back to article What should the Red Arrows' new aircraft be?

The Red Arrows aerobatic team will get new aircraft when their ageing Hawk T1s finally give up the ghost, the British Ministry of Defence said Tuesday. What should replace the Hawks, though? The venerable jet has been the mainstay of the Reds' fleet since 1979, wowing crowds at air shows around the world with their nail-biting …

Page:

1. La Barbe D'Action

Folland Midge

Yes, it was the forerunner of the Gnat, but surely this ticks a few boxes: light, manoeuverable, low-cost (potentially): http://www.britishpathe.com/video/worlds-lightest-jet-fighter

2. Phil the Geek

Thrust SSC

No aerobatics (hopefully) but a very impressive Mach 1 formation drive-by. I once saw a Dutch Air Force F-104 Starfighter display team that used a marginally slower and only slightly higher version of the same routine.

3. Stevie Silver badge

Bah!

What, no option to vote for "Supercar"?

Some fucking poll this is.

4. GSVNotInventedHere

Textron Scorpion (as already mentioned)

If it's not the Hawk T2, I think it may be the Scorpion (as mentioned in previous posts).

It's an un known aircraft at the moment that appeared out of nowhere that seems to match many emerging strategic roles that aren't filled as yet.

QuinetQ are currently flying it at the Royal Test Flight School I believe it's called and have yet to see how 'aerobat' it is. The wing looks a lot like a P-51 and we know how aerobat they were / are.

Saying that, I'd love to see some British AeroBoffin build a new airframe for the RR Merlin / Griffin engine that the RAF take up as an advanced trainer to replace the Tucano.

As the engine is not a TurboProp so nothing like the engine controls of a fast jet, it's highly unlikely.

5. wibblewobble

Hawker Tempest please

I always liked the Hawker Tempest, partly (as suggested by a previous commentard) because of the model I made of it as a kid, partly because of the stories about being fast enough to fly alongside doodlebugs and tip them over with a wingtip!

So they weren't slowed down at all by the pilot's balls of steel...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019