back to article If Shadow Home Sec Diane Abbott can be reeled in by phishers, truly no one is safe

While fraudsters traditionally prey on the gullible and feeble-minded, their wicked ways have ensnared British Labour MP Diane Abbott. The UK Shadow Home Secretary admitted to handing over control of her computer to a stranger after a random caller asked her to install Remote PC. It's a common scam. Once the miscreant has …

Silver badge

As Home Secretary – note that Ladbrokes offers 4-1 on Labour being the next government – Ms Abbott would be responsible for cybersecurity, as well as crime and policing.

Someone might want to rethink that.

Anonymous Coward

The face of the state of our political elite, this person demonstrates time and time again how low someone's IQ can actually go.

Anonymous Coward

did she double click on cor.bin?

Anonymous Coward

mounted it more like

Bronze badge

Only to eject safely right at the last minute...

Alert

Did I just log onto the wrong forum?

Ha ha, very funny. Diane Abbott (nearly) got scammed and (nearly) didn't spot it. Oh the hilarity.

Only I don't think it's very funny. These scams may be 'obvious' from the outside, but given that organised crime (which this must be) is extremely profit-focused, they must work.

The more we, as IT professionals, blame the victims for being 'thick', the more culpable we become. So, if you want a ranty political brouhaha, go head over to the Daily Mail. Otherwise how about a little advice, even if you can't manage any actual sympathy?

Starting with: Don't Panic. Find somebody you trust to take a look. Change your passwords (from a different device if possible). Talk about it - but not in a shouty, alarmist "oh gosh, we're all going to die" way.

Meh

Re: Did I just log onto the wrong forum?

I'm no particular fan of Diane Abbott but she does at least appear to have 'fessed up to the fact she screwed up. Which is more than Amber "Hashtags" Rudd ever did when it came to technology.

We can't all be experts in everything.

4-1 odds

Which, according to Dianne Abbot will yield a return of eleven and twelvety pounds per £1 stake.

Anonymous Coward

So it's not brains that Corbyn saw in her then ?

Bronze badge

Press Any key.

How do you measure someone who's is good on computers, which discipline, what standard. Is it a secret, might be, or is it public experience and money in the bank. Can you abstract the irreversible. Just yesterday's chip paper after all. Yes, B.O.S.S. I saw that one coming, could've been worse. #gammabitflipspacetimeoverflow

Silver badge

Ms Abbott would be responsible for cybersecurity, as well as crime and policing

The important thing for being in charge of anything is to understand your own limitations. The philosophy I adopt for anything that I find I have been made responsible for is...

Is this thing something which lies in my defined skill-set?

If yes, then I should be able to cope

If no, then assess how important it is, risks, impacts, etc. If it is in any way serious, then I find someone for who this thing is their bread & butter, and utilise their expertise.

Silver badge

The important thing for being in charge of anything is to understand your own limitations.

We're talking about politicians here. They firmly believe that they have no limitations, so the question of understanding doesn't apply.

Politicians are Stupid

Most politicians in EVERY nation are ultimately stupid about most technical and security issues. She seems to be another tech-illiterate.

Silver badge
Windows

Mike from Microsoft phoned us yesterday

My wife answered.

Mike: "This PC is not working correctly."

Mrs S, angry manager voice: "Which one? I have 500 here!"

Mike: "Ohhh..."

<end of call>

Alternatives would have been

"This isn't a PC, it's a phone!"

and "Couldn't you think of a better name than that?" (Mike from Microsoft had a very strong Indian accent.)

Anonymous Coward

Seriously, though, it is amazing how easy it is to socially engineer your way past any security.

My job involves going to a supermarket checkout and asking "hi, where's the staff entrance?", and being directed to it, then saying "hi, I'm here to replace your routers" whereupon I sign the visitors book and am left to my own devices with racks 'n' racks of server and networking equipment. Often after the staff say "oh, we had no idea you were coming". Today I even left my tool trolley next to the racks and asked "is there a loo I can use?" and was directed where to go.

So you're saying you pen test the bogs?

marcus 'chown'?

Is the chown a Linux joke? Owned etc...

Anonymous Coward

There is, sadly, absolutely NO requirement for politicians or judges making law to actually know WTF they are talking.

Silver badge

Waiting

Actually, I've thought of a good routine to use with these scammers, and have actually been *waiting* for one to call so I can give them my Redneck Billy-Bob routine.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018