back to article Morrisons launches bizarre Yorkshire Pudding pizza thing

Brit supermarket chain Morrisons has sacked 1,500 middle managers – but fear not, they’ve also vomited out an unholy creation that is part pizza, part Yorkshire pudding. The 6½” thing is made by filling an oversized Yorkie Pud with tomato sauce, cheese and typical pizza toppings. A photo of this strangely alluring monstrosity …

Go

Cordon Bennett ...

I needed another option on the poll:

"Yes, because I'm the kind of freak who would eat that!"

Serve as a main course to a starter fried egg chilli chutney sandwich. With an equally deviant dessert.

Silver badge

"With an equally deviant dessert."

Spicy Indian ice cream?

What to do with it?

Use it as a Frisbee of course!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWieovlF6Js

Silver badge

Awesome!

So getting one of these as soon as I can :-D. This sounds delicious!

Would you like fries with that?

Gold badge

Yes please. With curry ketchup. And then something dreadful that's packed with sugar for pudding. An ice cream sundae with Maltesers, choc chips, toffee pieces, cream and chocolate sauce please.

Silver badge

A fusion of local and exotic foreign food. What's not to like?

The new munchy box

Take out that pizza filling nonsense and replace it with the contents of a typical munchy box. Job done!

For those of you who have no idea what a munchy box is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munchy_box

Anonymous Coward

Re: The new munchy box

Looked up Munchie Box ........ Yes I would eat that :)

Possibly only once but there are worse ways to go !!!

In terms of the Yorkshire / Pizza fusion, I would not find it repulsive BUT possible a little much for one.

I am tempted now to try a Yorkshire / Rogan Josh Fusion with Pilau Rice, of Course. :)

Anonymous Coward

I don't understand the problem. Yorkshire pudding (great) + pizza (great) = WIN FOR ALL.

Needs gravy though.

Gold badge

Nah. I just can't see the tomato going with the gravy. Or the cheese.

Perhaps if they went a bit different. Base the pizza on Fiorentina. Which is spinach and egg, but add sausage.

So you half bake your yorkie, then quickly open the oven and top with spinach and a couple of raw eggs. Oh, plus some sausage, make it Italian if you want to pretend authenticity. I'd argue that ship sailed long ago... Then back in the oven for them to cook. Then top with lots of lovely onion gravy.

Admittedly what I've basically done here is add eggs to toad in the hole, and hidden a few sad vitamins in it with the spinach, that nobody is going to notice.

Move it Further North

Freeze the thing in a domestic freezer. When time to cook, cover two Mars-bars in liquid nitrogen and, when down to temperature, remove them from the liquid and shatter them with a hammer.

Place the shattered Mars-bars atop the frozen Yorkshire-pizza thingie, and immerse in a thick beer batter.

Remove coated delicacy from batter and deep-fry.

Server together with Tennant's Super or white cider.

Inspirational

The pizza they put on my platter

Was like a deep-pan only fatter.

I muttered "Lord save me,

They've served it with gravy

And in place of the base they've put batter".

I started - with some trepidation -

To tackle this hybrid creation,

But to my delight

The thing tasted all right

So I finished with no hesitation.

I washed it all down with some bitter,

Let nobody say I'm a quitter.

And after, I reckoned

I fancied a second -

Then I spent the whole night on the sh**ter.

Silver badge
Pint

Re: Inspirational

::standing O::

This round's on me :-)

Coming to a Greggs near you soon...

In the premium section. Served with a warm 2018 vintage Chateau De Bovril served in a Champagne flute...

There's a place in Chorlton does a full English breakfast pizza... I'm thinking this would be ideal for it...

Gold badge

There's a place in Crystal Palace does a banana and icing pizza.

You could have that for dessert afterwards.

MJI
Silver badge

Hmmmm, I am inventing garlic gravy.

I like the look of that.

Would be a bit dry so what do we use?

Gravy, good with YP not with cheese.

Garlic sauce, great with pizza parts.

So garlic gravy!

Gold badge
Happy

Re: Hmmmm, I am inventing garlic gravy.

Eee! Dracula is reet mithered about that suggestion! Says he wishes 'ee'd never come to Whitby now...

Why not go the whole hog of food

This Yorkshire Pizza with a topping of "The hottest ever supermarket curry" that Morrison's also recently did and some nice spring rolls and prawn crackers on the side

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Morrisons-Volcanic-Vindaloo/393702011?dnr=y

Pizza Hasselbacks, a pint of black sheep and lemon sorbet. Hmm, possibly I should change my vote to "I'm a deviant".

Butty

Deep fry in batter and serve in a big buttered bread cake with gravy to dip in

A full Yorkshire menu

This looks like only one course. It should be expanded.

Starter options:

Yorkshire pudding filled with slices of salmon and avocado, drizzled with gespatcho and radish trimmings.

Yorkshire pudding filled with haggis and rice in a white wine sauce.

Yorkshire pudding inverted over steamed vegetables and lardons.

Mains:

Yorkshire Pizza (as pictured), side Yorkshire pudding filled with mini Yorkshire puddings (and gravy)

Yorkshire pudding filled with sushi selection, side Yorkshire pudding filled with alligator chunks seasoned in vodka.

Dessert:

Yorkshire pudding, frozen, filled with apple and mango sorbet. With gravy.

Gold badge

Re: A full Yorkshire menu

Mmmm. A Yorkshire pudding full of sushi! Yummy! Tuna, avocado, pickled ginger, wasabi...

Or the Yorkshire version could be with beef carpaccio, horseradish and some kind of cold onion gravy.

Anonymous Coward

can you swap the yorkshire pudding for spam?

FIA

...Or the Yorkshire version could be with beef carpaccio, horseradish and some kind of cold onion gravy.

Erm... do you deliver?

Blatantly you'd serve it with a Yorkshire pudding parmo

Ohhh

Sandwich two together and toast with cheese

Or alternatively put two together in mushy peas for the world's oddest pie floater

Need to get some now. Nearest morrisons about 2-300meters

Silver badge

"it does have a strange mouth-watering effect"

I get that. Mostly when my body is warning me there's a bout of projectile vomiting on its way.

I love a 'bucket of Yorkshire' but tend to stick to filled with casserole, roast meat, sausages, vegetables, in some combination. This one doesn't appeal.

What to do with a yorkshire pizza pudding...

Does it deepfry ?

Re: What to do with a yorkshire pizza pudding...

Does it blend? Could be a challenger to the hipster favourite, bone broth if so.

Seriously

this looks so, so, so bad ... and even though,

i know I want one, with a pint of dark beer

even if just to see the look on the faces of my dinner guests .....

Looks like deep dish

I would eat it with a knife and fork, washing it down with Goose Island Green Line.

Why are you guys freaking out? That is just Chicago style deep dish. Check out Giordano's or Lou Malnati's, they have been serving that style for decades.

Silver badge

Re: Looks like deep dish

Yorkshire Pudding is not pizza dough. Period.

Silver badge

Re: Looks like deep dish

Looks like a deep dish, in the same way that that brown pile on the pavement looks like a nice chocolate mousse

All that glisters...

That is probably the most hideous idea of a foodstuff I've ever seen. I suggest that avoiding the digestive system by putting it straight into the household waste bin would be the best option - although I have the feeling that it might be an environmental disaster waiting to happen.

Silver badge

My suggestion is to eat it accompanied with a mixture of Barolo and Best Bitter ( half a pint in a pint glass, natch ).

Anything goes with Gravy

Nowt rong wi' Yorksha puddings i've bin eytin 'em sin ah wor eur lahl beeam. owt can nip on i' 'em.

Nothing wrong with Yorkshire puddings I've been eating them since I was a little kid. Anything can go in them. Just add gravy. :-)

keep it traditional

I would order one with some nice strips of roast beast and a tantalizing dollop of mushroom gravy baked to perfection.

According to their slogan Morrisons make it... make it what? An outstanding example of really bad genetic engineering.

Disturbingly advice from Morrisons has been given : ...there would be minimal, if any, risk of serious toxic reaction should a small amount, in relation to body weight, of pudding be consumed on a one-off basis.”

I suppose i'd try it but only if i get some dog food to wash away the bad taste afterwards :)

Being an Aussie that has been no where near a Yorkshire pudding, I had to look it up. Seems to basically be a batter made with eggs. Since I'm highly allergic to eggs, I'd have to make this sort of pizza thingy without eggs. So it just becomes a very very very deep dish pizza. I could eat that, just keep me away from the eggs.

Any horrified Yorkshire pudding eaters should enlighten me about what a pudding really is, if Wikipedia lied to me.

Silver badge

Same mix as a pancake I'm lead to believe - just cooked into the shape of a small bowl ( for filling with peas, gravy and small bits of meat from a Sunday dinner ).

Silver badge

For Lester...

Purely in the interests of science, I would go out drinking on a Friday night and consume one of these when I got home.

Then on the Saturday, again in the interests of science, make a pizza covered in roast beef, roast potatoes and (as described by Richard Sharpe to a French officer in one of the books in Bernard Cornwell's series) "a gravy thick enough to choke a rat" for post-pub consumption that night.

The Sunday is likely to include some up close research in to the plumbing facilities.

Anonymous Coward

I'd give it to my son with tomato ketchup on top as a way of getting him to eat the 3 types of "vegetable" that he will eat all at once. (Ok, we have to stretch the definition of vegetable - tomato ketchup is pretty close, pizza is a bit more dubious but does contain vegetables in the topping, and as he has yorkshire pudding with all roast meats then it must be a vegetable as it is clearly not meat!)

Obviously it needs a snug fitting pizza on top of the cheese and tomato filling and basic toppings. Back of the fag packet suggests 5 3/4" would do nicely.

FIA

Use a spring form cake tin to make a plate sized Yorkshire pud.

Fill with roast potato and slices of delicious roast beef. (maybe some carrot + swede mash to get another 2 of your five).

Cover in onion gravy.

Behold it's beauty.

Eat.

Behold the empty plate.

Experience sadness.

Silver badge

"Use a spring form cake tin to make a plate sized Yorkshire pud."

Springform? You pour the batter into smoking hot oil. It doesn't stick. A high sided pan will ruin the "rustic" appearance. All you need is a 1 to 2" deep metal cake pan.

Silver badge

Cast iron.

The only way to make proper YP: Heat cast iron pan in HOT oven. Pour in dripping (you WANT it to smoke!). Add batter, bang back into HOT oven. Pull when done. Nick the top of each pud to let the steam out (unless you like 'em soggy inside). Serve hot.

I've done this with all kinds of cast iron, ranging from a dozen small muffins, to 8 quart dutch oven, to skillets ranging from 4" to 18", to individual cob-shaped cornbread pans. They all work. The key is HOT (I think I already mentioned that ... ).

You're on your own for the batter. Ask yer gran. I use mine immediately, although some seem to think that letting it sit for awhile works better. For dripping, only proper dripping from actual meat will do.

Silver badge

Re: Cast iron.

Spot on jake, have a hundred upvotes.

Something else to improve your YP's, take a standard recipe and DOUBLE the eggs. Try it and see, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018