back to article IT peeps, be warned: You'll soon be a museum exhibit

Telephone operator, please put me through to… What's that? You want me to address you by your first name? Well, that's jolly friendly. I'm (thinks quickly, decides to use Starbucks name) "Alex". And how should I call you? Right. Alexa, please put me through to… Yes, I said "put me though". You don't understand the question? It …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

" So many people live without riding the whirlwind of a revolution (technological,inustrial etc), and we have watched it from youth and will watch it to maturity."

An elderly neighbour born in 1914 lived until she was 99. She remembered the excitement of primitive aircraft flying overhead. Broadcast radio was also a new invention when she was a child. Electricity gradually replaced gas lighting in the home.

She learned to drive a car when you didn't need a licence - or at least there was no driving test. Someone's autobiography describes their father buying a car on a visit to London. The showroom mechanic took him for a short drive to teach him the principles. The man then drove home. He arrived with both running boards attached by rope - the result of several mishaps en route.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

She learned to drive a car when you didn't need a licence - or at least there was no driving test.

My wifes grandfather got his driving license at 15 during WW1. The local doctor needed a driver and all the able-bodied men were away or doing Important Stuff[1]

His test consisted of the local constable watching him drive round the town square.

[1] This being Cornwall, Important Stuff == mining, fishing or farming. Because he was a nice middle-class lad (his father owned a shop), he didn't qualify for any of those.

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Windows

All

my career of wrangling robots has to do is last 7 more years and I'm home free

However all you people looking back with misty eyed nolstalgia at the '60s, '70s '80s and thinking how much better it was.. it wasn't....... IT back then was crap, how many of us learned assembly code because the langauges of the time ran slower than a dead slug stuck in treacle

Oh exciting shiny computer time... with a screen res of 256/192 .. sheesh thats less than a desktop icon today.. lets get 1 black blob to hit another black blob, get the computer to make a buzzing noise and call it space trek or something.

I learned my trade on hand controlled machinery, lathes and mills etc, as soon as I found out someone had attatched a computer to one and got the computer to do all the work I was out of the hand twirling nonsense and off into robot land where I could sit in a nice warm office telling the robots what to do and not stuck on an oily smelly factory floor getting covered in shite (at least that was the plan... it hasn't quite worked out like that)

Technology changes all the time.... bet theres still some cavemen complaining about this new fangled thing call 'fire' and how it was better in the old days before we had it

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All

"[...] IT back then was crap, [...]"

It was subjectively exciting. The dopamine rush on achieving the "impossible" is a universal human reward.

What many of us youngsters didn't realise was that we were often pioneers. If our boss gave us a job to do - we would ask how to do it. To which the effective answer was that no one had done it before - so you'll have to work it out for yourself.

Being in computer development allowed plenty of scope for treating the latest massive mainframe as your personal toy. Wow! - a whole 1MB of store.

As technical support we bridged the gap between the System/Application programmers and the hardware engineers. We knew our way round both silos. That depth of experience gave us an uncommon grasp of how IT works at all levels.

I can still get that rush from an Arduino project - needing similar skills to my early mainframes and my prior teenage radio/electronics hobby.

I also get that same high when sculpting human likenesses in clay. There is a lot of similarity in the ups and downs of both creative projects - except you can't checkpoint clay against disasters as you progress. A colleague once remarked that I write software like someone modelling in clay - probably what is called DevOps nowadays.

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

how many of us learned assembly code because the langauges (sic) of the time ran slower than a dead slug stuck in treacle

Yep. Even as an amateur coder in the 80s I needed to use 6502 Assembler to make stuff work reasonably well. And that included rewriting some educational software that had cost real money, but that was written in BBC Basic, to make it more usable.

1. Danny 14

university had me using a 6502 to write my name on an oscilloscope. then you designed traffic lights systems on them and switching boards for fake assembly lines. PLC design almosy.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All Technology is Ironic if you Wait Long Enough

The first video played on MTV, in August 1981, was "Video Killed the Radio Star," by The Buggles. The duo are now reputedly working on a musical entitled "The Robot Sings."

3. CentralCoasty
    Trollface

Forever job?

SAP ABAP or BASIS?

Almost guaranteed job for life!

4. Muscleguy

Coopers still exist, up here in Scotland anyway. The Water of Life is still, by law, matured in wooden barrels for at least 3 years in Scotland in order to be called Scotch Whisky. That means we need people who can for eg put knocked down barrels imported from the US bourbon houses back together again. To replace a stave, refit a heated hoop.

Being a thrifty nation little whisky (note the spelling) is matured in new wood. For people who make wooden barrels from scratch you need the US where the law says the whiskey (sp) must be matured in new wood. A law noted by Scotch Whisky producers. Grants, who make Glenfiddich, own an oak forest in the Ozarks, they rent the barrels to the bourbon houses then import them impregnated with bourbon.

I'm a part time woodworker and I'm just about tooled up to make a barrel. I could use a compass plane but wooden coopering planes are cheaper and still around. I have matched pairs of tongue and groove wooden planes. Much more pleasant work than feeding wood into a wirring, roaring machine you have to wear ear defenders for.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

The Water of Life is still, by law, matured in wooden barrels

Same applies for other 'traditional' spirits (Calvados et. al.). I've no idea if it hold for the abomination[1] that they drink in the US though..

[1] They call it "sippin' whiskey" cos only a fool takes more than a sip before moving on to proper whisky made from malted barley..

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

import them impregnated with bourbon

Quite a lot of Spanish barrels get imported too - some very nice whisky comes out of barrels formerly used for sherry..

(The Englsih Whisky company does some. Far, far too potable for something that costs £35-£45 a bottle.)

5. Dave559 Silver badge

Hot metal type

If HoTMetaL type is your thing, I recommend seeing the film “The Post”, which, in addition to wetware, also features a lot of scenes of the hardware end of newspaper production as well, leading and all!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like