opportunities so haven't happened in any meaningful way.

Also have a look at

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

(a cold Friday evening, demand 44GW, two thirds of which is being supplied from fossil fuels - gas (23GW) and coal (8GW!). Nuclear as usual at around 7GW).

Good to see the IET and in particular the IET magazine continues its record of professional irrelevance. I'll be an ex-member come the end of the year, having been a member of the IEE for many years previously when the IEE was actually a plausible learned society and source of Continuing Professional Development.

2. Steve K

aren't all that turn-on-and-offable.

Was that a reference to the “creature comforts” animated ads by Aardman?

Well done Sir/Madam!

1. Jemma

Nah.. They won't be getting a grilling..

Cos the government can't afford to pay the bills as it is.

Here's a better method.

Roll out a program that subsidises 1st purchase of LED bulbs

Roll out a program that *insists* that all new sold equipment uses said bulbs (just one bulb reduced my fridges light use from 15w to 3.3w).

Roll out a program that states all vehicles will use BA15S/D and relevant standard style led bulbs from now on in their standard sockets (you can get these even for positive earth cars) - 7" sealed beam headlights incand > LED equals a 40% power saving. Save time gaining the safety and energy benefits *and* stop companies like Bavarian Nazi Wankers & the monkey gassing VW (what is it with Germans & gas chambers anyway?) etc al charging drivers £800 for a frigging tail light. And yes, they'll even work in an Austin 7 Ruby - it's hardly rocket science.

Call in and retrofit all petrol and diesel cars with engine preheaters and have the relevant hardened sockets fitted where needed. 20-28% saving on fuel - saving on wear - saving on electrical power. A sump heater is 4p an hour on mains electric.

All homes fitted with storage style electric heating refitted with modern equipment (and if possible the cretins who came up with those little gems, identified, located, and shot at dawn as a warning to others)

All in-duh-viduals claiming that hydrogen, electric etc don't pollute, are clean etc, to be summarily sterilised (lest the evil persist) ditto anti-vaxxers & flat-earthers while the kits on hire. Three dumbasses with one scalpel as it were.

Investigation in to the benefit of light coloured buildings regarding internal temperatures & summer energy use. Actually I'll save you the trouble - a light colour reduces interior temperature of cars/buildings by anything up to 25%.

I could go on.. the gains that could be made are astronomical just by using current technologies in current systems. Slapping twatometers on people's supplies and punishing them for living their lives is ludicrous when there are easier benefits to be had... Talk about low hanging fruit - in comparison a chihuahuas testicles would be a stretch.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nah.. They won't be getting a grilling..

"Investigation in to the benefit of light coloured buildings regarding internal temperatures & summer energy use.

UK homes are rarely air-conditioned. So an external heat contribution in the winter is useful. Keeping a house cool in a UK summer is achieved by sun-facing window shading and through ventilation.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"just one bulb reduced my fridges light use from 15w to 3.3w"

The biggest consumption in fridge/freezers is the motors. Strategies like keeping the freezer full - even with added blocks of newspaper - will cut down that consumption.

1. Jemma

To reply to both of you ACs.

I have an unpainted flat and my neighbours in the same block is painted cream/white. Interior temperature in mine at 3am during the hot spell? 32c with windows open, I had to put desert snakes and large lizard (male Tegu) in a lukewarm bath to cool off because they were showing signs of heat agitation.

The temperature in the next door flat at the same time? 26c.

You were saying?

As to the fridge - it was a cheap replacement - creates less heat than an incandescent and reduces that functions power use by 5x, 6000k frequency light is actually helpful to the eyes (it's the reason why you get better vision with LEDS because it's closer to the daylight wavelength than incandescents (2700k or so). Yes you are entirely correct that the main load is from the pump - however every little efficiency helps.

In the summer my energy usage with all LEDS - remote sockets & pir lights/remote control lights is less than 60% of a normal flat - it's less than that if it's a hot summer and I can shut down *all* the heat mats for the reptiles.

2. Anna Logg

OK just doing this in my head but assuming 15 mins. fridge door opening per day that bulb swap saves about 25p per year.

3. Stoneshop

The biggest consumption in fridge/freezers is the motors. Strategies like keeping the freezer full - even with added blocks of newspaper - will cut down that consumption.

My freezer, when opened, presents me with a column of closed drawer fronts, so there's very little cold air wafting out. And it beeps at me when I have the door open for longer than (a minute I think).

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"The biggest consumption in fridge/freezers is the motors. Strategies like keeping the freezer full - even with added blocks of newspaper - will cut down that consumption."

I fill the empty spaces with the plastic food tubs used for storing the chilled or frozen curries, chillies, stews, soups etc. when they are waiting to be used for the next batch. Freezer AND fridge. Also easily removed and nested when other stuff need to go in there.

5. stewgreen

Ha are you testing us ?

The bulb is only on when the fridge door is open

your saving is 12W times very little time

say 2 mins/day 700/year = 11.5hours

1200W would cost you 15p/hr so 12W costs you 0.15p/hr

That changed has saves you 11.5*0.15p/hr =2p per year

3. I am the liquor

Re: just one bulb reduced my fridges light use from 15w to 3.3w

I reduced my fridge's light use to 0W by shutting the door.

1. quxinot

>I reduced my fridge's light use to 0W by shutting the door.<

ow do you know the light goes out when you shut the fridge door?

I mean, that's a difficult to measure metric to ensure that you're saving 3.3w!

1. Steve K

Easy - drill a hole in the door.

(C) Viz letterbocks 1988 or thereabouts

4. Tom 7

No - do not subsidise LED light bulbs. As far as I can work out* the 20 or so LED light bulbs in my house are costing me about 6 times the cost of electricity they save in replacement - they simply dont last anywhere as long as they claim.

1. Jemma

Well, that's strange - I'm still using two PIR LED 6w bulbs I bought in 2008 and most have lasted 5 years or more, through a house move too. I don't spend stupid money on them either - cheapies from Amazon. I think it depends on how clean the power supply is and whether lights and sockets are on a separate circuit. A neighbour has LEDs blow all the time but the wiring in that flat is suspect to say the least.

I can't use halogens anyway because my pets *hate* them - current thinking is they hurt their eyes. I wouldn't go back to incandescent bulbs when I can light the whole place for less energy than a single 60w bulb.

I guess YMMV applies.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

I play around with hobby electronics and have made things like 100w LED torches, and combat usable LED lightsabers. You learn something about LED's along the way.

An LED lamp is a combination of these components:-

1) The LED chip aka the diode.

2) The heat sink

3) The power supply

The LED chip itself is rated to last ~50,000 hours in service. Left running for 24 hours a day 7 days a week, this should be 5.7 years per unit. Nobody leaves their lights on all day, and the bulbs don't last 6 years, let alone a multiple of this allowing for the fact that most people don't run their bulbs in daylight and so use them for far less than 50% of the time Wonder why?

An LED gets quite hot. As it gets hot, the resistance drops. As the resistance drops, the LED draws more current and gets hotter. This becomes a death spiral if uncorrected. This is corrected in two ways. Firstly, dump the heat. My 100w torches actually use a full CPU cooler, including the fan. Most commercially available bulbs do not have a decent heat sink, and are mounted by the end user in such a way as to preclude any airflow which drastically reduces the expected in service life.

Second is the power supply. You need a controller current power supply to prevent the LED from drawing more than the designed current and cooking itself. Some don't have anything at all here.

I'm not sure if this is a cock up or a conspiracy. Probably a bit of both, fixing of the light bulb market is not a new thing.

Also; with regards to your earlier post painting the walls or not doesn't do anything and an external factor is in play. Your next door neighbor probably benefits from a drug gang having the flat underneath fitted as a grow room for drugs and the heat is coming in through the floor. The paint on the walls is not the cause.

1. Paul Shirley

An LED lamp is a combination of these components:-

1) The LED chip aka the diode.

2) The heat sink

3) The power supply

I'm looking forward to finding out how long my filament LED lamps last. They dispense with the heat sink relying on convection to cool the suspended strings of LEDs. Helium filled ones are claimed to have better cooling than old style heatsinks, it's believable even in plain air they do well enough. The 7W bulb above me is just warm to the touch right now after hours on.

They also need much simpler power circuits to feed those serially wired LED strings, in theory you could even run them off mains voltage with just a bridge rectifier. A simpler, cooler PSU is guaranteed to improve lifespan.

I bought them to replace CF bulbs because they look good, after rejecting fugly old LEDs for years, if the reliability claims pan out that's a massive bonus and potentially will become a much cheaper LED bulb because of the simplicity.

2. Stoneshop

they simply dont last anywhere as long as they claim.

We've bought a bunch of them at IKEA[0][1], various wattages and both dimmable and not, and none have failed in over at least three years; a number are approaching five, and I can probably locate two or three that were fitted when we moved in seven years ago.

[0] Cheap enough that I can't be arsed to look for even cheaper ones. That might come with probably higher failure rates anyway.

[1] Hex key not needed, therefore not included.

3. John 48

"the 20 or so LED light bulbs in my house are costing me about 6 times the cost of electricity they save in replacement - they simply dont last anywhere as long as they claim"

One of the afflictions of being an engineer is knowing what a kWh is, and having the ability to do complicated things like, erm, basic arithmetic…

So let’s see how plausible this all is:

First let’s assume your LED lamps are really crap, not only do they not last the 10’s of thousands of hours promised, yours only last as long as a bog standard filament lamp – say 1000 hours. So you have replaced your 60W with a 6W LED. Your 60W lamp used 1kWh of energy in 1000/60 = 16.67 hours. So in its 1000 hour life, that is 1000/16.67 = 60 kWh of electricity. If you pay 23p per kWh, that’s £13.80. Let’s include the cost of the lamp and round it up to £14.

Your LED will use a tenth of the electricity, so £1.38, and let’s say you paid top money for the poor quality lamp at £5. Brings the total cost to £6.38. So best case, your claim seems to be about 12 x out!

Note also that was an overly pessimistic calculation. In reality you may be paying a bit more for electricity, the LED was probably cheaper than £5, and it will likely do at least 3000 – 5000 hours even if not the full amount promised on the box. That could bring the savings up quite a bit, at 5k hours: old style lamps use £69 quid of lekky, plus a quids worth in lamps, so £70. LED £6.90 of lekky, and a more realistic £3 of lamp – call it £10, and 4 fewer bulb changes.

1. MonkeyCee

Every lightbulb is better than a filament one. Unless you''ve got some dodgy wiring.

Compare a CFL to the LED. They are about a euro here, for a 1200 lumen jobby @ 20 watts, so roughly a 100W equivalent. So about 5.60 by your math, assuming 1k hours (they are rated for 5k IIRC) compared to 6.40 for the LED.

The other issue is you're loading all your cost up front.

Personally I've only using home lighting LEDS in lamps and replacing halogen bulbs, which is a no-brainer. The LEDs cost the same as halogen bulbs and are better in every respect....

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"the 20 or so LED light bulbs in my house are costing me about 6 times the cost of electricity they save in replacement - they simply dont last anywhere as long as they claim."

Really? Maybe it's the brand. I replaced all my bolbs with LED about 5 years ago. None have failed in that time. So far, fingers crossed.

2. Tezfair

I suspect that when smart meters were first considered, the old filament bulbs were the normal hence high consumption. My house today is all LEDs, not even halogen or CFLs so the overall consumption will be considerablly less. I don't need a meter to tell me that 100w filament uses more than 9w LED.

Moreover, the old whirly meters tended to be 10% in our favour, so a more accurate meter will mean our bills would go up.

1. StewartWhite

It's not just a matter of the old style meters being a few % in our favour, plenty of the SMETS meters have been found to over-record usage by considerable amounts (but v rarely the opposite, i.e. in the customer's favour). See https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/six-reasons-say-no-smart-meter/ for some further interesting reasons as to why they're such a bad idea.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"[...] SMETS meters have been found to over-record usage by considerable amounts"

The electricity supplier decided my mechanical meter had reached the end of its planned life and fitted a replacement***. This has an LCD display but is not a Smart Meter. Would it have basically the same transducer mechanism/algorithm as a Smart Meter?

One of my major uses of electricity has been running the big PC for some processing that can take at least a day every week. This year I stopped doing it. It was a surprise when the "same quarter" consumption comparison from the supplier says I have used significantly more electricity this year.

***a few months after the replacement they told me to make an appointment for fitting a Smart Meter as the current meter was "past its planned life". I pointed out they had fitted a new one recently - and they went quiet. None of Eon's attempts to get me to have a Smart Meter have ever indicated that it is voluntary.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Moreover, the old whirly meters tended to be 10% in our favour, so a more accurate meter will mean our bills would go up.

It is debatable whether "classic" meters as the industry terms them average anything like that inaccuracy across the portfolio, but since they're only used to divide up total system costs, if we all change to a new meter that consistently reads 10% more or 10% less for everybody it would't change your bill.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What could possibly go wrong?

So what's in store for us with this latest exciting 'innovation'

- Two way data direction. Allows the supply to be controlled if required.

- Peak pricing. So when you need electricity or gas the most, the price is at maximum. And reduced ever so slightly at the times when you use it least. Yep, let's put the Christmas turkey in at 2am in the morning. Let's cause fire risks by running the tumble dryer overnight too.

- More radio frequency energy in the home. As if it's not bad enough as it is.

- Incompatible technology. Possibly, say good bye to smart functionality when you switch suppliers.

- More expensive bills. Someones got to pay for this, and it sure isn't going to be those profiting from this.

- Questionable data security. Who knows what's going to happen with the data, who will have access to it, what security flaws are contained within. No doubt GCHQ have ensured there are back doors in it for them before they gave it their blessing. Because they have our best interests at heart don't they?

You do have the option to refuse these, despite what the suppliers try to tell you. The only exception is with smart water meters. Those are compulsory and are being rolled out. But water meters do genuinely many people money at the moment, but whether that is something that remains once these things reach critical mass, remains to be seen.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What could possibly go wrong?

" But water meters do genuinely many people money at the moment, but whether that is something that remains once these things reach critical mass, remains to be seen.

The water companies may eventually raise their unit prices and/or standing charges to raise their overall revenue to a particular level to sustain operations and profits.

A metered low consumption user will always have a lower bill than a metered neighbour with significantly higher consumption. The water company has sent me a comparison of the alternative costs for my previous six months on a meter. My metered consumption pricing was about a quarter of the normal fixed annual price.

2. Gerry 3
      Happy

You forgot remote disconnection. Smart people with dumb meters will stay warm and bright when there's not enough juice to go round.

1. Adrian 4

Smart people only need to be smarter than their meters. A smart meter that's unaccountably unable to make a useful network connection won't respond to attempts to turn it off.

1. Gerry 3
          Stop

Or just say NO.

3. PhilBuk

Smart water meters might be compulsory but not always feasible. I have a visual water meter under a cover in the pavement near the end of my drive. The guy from the water company surveyed my house before installation and I pointed out that mains water entered the house at three points. He duly took photographs of the incoming pipes as proof and they later installed a non-smart meter. Most houses on our road have the same arrangement. Smarts only work if you have one incoming main.

Phil.

4. MJI Silver badge

No thanks

Don't want one

5. WonkoTheSane
    Headmaster

Smart meters DO save money!

But not for you.

Their sole purpose is to allow energy suppliers to "streamline" their meter reading staff.

1. Tom 7

Re: Smart meters DO save money!

Given we cant get a phone signal down here neither will they!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Smart meters DO save money!

Their sole purpose is to allow energy suppliers to "streamline" their meter reading staff.

Not at all. I work for a supplier, we don't want the damn things, and the cost of manual meter readers is very, very low (say £5 per customer per year), and it will probably cost suppliers more than that on average in opex to replace failed meters or end of life batteries in the gas meters. There's a few operational benefits of not having to rely on meter readings that are both infrequent and all too often estimated, but they don't make any business case.

6. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Ca$h...

Personally, I'm affluent enough that I don't really need to worry about gas or electricity usage. I'm happy to pay for what I use. Changing a few bulbs, keeping the freezer packed or replacing existing appliances that currently work perfectly well just so I can appear to save a the £ per month that I'd probably blow on a pint down the pub anyway - really isn't going to make much of a difference. I can't see how a smart meter would change that.

This whole program is flawed. What the NAO really needs to do is to (A) start to re-examine the business case, (B) identify which civil servants had their snouts firmly in the trough when it was approved, and (C) whom in the Civil Service is currently benefiting by keeping this shambles going.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ca$h...

"Personally, I'm affluent enough that I don't really need to worry about gas or electricity usage."

So am I - but I have still made sure that my house is as efficient as reasonably possible - without causing me unavoidable discomfort. The only trick I probably missed was in not getting solar panels when the cost v feed-in rebate was good.

The savings I make help to finance my weekly and seasonal donations to the local food bank. Even there I try to avoid foods that would be difficult to cook by people with "energy poverty".

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"The only trick I probably missed was in not getting solar panels when the cost v feed-in rebate was good."

That's probably a good thing, for your conscience. The rebate was paid by the leccy companies and almost certainly financed by raising prices for all those who didn't have a convenient roof to put some subsidised panels on. A shameful case of robbing the poor to make the quiche-eating classes feel good about themselves.

1. Stoneshop

all those who didn't have a convenient roof to put some subsidised panels on.

Over here there are initiatives to let people participate in installations on other people's roofs, including public buildings.

1. Nick Kew

Over here there are initiatives to let people participate in installations on other people's roofs, including public buildings.

Here too. But the subsidies are far, far less. And yet we who don't have our own roof and so have to resort to investing in public facilities get pointed to and labelled "fat cat investors".

2. Paul Shirley

It's probable gov had a hard on for smart meters on the assumption they might be able to finally measure electricity supplied to the network instead of the blanket assumption of 50% of generation capacity. The current shower seem intent on wiping out domestic solar and it would have helped before they just nuked support from space.

Whether that's a good or bad thing I'm not going to get into, or whether the meters will ever be able to do it!

7. bigtimehustler

Even if it was the original suggestion of 23 pound, who cares? The vast amount of the population will not notice that over a year. I mean, it might buy you one bit of pick n mix a day. Remember also, thst most people make no savings as they continue to use energy the same as pre smart meter rates, some don't even have batteries in the display. So given the extra cost on their bill for the rollout they are actually worse off.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The point of SMART meters was NOT to help households, it was to do 2 things, Allow them to stop meter readers popping round to houses all the time and to try to prove that someone bypassed the meter. So far that has cost each individual in the UK (er... £200 per person). So are we all happy to spend £200 each to have electricity that can be remotely switched off and monitored and of course a little screen which tells you, you are using electricity to power the little screen? Apparently that somehow saves loads of CO2. Personally have an Electric Car, and even now I get meter reading people say to me "Your meter's not right, you can't be using 40KWH per day" in the future I'll be forced to have an app which says "You are using to much electricity, ask our Twitter Team for advice on how to use less".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Allow them to stop meter readers popping round to houses all the time and to try to prove that someone bypassed the meter."

I get a quarterly email asking me to read my meter and send it via the Eon web site - which I do promptly. On several occasions a meter reader has called a few days later and has been surprised that it is an unnecessary duplication. I wonder if my apparently frugal use of electricity compared to my multi-occupant neighbours raises a flag that something may be amiss?

9. Avatar of They
    Thumb Down

I have one from scottish power.

The battery is less than an hour (the guy told me and I have timed it.)

So I have to plug it in - so not really saving energy.

Only energy saved is the calories for me to go outside and read it then type that into a web page.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon