back to article Breaking 350 million: What's next for Windows 10?

After 12 months of “free” upgrades, it's now business for usual for Microsoft and the hard work begins on trying to shift paid-for Window 10. Microsoft closed the door on free upgrades from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on July 29. The Anniversary Update of Windows 10 arrived on August 2. From now on, if you want to …

Page:

1. SundogUK Silver badge

Re: 350,000,000 - 1 = ?

I had a slight hitch with USB drivers but otherwise Win 10 deleted, Win 7 installed for the win!

1. Ionas

What's next for Windows 10

Linux.

I'm so fed up with Microsoft treating my hardware as theirs, I'm going to switch all my systems to run Linux. It will likely even improve my privacy!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What's next for Windows 10

I shudder at the thought of running my desktop on Linux. There's just too much software that doesn't exist on Linux. Namely i) a decent email client that can talk to exchange servers ii) a good CAD package iii) MS Office (sorry Libre Office, too slow and not compatible enough) iv) Visual Studio (Eclipse is no where near as good).

A Mac would be a better choice for me, though it's not a complete replacement either.

1. SundogUK Silver badge

Re: What's next for Windows 10

Yup. MS Office and games remain a sticking point. And neither Mint or Ubuntu would play nice with my 3G dongle. (Fedora+Gnome seems to be possible but I've not tested it yet.)

2. Kev99 Silver badge

It appears that it's not technology or business needs pushing planned obsolescence in computers but rather Microsoft not knowing how to write tight, clean code. Add to that all the supposed "W10, Call Home" psuedo-malware and it's no wonder Win10 need 2GB to run. In my opinion, that's just more reason to not install Win10. And the sooner the hardware companies quit feeding the ravenous monster of Redmond by designing their equipment to Redmond's march instead of the their users needs, the better off the industry will be.

3. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Anybody else notice this?

Once upon a time (say, 15 years ago), one put $2000+ on one's credit card to buy a nice shiney new PC from, for example, Dell.

These days, a decent PC is well under $1000. About half or a third of the price, even assuming constant dollars.

PC sales down you say? In 'unit sales', so vastly worse in dollars.

Wait until a decent PC is just a lump in the HDMI cable. We're actually just about there. Maybe about four more Moore cycles, so about 8 years.

Future looks bleak for PC vendors.

1. jrwilheim

Re: Anybody else notice this?

"Once upon a time (say, 15 years ago), one put $2000+ on one's credit card to buy a nice shiney new PC from, for example, Dell."

And back then many fewer people bought them.

"These days, a decent PC is well under $1000. About half or a third of the price, even assuming constant dollars." Depends on what you call a "decent" PC but again, at a lower price people buy more of them.

4. Ted's Toy

Only reason for a home PC to have windows now is to play games.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not even that. Get yourself an xbox or a PS4 for that.

5. Ted's Toy

xbox and ps4 can't run Dosbox

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Friendly tip for Win 10 users

Use a local account, not Microsoft account. Easy step to minimize data mining by Microsoft.

It's going to get a lot worse in the coming years: The proliferation of Niantics' Pokemon game's augmented reality and everyone being profiled on a 'grid'. Skynet is nearer than you think.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Friendly tip for Win 10 users

A clippy with Obama's face...

7. Al Black

Unfair claims of requiring new kit to run Windows 10.

Windows 10 needs less resources than Windows 7 - when I upgraded Windows runs faster on the same hardware, so unless the Anniversary Update of Windows is a downgrade to bloatware (I haven't upgraded yet), there is no truth to this. Who runs Windows 7 or 8.1 on less than 2 Gb RAM? Everyone I know has 4 or 8Gb, so this is hardly a startlingly high requirement.

8. VulcanV5

Next for Windows 10 . . .

"What's next for Windows 10?" The Windows-9-but-we'd-better-not-call-it-that giveaway was less a marketing exercise as an experiment in materials science, the materials being millions of non-techie users, the science being all about pliability: just how far can those users be made to bend to Microshaft's will? If pressure upon them is progressively increased, will they bend yet further -- or break?

For all those who bent over fully to take their Microshafting, the next experiment will be in paid-for updates; after all, their pliability is already established, and so their wallets are within easy reach. For all those who either broke and said farewell, Redmond, or flatly refused to be experimented upon in the first place, what's next for Windows 10, or Microshaft, is of passing interest: a business so contemptuous of its customers is one to be forgotten rather than ever to be forgiven.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Next for Windows 10 . . .

In essence, it's the Nigerian Prince testing his marks, seeing who bites in spite of an atrociously formulated obviously fake pleas for help.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like