back to article Wanna exorcise Intel's secretive hidden CPU from your hardware? Meet Purism's laptops

Purism – a San Francisco, California, social purpose company that flies the flags of privacy, security and software freedom – has begun offering its GNU/Linux-based laptops with Intel's Management Engine disabled. The Intel Management Engine is a hidden coprocessor at the heart of Chipzilla's vPro technology. Part of the …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now, let's see:

Quote: "Nonetheless, Chipzilla will disable this administrative window [...] in its CPUs for demanding government customers."

This presents a slight mystery: surely, if it's such a brilliant thing for the end user, they'd be turning it /on/ for "demanding customers", and only in exchange for extra money, rather than the opposite. :-)

1. tom dial Silver badge

Re: Now, let's see:

HP, for what it's worth, offers AMT on business-targeted PCs and laptops. By my recollection, it is a non-default option offered at a cost somewhere between 0 and around $15. I do not recall seeing it available on consumer grade equipment. Other vendors may differ.

2. dlc.usa
    Happy

Relevance of Link to https://haspoc.sics.se/material/HASPOC_platform_overview.pdf

This is not documenting the NSA HAP specification based upon Intel x86_64/ME motherboards. Rather, it provides an overview of an apparent parallel effort to design a High Assurance Platform by an organization named High Assurance Security Products On COTS platforms (HASPOC) using a Swedish domain and, most interestingly, their design is based upon ARM, not x86_64. I do not know why this was cited in the article, but I am quite happy you brought this group and their work to my attention.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like