back to article Sysadmin’s worst client was … his mother! Until his sister called for help

Welcome again to On-Call, The Register’s reader-contributed tales of tech support tension, terror and technical tragedy. This week meet “Calvin” who told us that “For many years our small family business had run on paperwork, but increasing amounts of government red tape meant we had to go digital.” “After sharpening my …

Page:

1. jake Silver badge

Dad & I ...

... started MeDearOldMum out on a dumb terminal attached to Dad's AT&T 3B1 (so-called "UNIX PC"). A simple menuing system (sh and curses are your friends) worked for her for years. Then a couple of her friends got Windows 3.x boxen ... Dad & I just shrugged and went with the flow. What followed was several years of support hell, with MDOM constantly moaning about how awful modern computers were. Finally, I installed the variation of Slackware that I built for my Wife on Mum's machine. She still had the GUI "like her friends" (fvwm then, KDE now), but the complaints magically disappeared. She's been a Slacker for over 15 years, and support calls have been pretty much non existent.[0]

My sister uses Redmond and Cupertino and constantly gripes about them. For some reason she can't believe that Slack can work, simply because it's free. Mum & Dad have stopped trying to convince her otherwise. Me, I just gently remind her that I no longer support those products when she starts bitching about them. My brothers use Slack, but they roll out their own.

[0] I have to plug in new hardware for her ... but I'd have to do that regardless of OS. She's absolutely terrified of adding anything new by herself, and won't let Dad do it.

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Re: Dad & I ...

Ooooh, reminds me of the fun I've had with Slack on an 386 yonkers ago... having to prod and poke all over the place to get TCP/IP working etc.

Was real fun :)

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Slack on an 386 yonkers ago... having to prod and poke all over the place to get TCP/IP working

It wasn't *that* hard. It can't have been because I managed to do it..

(My first PC was a 386sx25. Came with DOS 5 and I migrated it to OS/2 eventually. Once I'd bought my *MASSIVE* 330mb ESDI drive (and the interface card for it) at a computer fair I was able to dual-boot between OS/2 and linux (slackware 0.99pl15).

And, after trawling through the Demon internet FTP site, I managed to grab details on how to implement PPP dial-on-demand and set up sendmail.

Those were the days - when I could stay up to 3am working on setting things up and still manage to get up for work at 7am. If I tried that now I'd probably end up hospitalised..

Ahhh, those were the days... OS/2 and Slack... fun!

2. ' DROP TABLE users;
    Windows

All these years later

Is she still looking for the "Any" key?

1. Dr.Sommer

Re: All these years later

In such cases it really help to use a permanent marker to correct one of the CRTL keys as such :-)

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This call may be recorded for training and security reasons.

Blame El Reg; they re-wrote my story and changed my name "to protect the innocent".

Either that, or they know how scary both my mum AND sister can be when roused.

I now have a step-dad who is equally hard work when it comes to computers; he decided to clean their PC today; and been in and out asking for help ever since; with each visit revealing more PEBCAK behaviour.

I'll have to go around and replace some broken parts in the morning, and hope he hasnt cooked the cpu.

I'm taking a lot of spares with me....... just in case he tried another fix before I get there.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: This call may be recorded for training and security reasons.

Well, I went around and replaced the cpu (90+C probably didnt do the old one any good, and it was so old, a Furby is more powerful); managed to clean and refit the cpu cooler; although I hate those crappy plastic lug things and will get a proper metal with back-plate job to fit.

On switch on, it all made a really horrible noise; lying it on its side had disturbed all the gunk in the psu, and it had clogged up the psu cooling fan; a quick vacuum and.....

It works, the new, faster cpu gets boot up time down below a minute, and a stress test shows the (2) cores not exceeding 45C, so the crappy old Intel cooler is just about managing, and not too loud at 100% rpm.

Next job is sorting out the SIX outbound malware warnings that occurred during the burn test. MWB says the machine is clean, but.................

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can I recommned

something like DeepFreeze for the really tech illiterate for those that need to use Windows. It's a wonderful life saver.

I used to use SteadyState on XP, but alas, they couldn't be arsed to create it for 7/8/10/

5. Chris King

Don't tell my mother I work with computers...

...she thinks I play the piano in a brothel.

Who else has to lie about their job to avoid being "free unlimited tech support forever ?"

1. Old69

Re: Don't tell my mother I work with computers...

"...she thinks I play the piano in a brothel."

Is she expecting you to be the new Brahms?

1. hammarbtyp
        Joke

"Is she expecting you to be the new Brahms?"

No, but they are often Liszt....

1. onefang

So now, instead of expecting you to fix her computer, she expects you to entertain her with some brilliant piano playing.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Worse than a mum

My job, ( the main non-IT part, which is important in this incident) meant going into schools to talk to the Special needs staff. One day, not too many years ago. I had a 10:00 appointment, arrived punctually at the Coordinator's office and was told, very grumpily to wait outside. Which I did, for ten minutes. There was a sound of typing. Then printing. Then I was allowed in.

She explained that she had to finish typing a report and printing it so that she could turn the computer off, before she let me in, because it was confidential. I must have looked puzzled ( or cross or both) because she explained that every time she got interrupted for a meeting or because she needed to leave her office she had to turn off the computer if there was anything confidential she was typing, and lose all her work. So I asked if it was not saving. And she told me that she didn't know how to save. So she wasted vast amounts of time retyping documents whenever she got interrupted. I didn't offer to help her - I was being paid to be a Special Needs Expert in that role, not an IT coordinator. And she was in a school chock full of people she could have asked. Fellow teachers, the school's IT guy, the admin staff - and most of the kids come to that. I still shudder to speculate at how much of her valuable time was wasted retyping documents instead of helping kids.

Re: Worse than a mum

/inserts wat granny meme here

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In our IT network department I was surprised how many of my colleagues didn't know you could hibernate Windows XP on their laptops for a quick shutdown/start when moving location.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

you could hibernate Windows XP on their laptops for a quick shutdown/start

My current Win7 work laptop bluescreens if you try that. Or loses the group policies relating to the corporate wifi.

Or just sits and sulks until you turn it off.

I think it needs some quiet time alone with a build USB stick.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
          Happy

Or a 5th floor window and handily in-range skip...

3. Muscleguy

Or she could just have turned the monitor off or put it sleep or activated the screensaver (with login required to wake from it). So many solutions.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"So many solutions."

None of whichare going to occur to someone who doesn't even know how to save a document.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"None of whichare going to occur to someone who doesn't even know how to save a document."

It sounds more like she didn't know you can save a document, and therefore didn't know she even had a question to ask let alone who to ask.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I want a nailed-down-by-default

VM image that kids can't tamper with too much. Noted there are some "kid" Linux distro's but never looked yet. That could be a good option (no flames as I really have never installed one to take a peek).

All sorts of talk about family though, even doctors can be this bad with technology, resulting in mess that can be hard to distinguish from their handwriting...

1. jake Silver badge

Re: I want a nailed-down-by-default

Three groups I refuse to do IT work for, in any capacity:

Doctors, Lawyers and Politicians.

Life's too short, I have better things to do with my time.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah gods, I've done two of those. Haven't had a case of lawyers yet.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Doctors, Lawyers and Politicians.

Life's too short"

It could be even shorter if your doctor's IT isn't working.

1. onefang

"Doctors, Lawyers and Politicians."

I've had both extremes with doctors.

My current doctor, until recently the only non medical technology in the office was the fax machine, now they have computers.

An old doctor, on my first visit to him, we quickly dealt with what ever medical problem I was visiting him about, then spent an hour chatting about the technical intricacies of the Ubuntu server he had installed by himself in his office. It was friendly geek chat, not "how do I fix this?".

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Doctors, Lawyers and Politicians."

I learned in horror that Doctors, Lawyers and Politician use Windows 10, and Micro-shaft is slurping our personal data from their Work-PCs. (and they use non AD-managed Windows 10 Home or Pro, so all spyware and automatic updates are active, and all data all documents scanned by Defender and incl microphone and keylogging is slurped!) Like Facebook, but 150% more horror: When will Senators, Congress and the EU go after the privacy scandal that is Windows 10, when will the Indian born Micro-shaft CEO face jail time?

2. Lilolefrostback

I usually tell friends to buy a separate computer for their kids and do not give the kids the password to the parents' computer. And to warn the kids that even dreaming of touching the parents' computer would result in a six-month suspension of smart-phone privileges.

If your computer matters to you, do not allow kids to use it. They are far too brave.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Like the bootnote, I learnt something new!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Haha. Over the years on PCW Tech Support I've heard many names for the computer

Modem was a favourite, but also The Internet, Power Supply, Hard Disc, CPU, Driver, or Disc Drive. Most of which are highly confusing when reporting a fault - "the hard disk won't turn on" etc. What?

Or they'd refer to it as what was written on the front - "my Pulsar is dead" for example. One lady was insistant she had a "Twenty-Four-Ex" model computer - it was a totally blank fascia with just the "24x" written on the CD-ROM drive.

Once had a call from someone who complained they kept losing their work because the machine would reboot when he walked away. Much diagnostics later (including having him keep walking away from the PC in case it was a lose cable moved by his desk or something) and he mentioned something about a sleep button. These don't have sleep buttons.... "Well it says REST on it, which is like sleep".

So he's found the Reset button then, that's good. Someone had told him about putting the computer to sleep and theirs had a suspend button on the front, as was the trend in the late 90s. Squiffy eyesight meant REST was the nearest thing he could find.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My sister picked up the word 'puter from somewhere - probably an AOL social gardening forum.

1. Justin Case
        Flame

She may be your sister, but...

>>>My sister picked up the word 'puter from somewhere

That just drives me mad. Worse than errant apostrophes. Willful arrogant ingorance.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: She may be your sister, but...

"That just drives me mad."

Another commentard has probably correctly written it as a neologism of "pooter". Not really any different from the evolutionary shortening of "omnibus" to "bus" - or "telephone" to "phone".

Languages change over time - especially English. Once a concept becomes established then the descriptive words often become abbreviated in the appropriate context.

Language is the relatively efficient tokenising of shared concepts in speech or symbols - whose etymology may not be apparent.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Squiffy eyesight it may be for misreading RESET as rest. However, I bet that's because it was etched/embossed onto a beige (now black) PC case with no attempt to bother with contrasting colours. Or any reasonable font size.

Got asked by HP the other day for the serial number of our duff printer. God Bless smartphones! Could just shove that down the back and take a photo, then enlarge it - and get something readable. It used to be a torch, a magnifying glass and lots of swearing sorting the cables out to pull the unit far enough out that you could get even some access.

"Could just shove that down the back and take a photo, then enlarge it - and get something readable."

Our gas service man tried that with the pilot assembly the other day. Still couldn't read it and went to get his torch. Took my glasses off (short sight) and found it perfectly readable by Mk 1 eyeball. Sometimes you can go over the top with technology.

10. Geekpride

I'm now much more grateful for my parents. They don't fully embrace computers, but don't get themselves in trouble with them. The main use of their laptop is looking up information on soul & Motown discos, holiday destinations and things like that. The only quirk is that they will text me to tell me they've sent me an email - they seem to think it might get lost in the post.

Peculiarly, my mum has embraced text speak, but nobody else in the family does, so I've got no idea where she's picked it up from. It's quite amusing to get messages along the lines of "Hope u r OK. Will we c u soon? Know u have ur own plans but would be good to c u. xoxo"

"Peculiarly, my mum has embraced text speak"

Rather like SiL. Back in the days when I had a Nokia Communicator (full but minuscule keyboard) I made a point of sending replies which were not only in regular English but also had upper and lower case as appropriate and punctuation.

2. peter_dtm

That’s telegraphese

Long before txt spk was invented we had telegraphese or telex (tlx) or morse or shorthand.

Nrmly done by drpng vowels

Important as tlgrms charged by the ltr & usng no vwls cud save a fortne

Nw fangld txt spk is less obvs & cn b v obscr

There was life before txt, complx rich & jst as bzar

11. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Users ticking the "use proxy" for FTP check box, and then wondering why FTP delivery is not working... GAH.

It is a tick box and it must be ticked for some "speshul funkshun" to work, right. Right??

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There are two types of family members:

- Those that want to use you and appear friendly while feeling nothing but contempt for a techie idiot.

- Those that use Chromebooks and phones & tablets.

The trick is to move the family to b and prevent them landing on a.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Those that use Chromebooks and phones & tablets."

Several of my friends have gone down that route. Which means a steep learning curve for me when they ring up in a panic because something has stopped working.

The latest was: "Norton won't install on my daughter's laptop". Some questioning finally teased out the information that it was a replacement laptop her boyfriend had bought her. It was made by Google. It was a ChromeBook - which apparently has its own antivirus system.

The Apple ones are predicable - to which the answer is "They don't have a usb port - or headphone socket".

1. peter_dtm

Obsolescence : free with chrome/Windows/Android

The Apple ones are predicable - to which the answer is "They don't have a usb port - or headphone socket".

To which the reply is

For the jack socket : Why do you want 19th century technology on your nice modern kit ?

As for the USB port, what do you need that for ? I actually have a USB to lightening memory stick. Can’t remember when I last needed it though, files, Dropbox, OneDrive. Airdrop. Email, iMessage etc etc etc all just work.

1. Gordon JC Pearce

Re: Obsolescence : free with chrome/Windows/Android

> For the jack socket : Why do you want 19th century technology on your nice modern kit ?

How do I attach my headphones then?

13. hammarbtyp

Decided that I wanted to get my dad online. Built a PC from him and gave it to him for Christmas.

Came over set it up and showed him how to use it.

Cam back 3 weeks later, and asked whether he had used it "No he said, I didn't want to turn it on in case i broke it"

As far as I know he never used it and 5 years later I found it hidden under a ton of other stuff when clearing his house out

There was also the time when he bought a digital camera even though he had no way of uploading the photos..

14. FatGerman

Tech is not elderly-friendly

Both my parents, now getting on a bit, have Macbooks. Both of them like the '3 finger drag' gesture because they can move things around one handed, and it must be good because they've actually remembered it, unlike the screen zoom or two-fingers to right click, or.. I could go on.

Anyway, the problem is that, with their now shaky hands and reduced motor control, just moving the pointer around the screen often results in 3 finger dragging happening unintentionally and unobserved. 'I've lost an email folder!' is the latest one - yes, you've accidentally dragged it onto another one. Again...

Bless 'em

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Tech is not elderly-friendly

My reading glasses are 5x magnification. And focus at about 8 inches from my head. I can read either the screen or the keyboard, but not both. Which is fine - I can touch type.

Until I come to use a fucking laptop, with the fucking trackpad that's 2mm from the fucking spacebar and has all the fucking keys in the wrong fucking positions so the fucking cursor runs away every time you fucking hit space and randomly types the end of words in the wrong box.

And breathe...

Can you tell I was fixing someone's laptop today? Me I like desktops. or well designed laptops with well placed trackpads. Or, in an ideal world, my old HP laptop that had a big blue button that turned the trackpad off, and then turned red so you knew you'd done it. Then plug a mouse in.

1. Stevie

Re:Until I come to use a fucking laptop,

Try a usb Logiteck k120 keyboard.

Nice action, hard-wearing and can be had for as little as $13 when Staples, OfficeMax or Amazon have a sale.

I use one on my "lab" Dell Latitude that has all the problems you cite PLUS two sets of TP mouse buttons, one two-button aray and one three button. Type space, hit button, annoy self. Originally bought K120 for my Raspberry Pi experiments. Liked it so much, bough a second so I would have one at home, one at work.

Noticed my Mother-in-Law (who suffers all the OAP behaviours quoted in other posts) using an HP external keyboard with paper squares stuck on to type on her laptop. The keycap labels had worn off. So I bought her a K120 and job done.

1. My Alter Ego

Re: Re:Until I come to use a fucking laptop,

Seconded. We have a stack of them (and the MK120 mouse/keyboard combo) in the office.

15. Terry 6 Silver badge

Worse when they don't

My late mother bought a PC. But instead of asking me she asked a "friend"- and so called friend got her to buy a PCworld machine ( not too bad as it went) with a shit load of other crap she didn't need. Said friend then abused the machine for her own purposes. Nothing too terrible, but when I visited I spent most of a day clearing clutter, locking things down and putting an icon on the screen that said "help" and launched teamviewer.

My sister, who lives 5 minutes away got one of those scam "tech support" calls and let them into her machine.

Then, realising what she'd done took her machine to a local computer repair shop who replaced her HDD and lost all her data.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like