back to article MPs: Lack of technical skills for Brexit could create 'damaging, unmanageable muddle'

Whitehall has not done enough to prepare for the "byzantinely complicated task" of Brexit, including putting the right technical skills and resources in place, a report by Parliament's Public Accounts Committee (PAC) has warned. In findings that will surprise few, it said the UK government's Department for Exiting the European …

Silver badge

Re: Hmm

"Them spineless bastards"

About the EU?

You have some issues, mate.

Silver badge

"One of these statements is a lie."

Yes, but it seems that Brexit government is too thick to realise it.

Silver badge

We all know why they rushed ahead: New tax haven legislation looming.

Silver badge

Re: "One of these statements is a lie."

@ John Smith 19

"I have no idea what this technology will be"

If I am honest I expect it to be a lie. Claim there is a border and thats it.

@ Doctor Syntax

"Slightly more than half of those who voted did."

So more people voted out than in. Yes. As the first vote on our membership of the EU we have only ever voted out. If our EU vote needs a high threshold then pro-membership have never won one. If we count all the people who didnt vote and add them to remain then remain wins, but if we add them to leave then leave again wins (because more people voted out).

"In a couple of years time your going to be hard pressed to find anyone who'll claim admit to having voted Leave."

Will they die out like Euro supporters who used to call people like me eurosceptic? Those cowards who made the same arguments against leave for not joining the Euro, and were proved not only wrong but stonkingly wrong. And if leave turns out not to sink us (unlikely to do so) and even the EU sinks under its crises (yes that is the multiple) or transforms to what people dont want (one of their aims- ever closer union) there might be a rock somewhere we could peak under to find a remain voter. I am glad you said that because we eurosceptics have experience trying to find those so badly mistaken.

"Beggars can't be choosers."

You commented this against the EU making demands before being willing to negotiate anything. Since the EU is entitled to nothing (not money, not an Irish hard border, not extra rights over our country) the EU is the beggar and we have no reason to give in to that. Why you would have that the wrong way around I dont know.

Silver badge

@ anonymous boring coward

I guess its good enough for Luxembourg!

Silver badge

>Not the 100bn euro demand that was laughed out of the room?

What 100Bn would that be? The one invented by the Daily Fail? Or the one invented by The SUN?

Because no such demand was ever made by any EU body.

>You mean the EU demand for a hard border isnt gonna be met?

What demand would that be? - since the EU have made it abundantly and repeatedly clear that they don't want a hard border there.

I think it's safer to conclude that you don't know what you're talking about (or are blatantly lying about it).

Silver badge

@ strum

"What 100Bn would that be? The one invented by the Daily Fail? Or the one invented by The SUN?"

Or even mentioned in the guardian or anywhere else (https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/18/eu-talks-divided-over-britains-brexit-divorce-bill-mooted-at-66bn). Another excuse for why we should not be leaving by remainers who think the EU is entitled to money. All of it being invented but little confirmed. The EU wanting more and to punish us, reality putting them back in their box. But the 3 demands were money, border, court rights.

"since the EU have made it abundantly and repeatedly clear that they don't want a hard border there"

Thats an interesting interpretation. Since the EU was arguing it wouldnt go on to round 2 of negotiations until the Irish border issue was resolved (they wanted one) and their solution of course being to take N Ireland into the EU (against their wishes). Then of course rejecting offers of a 'soft' border.

Gold badge
Coat

"D The DUP will continue to prop up HMG."

<cough>"Regulatory alignment,regulatory alignment"</cough>

Silver badge
Meh

@codejunky

Are you deliberately screwing the facts or are you just ill-informed about the "Good Friday Agreement". Perhaps you should read about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Friday_Agreement

"The agreement is made up of two inter-related documents, both agreed in Belfast on Good Friday, 10 April 1998:

1. a multi-party agreement by most of Northern Ireland's political parties (the Multi-Party Agreement);

2, an international agreement between the British and Irish governments (the British-Irish Agreement)."

There are a few very simple solutions for the UK to solve the problem they have created, that is, if honouring a agreement or not is a problem. The problem is not caused by the EU.

Silver badge

@ Lars

"There are a few very simple solutions for the UK to solve the problem they have created, that is, if honouring a agreement or not is a problem. The problem is not caused by the EU."

Hang on. Are you claiming the UK is not allowed to leave the EU because the EU wouldnt progress talks until they have an Irish border? Oh well when you put it that way. Ffs. If the EU want a border they can make one. Failing that it doesnt exist.

Silver badge

Following on-

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/09/northern-ireland-will-stay-in-single-market-after-brexit-eu-says

EU wants a border or to take Ireland. Since N Ireland want out that would be the EU taking them over. Because the EU want a border. The UK wants frictionless trade. The simple answer of course being to tell the EU we wont make a border and if they want one they can make one. Neither Ireland want one and we dont want one... will the EU force (read that word) the creation of one? While N Ireland wouldnt have such imposed upon them.

Gold badge
Coat

ANPR + EU wide ID card database + facial recognition mashup?

Naturally this will be operating in real time as well.

Silver badge

Department for Exiting the European Union (DExEU)

Couldnt they just call it the Brexit Department?

Now imagine they've complicated the other trillion details by the same factor.

Silver badge

It was ever thus

"The report singled out "a particularly critical need for project management, technical and digital skills"."

Silver badge

MPs' Lack of technical skills for Brexit could create 'damaging, unmanageable muddle'

FTFY

Silver badge
Happy

That's how I red it in the first place. Happy icon as I've found my meds now

Trollface

Really..

Government saying it needs more Government, colour me surprised!

Silver badge

"Remoaner Scum!"

"Talking down Britain."

"Traitors."

"Brexit means brexit."

"We're taking back control."

"You lost."

[Feel free to add any other empty platitude that are just a metaphor of the brexit plan.]

Bronze badge
Coat

Hmm..

Maybe all those contractors they deemed inside IR35 would be usefull

if anyof them hadn't taken there coats .....

Silver badge

"Unmanageable" ?

That sounds like getting in your excuses first....

Gold badge
Unhappy

That sounds like getting in your excuses first....

Throughout this whole business I keep hearing a favorite aphorism of Sales.

"Winners have plans. Losers have excuses."

I know. It's a schocky old cliche.

But, like many other cliches it's also true.

The Brexitieers have shown they didn't have a plan to begin with.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like they have one now either.

I mean who walks out on a marriage and for the settlement says "Make me an offer?"

Silver badge
Happy

Re: That sounds like getting in your excuses first....

@ John Smith 19

For those who did not grasp the "Make me an offer", It went like this:

In a recent private meeting between May and the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, the two leaders reportedly found themselves in a tragicomic conversational loop.

"May kept telling Merkel: “Make me an offer.” To which Merkel would reply: “But you’re leaving – we don’t have to make you an offer. Come on, what do you want?” To which May would retort: “Make me an offer.”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/03/imperial-fantasies-brexit-theresa-may

(and elsewhere)

Looking at the bright side, all sanity has not left Blighty.

Gold badge
Unhappy

"“But you’re leaving – we don’t have to make you an offer. "

Indeed.

I've never divorced anyone but it's my understanding that SOP is both sides need to set out a set of requirements and then both sides negotiate.

I also understand the common answer to "make me an offer" is "I ain't giving you s**t," depending on the level of acrimony during the breakup.

Anonymous Coward

The whole mess comes down to the Tory party being split into two groups: those who stand to make money & influence out of the UK staying in the EU and those who stand to make money & influence out of the UK leaving the EU. The struggle between these groups governs the current and past behaviour of the Conservatives (and hence the current government) with regard to Europe.

Silver badge

I don't read tabloids (needless to say, doubt anyone here does).

I did see a man reading one though, and it had a massive headline;

"Give Us Our Freedom Now!"

or very similar text.

I can only assume it was about Brexit, and if so, it's scary the level of war-like propaganda being used in this "save our tax haven's" debacle. All reason seems to have gone out the window on the rabidly religious Leave side.

Silver badge

"Give Us Our Freedom Now!"

Scary.

Finallly it has arrived then (probably came in a while back, I was just to wrapped up in my own affairs to notice).

Knew we were heading toward U.S. style political arena. The divisive, militant landscape must either being serving some cartel, or merely the dumb pandering to the worst nationalistic tendencies by a unprincipled and opportunistic tabloid media.

Silver badge

"I don't read tabloids (needless to say, doubt anyone here does)."

I do, now. Mon - Fri I start the day with a quick peek at the Daily Mail. I don't enjoy that but figure I need to do that to try and understand a large proportion of the population. Seems the editors need to take a quick course in British constitutional law, otherwise they wouldn't refer to judges and MPs fulfilling their constitutional duties and oaths of office as 'enemies of the people' and 'traitors'. And if the articles on scantily-clad Z-list 'celebrities' are supposed to reflect "proud British values" then you can count me out. Note: other newspapers are available.

Silver badge

"I do, now. Mon - Fri I start the day with a quick peek at the Daily Mail. "

Won't that ruin the day?

Silver badge

Potentially, so then have to take a peek at the FT and Guardian as an antidote. Not enjoyable, but useful to help me understand other folk. And I get a break from it at the weekend :)

Meh

No, but would make for a good laugh ... or cry ...

Depending on glass half full/half empty outlook.

<SOBBING>

Silver badge

Well, I will probably start to stock up on non-perishable foods. With this shitshower of a government, who knows what will happen?

Coat

Buy a few crossbows with plenty of arrows and spares

Secretly dig a bunker in the forest

Develop haircut like Daryl (from The walking Dead)

Learn to shoot like Carol (from The walking Dead)

etc, etc.

Maybe it won't be so bad, maybe we can have soft brexit, you never know, we can only dream.

Don't Panic!

It won't be any worse than Y2K, apart from the 20+ years of pre-planning that is. (Anyone know where I can hire a development team for a short contract at short notice. I reckon I'll need around 300,000 developers plus support.)

Gold badge
Coat

So the high level Brexit "plan" remains in tact.

<gollum>

We wants it.

We needs it.

We mush have hard Brexit.

</gollum>

Good to know.

Trollface

Re: So the high level Brexit "plan" remains in tact.

you sure it is not

<gove>

</gove>

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018