back to article May the excessive force be with you: Chap cuffed after Star Trek v Star Wars row turns bloody

A bloke was arrested after a shouting match with a pal over Star Wars versus Star Trek led to blood being spilled. Jerome Dewayne Whyte, 23, was collared by Oklahoma police at 6pm on July 1 after he and his roommate argued about the relative merits of the snooty space opera versus the sci-fi merchandizing vehicle turned …

Anonymous Coward

Mr Flibble is very cross ..!

Silver badge

I used to have an image of that as an error screen on a web app. I should not be allowed to do code unsupervised.

This is the correct order

Firefly

Serenity

Blakes 7

Space 1999 (1st Series)

Sapphire and Steel

The Tomorrow People (70's version)

UFO

and only then can you start to decide where to put Star Wars and Star Trek

Anonymous Coward

Re: This is the correct order

the love boat was the greatest sci-fi ever, Every week new aliens giving opinions and joining in the plots

TRT
Silver badge

Sorry. You had Firefly and Serenity in that list. Meh! No Lexx, I notice. But UFO and Space:1999 are excellent. Dr Who is missed out of course as it goes without saying.

Flame

I am sorry but you have missed the flaming obvious.

WHERE IS "THE BOOK"? How can you have any list like this without it? We quote it, we emulate it, we breath it.... and its not even in your list!

Although I will give you bonus points for Space 1999! I used to love that....

... but am sad that you missed out Joe 90.....

Facepalm

Unbelievable..... .I missed out the CLANGERS!

TRT
Silver badge

The Clangers vs Predator.

Silver badge

Like the Predator even stands a chance.

Nice: it was getting a bit boring reading all those lists of the best sci fi, so you decided to list the worst.

Good job.

Go

In "Clangers vs Predator", the Predator would HAVE to be voiced by a kazoo.

Silver badge

5th Element

Seems to be the one I rewatch the most. I know, I didn't expect it either.

Re: 5th Element

I'm not going to get into the "which one is best" pissing contest, for a huge number of reasons, but in terms of Sci-Fi that I've enjoyed, I'd add in two up and coming newbies:

Killjoys (Canadian made series I believe) for snappy one liners and some interesting long term plot arcs

and

The Expanse. It started fairly badly, I'll grant you, but the plot started to develop nicely by the end of the first season. Hopefully season two will be out some time this century.......

Good call on Killjoys and The Expanse (the book series is epic sci-fi and book 7 out this Xmas)... The Expanse is more Sci-Fi meets old timey Noir detective genre. If like me you'd read the first couple of books before the series came out, then you'll see how they streamlined the plot a little. but book one didn't end until midway through season 2 and we're only halfway through book 2 at the end of S2... So if you are waiting for season to start, you missed it by several months as it's been and gone and is available in various disreputable places.... don't forget that to err is human but to Arrrrrgggg is piracy. :P

If it was a stasis leak... this is where Rimmer would pop out of the table mumbling about things getting all confusing.

and I'd like to throw in Dark Matter currently it and Killjoys have each just started Season 3.

Anonymous Coward

Dark Matter even has some Wesley Crusher to make it vaguely relevant to the argument.

Silver badge

AH!! Sapphire and Steel!!

The only show that made perfect sense - as long as you were stoned.

Back to ST TNG, I always had big issues with the huge effing mistake in the opening Credits; they had the sunlight on the WRONG side Jupiter. Sun clearly on the left, right hand side of the Planet lit up.

Although I suppose it could be worse.

Anyone else notice that (According to Series one of "The 100"), "Gravity" is related to having any air; remove the air from the airlock and you float; pump the air back in, and you sink to the floor - in a rotating space station!!

Re: AH!! Sapphire and Steel!!

> Back to ST TNG, I always had big issues with the huge effing mistake in the opening Credits; they had the sunlight on the WRONG side Jupiter. Sun clearly on the left, right hand side of the Planet lit up.

Obviously the answer is time travel.

Clearly the Xindi went back in time and gave the solar system two suns for the duration of the title and then Captain Archer went back and fixed it.

Club with only one member

Space: Above and Beyond

Re: Club with only one member

Well, thanks for the upvotes guys, I always thought I was the only one.

Silver badge

Wildcards for the win!!!

Silver badge
Mushroom

NUKE THE CHIGS!

Alien

I rewatched the whole series again recently and it holds up really well. OK the Saratoga looks a bit Minecraft but it still looks great. The thread throughout about fear of the other really chimes now with the in-vitros, the AI silicates and even the Chigs.

Icon > Chiggy Von Richthofen

Silver badge
Mushroom

Right, a remake of "Tour of Duty", mashed together with "Top Gun" and "Starship Troopers".

Real logical, train a bunch of people to fly super sophisticated space fighters, then use them as infantry grunts for 90% of the time.

FFS the opening credits contained clones of several ToD credit scenes!!

Angel

You forgot Platoon which was the "inspiration" for Tour of Duty or say Joe Haldeman's The Forever War or Aliens or.........

All I said was I liked it. Didn't say it was original.

Enterprise

I've been watching Enterprise lately. Like all Trek spinoffs it doesn't start getting decent until the 3rd season. I figure it tanked because of the Meh quality of the first two seasons, and Trek exhaustion from so many consecutive years of Trek on TV.

Bronze badge

A few more decent shows that got cancelled before their time, while Star Trek franchises tediously trudged on and on:

Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles

Dark Angel

Defying Gravity

Odyssey 5

Surprised by the enthusiasm of fellow Trekkers ...

... for what I always call Deep Sh*t Nine, .... they don't "Boldly go ... " anywhere. It kind of ruined it for me. Also, they have money. Both Kirk & Picard pontificate often about the nastiness of societies where money makes the world go 'round, even as Riker goes off to play poker and Paramount kept milking the cash cow that ST became. DS9 might have been a very nice series on it's own but it's a black sheep of the ST family, IMHO.

Re: Surprised by the enthusiasm of fellow Trekkers ...

While B5 was always better, I quite liked DS9. Your comment about money would make sence if it had been a federation station, but really it was bajoran under a federation "protectorate" type agreement.

Anonymous Coward

Re: they don't boldly go anywhere

As a rule they didn't really boldly go anywhere in the other series either, given that they'd invariably start each episode in exactly the same place, plot-wise, as they started the previous one.

Silver badge

Just to throw this in the mix.

Tripping the rift. Crude cartoon but sooo funny.

Star Trek: The animated series.

Martian Chronicles

The Invaders

Space 1999

I'm glad there's some love for Space 1999, but not as much as I'd hoped for. Kids these days ...

Bronze badge

As a TV series, Babylon 5 beats all non-anime space operas hands down. Nothing is really close. If we add animated series to the question, Futurama may look better than B5 for some, and Knights of Sidonia is clearly the best space opera / sci-fi series of all times.

Silver badge

@Ramazan

Knights of Sidonia

Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu

Planetes

Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory

Martian Successor Nadesico

Anything with Star in the title is crap

And yes, I include "Stars in their eyes"

This is just proof of why people should stfu regarding Star rubbish.

jussayin...

NONE of you would have a universe to rave about if Voltron didn't defend it...

You're all welcome!

Anonymous Coward

why is it that I can not vote for Star Gate?

Alien

No love

for Red Dwarf??

You're all wrong!!

There is only one true 'Space Opera'........

Piiiigggs in Spaaaacccceeee

Re: You're all wrong!!

*bows*

Many years ago, in the Virgin Games Centre on Oxford Street, I watched a pair of grown men almost come to blows in an argument over who would win in a battle between the USS Enterprise and an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Anonymous Coward

Well since if I recall correctly, the Imperial Star Destroyers used 'turbo lasers', and the USS Enterprise shields were supposed to be impervious to lasers, and it has greater manoeuvrability, I would suspect Enterprise could win, but I am unaware of the other weapons the star destroyer has available.

I would find it a fascinating discussion over a few cold ciders!

MJI
Silver badge

Which Enterprise?

_ and A would do it,

D would walk it

Defiant would absolutely destroy it.

A better one would be the Death Star vs Borg Cube.

Froods

Sitting with my towel, sipping a pangalacticgargleblaster and reading this with bemusement.

Silver badge

Re: Froods

I sass you.

Silver badge

Easy ...

Trumps agenda - plenty of alien bashing in that ...

Trollface

Which is better?

Surely they're all the same?

(Braced and ready for the tirade of downvotes!)

Flame

At least we are safe

From ElRegers growing up

Silver badge

If we are going to go Animé

Cowboy Bebop.

Silver badge

Moonbase Alpha?

Buck Rogers?

Oh.

What about Robotech? The one with the Miss Macross Contest? Minmei?

Or Thunderbirds?

Ah well.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017