back to article Spammy Google Home spouts audio ads without warning – now throw yours in the trash

Google Home, the web giant's internet-connected talking personal assistant, has started spamming audio adverts to unsuspecting folk today. Never before have we witnessed a technology giant destroy a product with such precision-engineered idiocy. Don't be evil? Do us a favor. Promos for Disney's new Beauty and the Beast flick …

Silver badge

$129 and you're *still* the product!

Silver badge

Basically, you can't afford to buy back your privacy. Not even a cabin in the woods can save you from aerial and satellite surveillance.

Silver badge
FAIL

Basically, you can't afford to buy back your privacy. Not even a cabin in the woods can save you from aerial and satellite surveillance.

Yeah you can, easily. They haven't yet come up with a way for a satellite to see through trees (just look at forestry in Google Earth - can you see the ground? No? Then trees provide cover, duh!), and if you use the right kind of trees (pretty much most tall evergreens) even IR can have a hard time getting through.

Just look at any location with fairly dense trees, even in urban areas, and you'll see quickly how much difficulty satellites have with seeing through dense wood. I know of several cabins that are completely invisible until sufficient trees are felled around them - most of the small cabins on Mt Egmont for a start, many in the Tararua's and other popular hunting/tramping areas. Larger ones have some land cleared around them or have enough of a ground-footprint that trees don't cover them, smaller ones about the size of a small bedroom can be completely concealed. Ask S&R people about the ability for helicopters to see through trees even when hovering.

Silver badge

"Yeah you can, easily. They haven't yet come up with a way for a satellite to see through trees (just look at forestry in Google Earth - can you see the ground? No?"

No, but just because YOU can't see it doesn't mean someone else CAN see all the way to the ground AND is keeping it a secret. Always assume your adversary is more capable than they're letting on. After all, isn't the data center in Utah really just a cover for a working quantum computer busily cracking all the historic crypto that's being housed there?

Seems like a useful feature

As a first attempt this sounds quite useful. You've asked it what your day is like, it's told you what's in your calendar, what the weather is like and what your commute is like and then it adds in other things that you may be interested in doing today but hadn't otherwise thought of.

It probably needs to be more tailored to the user but if you visit the cinema reguarly (and if you have a default setup Android phone then Google knows everywhere you visit) then this could good.

Silver badge

Re: Seems like a useful feature

It's useful if you are mentally deficient in some serious way.

Or if you want to pretend that you live in some scifi series that never ends, starring Halle Berry.

Trollface

Hows my day looking?

And one day the answer is

"Well, I've had look at the NHS data on you, and to be honest, your day is not looking good. By the way, did you know there is a good undertaker in the High Street, would you like me to make you an appointment>"

Dear Google

I never wanted one of these things before and I most definitely do not want one now.

Go and fuck yourselves with something sharp.

re Beauty and the Beast

Y'all do realise there's a new live-action flick out there starring some numpty from Downton Abbey and the bint from Harry Plotter, right?

So for those frothing at he mouth about some dodgy French offering from years ago, calm down dear - it's only a commercial! (And it's a little late to be worrying about kids being exposed to the sort of behaviour that would make Grandma blush - it seems you can't open a "news"paper or turn on the TV without some "equality" group pushing their own agenda at the cost of everyone else's rights and there's nothing to stop 'da kidz' seeing every bit of it)

> it'll make you reconsider the myth that Google hires only the smartest people on the planet.

Which smart person ever thought that???

Silver badge
Meh

@red_tiger

it'll make you reconsider the myth that Google hires only the smartest people on the planet.

Which smart person ever thought that???

*This doesn't apply when talking about (most) Marketing people.

Bronze badge

Next ad up.

"It's estimated that you're in the bottom 5% in satisfying your partner. How about the new performance tracking condom?"

5 year old boy looks bewildered and call for mommy...

Anonymous Coward

"Google's official response to this is absolutely pants-on-head mad"

Thats a beautiful one-line summary of the whole thing El Reg. Have a pint on me -> \_/

These big companies have got so wrapped up in trying to out-do each other, that they've completely overlooked that a lot of people don't want or need this bullshit.

Silver badge

It's pretty simple: If someone payed Google for the the content to be delivered, then it's an ad.

I'd never have any of these devices at home. Do people actually for real talk to their devices?

Silver badge

If Star Trek can do it, why can't we is probably the mindset of most of the people targeted.

Go surface yourselves

"This wasn’t intended to be an ad." So no monetary exchange was involved in the "surfacing of this unique content"? [I was just sick a little bit in my mouth typing that]

Anonymous Coward

It would almost be worth its purchase price

To be able to - literally - bring down a hammer on its unsolicited ad-vice. I'm sure there's even some enterprising Youtube personality out there who could recoup the purchase cost with the ad revenue from the video.

Anon because, Trump.

Silver badge
Coat

Re: It would almost be worth its purchase price

there's even some enterprising Youtube personality out there who could recoup the purchase cost with the ad revenue from the video.

I think that would somehow that would bring new meaning to the term "circle jerk".

Mushroom

Really?

This surprises you? WTF do you expect from a MARKETING COMPANY!?

Anonymous Coward

Google grooming and evolution

Google started out as the creepy guy in a greasy raincoat following people around and keeping kiddies interested by giving them sweeties. Google has now talked its way in and the guy in a greasy raincoat is sitting in my lounge, stillhanding out sweeties to the kiddies he is grooming.

Bronze badge

I would not want to be associated with anyone that allowed this device in their home.

No surprise here!

LOL, I saw this coming from a mile away. OF COURSE Google is going to spew ads through this.

You basically put a piece of hardware in your house that is dirctly connected to a giant company who makes their money, wait for it, selling ads!

Do you also not think that they're listening to what TV shows you're watching, keywords in coversations, etc? It IS always listening btw - it has to in order to pick up on keywords such has OK Google to activate it.

Big Brother

"But it was alright, everything was alright, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Google.”

― George Orwell, 1984

Joke

Shock news! Device from advertising company plays advertisment!

Google is an advertising company. Seriously, what did you people expect?

What is most surprising about this article:

a)- Device from advertising company plays advertisements

b) People with AdBlock Plus surprised to discover everyone else sees adverts

c) No-one likes advertisements, but everyone likes Google

d) The Register finds fault with IT company who is not Apple (or HP)

Anonymous Coward

Single Function Devices. Not for me

If it could be integrated with one of those robot vacuum cleaners, which could also double as a lawn mower and would fetch me beers from the fridge and use its Ham and Cheese Toastie George Foreman attachment, I might consider it a worthwhile additional technological gadget and useful for society.

This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018