back to article Grumpy Trump trumped, now he's got the hump: Muslim ban beaten back by appeals court

President Trump has suffered a serious blow to his authority following a decision by a court of appeals against his controversial travel ban. Late Thursday, the Ninth Circuit in San Francisco denied an emergency motion to lift an injunction against the ban, which restricted people from seven Muslim-majority countries from …

Re: Don't let Trump speak officially in the UK.

I think both Microsoft and foreigners who insert their opinions about American politics are both abominations. There....two birds with but one stone.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Don't let Trump speak officially in the UK.

Some English seem to have fallen in love with Trump and are determined to have the speaker of the house thrown out because he doesn't like Trump to speak in the house. The vote on this could be quite revealing regarding the balance between decency and imaginary relief from responsibility.

This post has been deleted by its author

JWG

Ahh, guys, any of you ever hear of the Constitution?

Now I can understand that any of the comments here posted by citizens of the United Kingdom don't have the foggiest idea about the US Constitution, but any American citizens who've never read it, or if they did, didn't understand it (since it's written at a fifth grade reading level, (which leaves out most devout liberals, progressives, and/or Democrats) here's a clue: the US Constitution grants the President as the only decider as to what constitutes "National Security", not Congress, not the courts. Secondly, the laws on immigration which the Congress has passed over the years, have ceded to the President the authority and responsibility to carefully screen all those people who wish to enter our shores. Immigration is a privilege, not a right. The President has the right under the Cinstitution and immigration laws to refuse entry to anyone, for any reason, particularly if he/she deems such persons as potential risks to our national security. We have borders for a reason. SCOTUS has made many, many rulings over the years upholding these presidential powers. The Ninth Circuit (which has a lifetime average of being overturned by SCOTUS, even when the court was controlled by liberal justices, of over 85% - I wouldn't bet the farm that they won't be overturned, and for the umpteenth time, admonished by the Supremes for extreme judicial overreach). I'm not a big Trump supporter (it was "hose the nose" time fir the election), however, when SCOTUS gets this big sticking pile landed in their laps, their answer will likely be swift, pointed in reversing the Ninth, yet again. If you want to respond to this, please, read the constitution and 8USC1182 first before making any uniformed responses.

Re: Ahh, guys, any of you ever hear of the Constitution?

One of these days, you should read your constitution. It doesn't mention the words "National Security", or even any 19th century equivalent term. It also says very little about either the powers or duties of the president.

Beginning with an ad hom attack on the intelligence of liberals and Democrats isn't a great way to convince people you're not a Trump fan.

As for the court's decision, well, we'll have to wait and see. Certainly the conservatives and Republicans who are happy to grant that Trump does have the power to determine immigration policy were just as adamant that President Obama didn't have such power, and he was blocked by that same Supreme Court you seem quite confident will allow Trump to proceed.

Bronze badge

Yup. I'm a Brit and I know this is going to get over-turned...

Silver badge
Big Brother

before making any uniformed responses.

Yours clearly is brown.

Silver badge

You could have worked in "and the 9th circuit is in the Out Of Control State of California". Spleling, punctuation. sentences and paragraphs are probably outside your ken, though.

Silver badge

"here's a clue: the US Constitution grants the President as the only decider as to what constitutes "National Security", not Congress, not the courts."

Yeah, no it doesn't.

"have ceded to the President the authority and responsibility to carefully screen all those people who wish to enter our shores"

Nope. "Traditionally deferred to" does not translate to Ceded. Buy a dictionary and read it.

"The President has the right under the Cinstitution and immigration laws to refuse entry to anyone, for any reason."

No he doesn't. Read the 5th and 14th Amendments.

"SCOTUS has made many, many rulings over the years upholding these presidential powers"

Fucktrumpery. Gosh you're on a roll here.

"I'm not a big Trump supporter"

WHAHAHAHAHAHA

"please, read the constitution and 8USC1182 first before making any uniformed responses"

And by Uniformed response, you mean returning the Wayward Colony back to the Empire from whence it came, given that you've managed to fuck up the management hereof to such stellar levels?

You win the award for the most spectacularly uniNformed post of the year. Read your own damn Constitution. And a dictionary.

Silver badge
Pint

jake posted a one-word joke.

"Spleling"

Priceless.

Anonymous Coward

"jake posted a one-word joke."

Indeed - my first take was of the word as "spieling".

'the US Constitution grants the President as the only decider as to what constitutes "National Security"'

That's deciderer to you, fish face.

Anonymous Coward

you mean returning the Wayward Colony back to the Empire from whence it came

Oi! We don't want it back.. we have enough problems with right-wing nutters of our own thankyouverymuch.

Silver badge

> The President has the right under the Cinstitution and immigration laws to refuse entry to anyone,

And yet you can't even spell it.

But, exactly, he can refuse entry to any_one_. He can do so by naming that person.

Silver badge

Not a joke. Rather an intentional heading off of Muphry's law ... I've used it before, I'll use it again. Old habit, leftover from mailing lists and USENET ... although I first started using it when bleeding on (proofreading and marking up with a red pencil) inter-office memos just before the mimeograph stage. A simple mispleling on the cover-sheet produced more dates with the departmental secretary ;-)

He's not angry...

I don't think he's angry as such, all caps in his tweet just means he's really, Really, REALLY, *REALLY* excited that he's managed to figure out all by himself* where judges work.

*With only a little bit of help from President Bannon**

** And the internetz

Silver badge

Re: He's not angry...

Oh, President Bannon. I hadn't thought of that but you're right. Bannon is to Trump what Cheney was to Bush. Bannon is the Presidents brain. The new dark lord, the real power behind the throne.

Flame

Poor Donnie

Sorry Donnie, you didn't get to ban the muslims after all. I'd point out that those judges just made my America slightly safer by shutting down your fuckery, but you're too dumb to understand causational relationships and how the muslim extremists would use that ban to bolster recruitment. Read that again, you're too dumb. You're not just rolling dice in a game of Risk here, your actions have real consequences. Honestly, keep doing what you're doing. You'll fail bigly, you'll be impeached, and it will be even easier to keep Pence on a leash than your dumb ass.

Silver badge
Pint

Re: Poor Donnie

Tank boy posted, "...but you're too dumb..."

Your correct spelling of "you're" and "too" is certain to cause confusion and consternation amongst the extreme right.

Well played.

Anonymous Coward

Shame on you all

Trump is trying to make America great again and these unelected so called 'judges' are trying to ruin a nation and ruin his great works. You need to stop and ask yourself what their agenda actually is? Maybe these so called 'judges' should stick to enforcing the laws the President hands down to them, ether than trying to make them up. Remember a large majority of US citizens (I.e. the ones whose opinions matter) voted for him because they all knew Trump would deliver, whereas Obama just wanted to smile into the nearest camera and talk lots of hot air.

And shame on you The Registrar. You used to be a fair to middling tech site, but now, like the rest of the media, you're acting childish because your third wave feminist narrative has been shown up for the rank hypocracy that it is. And you commenters. Stop having opinions that shame a nation. If any of you were brave you'd use your real names and post your home address too so we could all meet up for some reasoned discussion and a cup of tea. But no, you just want to be spiteful about President Trump and First Lady Melanoma. She is a credit to the nation, having been a lady wife to the great man for decades. Her clothes range keeps prosperous America looking beautiful and she must cry to listen to what you're saying about her husband.

If any of he so called 'judges' are reading this: back off, let go. What do you know about the law anyway.

Re: Shame on you all

Nice bit of satire there :-)

Silver badge

Spectacular :-)

Silver badge

"Spectacular :-)"

But probably going over a few heads. It took Melanoma to make sure it landed right side up.

Silver badge

Poe's law and all that.

Silver badge

"It took Melanoma to make sure it landed right side up."

That was when the penny dropped for me as well. Was getting all hot and bothered until I read that.

Trollface

"a cup of tea"

They threw out all the tea, remember?

Pint

Have an upvote and a beer. Like other commentards I was only 100% sure at "Melanoma". :-)

Silver badge

RE: "They threw out all the tea, remember?"

That's why you can't get a decent cuppa in the states without importing something from the Pale Empire.

Silver badge

I'm still not 100% sure. One of my spleling check hers wants to change the name to Melanoma.

Thumb Up

One of my spleling check hers wants to change the name to Melanoma.

'spleling check hers' vs 'spelling checkers'

I see what you did there...

Anonymous Coward

I did wonder if I'd troweled it on a bit thick in the first few paragraphs...

Anonymous Coward

To create a totalitarian or authoritarian regime first you must remove the checks and balances of democracy.

How do you do that? If it was me I would undermine the legal system first then I would go for the legislative branch which is exactly what Trump is going for.

In case you are wondering I live on an island in the pacific where I stroke my cat while I plan to take over the world, feel free to stop by and I'll happily tell you all my plans before I put you in a certain death situation that you will invariably escape from.

Anonymous Coward

"To create a totalitarian or authoritarian regime first you must remove the checks and balances of democracy."

First you push your powers to rule by decree - claiming you are obeying the will of the patriotic people who elected you. Then you appoint heads of executive branches who have espoused your views to make the country great again by any means. Add to your inner circle some powerful business owners who see a profit in the implementation.

Renege on international agreements and blame other countries for your ills. Make vague threats of war to those who won't appease you. Accelerate a build up of your armed forces.

Demonise minorities and any internal opposition. Falsely attribute any major incidents to a minority or the opposition. Make the media your censored mouthpiece for fake news.

To get judicial things interpreted to your benefit - insert judges who know which side their bread is buttered. For those judges who are too principled and hold high positions - send the boys to suggest quietly that they should think about retiring to care for their loved ones.

It has worked many times before.

Anonymous Coward

"First you push your powers to rule by decree - claiming you are obeying the will of the patriotic people who elected you."

First you push your powers to rule by decree - claiming you are obeying the will of the patriotic people who elected you. You proclaim that the country is under a great threat from outside.

FTFM (viz edit)

Anonymous Coward

"First you push your powers to rule by decree - claiming you are obeying the will of the patriotic people who elected you. You proclaim that the country is under an immediate, existential threat from outside such that the only warning you'll get of them coming is the H-bomb detonated 20 miles over South Dakota to fry all the electricals; then all the immigrants who came in in the meantime will suddenly rise up and overpower everyone because they learned to live without electricity. Unless I have total and immediate power, America can DIE on a moment's notice and there'll be nothing you can do to stop it."

There, FTFTFY. And yes, there really are people out there who honestly believe it.

Silver badge
Coat

I live on an island in the pacific where I stroke my cat while I plan to take over the world

You can't be that bad - you like cats. Dog-lovers, on the other hand[1]..

[1] OK, OK. So I has dog too. And dogs before. Lets just call it 'complex personality'..

So how long before a CIA run "Terrorist" attack on the US do we think?

Silver badge
Pirate

@chris jasper

About a month :(

Silver badge

So how long before a CIA run "Terrorist" attack on the US do we think?

You mean, like the fake ones that the FBI uses to entrap confused lower-intelligence people into so as to increase their appearance of Doing Stuff(tm)?

Bronze badge

Nah!

That was such a contradictory post that one of mine, what was I thinking of? Oh! I remember, wind the bleating heart lefties up, that was it!

Re: Nah!

That should be "bleeding heart", personally mine doesn't have vocal chords, so "bleating" would be tricky.

Silver badge

Re: wind the bleating heart lefties up

Ba-a-ah!

Silver badge

Re: wind the bleating heart lefties up

Well, it IS lambing season ... Nearly over now, thankfully.

Any other country???

Presumably then if the ban had been on any other, predominantly white, non-Muslim country it would have been fine. All the focus appears to be the fact that these are Muslim countries.

Bunch of total hypocrites!

Silver badge

Re: Any other country???

Well, no, I think any blanket ban that discriminates against any group and is unfair, especially where a greater good cannot be demonstrated (as opposed to speculated) would have been opposed. If Trump had tried to block all Christians from South America (but letting in the atheists from those countries), it would still be wrong and would still be opposed.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

> If Trump had tried to block all Christians from South America (but letting in the atheists from those countries), it would still be wrong and would still be opposed.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/trump-nobody-except-me-gets-to-question-someone-elses-religion/

His own website states he wanted a Muslim Immigration ban.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/donald-j.-trump-statement-on-preventing-muslim-immigration

He stated it while on the campaign trail as well.

Want to try and deny it's a ban on Muslims again?

Just because it's been renamed and had the word Muslim removed does not mean it's a different ban.

Silver badge

Oh dear...

... the liberal left walked right into this one and shot their feet off.

By appearing not to care about the security of the US the liberal left have left themselves wide open to having everything that even appears to attack the country or its people laid on them - 'see what happens when you let the left have control'.

Doing this also consolidates Trump's position with those the left hates and puts him in a much stronger position for a second term, but then it appears the left isn't noted for thinking only emoting.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017