back to article Windows 10 to force you to use Edge, even if it isn't default browser

Microsoft’s about to test a new feature of Windows 10 that will force users to employ its Edge browser under some circumstances. Revealed in the announcement of Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17623 for Skip Ahead, the change means “we will begin testing a change where links clicked on within the Windows Mail app will open in …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: So ?

Adrian4,

I take it this is some form of 'Troll' !!! ???

In the real world:

You cannot *just* sit down and write the software you need on the platform you need without there being some *cost*. (Time, People, Money etc)

Most companies do not have unlimited funds to spend on Software Development, particularly if Software Development is a new experience for them and therefore actual costs are likely to be somewhat different to the 'Original Estimate'.

Considering the number of Projects that fail when initiated by companies that supposedly know what they are doing, guess how many would fail when every 'Toma/Roch/Harriet' tries to write or even commission their own specific software for their business.

At the small end of the market, most companies have difficulty describing exactly what they do in sufficient detail to allow such software to be written, which is why standard packages are used 'allowing' the creation of their 'own' process to perform their business (usually by Trial & Error at some previous point in time.)

Some larger companies may have a chance but the rest are just throwing money down the drain to get an almost working solution that is expensive to maintain.

Makes no sense .........unless you are a Freelance Software Developer selling the Nirvana of Bespoke Software to attact more clients. !!! :)

1. jelabarre59

Windows is the only choice for many, some software just isn't available for Linux or Mac. Not all hardware is fully supported in Linux...

So because **some** software doesn't run under Linux or MacOS, then you say NO ONE should be running Linux or MacOS? If your business needs require an application that *only* runs under MSWin, then by all means you should be running MSWin (and BTW: I count any MSWin application that runs adequately under Wine/Crossover as "running under Linux"). But the vast majority of users could get by just fine with Firefox/Google Chrome, LibreOffice, VLC, Gimp, Inkscape, Pidgin, etc, and these run just as well or better under Linux (and probably run fine with the fruity bunch too).

2. grumpy-old-person

Try some of the elderly HP laser printers in Windows 10 and grind your teeth when you discover that suddenly they are not supported.

They all work on Linux!

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obligatory Linux is best post

Thought I'd be the first... I hate Windows so much I switched to Linux, and life is a dream, you all should learn from me, Go Linux!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Obligatory Linux is best post

Tell me oh wise one so I can learn from your masterful wisdom, Does Edge work on Linux?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, but neither does Windows Mail, so no problem here.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Does Edge work on Linux?"

Only if you run Ubuntu from the Windows App Store!

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Does Edge work on Linux?

It works exactly as well as I need it to.

4. jelabarre59

Tell me oh wise one so I can learn from your masterful wisdom, Does Edge work on Linux?

Actually, the UWP runtime could probably be easily ported to Linux. Even people at Microsoft have hinted at such. MS is probably just afraid it would run *better*.

2. Hot Diggity

That will be an improvement

My work PC runs Windows 10. Every time I reboot it, it switches the default browser back to IE. I've tried many suggestions to fix it, but none of them work.

I now have the Settings start on boot so that I can change the default browser back to my preferred as soon as it comes up.

Windows 7 was quite good and I didn't have any complaint with that one. Windows 10 is just horrible. Linux Mint which I use at on my personal laptop just works the way I want it to and if I could use it as the base OS on my desktop at work, I would.

1. beep54

Re: That will be an improvement

Turns out that you can actually get rid of IE using Programs and Features in Windows 10. Not Edge, of course, but this might help with your problem.

1. Hot Diggity

Thanks for that. I would except that certain internal applications *only* work with IE. Sigh.

2. Phil Kingston

Usually caused by another piece of software incorrectly editing the default file associations, so Windows reverts them to out-the-box defaults.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or maybe your network admins have set a domain setting that forces IE as your browser. Or some corporate spyware is doing it.

I doubt you can blame Windows/Microsoft for something that only happens to you. ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I doubt you can blame Windows/Microsoft for something that only happens to you. ;)"

I'm not so sure. My Win10 at home does this weird thing that apparently only I have noticed:

Start > Run > mstsc, type a hostname, press enter. The credentials box comes up, without keyboard focus, and the only way to get focus into the username/password boxes is with the mouse. Tab doesn't work, Alt + CHAR doesn't work. I assume this is a weird thing happening on my install rather than everyone's - surely others would be moaning at the shocking UI design otherwise?

This is just a straight-up install of Win10 LTSB. But I never had this rubbish with Win7, so I will take the option of blaming Windows 10 for it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"This is just a straight-up install of Win10 LTSB."

The LTSB is meant only for kiosks, medical devices, etc. And very specificallly not for anything that runs Office. Most places should chose CBB.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>>I assume this is a weird thing happening on my install rather than everyone's - surely others would be moaning at the shocking UI design otherwise?

>>This is just a straight-up install of Win10 LTSB.

Thats probably your issue - LTSB is not for general use and only gets updated every 2 years! Try a normal build.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Security updates arrive monthly on LTSB and it seems an eminently sensible way of avoiding most of the TIFKAM crap.

2. Hot Diggity

None of my colleagues are affected. One of the network admins must have taken a dislike to me :-(

4. Timmy B

"My work PC runs Windows 10. Every time I reboot it, it switches the default browser back to IE"

I'm detecting a group policy there.

3. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

None at all!

"...links clicked on within the Windows Mail app will open in Microsoft Edge..."

This will have as much impact as if email addresses clicked on within Microsoft Edge would open in the Windows Mail app. i.e. None at all!

MISTER PROSSER: Have you any idea how much damage that bulldozer would suffer if I just let it roll straight over you?

ARTHUR DENT: How much?

MISTER PROSSER: None at all!

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    Facepalm

Close to the edge

..... In this case: NO .......

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: Close to the edge

Up vote for Yes reference

5. MacroRodent

Testing waters

About "this change won’t have a massive effect because Windows Mail isn’t a big deal. ": Of course it isn't - yet. This is a trial balloon. The change will start affecting other parts of Windows 10, if Redmont does not see too much outcry. Boiling the frog, and all that.

1. brotherelf

Re: Testing waters

It's actually the second one – if you use the spotlight screen saver and ever click on the trivia teaser, you'll be taken to the edge.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"It's actually the second one"

Not to mention Cortana. A slippery slope this is.

2. LosD

Not even close to being new. They did this in various versions of MSN as well, which must predate this... 10 years or so?

1. WallMeerkat

Anyone remember MSN Browser?

It only seemed to be available on Windows ME or certain builds of 2000, and disappeared as quickly as it appeared.

6. Piro Silver badge

Hah! Just try it. I'm on LTSB, it doesn't even have Edge.

7. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

In other news...

Vladimir Putin wins election.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In other news...

Yes but he's not a browser or is that what they want you to think?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Vladimir Putin wins election.

This is as far as I would take it, based on what I have read, so far.

'Election' is based on far too many assumptions that are difficult to *verify* just now !!!

:) ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Vladimir Putin wins election.

This is as far as I would take it, based on what I have read, so far.

'Election' is based on far too many assumptions that are difficult to *verify* just now !!!

:) ;)"

Привет (Hi),

Спасибо (Thank you) <Doff Cap> ......... to the russian who downvoted me !!!

At last we have proof that you are here !!! :)

[As if we needed it :) :) :) ]

8. Ray Merrall

Just bought a new desktop with Windows 10, the good points, it was cheap and it was quick delivered. Now the bad, 10 is shit masquerading as an o/s. Most of my crucial programs work on Windows and I really do not have the time or inclination to learn Linux or play with all the different flavours. I have an aversion to Apple and mac o/s - see comment on crucial programs, and somebody once telling me that no one could hack mac o/s. (maybe true, but, I don't believe it)

I had to go through at least 3 pop-ups telling me edge is the best thing on the planet, more saying that Cortana is my fantasy female, that office is a good tool to use and goodness only knows what else. Everything seems geared to me paying a revenue flow to Redmond, which just makes me remember why I hate jumped up acc*ntants and bean counters trying to massage profits through areas of marketing they know little about, but can see $ and £ signs flashing in front of their eyes while potential bonuses flood into their respective bank accounts before they piss off somewhere else to wash and rinse the process, and the company collapses because nobody will now buy any product from them. .

1. MonkeyCee

21st C computing

"Most of my crucial programs work on Windows and I really do not have the time or inclination to learn Linux or play with all the different flavours. I have an aversion to Apple and mac o/s"

I'm sorry to say, but you've got to bite the bullet on this. There no longer is a version of Windows that works and is supported and is suitable for use as your main OS. If you have programs that you rely on that work in Win 7 (or whichever flavour) then the only way I've found to get reliable performance is to run them in a VM.

At that point, running linux or a Mac as the main OS is a much better bet. You've got to learn a "new" OS anyway, so move to a saner environment. VM windows is actually quite pleasant to work with, since it doesn't have to do any of that awkward dealing with hardware stuff, and can be rebooted pretty quick whenever it needs a wee kicking.

Personally I prefer a Mac to linux box, if only because it's possible to find someone to fix it if I don't have the time myself. Linux techs tend to be either crap and cheap, or good and very expensive. Mac techs can often be found in the mid range.

The main problem with Apple kit is a) the fanbois and b) people who assume you are a fanboi for owning one. I'm fairly company agnostic, so I find it interesting what reasons people come up with to justify hating Apple, especially when it's clear they haven't touched a Mac for a few decades. Apple also appears to have stolen a lot of MS techs girlfriend's, run over their dogs and TP their house based on the hate it gets :)

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: 21st C computing

@MonkeyCee

OH uses Mac, MS provide Office for Mac if that is "crucial" software you need

If its graphics then Adobe stuff such as PhotoShop, illustrator etc on Mac.

So plenty of commonly used business software not just on windows

And, of course, VMs..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I really do not have the time or inclination to learn Linux

Then stop complaining how shit Windows is, and suck it up princess.

If you're not prepared to do anything about the mess, then you can't expect anyone else to do it for you.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear MS

I have SOOOO tried to like Win10.

Honestly, I have.

But I cant. I mean, its just shit. Nothing is where it *should* be. The "start menu" is a huge oxymoron.

Even the guy who writes "Classic Shell" has pulled out because of the fuckwits at MS changing stuff for the sake of it.

No, I'm sorry MS. You failed. You failed to listen to your customers, you failed to act on feedback, you just failed. AGAIN...

What is the saying about not learning from your mistakes, only to be doomed to make them again??

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When the software is free you are the browser.

1. Adrian 4

It's not free.

You pay for bad software with your productivity.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If the software is free then how can you complain when it forces you to use it's own browser rather another free browser?

Sarcasm aside from my other post, can someone answer this intriguing question?

1. David Nash Silver badge

"If the software is free then how can you complain when it forces you to use it's own browser rather another free browser?"

I'm in two minds about whether they should be doing this, but Win10 isn't free. You either buy it as a retail package or pay for it inclusive of your new PC cost, or paid for Win7 which was "upgraded" with no additional fee (but you had to have a valid Win 7 install, which was not free).

2. Updraft102

If the software is free then how can you complain when it forces you to use it's own browser rather another free browser?

Well, it wasn't free, as someone else has already explained. Even if it was free, though, that has nothing to do with its suitability as an operating system. An OS needs to serve the user, and how it serves that user is also up to the user. If it fails that, it's not fit for purpose, even for free.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Good luck friends, it is and still is free if you know where to look, besides how do you prove it wasn't?

I asked a simple question, opinions on which operating system is better/more free/not raping your privacy don't count.

1. JohnFen

So where do we look for this truly free Windows 10 of which you speak?

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

On the back

of any OEM pc running windows 7.

Better if its Pro win 7.

*There is your key for windows 10. Pro if the win 7 key was a Pro version.

Done.

Next please.

*Honestly, don't. It's truly fucking terrible is Win10.

1. JohnFen

Re: On the back

Still not free. True, you aren't paying cash money -- but you are paying in other ways. Windows 10 is expensive.

I object to the notion that just because you aren't paying for something with money then you aren't paying for it. If it's costing you something (even if that something isn't money), then it isn't "free".

2. JohnFen

"When the software is free"

WIndows 10, Edge, Mail, etc. are nothing close to free.

11. timecop1818

I've honestly tried to use Edge a few months back after clean reinstall

But they're complete lack of keyboard hotkeys in menus - I'm not talking things like ctrl+s to save but access keys like being able to right click and press "s" (for example) to save an image. Usually signified by underline in the menu item text, tho that visual has been set to off by default since a while back.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

Re: I've honestly tried to use Edge a few months back after clean reinstall

Usually signified by underline in the menu item text, tho that visual has been set to off by default since a while back.

Underlines in menus are soooo anti-Millennial!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like