back to article Higher tech prices ARE here to stay. It's Mr Farage's new Britain

One of the UK’s biggest slingers of print services has warned customers it can no longer afford to fully soak up rising prices from printer hardware makers, which jumped after the EU referendum and now look like permanent mark-ups. Danwood has written to clients that have a service or print services agreement to inform them of …

Anonymous Coward

Re: Trade deals

Well said!

"Our food production is driven by low skilled EU migration"

That's my favorite part, just like the immigrant Mexican people here in California (the 6th largest economy in the world. we say fuck you, Mr. Tramp) there is no other way around it. You NEED these low level workers, you need them BADLY. Why? Because who's going to fill their places? You? (not you, nsld) Your kids? HA! I'm sure my daughter will be complete shit at picking strawberries, with a hair brush in one hand and an iPhone in the other. Face it, people, the immigrants of the world are a nice source of cheap labor, and locking them out leaves you in the dirt. Literally.

So, get out of the fucking EU already, Blighty! Strap on your boots, and get out there and harvest some crops for Queen and Country! Or starve, either way, the world is laughing AT you, not WITH you.

We'll deal with the conspiracy president and his hermaphrodite companion. You'll see.

Silver badge

Re: @AC

Hell the EU even dictates what can be called jam the nutters.

You're right we should let the food manufacturers have no regulation on the labelling of food. Thats going to work brilliantly.

"Two, if we get rid of employment protections and things like environmental regulations and product safety, more fool us"

Things we did before and apparently provided a lot of the inspiration for the current rules.

Hi I'd like you to meet our current goverment...

Anonymous Coward

"The UK will either have to accept the shitty end of the stick in these trade talks or carry on getting slapped around with tariffs. In other words the UK has just volunteered to be the small kid that everyone else picks on in the playground."

It is much easier to strike a deal 1:1 with a major trading nation then wait for Walloonia to get its clog subsidies in place. China India and the US are all lined up. The UK will no longer be so dependent on a sinking continent

And you forget the only thing that matters: Germany needs to export to the UK. Their auto industry will be rioting if the EU insists on tariffs. I'm getting the popcorn in.

I am glad you are not in charge of anything important.

"And you forget the only thing that matters: Germany needs to export to the UK. Their auto industry will be rioting if the EU insists on tariffs."

Hi Govey!

You're flat wrong by the way. Politics will trump economics - the EU will not give us tariff free access unless we accept the four freedoms and that is that. They cannot give us a special deal as it will encourage others trying it on.

Silver badge

Re: Trade deals

With any luck, Brits will go pick berries in Poland 10 years from now. If we can get a visa.

Anonymous Coward

>And you forget the only thing that matters: Germany needs to export to the UK. Their auto industry will be rioting if the EU insists on tariffs.

You massively underestimate Germany's capacity to adapt - West Germany took a 3 trillion Euro hit when it welcomed East Germany at unification and did so, broadly speaking, happily. Secondly German cars are an expensive, status option - they might reduce their prices a little, but UK consumers will pay a larger premium or maybe just keep cars a couple of months longer before upgrade. Thirdly the German manufacturers, notably VAG, are currently absorbing fines and other costs post-emissions fraud which dwarf potential tariffs.

>I'm getting the popcorn in.

You'll notice a 20% price hike if it's Joe & Seph's - sugar import cost up 10% and butter's up 50p a kilo too since October.

Silver badge

"The good news being that as soon as we voted leave the doom prophecy was proven wrong and people suddenly came asking for trade deals as soon as we are out. Including China if I remember right."

Uk.gov brexiteers were out offering potential trade deals even before the vote.

India was being offered visa free travel to the UK by a desperate Minister for Employment citing there'd be more space for Indian migrants after brexit!

That'll go down well with the brexit voting English public. Just like the fake "Hordes of Turks" story did.

Silver badge

Theresa May scuppered his efforts by putting a block on Chinese investment in Hinckley Point and making it clear she doesn't trust the Chinese.

That must be some alternate reality where Hinckley Point C isn't going ahead.

Anonymous Coward

A: "Theresa May scuppered his efforts by putting a block on Chinese investment in Hinckley Point and making it clear she doesn't trust the Chinese."

B: "That must be some alternate reality where Hinckley Point C isn't going ahead."

I think it's the Theresa May reality where she knows what makes sense for the public and says very publically that she'll do it (e.g. no to Chinese involvement in Hinckley Point, yes to worker representatives on corporate boards) and then shortly afterwards with rather less publicity a minion reveals that Ms May may have been mis-speaking, and that we'll continue with business as usual (paraphrased).

Silver badge

"The empire is gone and, without it, there's no obligation on the commonwealth"

We have many many immigrants originally from the Commonwealth now here. I think there will be much desire to trade with the UK in those countries...

Before we were sometimes seen as the colonial oppressor, but I think that perception has now largely faded.

Silver badge

@ Dr_N

"Uk.gov brexiteers were out offering potential trade deals even before the vote."

Well that at least suppers the argument that leave had no plan. And its pretty good to know that after giving the responsibility of trade to the EU that we have the skills here to go get em ourselves.

"That'll go down well with the brexit voting English public. Just like the fake "Hordes of Turks" story did."

I hear Austria is arguing Turkeys EU membership talks should be stopped. Doesnt sound like they have much support for that though.

Silver badge

@codemunky

"Well that at least suppers the argument that leave had no plan. And its pretty good to know that after giving the responsibility of trade to the EU that we have the skills here to go get em ourselves."

You poor, deluded fellow.

Silver badge

@ Dr_N

Cheers for the name suggestion, considered similar myself a couple of times. I am interested to see which part you think I am deluded about though.

Silver badge

@chodejunky

" I am interested to see which part you think I am deluded about though."

That you think Priti Patel is some kind if ace UK trade deal negociator. Or that countries are lining up to do the UK some massive favour. Name them if so.

Silver badge

@ Dr_N

"That you think Priti Patel is some kind if ace UK trade deal negociator."

I would love to see you quote where I say that. At all. And I see your still having difficulty writing my name. Someone responding to one of my previous posts claimed that invalidated the entire post. Personally I just see it as an opportunity to mention ctrl-C and ctrl-V.

"Or that countries are lining up to do the UK some massive favour. Name them if so."

What are you on about massive favour? We all trade because its in our own favour and deals can be done much quicker with 1 country than with every member of the EU. But New Zealand did offer us their negotiators to get out of the EU. As for lining up there was China, Australia I think India mentioned something and a few others. And while Obama talked about us at the back of the Queue the noises of those behind him seemed to disagree. Off the top of my head.

Silver badge

Theresa May scuppered his efforts by putting a block on Chinese investment in Hinckley Point and making it clear she doesn't trust the Chinese.

That must be some alternate reality where Hinckley Point C isn't going ahead.

No, it's this reality where May announced that she would "review" Chinese involvement in the programme. It's well known that she hates the idea of Chinese involvement - the Chinese are particularly aware of this. However once she announced her "review" irritating the living crap out of the Chinese government at the time of Hammond's kow-towing in Beijing the Chinese proceeded to blackmail exert diplomatic pressure to get her to remove her derriere from the pot without shitting in it first.

As documented here: China threatens Theresa May

Anonymous Coward

Re: China threatens Theresa May

That widely reported threat was in the Spectator in August 2016.

By September 2016, May had unsurprisingly come around, and the Chinese had got what they wanted, though this wasn't quite so widely covered, and may not immediately have reached the Spectator and its readers. This from the FT on 15 Sep:

"UK gives go-ahead for 'revised' £18bn Hinkley Point plant

Theresa May has given the go-ahead to the £18bn Hinkley Point power plant under a revised agreement that has been welcomed by the French developer and Chinese state-owned investor behind Europe’s biggest energy project.

The UK prime minister gave her assent on Thursday to build Britain’s first new nuclear plant in a generation, but has attached conditions that give it the right to block utility company EDF from selling its stake in the project during construction."

Downing Street also said the government would take a “special share” in all future nuclear new-build projects including a proposed reactor at Bradwell in Essex being developed by China’s state company CGN. CGN is one of the investors in Hinkley Point. [continues]"

https://www.ft.com/content/466704e6-7a4b-11e6-b837-eb4b4333ee43

Silver badge

"We have many many immigrants originally from the Commonwealth now here. I think there will be much desire to trade with the UK in those countries..."

Yes, those countries will export many nice food items TO the UK. Payed for by money going OUT OF the UK?

Get it?

Silver badge

More than just economic uncertainty

"Life is getting more expensive for Brits since the EU referendum heaped a whole load of uncertainty onto the economy."

And that's just one form of uncertainty. Mrs H has decided to leave the sunny South of England and join me here in The Hague and look for a job while she can under freedom of movement.

I'm just off the phone with a chat with one of my oldest friends, Miss F of London - a Leave voter, who claimed that we shouldn't worry as Brits would never have any problems moving to the rest of Europe. When I suggested that surely any UK limits on immigration would be reciprocated on this side of the North Sea Miss F's response was basically "pooh-pooh". I'm just staggered. Sorry if this is incoherent, but I'm just stunned that someone can vote that way and then claim it won't have any impact?!?!?

Re: More than just economic uncertainty

@H in the Hague

But she knows we're British don't cha kno? Johnny Foreigner, strange cove, talks gibberish, knows what side his bread is buttered what! He'll let his betters in or we won't buy an Audi every 8 years.

The old Queen Mum, Gawd bless 'er. won us the war she did. Hosted knees ups in the Blitz rubble by day, Flew a Beaufighter by night. 8 confirmed kills. Neeeeeowwwwwww, dagga dagga dagga, take that Huns!

Rule Britannia etc........................................(fades off into the distance in an apt metaphor for British economic prosperity)

Silver badge

"Sorry if this is incoherent,"

It is but the incoherence isn't yours.

"but I'm just stunned that someone can vote that way and then claim it won't have any impact?!?!?"

Believing it wouldn't have any impact is what enabled them to vote that way.

Lord Rust, is that you ?

Anonymous Coward

"The old Queen Mum, Gawd bless 'er. won us the war she did. Hosted knees ups in the Blitz rubble by day, Flew a Beaufighter by night. 8 confirmed kills. Neeeeeowwwwwww, dagga dagga dagga, take that Huns!"

Sounds just like Boris! Thanks for the laugh.

You appear to have been sold a delusional fantasy that the world is lining up to do deals with us and that Britain will get to dictate the terms.

This isn't a war film . We don't win by digging in against huge odds and having a bit of a go.

Coat

"We don't win by digging in against huge odds and having a bit of a go."

How about giving Johnny Foreigner a taste of cold steel ?

Sorry, second PTerry reference in 5 minutes. Mine's the one with a copy of Jingo in the pocket.

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

huge odds

We don't win by digging in against huge odds and having a bit of a go.
Indeed not. That isn't how we survived in 1940, either: we ran out of cash and were saved by being lent the stuff we needed (like food and guns) by the USA. And we only got out of economic dependency on the USA in the 1970s... after we joined the Common Market. I don't think the USA will lend us the stuff we need (like food and iPhones) when we run out of cash in 2020.

Paris, because she's crying for us.

But, but ..Champagne is almost free

A bottle of champagne for a price equivalent to less than about two hours work at minimum wage?

You people really are suffering under austerity.

OK, it was Tesco, and it was non vintage.

Re: But, but ..Champagne is almost free

"OK, it was Tesco, and it was non vintage."

i think you'll find it was Lidl ;-)

Silver badge

Did you factor in taxes? Including council tax, which seems to buy us f*ck all around here.

Anonymous Coward

Oddly enough, Lidl do a very good job with their wine selection.

If we're talking austerity the cost of champagne is neither here nor there, it's not going to make a significant difference to your cost of living unless you have very questionable priorities when setting your household budget. In any case, the people being kicked in the balls by austerity aren't moaning about the cost of champagne, they've got far more important things to worry about.

Housing costs are crippling, NHS services are being pushed to the point of failure, benefits (both in and out of work) are being slashed left right and centre. And despite this we've got an electorate which is making decisions which will pile on yet more costs, and likely lead to falling tax receipts as well. With a Tory government at the helm that means yet more austerity to come. Probably not what most voters in the North of England had in mind, but they've made their bed now.

Silver badge
Flame

Rip off Britain

It's exactly the same scenario we've put up with for years. These firms think we can't work out the sodding prices others are paying using the exchange rates. Utter bastards, the lot of 'em. The only people worse off are the Irish, who get the same shafting while these multinationals bum off their lower corporation tax as a gateway into Europe.

Brexit be damned, it's just a poor bloody excuse to make an already obscene price differential worse.

/rant off

Silver badge

Re: Rip off Britain

"The only people worse off are the Irish, who get the same shafting while these multinationals bum off their lower corporation tax as a gateway into Europe."

Not that one again? Ireland sets its corporation tax for the best outcome for Ireland. Low corporation tax strategy is one the works for countries with a relatively small local tax base. It brings in far more tax overall than a high tax strategy would and means that the local tax base is at a competitive advantage by sharing the low tax rates.

Silver badge

Re: Rip off Britain

Yes, the Irish government get the revenue. The Irish people get shat upon, just as we do, with higher prices, probably simply for driving on the correct side of the road.

^-- bait. (I know it costs more to produce RHD vehicles for predominantly LHD manufacturers)

Silver badge

"El Reg asked UKIP, whose leader has discussed Brexit for years, what advice he'd impart to the British"

Obviously, if you want to have leaders like Boris and May in back-taken control, with Farage on the sideline, you will have to make some personal sacrifices. It's well worth it, I'm sure!

Taking back control was as much about the unelected b/crats in Brussels dictating to us the Brits what they want us to do as about limiting immigration and removing our right to self determination.

Im an independent sod, have always survived or fallen by my own efforts and thought to my self what price am I prepared to pay to keep my country's democratic freedoms?

especially since there were many hundreds of thousands of our kinfolk who paid the ultimate price so that we could choose our own future!!

to think otherwise is a betrayal of their memory.

so what price am I prepared to pay?

Id be happy to take a fall in my pension to keep my freedom.

I also have faith in our innate ability to make good out of adversity.

If we have a hard brexit and fall back on the WT customs rates well still be better off than staying in the EU.

Gold badge
Unhappy

I keep thinking of an episode of The Professionals.

this one. around 42:58

Sadly no chance of sorting this out with a double tap to the skull.

Silver badge

Not Just Brexit

There's also upward pressure on memory and SSD prices due to a demand/supply imbalances for flash and DRAM.

Bronze badge

Leave = Teenager

The "Leave" movement was basically like a sullen teenager who has decided that he wants to divorce his parents because they keep insisting for him to say "Please" and "Thank you", and yelling at him to get a shower or tidy up his bedroom. What he has failed to think through is that after the split, he probably will still have to say "Please", "Thank you" and maintain some semblance of hygiene around other adults. And he probably won't be able to borrow the car, or a ton out of Mum's purse, anytime he pleases anymore.

The only thing I'm surprised about is whose decision it ultimately was for Britain to leave the EU. I was fully expecting us to get kicked out, as opposed to walking out .....

Silver badge

Re: Leave = Teenager

@ JulieM

That is an interesting comparison since the sullen teenagers I know of were all for the EU and really disliked the idea of leaving the house and joining the world (as with your analogy). And the tantrums after! You would have thought if they cared so much they would have voted remain in the referendum instead of not turning out.

I was hoping we could be thrown out when Cameron abandoned his promise to do as he was told or even to stick around as he also promised. In fact even now as the anti democracy attempts are being made with claims of the 48% somehow being in the right or other childish claims it would be nice if the EU would cut us free. Instead I keep hearing how they want us to remain and will do what they can to make leaving look worse than remaining.

Silver badge

"Instead I keep hearing how they want us to remain and will do what they can to make leaving look worse than remaining."

I think that's more about frightening off anyone else thinking of leaving rather than trying to get us to stay.

Silver badge

@ John Brown (no body)

"I think that's more about frightening off anyone else thinking of leaving rather than trying to get us to stay."

Extremely probable since the warm and friendly EU have admitted as much. But the offers to remain do seem pretty desperate since they know 52% of the population would prefer to leave and thats after all the rigging and direct threats.

Silver badge

Extremely probable since the warm and friendly EU have admitted as much. But the offers to remain do seem pretty desperate since they know 52% of the population would prefer to leave and thats after all the rigging and direct threats.

No. That was the percentage of people who turned out to vote, not of the population. Not that it makes difference in the outcome, but is an important distinction.

Printing costs have been underpriced for years

The retail cost of digital print has been underpriced for years; Independent resellers cannot compete because they cannot even buy the toner for the price that the likes of KM and Xerox charge for a click. I for one welcome this news and look forward to a much more prosperous year for our company.

There used to be good profit in IT, but that has all gone now thanks to cheap imports. If the cost of imports goes up then people will keep equipment for longer and have it serviced rather than keep going out and buying new and throwing perfectly good equipment away because it is cheaper to buy a new one than it is to replace the print copy cartridge.

I look forward to being able to be competitive in the years to come rather than being undercut by the concessionaires at every turn; And if you don't like it then there are another 27 countries that you can go and live in.

get what you want, or rather did not but gonna get

Hi all, the lies told to you are going to come back and bite, Those that were silly enough to want brexit are either politicians or of a lower intellect. If you could not see it coming then you are not a politician. It will pan out like this. For a new car going to the EEC there will be a tax, about 5-10%. That will be paid for by the UK buyers. This will increase the cost of a new car by about 15%, parts also will go up. Other items may only incur a lower tax, possibly about 3-5% guess who will be paying that, for example electronic programs etc..So that will be added to the UK item cost to stop the items increasing in the EU. Now add that to things like UK cars having to comply with EU laws, if not they will not be allowed into Europe, not even on holiday. Now, stuff coming to the UK may need to pay an exportation tax, especially food stuffs. That already happens to stuff like fresh fruit from African countries. There will almost certainly be a tax on planes coming from or going to the UK, guess who will be paying that.For instance coal from Germany.

So people happy xmas and do remember some price increases will hit immediately article 50 is signed but the rest will hit when you depart. An approximation of unemployment increase about 2% but with a rising amount. This will not happen immediately as there needs to be built the large complex for incoming stuff at ports especially Dover and the complex at Calais is now earmarked for both housing and factories.

Enjoy! That is exactly what those who cannot see voted for, not the majority, many thousands were blocked from voting.

you got what you wanted, or what you will get!

Hi all, the lies told to you are going to come back and bite, Those that were silly enough to want brexit are either politicians or of a lower intellect. If you could not see it coming then you are not a politician. It will pan out like this. For a new car going to the EEC there will be a tax, about 5-10%. That will be paid for by the UK buyers. This will increase the cost of a new car by about 15%, parts also will go up. Other items may only incur a lower tax, possibly about 3-5% guess who will be paying that, for example electronic programs etc..So that will be added to the UK item cost to stop the items increasing in the EU. Now add that to things like UK cars having to comply with EU laws, if not they will not be allowed into Europe, not even on holiday. Now, stuff coming to the UK may need to pay an exportation tax, especially food stuffs. That already happens to stuff like fresh fruit from African countries. There will almost certainly be a tax on planes coming from or going to the UK, guess who will be paying that.For instance coal from Germany.

So people happy xmas and do remember some price increases will hit immediately article 50 is signed but the rest will hit when you depart. An approximation of unemployment increase about 2% but with a rising amount. This will not happen immediately as there needs to be built the large complex for incoming stuff at ports especially Dover and the complex at Calais is now earmarked for both housing and factories.

Enjoy! That is exactly what those who cannot see voted for, not the majority, many thousands were blocked from voting.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018