back to article Five things you need to know about Microsoft's looming Windows 10 Spring Creators Update

At some point next month, just in time for Spring, Microsoft will start to emit the Windows 10 Spring Creators Update to everyone's PC. Avid Reg readers will be aware of what's forthcoming for the Redmond operating system. If you're just tuning in, well, see the aforementioned link, and strap in for these highlights. When the …

Anonymous Coward

Re: Chromebooks

and think of all that lovely data you are sending to Google each and every day.

After the recent FB scandal, I would have hoped that people would really think long and hard about what they do in the internet... but it seems not. Sigh.

I deleted my FB and Google accounts on Tuesday. I decided that their slurping of me was done forever.

Rebuilt my Laptop (fresh CentOS install) after changing the MAC addresss of the WiFi device, called it a different name and use a totally different username.

Silver badge

That is the price tag, yes. But at least Chrome OS works almost flawlessly on any halfway decent device, which start from less than £200.

The problem with Windows is that it is now even more complex than it ever was, barely more reliable, often requires technical intervention, its self maintenance and security are shit, it appears to bleed as much data as Chrome OS, and I have to pay for this privilege.

So all things considered, the Googleprice is not relevant for Chrome versus Windows. If you're contemplating a full fat Linux machine, then yes, the Googleprice is an additional cost, but equally you may need to be a bit of a geek to get everything set up and configured.

Anonymous Coward

If you're doing the same thing using Windows, the same data will be sent.

However, with Windows you're also sending data to Microsoft, about what you're actually doing on your "personal" computer.

Not to mention you've got 1 core devoted to anti-malware, data-plan destroying updates that present themselves at the most awkward times making your computer unusable, and whatever else you need to tweak, remove, or download to get the computer in an as usable state as you can.

No brainer.

Silver badge

Yep.

We saved almost a thousand pounds and our data goes to google not MS.

What was your point again? The choices are either not use computers, or have your data go *somewhere*. I suspect an air-gapped linux PC of some sort wouldn't really fit most peoples' requirement for a computer.

Otherwise it would have been a windows 10 machine so google *and* MS would have got "our data".

We went with a 299 quid gamble (because it was the touchscreen one with the slightly better screen) that paid off considering the laptops we were looking at were in the 700-1200 quid range.

Silver badge

That is the price tag, yes. But at least Chrome OS works almost flawlessly on any halfway decent device, which start from less than £200.

I bought a low-end Windows laptop just after Christmas for $180 US, and immediately cleansed it of its Windows 10 infection. It's running Mint now, and it's pretty close to your description of "almost flawlessly" (almost because nothing ever is really flawless. It never crashes, everything works, it's fast enough to be used by a reasonable person who does not have the patience of Job, etc). Also, no slurping, and I don't have to use Chrome. It's kind of like a Chromebook where I get to use Waterfox with all of my addons and without telemetry!

It's not the fastest laptop... it's not even MY fastest laptop (and my other one is a 9 year old C2D). The new one does, though, have long battery life, and it was cheap-- the two things I was going for. Really, this thing should not have ever been sold as a Windows unit, as its onboard storage is definitely Chromebook-spec at 32GB (too small to even install Win 10 1709, by some accounts), but the good part of that is that it has a regular PC UEFI and not the Chromebook specialty firmware, which makes it really easy to install whatever I want.

As for the MS tax... it must have been offset by the crapware that came on it, as it is definitely priced in the range of similar-spec Chromebooks.

Silver badge

As per Ledswinger, that is the price for their free services, Android, and additional for ChromeOS. I've been with them since their beginning, so they know most of what I do. However, Google is a very jelous guardian of their data. What they do share are a code for particular advertising targeting. Takes about an hour online, or five seconds looking around my room, and you can come to the conclusion that I'm into computer hardware. Hell, just searching the web from that beginning will turn that up. I predate that by a couple of decades too. [I did quite a bit of work developing those monstrous web pages for CompuServe back in the '90's. Not proud of it, they are atrocious. It was by direction.]

I hardly use my Windows laptop here and it's about to get switched to BSD in a few days. I've two Android tablets, one of which is my portable machine. Most all of my work online is done on a Fusion5 tablet connected to a gaming keyboard and mouse and a 30" WQXGA display. Works a treat.

Silver badge
Meh

Things to be thankful for.. (or for which to be thankful)

-Windows 10 Enterprise doesn't get such nonsense unless you let it happen

-Linux is free and good

-Craft beer

This post has been deleted by its author

WTF?

Advice?

"Our advice? Hold off as long as possible until the initial bugs are ironed out, and the exact feature list is cemented in forever." *

There you go.

Fixed it for you.

Cheers.

* Can't believe that after all that has happened in the past few years (~ 20+), using Windows whatever is still something to be discussed and/or talked about.

Silver badge

GNU/Linux

Been using it for a couple of years*, and I can say with complete certainty that Windows 10 is not offering enough to cause me to go over to Windows.

* A couple of years being since 2003.

Silver badge

Re: GNU/Linux

A couple of years being since 2003.

Pah. Newbie.

(My first linux box used pre-v1 slackware. Doing dial-on-demand to Demon Internet[1] over the blazing speed of a 14.4k modem)

[1] Picked because they had lots of FAQs about how to set up sendmail[2] and fetchnews as well as how to slip/ppp and dial-on-demand. Dropped many years later because the techie nature of the place had utterly disappeared after their borging by Thus.

[2] Quickly superceded by qmail/exmlm-idx. Which required a different mindset but Just Worked. As opposed to sendmail which Only Just Worked..

Silver badge

Re: GNU/Linux

Ah memories, another Demon user back in the early days of squawking modems & little choice of ISP, and if you had a technical issue you could quite likely have Cliff talking you through it.

I too ditched them as they went downhill with takeover, removing key (to me) functionality & reliability plummeting

N2
Trollface

Windows creators fuck up will...

1. Take at least 30 minutes to install

2. Feature 'improvements' of little if any real use.

3. Open the doors to everyone nearby.

4. Forces you to use their cruftware browser.

5. Better to keep tight lipped on this one.

</Troll>

Trollface

According to the poll, around 33% intend to have Linux on their next PC, this really WILL be the year of the Linux desktop!!

Anonymous Coward

Don't be silly.

The number of technically competent people who want more out of their computers is very low..

Silver badge

Win 10 replaced by Mint

On parent's PC as (surprise, surprise) it was getting continually bricked by failed updates.

..Bricked as in totally unusable

So now they can do basic email / web / "video" watching / printing / scanning / basic document, photo / image edits, activities (about all they use a PC for) on an OS that just chugs along without randomly breaking on updates.

As per chrome book mentions (& others using tablets) - for "basic" stuff any device / OS will do the job.

Thus the "I must have windows only" market shrinks to need for certian software be it games, CAD, accounts or whatever.

Silver badge

Re: Win 10 replaced by Mint

Exactly. If there replacements for 2 programs I need, I would never use Windows at home again.

Anonymous Coward

"The number of technically competent people who want more out of their computers is very low.."

And about 90% of those run Windows 10

Silver badge

No love for FreeBSD?

I use a mixture of OS - won't be stopping using Windows any time soon, although I'm rather irritated that one home install has managed to trash itself and insist my graphics cards are broken (they are not).

Timeline (aka 'recent documents') sounds like a decent idea, but I'm not fond of the rolling upgrades or the loss of control Windows 10 involves. 8 and prior versions on the other hand, just keep on trucking.

My main system is a combination of Xen, FreeBSD, and Windows. However it currently needs a bit of attention, so a lot of the time I'm booting up my OpenBSD systems. To be honest it does 95% of what I want (web browsing, word processing, spreadsheets, some development), and there are consoles and retro PCs for gaming, etc. The modern system is needed for VR, high end virtualisation, and recent PC games though..

I do like OpenBSD, but I'm not blind to its shortcomings. Binary compatibility doesn't exist. Emulation is less than wonderful (Linux subsystem dropped, no WINE, no Virtualbox or accelerated qemu). Graphics card support is dated and there's no manufacturer driver (closed source) support. No bluetooth, firewire, 802.11ac (802.11n is just about getting there). Such a lovely, integrated, easy and quick to install, and well documented system though.

Anonymous Coward

And yet...

Even on El Reg and with a self selecting sample for the poll Windows gets more votes than Linux. Even the "overpriced" Apple does quite well.

Welcome to the real world

Silver badge

Even the "overpriced" Apple

In other news, buying quality hardware (with an average OS thrown in for free) is expensive. Who knew?

(Other than Dell, Acer etc etc).

Bronze badge

As for loaded cruftware what do you think makes your cheapo machine that cheap ? Really ?

You don't get nearly as much if you buy something just a little bit decent.

True, buy a decent machine from the right place and you won't get third party crap.

With W10 however, even Pro, you will still get a whole bunch of unnecessary bloatware, including shit like Candy Crush, installed automatically in the background. Most of it can be removed easily enough, but that's not the point, it shouldn't be there in the first place.

Then there's the crap that you can't uninstall easily, but have to resort to Powershell or cmd to get rid of.

The amazing thing is the "Timeline" feature. A major software company has decided to give you a glimpse of how much information they and everyone else is recording about you.

Anonymous Coward

30 minutes my arse

Last one took hours and hours, in the end I just left it can came back a few days later having forgotten about it. I now use my tablet and rarely ever my PC at home, just runs the disk at 100% for an hour when you turn it on. Useless.

Anonymous Coward

Re: 30 minutes my arse

Same with mine. The fan blows when idle, and the drive led constantly flashing.

Just not worth the hassle anymore - I turn it on, wait for some fucking update to complete, and by then I've picked up my phone or tablet and done what I was going to do in the first place.

The only app probably I use is Windows Update - with the telemetry that microsoft receive, they must think I love the fucking thing!

Silver badge

I like reading the comments on articles about MS and windows - Ill dip in every now and then to see if we have evolved passed the "My favourite thing is better than your favourite thing" response.

Apparently not.

Its not XKCD but.. http://extrafabulouscomics.com/comic/200/

Anonymous Coward

I know, it's embarrassing.

By the way, XKCD is much better than that piece of shit you've linked to.

Loser.

WTF?

Next next computer....

That really depends on the what I need to get hold of next time round. I use, Windows, Mac and Linux. For me, it's not really an either or choice. I use all three, like using all three and will continue to use all three. Don't make me choose just one, because I simply cannot do so.

Windows - good for gaming, photoshop, programming and tech support type things.

MacOS - good for video/audio capture editing and stuff like that.

Linux - great for server stuff, infrastructure, Media servers, pratting about with (read Raspberry PI)

For me, the OS is simply a tool to use, it does not define anything. So, I'd want to vote for all three for my next computer, as it could be ANY of the three.

Re: Next next computer....

If you prefer photo-editing on Win over photo-editing on macOS, you're doing something wrong.

Silver badge

Re: Next next computer....

Programming is a pain in the butt on windows. Linux/unix is built for it. And tech support ? I'm not sure what you mean. That you get to do more tech support than on the other options ? Doesn't sound like a benefit.

Silver badge
Trollface

Microsoft reckons the operating system will take, on average, 30 minutes to install.

10% of installs will be in MS run data centres and will complete within 2 minutes with correct flags set

20% will be on new OEM devices and will complete within 5 minutes

40% will be on desktop estates and take between 5 and 35 minutes to complete

You! You in the corner with the 3 year old laptop! Your install will take long enough to give that average.

J27

Re: Microsoft reckons the operating system will take, on average, 30 minutes to install.

Yup, but the only spec that really matters is storage speed. My mom's old Ivy Bridge I3 Thinkpad went from a 1.5 hour Windows 10 install time to a 30 minute Windows 10 install time just from replacing the massively slow hard drive with a Samsung 850 EVO.

J27

Sadly, I'm stuck with Windows at home until some other platform has decent game support. The Steam OS thing was looking promising for Linux, but it kinda fizzled out.

Install Ubuntu or fedora then install steam,or gog.com

Bronze badge

Oi. Survey people. My next desktop OS, like my current one and my last one will be Linux. Not GNU/Linux, because that's pandering to the inflated self-importance of a man who has spent thirty years failing to produce an operating system and is clinging on to the coattails of someone who has succeeded.

Silver badge

That's particularly unfair. I'm not by any means a fan of Stallman, but they've contributed a lot of essential software (except Emacs, that can die :P ).

Stallman's point is that Linux is just a kernel - it's a very successful kernel, with many features, but it doesn't include a userland.

BSD, on the other hand, is an integrated whole. Each of the BSDs ships with a userland integrated into the operating system, and the concept of distributions largely does not exist.

Also, whilst I strongly disagree with Stallman's idea of software freedom, I do agree with their position on open standards. It's not a position that tends to work perfectly in the real world of closed source hardware and software, but the efforts of Stallman, Theo, and others has helped to make computing more open than it would otherwise be.

The fact Hurd hasn't succeeded isn't really that important - people obviously don't care. The Linux kernel is a good enough option for people that want an operating system that forces sharing of code, and a wide choice of distributions. For a different take on free software there are the BSDs, and for closed source there's Windows and OS X (plus a number of minority OSses with varying licences and capabilities).

Obviously all these above operating system choices meet the vast majority of requirements, so Hurd does not need to succeed.

Silver badge

Not GNU/Linux, because that's pandering to the inflated self-importance

Oh, good grief. GNU/Linux is a bit of a mouthful and a bugger to type - but Linux is merely the kernel, and like GNU never quite managing to finish the Hurd, the Fin-ish may never have managed a complete userland for his kernel.

'Linux is not quite merely just kernel+GNU anymore either, but I think none of us want to get into a rest-a-ur-aunt vs. rest-z-ur-great-great-uncle-on-yur-mothers-side - sorry another Mr Don & Mr George joke.

Mushroom

Take cover

Redstone was the name of an ICBM

Oh yes, my next OS will probably be Windows. That's normally what's pre-installed.

I'll boot it up, next, next, next, bypass the "create a microsoft account", next, next, next

Leave it to update & reboot, check the device manager that the everything appears to be ok, download Linux mint, write it to usb, then reboot

Silver badge

That's all M$ is good for - check that all hardware perrypherrals are working, make a screenshot of device mangler, then download Linux Mint to USB, reboot, install Linux Mint.

Any issues with hardware - you can refer to your screenshot of device mangler and associated perrypherrals...

Silver badge

The Survey Results at 13:35

make interesting reading.

Less than 50% are going to stick with Windows.

Will anyone from MS take note?

Nah, who do we think you are kidding eh?

Silver badge

eComStation/Blue Lion and Linux Mint.

Getting tired of M$.

Silver badge

eComStation/Blue Lion

Maybe if Arca Noae had a low-cost (and no, $129 isn't low cost - if it was $29 I'd buy it now) version for home use I'd be interested.

(Former OS/2 long-term user)

Unhappy

Next OS - no idea

I've no idea what to get next.

I hate windows 10.

I have tried Linux - everything is a tiring battle requiring internet searches.

I hate Apple (iTunes borked my PC music library), and it's an overpriced walled garden.

Tablet (Hudl) - hated limited screen and keyboard options (like to have more than one thing open at once, and easy drag/drop functionality. Plus USB OtG was flaky

ChromeOS - maybe, but the devices are low powered.

Something else? Maybe I don't need a computer? Except the NAS interface is browser based :-/

Most of what i do is send emails and copy pictures from my camera to NAS.

I will nurse Windows 7 as long as possible, and see whats available in a couple of years.

I would love a shiny new laptop - but every review I read makes me shudder when I get to the OS bit.

Genuinely not enthused by any of the poor options currently available.

Silver badge

Re: Next OS - no idea

@Bert 1

Chromebook sounds perfect for you then.

It's low powered because that's all it needs. It's not slow, by anyone's standards. Keep that windows 7 box going and you'll find that 90-99% of stuff you do will be absolutely fine on the chromebook.

Silver badge

Yeah, I don't see why a Chromebook wouldn't work for you. Pretty much any of the Unixes would work too.

Surely you're not uploading all your pictures using a browser?

You need to list all your requirements as 'most of what I do' obviously also includes music. Too many times people say their requirements are simple then add '..and play the latest PC games' on to the end.

Silver badge

@Bert 1

"I hate Apple (iTunes borked my PC music library), and it's an overpriced walled garden."

Only IOS is walled, you can install any old crap in MacOS the same as you can with other OSes (if you can find what you need). Agreed that Macs are over priced - I doubt I'll be able to afford to replace mine if it ever breaks - and you'll be pleased to know that ITunes is just as bad on a Mac as it is on a PC.

Yeah probably a Chrome book.

Music - not so much. I rip CDs to my library on the NAS, and then sync them with winamp to the ipod

So everything I have done on my PC in the last 6 months:

1) Produced (and printed) party invitations in word

2) Produced and printed graphics for charity events (Word NOT Office 360)

3) Written emails (Gmail) (used to be chrome, but now Firefox)

4) browsed the web (chrome/firefox)

5) opened keypass

6) ripped CDs (and listened to music while doing so)

7) logged into work with Citrix

8) produced simple excel spreadsheets (Not Office 360)

9) Downloaded gopro footage

10) Copy photos to NAS & USB, and made minor edits (Photoshop - NOT CC)

11) managed NAS./firewall / router (browser based)

What I have not done is gaming!

When you look at that list, a chrome book will be more than adequate.

Silver badge
Windows

Looking forward to rolling out

"Evergreen" estate here, so will be rolling out once the automated regression testing completes on the GA build. Not expecting any issues as we've been on Insider Slow ring for months.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018