back to article BOFH: That's right. Turn it off. Turn it on

"I wasn't built for user support, I know that now," I sigh. "I know," the PFY replies, without looking up from his game. "At one time I thought I could do it but now I know I'm asking too much of myself. I don't like lazy people, stupid people or whiny people." "I know." "I can't stand tinkerers, tweakers, or people who …

Silver badge

Yes, users ARE fickle things...

Two (personal) examples:

One: Our company installed terminals in answering services (in the 80's), and in those places the operators smoked like chimneys. The CRT terminals would attract the smoke and slowly deposit a layer on the front of the screen. We would go to the customer site, and with Windex in hand clean all the terminal screens. Invariably this would elicit comments like "Gee, it works much better now.", without comment about the lack of crud on the screen.

Two: Scene: A recording studio. One day a kid of one of the engineers is fooling around, and gets ahold of the Dymo labeler, and goes to town. He decides to label LOTS of things. At the time the TV show "Laugh-In" was on the air and one of its sayings was "Look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls" (a dictionary). So he proceeds to label a few things (dumb controls that do nothing) as "Funk" and another as "Wagnalls". Fast forward to another day, and another client at the recording studio. Some "executive" is in the control booth and spots the "Funk" control and says "Can I control the funk with this", and the bewildered recording engineer says (knowing the control's history) "sure". End result, a very happy "executive".

So, it happens ALL the time.

Silver badge

time is an illusion (lunchtime, doubly so)

Awkwardly seguing back to chromatic aberration (and relevance to the article, via gravity's rainbow, perhaps?) with

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11553099

skip down to "cube illusion"

Pint

Best BOFH ever.

Have a beer on me.

Silver badge

"Told you what?" the Boss asks, drawn over by both the conversation and the opportunity to avoid doing anything fruitful for the next 1/2 hour.

This sort of implies that at other times the Boss does do something fruitful. Who knew that?

Silver badge

All too real

All too bloody real.

Touche Simon! It is all about perception (whatever that is?)

Chris ex pat from Wellington whom changed landscape to Samoa.

Users = Abusers

Anonymous Coward

I have actually done this... When someone calls and complains about something inane, I often tell them I'm changing something then have them reboot.

Works about 90% of the time. Hell, it even works with low level "IT" people a surprising amount of the time.

I've also been known to announce maintenance operations 2 full days before I actually do them just so see whose gonna whine.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017