back to article Programmer finds way to liberate ransomware'd Google Smart TVs

Television production factory LG has saved Darren Cauthon's new year by providing hidden reset instructions to liberate his Google TV from ransomware. The company initially demanded more money than the idiot box was worth to repair the TV and relented offering instructions for resetting the telly after Cauthon took to Twitter …

IT Angle

Don't call it the "Internet of Things"

Instead, call it the "Infrastructure-Dependent Internet of Things" — much more appropriate initialism.

Anonymous Coward

Surprised this gets press

Given it's obvious staged nature, but the Amazon Alexa going mental and spewing filth infringement of the kid got buried.

https://youtu.be/r5p0gqCIEa8

Funny old world full of hidden agendas....

Anonymous Coward

LG hide features in service modes

I was able to 'upgrade' my TV to be able to play video from the USB 'service' socket simply by the use of an IR remote. Range of TVs, some priced with 'multimedia' capability, others not. Bought the 'not', turned out it was there all along....

I want my TV to be a TV.

So I watch the video for 10 minutes only for the end to be cut off!! I dont believe him now...

Silver badge

Power on while holding the reset key. That seems familiar. ;)

Stop

What a bunch of I'm-so-edgy

Reportedly, this guy deliberately messed with the firmware in order to sideload a piracy app. I don't know if that is true, but hardly anybody is questioning his innocence.

Which is logical, as this is great fodder for people who like to feel edgy (even though you can brick a "dumb" TV as well by messing with the firmware) and great clickbait for news outlets.

Oh and then "Why did LG hesitate so much to give him the reset procedure? Why isn't it public? CONSPIRACY TO CHARGE FOR REPAIR!" The standard reset procedure IS public! It's in the menu! But the menu wasn't accessible because the TV was bricked, of course. So the only way to reset it was through the technician's menu. You know why TV manufacturers don't publicize how to get into the technician's menu? Because it lets you brick your TV even further without warnings! (And that was the case in the "dumb" era too)

But rave on. Get an old "dumb" TV and enjoy the set-top box mess and shitty picture quality.

Oh and burn LG at the stake while you're at it. I agree with the person above (downvoted into oblivion of course) that LG should investigate and maybe sue this guy and all these news outlets. But it looks like LG are letting themselves being trampled over. They aren't good at marketing, which is a shame as they make great products nowadays.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017